• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Basic Survival and Compass Reading

GillJr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2009
NC
I am thinking of holding a class on basic compass/land navigation and marksmanship. It would be in the middle of winter in a swampy area. The first two days would be basic compass reading and marksmanship(Making sure you can shoot what you bring.). The following 3 days would incorporate land navigation/survival. It would be a 5 day class all togather so survival would be envolved too. Wondering if enough people are interested. It would be in south eastern NC. It would be in early January.

Re: Basic Survival/Markman/ and Compass Reading

It would envolve living out in the elements for 5 days. Building fires, base camp, hunting/fishing, and hiking.

I am interested. Are we talking precision marksman ship? Any kind of price in mind? I'd need a date by like thanksgiving tho. I work with AT&T and we pick our vacation just after turkey day for the upcoming year. But yeah, it sounds like a blast

I am interested also. Been looking for a class like this for a while~

also interested, would need to know dates, prices, and is this a company putting this on or just yourself?

I would be interested. Sounds like fun.

It would be me unless there is more then 4 people. Trying to figure up all the cost. But the class would start the first week after deer season. The very first of Jan. It will not involve precision shooting just basic marksmanship. Making sure you can shoot what you bring.
Let me work out some of the detail with the land owner to try and get a price.

Ok guys this has changed a little. It will be 4 days 3 nights. Starting Jan. 4 through Jan 7. We have decided not to make it to hardcore. Every evening we will have a hot meal. We will also provide something small for breakfast. But we are hoping for good fishing and some squirrels.

The class will be $250. With $50 due two weeks before Jan 4. The rest due when class/excursion begins.

Me and my partner have decided on 4 slots.

Id love to come, however I could never get the time off work, and asking for time off these days is a bad idea in my trade.

I'm down for it. I got plenty of vacation. Would love to learn more survival techniques.

If you got to ask, you don't want to know. Thanks for the heads up.

Guys, I am puting together a list of items you will be needing for the excursion. I should have it posted by the end of the week.

The excursion will be Jan. 4 through Jan. 7 / 4 days 3 nights

Items you will need to bring.

Wet weather gear (poncho/top&bottom)
Cold weather clothing at least 2 sets(layers guys)
Cold (30 deg.) weather sleeping bag
Good hiking boots (2 set)
Back pack/assault pack/ruck sack
Knee boots (might need them)
Orange hat/vest
Warm head cover
Compass (bring if you have)
Small notebook
Pencil/pen

Everything else is optional. It will be cold and possibly raining so come prepared. Make sure you bring plenty of socks to change into and two sets of boots. Also something to go between your sleeping bag and the ground (PT mat) would be nice. We will be gathering wood but some dry wood will already be provided. We will be fishing, mostly setting cat hooks. But if you have something you want to use bring it. There will be some small game hunting so bring your .22 or shotgun and ammo. You will be responsible for all items you bring.

If you have any health problems or you are on any medication please let me know.

The excursion will be $250 with $50 of that due two weeks before Jan 4. The rest due when excursion begins. There will only be 4 slots.

I love orienteering, and would like to be expert with map and compass, as well as know more about wilderness survival; but NC in the winter in the swamps is too ambitious for me, still your course sounds cool. Please post upcoming and less challenging courses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but NC in the winter in the swamps is too ambitious for me</div></div>

Does that mean a Wyoming Winter Course is out??

Sounds like it to me.

I actually did get lost in the Big Shirley Basin. It was in pursuit of Elk. After climbing a mountain to reach a plateau, a freezing rain slicked up the mountian so well I could not decend it. Searching for a way out I got lost, if I wasn't already. No compass, no topos, just stupid. Sun finally came out and down I came. It could have turned out me not coming down at all, or coming down too hard.

Yeah that does sound bad and you know your mistake. Just have to remeber and go out prepared.

Re: Basic Survival and Compass Reading

golownslow I wish there were 3 more people interested. I am going to give it untill the end of the business day. If there are not four people that PM me signing up then I am canceling the excursion.