• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

BCA Side Charging Upper

3rd Monkey

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2022
Pennsylvania
Anybody running one? Curios as to your results, since I got shit on for running one.

I've been using one for the past few years and couldn't find anything in the search.

Tip: ODIN Works Ragna handguard (and some others) will not fit without grinding off the tabs.

Anybody running one? Curios as to your results, since I got shit on for running one.

I've been using one for the past few years and couldn't find anything in the search.

Tip: ODIN Works Ragna handguard (and some others) will not fit without grinding off the tabs.
I have a x39 upper on an aero lower and love it. It's cheap, fun, reliable and surprisingly accurate. have not had a single issue in over 3k rounds and consistently hit inside body of a 4" pop up target at 200yds. absolutely love it and it loves tula. I too had to grind off the tabs on the handguard

Attachments

• 00000.jpg
    00000.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 1,187
I have a x39 upper on an aero lower and love it. It's cheap, fun, reliable and surprisingly accurate. have not had a single issue in over 3k rounds and consistently hit inside body of a 4" pop up target at 200yds. absolutely love it and it loves tula. I too had to grind off the tabs on the handguard
I'm not sure why they didn't catch on as much as I thought they would? Nothing but reliable and in combative simulation, smokes a standard charging handle upper.

I originally switched because of an AK course. Made sense at the time, having multiple rifles. Still my favorite to run.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
I'm not sure why they didn't catch on as much as I thought they would? Nothing but reliable and in combative simulation, smokes a standard charging handle upper.

I originally switched because of an AK course. Made sense at the time, having multiple rifles. Still my favorite to run.
I bought because I'm not an AK fan and x39 is still cheap and fun to shoot. Color me impressed as the complete upper cost 200, put the lower together for less than 200. it's a fun gun to shoot and so far, accurate and reliable. Hell, I bought a spare bolt and firing pin for inside the grip for another $40 bucks and plan on running this rig till it dies. Haven't cleaned it yet

Reactions: BAMAboy18
I bought because I'm not an AK fan and x39 is still cheap and fun to shoot. Color me impressed as the complete upper cost 200, put the lower together for less than 200. it's a fun gun to shoot and so far, accurate and reliable. Hell, I bought a spare bolt and firing pin for inside the grip for another $40 bucks and plan on running this rig till it dies. Haven't cleaned it yet
I clean mine about every 500 rds or so, even when running suppressed (dents the brass from a dirty chamber)... but do the same with my other rifles. Glad to know I'm not alone haha.

I was just wondering if someone had figured out how a charging handle beats a side charger... Ya know, what benefits there are?

I've used ARs extensively and don't mind the charging handle, but when thrown next to a side charger, I prefer the side charger.
Do you run combative scenarios or just plink with it?

because thier quality control is notoriously dogshit. I've seen 4 uppers from BCA junked because they were so badly out of spec (to the point of causing multiple issues). One of them took a no-go headspace gauge right at receipt... it was sent back.

edit : this is just addressing why it hasn’t caught on more. if they work they’re not bad, its getting a working one that’s the issue.

Last edited:
because thier quality control is notoriously dogshit. I've seen 4 uppers from BCA junked because they were so badly out of spec (to the point of causing multiple issues). One of them took a no-go headspace gauge right at receipt... it was sent back.
No shit... didn't know that. Mine has been exceptional.

I clean mine about every 500 rds or so, even when running suppressed (dents the brass from a dirty chamber)... but do the same with my other rifles. Glad to know I'm not alone haha.

I was just wondering if someone had figured out how a charging handle beats a side charger... Ya know, what benefits there are?

I've used ARs extensively and don't mind the charging handle, but when thrown next to a side charger, I prefer the side charger.
Do you run combative scenarios or just plink with it?
just plink, it's a cheap fun gun. don't get me wrong, it's a pig gun that I plink with.

Love mine - side charging seems superior. Liked my BCA side charger so much got another one.
My fighting rifle- No but I’d probably be okay cause they run and while not sub moa shoot just fine for the hog and coyote busting I wanted them for.
Lots of our hog hunting is canoe/boat accessible so if and when it goes in the drink I’ll just buy another

I’ve had a barrel fail go by a country mile too

I bought a side charger then resold it after looking at the machining marks, just not my thing

Reactions: SmolPP
I’ve had a barrel fail go by a country mile too

I bought a side charger then resold it after looking at the machining marks, just not my thing
You sold it because of machining marks on the upper?

My upper was far from perfect I guess, but after a few hundred rounds (honestly) my bolt feels like glass as would a bolt gun. No shit...

Thanks for the input though, seriously. I trust my life with this gun (go to over charging handle varieties).

