• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

bedding the bottom metal, yeh I said it.

pre64marksman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Apologies for this if its rediculous.

blush.gif

But I wanted to ask if for say a thin 1mm or so gap between stock pillar and bottom metal, could the bottom metal be bedded to the stock? Action bedding I know of but I've never heard of bedding the bottom metal. Or would if be better to ad a shim to the pillar rather than bedding compound alone?-Or both?
eek.gif

Re: bedding the bottom metal, yeh I said it.

yes you can bed the bottom metal...some very well known 'smiths do it all the time. Lots of others say it's a waste of time..I haven't done any of mine.

Thanks for the info! A pillar that is a little short(oops!) may need it. The Bttm metal sits on one and from the outside it looks correct, and the fit feels like its down proper. Well it is down pat on one of the pillars, and partly the floorplate is also resting on bottom of stock. When floorplate is released it allows me to push the bttm metal around like a teeter totter back n fourth between the un-even pillars. The movemnt isn;t much although I'd say .8mm is a lot when thinking about tolorances!

I've done two of mine after opening them up to fit a new dbm, go for it.