• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Bedding/Action fitment questions

Notdylan

Privates
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2017
Beechgrove, Tennessee
I was gifted a Manners stock inletted for a Remington Model 7 and I just so happen to have a rusty Model 7 laying around. When I put the action into the stock, there is maybe a 1/16" of play with the action screws tightened down. Will bedding take care of this? Is it common to need to create a buildup of bedding (I assume mostly on the trigger/mag side) to remove any play? Or are the pillars perhaps too short? Also, both of my action screws protrude into the action and inhibit removing/closing the bolt. Will the bedding buildup solve this? Should I grind down the screws or can shorter ones be ordered? I have never bedded an action before but would like to give it a try, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200411_125853.jpg
    MVIMG_20200411_125853.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 62
  • MVIMG_20200411_125938.jpg
    MVIMG_20200411_125938.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 69
  • MVIMG_20200411_125558.jpg
    MVIMG_20200411_125558.jpg
    403.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Looking at your third picture, is it possible it was inletted for a different bottom metal than the factory pieces?

Definitely a possibility and something I have wondered about. I'm not 100% certain of the origin of the stock, it was sent to my employer as a sample, that's all I know.

It would appear that the stock is inlet for the Badger M7 DBM. I just installed one in my M7 and it looks almost identical to that inlet.

It would appear that the stock is inlet for the Badger M7 DBM. I just installed one in my M7 and it looks almost identical to that inlet.

Could be! Looks like the badger dbm kit comes with bedding pillars but the stock already has some installed. I wonder if they are the same? Not sure what to do here.

Most anything fitment related can be fixed with bedding, including the bottom metal.
Change out pillars depending on fit/elevation of the DBM to the receiver.

In the last picture the receiver is unable to seat down properly into the stock- the inletting visible just ahead of the bolt handle cutout looks "off"- but it might be the angle of the shot. What's keeping the receiver from dropping lower?

Most anything fitment related can be fixed with bedding, including the bottom metal.
Change out pillars depending on fit/elevation of the DBM to the receiver.

In the last picture the receiver is unable to seat down properly into the stock- the inletting visible just ahead of the bolt handle cutout looks "off"- but it might be the angle of the shot. What's keeping the receiver from dropping lower?

The receiver will drop lower and sit flush with the inlet, that is just showing the amount of slop that is present with the action screws fully tightened.

The more I look at the DBM inlet, it does appear to be a close match to the Badger unit, which is not cheap. I was hoping to not invest too much into this rifle, the plan was to bed it at home and rattle can it.