You sold it because of machining marks on the upper?

My upper was far from perfect I guess, but after a few hundred rounds (honestly) my bolt feels like glass as would a bolt gun. No shit...

Thanks for the input though, seriously. I trust my life with this gun (go to over charging handle varieties).
If it’s been working for you and you have the necessary spare parts kit to fix it if it goes down, then more power to you.

Same with me and my MDRX. Desert Tech has absolutely had QC issues with that rifle, but mine has not so far (knock on wood) and I have the necessary parts to repair anything short of a catastrophic malfunction. I’ve run enough competitions and drills with it that I feel more at home with it than anything else, and the extra power and range are great to have for the size.

My biggest complaint really with the BCA design is that it prevents the use of the dust cover as designed in the original system, so it’s much more likely to have problems from environmental factors

Reactions: 3rd Monkey
Love side charging uppers. Not BCAs, but...and yeah, if you're going to roll the dice on a cheap barrel, Bear Creek isn't a bad way to go. Funny, more of em seem to shoot than Aero/BA these days. If they don't, their CS will swap them out until you get one that does.

Attachments

• 20220102_204605.jpg
    20220102_204605.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 302
  • 20220102_204150.jpg
    20220102_204150.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 743
Seems like it would be better suppressed , no gas blow back in your face, no?

Love side charging uppers. Not BCAs, but...and yeah, if you're going to roll the dice on a cheap barrel, Bear Creek isn't a bad way to go. Funny, more of em seem to shoot than Aero/BA these days. If they don't, their CS will swap them out until you get one that does.
I once put a aero 308 together for less than 500 on sales etc. I used a 69 dollar bull ss bca barrel that printed....... .68 with fgmm 168s! I $hit you not! wish I never sold it but I've had nothing but luck with them when I want to do a cheap beat the $hit of it type rifle

Reactions: JS8588
Seems like it would be better suppressed , no gas blow back in your face, no?
Not exactly. They put a plug in where your charging handle comes out (so it helps in that aspect) but that doesn't stop gas from the bolt. If you're over-gassed, you're over-gassed... just like with a charging handle. Especially in a CQB environment...

If it’s been working for you and you have the necessary spare parts kit to fix it if it goes down, then more power to you.

Same with me and my MDRX. Desert Tech has absolutely had QC issues with that rifle, but mine has not so far (knock on wood) and I have the necessary parts to repair anything short of a catastrophic malfunction. I’ve run enough competitions and drills with it that I feel more at home with it than anything else, and the extra power and range are great to have for the size.

My biggest complaint really with the BCA design is that it prevents the use of the dust cover as designed in the original system, so it’s much more likely to have problems from environmental factors
For what it's worth, I don't see the open bolt design as a flaw. I live in a swamp and have put it against AKs, etc, AND MDRs (combat simulation). Holds up as good, not better, but as good. That said, the MDR does a little better because (in real use) when you fall, you usually don't get the bolt in the shit. Same token... The MDR is a heavy ass bullpup, in consideration.

I’m very impressed with my 20” 556 1-7 standard uppper. I think I have 300$ or so in it. First two cold bore shots are in the bull, the rest printed pretty tight. Cheap Andersen lower with rise armement cheap trigger. The only thing I did was run a the tubbs final finish kit thru it before loading 73 grain elds with rl 15. I’m not sure if it helped or not, I didn’t test it prior.
13E05EFA-84F4-49D3-BE9C-5CABE34CA9ED.jpeg

I’m very impressed with my 20” 556 1-7 standard uppper. I think I have 300$ or so in it. First two cold bore shots are in the bull, the rest printed pretty tight. Cheap Andersen lower with rise armement cheap trigger. The only thing I did was run a the tubbs final finish kit thru it before loading 73 grain elds with rl 15. I’m not sure if it helped or not, I didn’t test it prior. View attachment 7854526
I was going to ask about the tubbs... but I saw the rest of your post. I have witnessed no difference between tubbs and a "normal" break in.

Which RA trigger, please?

For what it's worth, I don't see the open bolt design as a flaw. I live in a swamp and have put it against AKs, etc, AND MDRs (combat simulation). Holds up as good, not better, but as good. That said, the MDR does a little better because (in real use) when you fall, you usually don't get the bolt in the shit. Same token... The MDR is a heavy ass bullpup, in consideration.
oh I was mostly using that as a “use what works for you” example. several people on the forum would probably tell us to run out and “get a more reliable gun” but if it works, it works.

I wouldn’t compare the rifles since a well setup 7.62x39 AR is more of a CQ/urban machine while my MDRX is more designed around doing the same job as an M110 without being unwieldy as fuck in tight spaces.

