• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bear Pit Thread About Bears.

beets. bears. battlestar galagtica.

i have had many encounters with black bears-most are timid. bears are like people, each individuals and responses vary. been very up close and personal in a mexican standoff with a particularly large bear-we both left the encounter unscathed.

i do laugh at the number of people overly concerned with bears. with all the shit out there we encounter, people get fixated on that. the most dangerous creature in the world is the internet bear.

and while we are on the subject of bears.......

BCC91069-569B-4994-99E2-E1BFF61224C3.jpeg

how about bear naked?

• Haha
Reactions: Darayavaus
I don't have to run faster than a bear. I just have to run faster than you can run.

Don't forget Drop Bears...
How do you identify a drop bear?

Drop Bear

Identification. Around the size of a leopard or very large dog with coarse orange fur with some darker mottled patterning (as seen in most Koalas). The creature is told as a heavily built animal with powerful forearms for climbing and holding on to prey.

1693868793241.png

Attachments

• 1693868132085.png
    1693868132085.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 12
1693869528336.png

My friends the White's were on this tour in Alaska... when an original 1960's Shelby got 'mauled.' The owner left Fig Newtons behind the seat in a bag. Bear completely tore the roof apart to get the cookies!

Owner should have sold the rights to the story to Nabisco and made enough to buy two more Cobra's!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Got a bear tag this year. Saw 3 last year on my deer hunt, might turn into a bear hunt! Alright, ill sack up and try for both. Its surprising how many are in southern az in the desert!

Mine from a couple of years ago. This is him in his prime. Biggest bear I ever saw in VT.
bear alive.jpg
bear 9d.jpg

Two years later when I finally got him... He weighed in at only about 270 (Dressed) and he was badly eaten up with cancer. He wouldn't have made it through the winter. He must have been in massive pain.

Ummmm... bear jerky!

Sirhr

I recently started EDC around my property that borders the FS on 3 sides, why?? It's because I'm watching the series "I was PREY"!
Crap one guy was having coffee on his front porch and got ugly mauled up by a crazy black bear and another horribly mauled near Payson AZ.

Not on the show but another guy was killed last year near Prescott AZ by a black bear.

Found out from the show that coyotes and raccoons can cause serious damage as well.

Watch it to let the reality of one unexpected encounter sink in, eek.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Eating apples in the front yard. Interesting to watch, as he would sniff an apple, and either munch the whole thing, or roll it with his nose and go for the next one.

Attachments

• bear2.jpg
    bear2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3429.jpg
    IMG_3429.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Eating apples in the front yard. Interesting to watch, as he would sniff an apple, and either munch the whole thing, or roll it with his nose and go for the next one.
Any animal, human included, is picky when options are plentiful. When times are lean, those that survive best adapt and make due with what can be found.

Mine from a couple of years ago. This is him in his prime. Biggest bear I ever saw in VT.
View attachment 8219769View attachment 8219771
Two years later when I finally got him... He weighed in at only about 270 (Dressed) and he was badly eaten up with cancer. He wouldn't have made it through the winter. He must have been in massive pain.

Ummmm... bear jerky!

Sirhr
What weapon did you get him with? I know someone who hunted black bear with a .300 WSM.

Ummmm... bear jerky!

Sirhr
I still remember the bear jerky you served us at the pre meeting near blakely, GA . That stuff was tasty 😋!
This was the source I guess?

beets. bears. battlestar galagtica.

i have had many encounters with black bears-most are timid. bears are like people, each individuals and responses vary. been very up close and personal in a mexican standoff with a particularly large bear-we both left the encounter unscathed.

i do laugh at the number of people overly concerned with bears. with all the shit out there we encounter, people get fixated on that. the most dangerous creature in the world is the internet bear.

and while we are on the subject of bears.......

View attachment 8219613

how about bear naked?
You bastard.

Reactions: myronman3
I recently started EDC around my property that borders the FS on 3 sides, why?? It's because I'm watching the series "I was PREY"!
Crap one guy was having coffee on his front porch and got ugly mauled up by a crazy black bear and another horribly mauled near Payson AZ.

Not on the show but another guy was killed last year near Prescott AZ by a black bear.

Found out from the show that coyotes and raccoons can cause serious damage as well.

Watch it to let the reality of one unexpected encounter sink in, eek.

The NUMBER ONE cause of death throughout human history has been getting caught unprepared... And that takes many forms. It can be someone unprepared and lacking essential knowledge to realize when a simple fever may be something worse, and fail to get a child or loved one to emergency treatment on time, thus resulting in their death. It can also be someone who decides to take a quick shortcut one foggy morning to go take a shit in a nearby ravine while hunting and leave his gear back at his tent, only to have a very hungry bear or big cat obliterate him.

It doesn't matter if we are in the age of 5G Internet and touchscreen phones, or we are Danish explorers of a wild and completely uninhabited eastern Canadian island shortly before Duke William of Normandy laid claim to the throne of England... Being caught unprepared in a seemingly trivial and momentary situation can result in immediate death or long term consequences. It is actually MORE dangerous the farther we progress in technology, because coming from a society where everything is available at the swipe of a screen means that people will get more complacent and more ignorant to potentially dangerous things. In the 1800s, travelers on Wells Fargo stagecoaches traversing the western plains did not try to pet the buffalo when the coach stopped and the driver got out to take a piss...

Reactions: steve123 and lash
Thought someone was breaking into the house one night a few months back. This big black bear just stopped by to get the sugar water out of the hummingbird feeder. Been watching him for three years now. Easily 6'+ standing with a distinct white patch on his chest.

IMG_6316.jpeg

IMG_6323.jpeg

Ummmm... bear jerky!

Sirhr
That knife looks familiar! :D

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
When the fall bears feed on the blueberries, the meat has a delicious taste.
That is absolutely a fact ! We’ve shot several bears in the upper peninsula of MI and several near Snead Ontario and fall berry fed bears is wonderful table fare !

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
I did a trip to Alaska and was told a couple of interesting things, true not sure.
we were fishing for King salmon and the guide told us Bears will not eat the salmon that come from hatcheries. Don't no why or how they can tell but I thought that was interesting.
The other was I was with a tour group and the guide who was this 90lb. blonde college girl who grew up in the area, told the group they really only have black bears in the area and not to worry if they come around they are like squirls just stomp your feet at them and they will run away. lol.