• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bedding in front of the recoil lug and POI

Robdaniels

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
I am getting really to install pillars and then full action bed a wood stock my Remington 700 270 WSM.. I have had B&C stocks, to much flex, and have a HS stock now on a Ruger 300 Win Mag, but another HS stock just isn't in my budget at this time. Just retried this year and still waiting to fully adjust, besides I have always loved the look and feel of a really nice CDL wood stock.

Any way when bedding the Broughton LT Varmint Sporter barrel I am undecided to bed the first 1.5 to 2 inches of the barrel in front of the recoil lug. In a "Stress Free Bedding" wouldn't the bedding under the first couple of inches of the barrel cause stress once it warmed up and expanded? I don't think that barrel is heavy , 4.5 lbs, 3 inch shank, enough to really require the additional support is it? I would think a totally stress free bedding job would keep the POI very close, cold, warm or fouled. That's what I hopping for anyway.

Your thoughts please. I am the kind of guy that likes to really understand how things work. Maybe I am over thinking it, but that is why I am asking you guys that have tons more experience than I do.

Thanks

I use 20 mil tape in that area, I am no expert but followed the technique by Darrell Holland. Here is a link to one of his AGI training videos, not sure how long the video will be up. Skip to around the 50-54 minute mark.

Home depot has 20 mil tape in the plumbing section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp17j08XQhE

Last edited:
No need, especially with a relatively light contour like that...makes a rebarrel alot easier too.

Or you could use the 20 mil tape and bed the whole forarm/barrel channel... one less location for moisture to gain access to the stock and it should also increase its strength.

Sporter barrel...bedded the first 1.25"-1.5" (haven't measured it), shoots great...even with 10 fast shots, no vertical stringing....I've never fired more than 10 in a string, this is a hunting rifle.

Worst case scenario....you bed the chamber area, it does string shots vertically...only takes 5 minutes to remove the bedding under the chamber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
True, I can always remove it, but I am going to free float from the recoil on out. More yes than nos on the subject.
Plus side is I can always add it too.
Thanks guys!

Ridge, that is a darn nice looking rifle. Winny in a McMillan edge? Which chambering? Mix ratio?

Thank you!

Its a Winchester...a new one (FN made)...the stock isn't an EDGE, its the McMillan Supergrade model...its a 30-06, was originally planned to be a 280AI, but I changed my mind (never shoot the donor!!!)...I didn't want the EDGE because the target weight for this rifle was 9 lbs...not too heavy to carry, not too light to shoot.

Mix ratio...olive, black, medium tan...33% of each.

The tan looks very much like gray...its just the way the colors mixed...if I had it to do over, I'd probably use one of the brown colors in place of the tan...but overall I'm very pleased with the stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, that stock is now on my short list for my M70 7x57.

OP good luck with your bedding job.