I was going to ask about the tubbs... but I saw the rest of your post. I have witnessed no difference between tubbs and a "normal" break in.

Which RA trigger, please?
It’s the Rave curved shoe. I think I paid 140$ for it.
I threw this together as a test for the stress on upper thread I started a while back, I was hoping I could use it to test various locations of resting the rifle and bipod locations to determine if stress on the upper does affect groups. This group was shot off of a rest in about the middle of the hand rail.

Last edited:
oh I was mostly using that as a “use what works for you” example. several people on the forum would probably tell us to run out and “get a more reliable gun” but if it works, it works.

I wouldn’t compare the rifles since a well setup 7.62x39 AR is more of a CQ/urban machine while my MDRX is more designed around doing the same job as an M110 without being unwieldy as fuck in tight spaces.

I can agree with that. I wasn't aiming for a dick measuring contest either... just stating the use of both and what was noted and how real world stacks up against "simulated" expectations. The MDR had it's hiccups at the beginning, but they've ironed them out, far as I can tell. I wouldn't hesitate to take one into combat... After first swapping that muzzle break... haha.

Are we talking BCA low end complete uppers? or the BCA side charge receiver?
I have several and love it for prone shooting. Pretty strong upper.
Here one of mine;
No-Gas port 28" barrel, Cut ejector spring, DIY ambi bolt release. Running LONG Loaded single shot off a sled.
No-Eject.jpg

Attachments

• No-Eject.jpg
    No-Eject.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Here one of mine;
No-Gas port 28" barrel, Cut ejector spring, DIY ambi bolt release. Running LONG Loaded single shot off a sled.
so basically a straight pull bolt action AR. interesting choice

Yes. Since you have to single load for F-Class anyway, No-Gas isn't really a handicap.
Besides, it's just an upper. :)
Put together an almost identical one for the wife, but with gas.
Should be shooting it soon.
Both are X-Caliber, 28", 1:7, Bull, 5-R. One has a gas port :)
f-open-rig.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketvapor
Love mine - run it hard and any of the 3 have not failed . They don’t look like a $2000 rifle cause they are not but they run good if’n ya get a good one.

Dumb question, but do these side charging bags take standard bolts? Can I, for example, drop a 3rd party Grendel bolt into this bcg?

The Carrier is drilled for the side charge handle.
Bolt is compatible with standard AR-15 matching the round used.
Magazine needs to be compatible with round.
I use a 224V/6.8SPC bolt for 22 NOSGAR (converted from 6mm HAGAR)
and a 5.56 bolt for 22N/Dogtown brass.
I have a 7.62X39 but have not fired it yet.
Here is a complete upper 6.5G with right side charge,

BC-15 | 6.5 Grendel Right Side Charging Upper | 20" Parkerized Straight Fluted Heavy Barrel | 1:8 Twist | Rifle Length Gas System | 15" MLOK https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/6-...5-mlok-rail-sch-upper-nrail-spiral-flash.html

I'm not using a BCA barrel. Just the Upper Receiver/BCG.
Here;s a shot of the wife with her AR, with gas (cut WAY down).

The receivers I have needed some lapping of the face for a nice complete contact circle.
They are NOT thermal fit like some high end uppers and will need some type of shimming.
I mask and spray rattle can high heat paint on the extension, burnish smooth with very fine grit for a real thermal fit (about 0.002" interference).
Heat receiver in oven to 200+F, barrel in freezer @ about 4F. Slip together and hand tighten nut until parts are near room temperature.
22NOSLERSHIM.jpg

Last edited:
I will mention the only drawback that these have is you have to unscrew the charge "knob" to remove the bolt for cleaning. Could be something of an issue if you need to remove the bolt in field.

You are correct. When shooting prone I keep a hex wrench in the ammo box just in case and a spare BCG in my range box.
Gen 1 Vs Gen 2 knob
BCA_Gen2.jpg

Made this handle for a regular Carrier that doesn't need a wrench :)
bolthandle.jpg

Here's another pic of a couple BCA upper receivers back in 2017.
Wife shooting a 22" .223 Wylde, and me with a 21 inch Heavy barrel blank. Both Green Mountain barrels.
Lots of sand around and got some in the rifle, probably through the missing dust cover, during sight in.
Dust cover opens on a regular receiver after first shot so can't blame the BCA receiver.
Just felt a little rough and didn't want to damage anything.
Had a back up upper and shot that.
Flo-and-Glenn-at-450yd.jpg

Last edited:
only comment I have is if you plan to use anything BCA, gauge the crap out of it to make sure it's a good part before taking it to the range.

common issues with the carrier is the bolt race being oversized leading to gas bleed, and headspace and firing pin protrusion problems.

