• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bear Pit Thread About Bears.

At my old place in south central PA had a *about* 400 lb black fall thru the wooden ft porch and get stuck.
Had to 44 mag him before he tore up the porch too bad, gave the meat to a shelter place thing.

Up in NorCal in the Trinity area had apple trees in the yard, huge maybe 500+ lb sow would go after the apples on the ground....that had rotted and fermented and were thereby alcoholic.
She would eat them till she was so drunk she would pass out....then wake up with the runs :/
Bar shat everywhere.....and since our house was in the woods....well, there ya go.
Still, fun to watch a drunken bear I kid you not.

Been charged by griz twice.
Once about 50 miles north of Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories hadta kilt it with a 338/378 mag. About 900lbs.
Once on the Kenai, he took 3 rounds 300WbyMag and 5 rounds 454 Casull to put down. Squared 10ft and weighed just over 1100 lbs.

Appears he was using a Sporterized 1903 Springfield, nice.

I learned that bears are attracted to crow feathers, I hunted the same properties for 15 years and never saw a bear. The one year I shot a crow at 300 yards the day before rifle season and decided to put the feather in my suppressor cover.

I killed the first bear I’d ever seen while hunting the next morning and then the second day I played hide and go seek with another pair of bears on the walk back to my stand. Took the feather out and I have not seen a bear since.

IMG_8735.jpeg

Appears he was using a Sporterized 1903 Springfield, nice.

I learned that bears are attracted to crow feathers, I hunted the same properties for 15 years and never saw a bear. The one year I shot a crow at 300 yards the day before rifle season and decided to put the feather in my suppressor cover.

I killed the first bear I’d ever seen while hunting the next morning and then the second day I played hide and go seek with another pair of bears on the walk back to my stand. Took the feather out and I have not seen a bear since.

View attachment 8220514
Are you sure that wasn’t Disney’s Dumbo story? 😁 jk.

Get another feather, for gosh sakes!

Are you sure that wasn’t Disney’s Dumbo story? 😁 jk.

Get another feather, for gosh sakes!

Well I did kill a buck that morning too so it was kind of like a fairy tale ending.

That one was such a pain in the ass I’m not sure I want another one. It died on the backside of a steep ridge so it took our group over an hour to get it out of the woods then a couple more hours were spent waiting for the neighbors to come see it and take it to the check station.

Since this was during prime time opening day of deer season, I was happy I got it but I kinda felt bad that everyone was helping me with the bear instead getting to hunt themselves. Plus it was expensive, this was pre Covid and it still cost me $1,400 bucks for the rug and skull. After talking to the taxidermist based on his price increases it would probably be over $2,000 now.

I also found out that it is apparently common practice to shoot them in the ass with a shotgun after they are getting into the trash as mine was peppered with birdshot.

And the paws without skin? They look like hands, weirdest god damn part of the whole thing.

Saying GO AWAY BEAR, politely at first.
View attachment 8220455
Eh, I don’t know about that pic. If I was really feeling threatened by a bear, I’d have both hands on the gun and zero hands on the phone trying to take a picture of it. This would be a moment for total concentration and maximum performance, not a one-handed handicapped shot.

McNeil River Refuge, Alaska. Go there and it is the Disney land of bears. 51 individual bears counted in a single instance of a 360 view when the sockeye salmon were spawning at the falls. I will say that watching them efficiently strip the skin off a salmon that is still wriggling makes a little chill go through you. The last one with the bear napping was only 20 feet away from us. Never felt threatened even with a bear three feet away. 😎😎😎
1693966231646.jpeg

1693966519250.jpeg

1693967175191.jpeg

1694026439847.png

Lets not forget the infamous Owsley 'Bear' Stanley.

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Owsley_StanleyOwsley Stanley - Wikipedia

Live albums recorded by Owsley Stanley include Bear's Choice by the Grateful Dead, Old & In the Way by the bluegrass group of the same name, Live at the Avalon Ballroom 1969 by the Flying

And of course the song about him.

Reactions: ZiaHunter
This guy comes through my yard about 3 times a year. This pic was a few weeks ago.
1000000971.jpg

This guy tracked me for about 170yds while I was bowhunting elk
IMG_20170916_085501_281.jpg

This 6yr old boar was too pretty to pass up. Plus my daughter insisted I shoot him, she spotted him on the mountain side before I did.
IMG_0660.JPG