• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bartlein Steel Barrel vs Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel

That’s the first time I’ve seen that claim but I’ve been far from I’d call attentive to carbon.

It would be difficult to credit CF with barrel life improvements without a sufficiently robust sample and some sort of controlled testing regimen. I’ve seen limited testing for heat dissipation, but over short strings thermal mass favors the steel. It’d be interesting to hash out an experimental design...

It would be difficult to credit CF with barrel life improvements without a sufficiently robust sample and some sort of controlled testing regimen. I’ve seen limited testing for heat dissipation, but over short strings thermal mass favors the steel. It’d be interesting to hash out an experimental design...
Well said!
I had post 66 in this thread, and my sample size is miniscule, but at this time I would not buy a CF barrel for longevity. At 700 a pop, not a test I am willing to conduct either. I surely am not pointing a finger at any barrel maker though, we all shoot our rifles differently. I built a 2nd rifle in the exact configuration, same load, I'll make judgements based off it's performance.

At this time until I see some proper test data either from testing we've done or from a reputable test house where say test barrels in cf are compared to steel barrels and done in a controlled environment and the test parameters are done consistently etc....I say no....the CF won't necessarily last longer.

Why? Yes I agree the CF will heat up faster then an all steel barrel. Yes it will to a lesser extent cool a little quicker but I don't think it is enough to offset any type of a gain.

Remember.....every time you pull the trigger and light that round off depending on the caliber, powder etc...the flame temperature in the throat area of the barrel is on the low end 2200F and if I recall correctly on the high end can be as high as 4000F. Now factor in rate of fire, how often the barrel is being cleaned, the type of bullet being shot the barrel, how it's being cleaned and the environment it's being shot in, the type or lot of steel and how the barrel is made are all variables and have an effect on barrel life possibly in some way.

I don't feel a cf barrel fits every rifle and or should I say fits every need or application.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
Agreed, If it was better for heat dissipation they would use it in computers to cool processors instead of aluminum fins and fans

Some carbon materials are used as heat spreaders. They don't use it in current computers because there's no real advantage for the much higher cost.

I have been blessed to own custom rifles barreled with Obermyer, Shilen, Schneider, Lilja, Rock, Bartlien, Keiger, Chanlin, Lothar Walter, White Oak ... barrels.

I have also owned Christiensen CF wrapped barrels (15 years ago)

And now have 5 rifles barreled w/proof barrels.

The POI of the Christiensen barrels walked as they heated up. The Proofs have NOT walked even when stressed tested (30 shot strings). Maybe Christiensen have fixed heating issues since I owned them, I don't know.

Bottom Line:
- The Proofs provide the same precision (1/4 - 1/2 MOA that I am capable of shooting) as the other barrels. Are they competitive for bench rest? - I don't know. They are accurate enough for any PRS rifle.
- I have no evidence that Proofs last any longer than the other barrels ... I hope so but doubt it.
- Do they cool faster? I can't tell that they cool any faster than my Fluted match barrels.
- The main Proof advantage is for obtaining a better weight and balance.
- Get one if weight reduction is an issue.
- Get one if you think they are pretty. (You do get some extra "range cred" for showing up with one)

Is it worth the extra $300? ... Cheap range cred ...

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX
The different weave pattern may help the Proofs dissipate heat from the steel core better than the CA barrels. Heat transfers quickly down the length of carbon threads and slowly between layers of a CF cloth. On the CA barrels, the carbon threads are aligned lengthwise with the barrel and heat has to penetrate layers of carbon fiber cloth to dissipate. I don't see how that arrangement could act as anything other than an insulator. That might be fundamentally the source of the heating problem.

The rest of your observations are right on. A carbon wrapped barrel is probably not going to cool down any faster or be any more rigid than a steel barrel. What it will do is give you less weight and more prettiness for a given stiffness/cooling performance.

Oh look, I guess the Proof barrel does cool a little faster:

Last edited:
The different weave pattern may help the Proofs dissipate heat from the steel core better than the CA barrels. Heat transfers quickly down the length of carbon threads and slowly between layers of a CF cloth. On the CA barrels, the carbon threads are aligned lengthwise with the barrel and heat has to penetrate layers of carbon fiber cloth to dissipate. I don't see how that arrangement could act as anything other than an insulator. That might be fundamentally the source of the heating problem.

The rest of your observations are right on. A carbon wrapped barrel is probably not going to cool down any faster or be any more rigid than a steel barrel. What it will do is give you less weight and more prettiness for a given stiffness/cooling performance.

Oh look, I guess the Proof barrel does cool a little faster:

Also, check out Brian Litz barrel test from vol2 of his ballistic series. Good information there too. Its all been covered here too, somewhere.....

Reactions: physguy88
Everyone I know with a Bartlein and a proof , their Bartlein shoots more accurate groups. The proof barrels were only bought on certain platforms where weight wanted to be reduced. The proofs shoot good but didn’t do what the Bartlein did. The Proofs were more picky with ammo they said

Reactions: AMGtuned
Where does one find these coupons?

Carbonsix has their cyber sale still going for shouldered prefits that are $680 to your door if you call and get free shipping. It ends tomorrow IIRC but we grabbed one. The only experience i have with carbon barrels is my proof sendero and it shoots but it wasn't cheap. Everything i've found on carbonsix seems to suggest they're quality though.