Guess I've been lucky.
I use a LWRC 6.8 bolt for the 22 NOSGAR and the BCA 5.56 bolt in my No-Gas 22N.
The wife's Gasser has about 400 rounds on it now with no issues (gets dirtier than my No-Gas :) ) and over 2000 rounds on mine.

Out of ALL my bolts, spares included I've NEVER found one that varied in headspace more than 0.001".
0.154" to 0.1545" with a spec of 0.156" -0.003".
Pin protrusion is pretty easy to measure @ 0.028" to 0.036".

HeadSpace_Good Bolt.jpg

Last edited:
have had 4 and all were perfect with hard use. I still have 1 on a x39 and runs like a top

Attachments

• 00000.jpg
    00000.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 43
I run one... I shoot left handed anyways and wanted something that didn't leak gas in the rear. I'm using just the upper and BC. Cam was extremely gritty/sticky and was replaced with a POF roller cam. Barrel fit was decent but I still use bearing retention compound.

Overall I wouldn't really recommend but if you're looking for an AK style side-charger, that's the ticket. Completely fine for my application.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_112235.jpg
    IMG_20221109_112235.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 67
Here one of mine;
View attachment 7856455
I have a BCA side charger on an AR15 and would love to know who makes and AR barrel with no gas port. I'm interested in putting together a 224 Valkyrie in similar fashion to yours. TIA

One was a Green Mountain barrel blank.
Chambered .223 https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-b4-21-223-wylde-gunsmith-edition-barrel-blank-1-7-twist/
Probably will have a 25% off Black Friday sale.
This one I have some fun at my local range. No gas port, Won't Cycle :). Front sight base and cleaning rod.
Always get some one explaining dwell time to me.
What-Is-Dwell-Time.jpg

P1210604.jpg

The other is from X-caliber. I called and requested NO Port.
They have a 20% off sale several times a year.
You can get a 224V from them with a 2 to 3 month lead time.

You can also install a gas block backwards and get close to the same.
Probably a better way to go. Did that with an ARP 22N barrel.

With heavy barrels (0.936" gas journal) handguard clearance to gas block may be an issue.
Had to cut a little clearance for the wife's gasser
P1000153.jpg

Last edited:
BCA order delivered this morning by Fed Ex.
Finish is nice. Will gauge the crap out of it to make sure it's a good part.
Have a month or so to wait for my next barrel.
BCA-Uppers.jpg

I've been shooting my 16" 223 pretty regularly, accurate & dependable. I have a 10" 9mm that I just finished, but yet to test. And also have a 10" 7.62x39 that's in the works, and I too just ground tabs and cut a notch to access the adjustment screw for the gas block on the handguard.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
Rocket,
Thanks very much for your reply. I've been shooting the 224V for four years now and have had great results at distance (1K so far) but have been excited to see with @lowlight is doing with the caliber, hence this seems like a good way to set up a "bolt" gun with an AR lower. One final question, I'm shooting 88s, 90s and 95s, all for distance shooting. Do you recommend a 26" or 28" barrel from X caliber? TIA.

Forgot to add, 24" barrels on my 224V gas guns.

Last edited:
The 28" will likely give a little more speed. Shooting prone, I picked the heaviest profile they offered.
Don't forget the sale coming up for Black Friday.
I shot hotter but 88s (and 85.5s) @ just a little under 3000fps seems to do best.
I don't think a thin walled upper would handle the weight as well as the BCA (or other stronger upper).
With the 22N I would go with a 30" if I could find one :)
I put a AMU Shim in each of my long barrel uppers and shim the adjustable stock to eliminate rattle.
The AR isn't gonna match lowlight's bolt gun. A real good trigger will help. So far I like the Larue MBT 2 stage the best.
I've only been to 600 so far. I really want to at least Master midrange before moving to 1000.

I put together a gasser almost identical to mine but with minimal gas and a cut ejector spring. Dribbles out rounds. Locks back if adjusted for load. Hers works so well, my next barrel, on order, will have a gas port. That will give me the option of gas or no-gas.

Here's some 100 yard practice on a rainy day. 20 shot average was 3010fps with a LabRadar.
88s-in-the-rain.jpg

Last edited:
Great information. I agree that the BCA side charging upper (I have two) is thick enough for the job. I also have one of the LaRue 2 stage on one of my 224V gassers. As a side note, I've gotten 2930 fps with the 85.5s out of my 24" Valk (can't swear to accuracy as I was only testing for speed) but a "bolt" gun or facsimile should be a bit faster and a lot nicer to brass.
Thanks again for you reply.