Bears fans?

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Any Chicago Bears viruses... I mean fans , here? Thoughts on the offseason so far? Expectations for the upcoming season?

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Ugh, my wife is an eagles fan. Thankfully she doesn’t pay very close attention to any sport so it’s not so bad

fxdwgkd

Private
Belligerents
Dec 9, 2013
NE Indiana
We are a house divided, myself and oldest son are bears fans, wife and youngest son are packer fans. We all agree on ND so we can be civil.
Upcoming seasons expectations are going to be a little better than last year but not as good as year before.

Reactions: The D

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
My high school girlfriend was a packer fan. We were able to be civil during the games but there were definitely hostilities exchanged

My wife and I have definitely lost some interest in football over the years so our sons may not care at all, which will be fine with me

Maverick3009

Private
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
I'm not as big of a Bears fan as I used to be but over the past couple seasons I've been paying a bit more attention.

I'm interested to see how the Foles trade pans out for them. Their defense 'should' surely be top 3 in the league with the additions of Robert Quinn, Jaylon Johnson, and Tashaun Gipson. Definitely filled some shortcomings on the defense. However their O-line still concerns me and the amount of attention they've paid to the TE spot bugs me. I know he's not a perfect fit for Nagy's offense but I'm hoping they figure out a way to pick up Warford after he was released by the Saints.

Reactions: The D

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
From what I’ve heard, the OL coaches they got rid of were more of a problem than the players. The system they were trying to use was overly complicated and difficult for the players to pick up. Just based on that, the offense should be marginally better. And if the offense can improve to just “not too shitty” they can definitely make the playoffs. And, if the defense stays even a tiny bit healthier than last year they should be better than ‘18 which is insane to say

Reactions: Maverick3009

Maverick3009

Private
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
From what I’ve heard, the OL coaches they got rid of were more of a problem than the players. The system they were trying to use was overly complicated and difficult for the players to pick up. Just based on that, the offense should be marginally better. And if the offense can improve to just “not too shitty” they can definitely make the playoffs. And, if the defense stays even a tiny bit healthier than last year they should be better than ‘18 which is insane to say
Damn, I hadn't heard about that but it makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Nagy starts to look for more of a balance between the run and the pass instead of focusing so much on moving the ball through the air. I think David Montgomery has a lot more in him than they're giving him credit for. I'll be honest, Foles was not one of my first choices at quarterback for them to pickup. I was rooting for Carr (If LVR released him), Andy Dalton (good ol' Red Rocket), and then Foles. However after they did make the trade and I looked into their reasoning as to why the chose him, I'm a lot more comfortable and optimistic about it. Also intrigued to see how Mooney and Ted Ginn Jr. do. I really liked Gabriel but both of them easily rival his speed.

And I agree with you on defense. I'm really excited to see how Mack and Quinn on opposite edges will do as well as getting a good, seasoned strong safety in Gipson allowing Jackson to focus on being a free safety and a ball hawk. A lot of the pieces coming together do seem promising.

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Don’t hold your breath waiting on more run game, that’s not how an Andy Reid offense works, or at least a run game the is common around Chicago. If Jimmy Graham can be even a shadow of his former self and Cole Kmet can contribute any this year I think the offense could improve significantly. And maybe, just maybe, not look like a peewee football offense...

The only thing on defense I truly want to see is everyone staying healthy. If that happens, the sky is the limit for the D. Looking at the additional players they signed/drafted combined with the previous success this crew had the potential is absolutely fucking terrifying.

Maverick3009

Private
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
Agreed, I was confused and slightly disappointed that they picked a TE given the other talent that was available at the time but I'm trying to stay optimistic for him. Still think they over payed Jimmy G but it's done now so hopefully he can produce. Shouldn't be difficult for him to be better than Shaheen or Burton so we'll see.

The D

Resident anarchist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
A houseplant is more effective than burton or shaheen.

I try not to get too caught up in who gets drafted or signed in free agency. Us fans only have a tiny understanding of player evaluations in the overall context of the team and that players fit.

Maverick3009

Private
Belligerents
Feb 16, 2017
Indiana
I agree. Whenever we sign someone or pick someone up, I have an opinion of it as a fan of course but I don't get upset about it like some people do. The coaches and front office have much more knowledge and insight than I do.

Darayavaus

Anti-Globalist
Belligerents
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2019
I'm not as big of a Bears fan as I used to be but over the past couple seasons I've been paying a bit more attention.

I'm interested to see how the Foles trade pans out for them. Their defense 'should' surely be top 3 in the league with the additions of Robert Quinn, Jaylon Johnson, and Tashaun Gipson. Definitely filled some shortcomings on the defense. However their O-line still concerns me and the amount of attention they've paid to the TE spot bugs me. I know he's not a perfect fit for Nagy's offense but I'm hoping they figure out a way to pick up Warford after he was released by the Saints.
St Nick is arguably the best QB who played for the Eagles in the last decade.

Why Chip the Moron ever traded him for Sammy Sleeves can only be explained by the understanding that Chip was, in fact, a moron.
Frat boy Doug has no such excuse though. Doug watched Nick win the greatest Superbowl of all time, out dueling Tom Brady and even catching a TD pass. The thing with Nick is that when the OC game plans to Fole's strengths, the guy is fantastic. When these other teams around the league take Foles and try to square peg him into a round hole, then he looks bad. But that's more of an indictment against their coaching than Foles' potential as a starter.