• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Been Charged Oversize Baggage Fees on Airlines???

Player

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2011
I need to transport a rifle and was looking at checking it since I'll be flying anyway. Problem is that the rifle case doesn't fit within the standard airline linear size (L+W+H) of 62". Have you guys been charged oversize baggage fees? And what airline were you flying when you either were or were not charged?

I know someone at Delta who said that they consider it a sporting good item and don't worry about the size -- so long as it's in a standard hard rifle case. I called Frontier and the guy didn't have a clue. After and extended time on hold he stated that "the help desk said that if it's linear size is greater than 62" then it will incur oversize baggage fees".

I haven't seen too much discussion on this particular topic (fees), and am interested to hear what your experiences have been.

Re: Been Charged Oversize Baggage Fees on Airlines???

Never got charged for it on any airlines I have flown like American, Delta, Continental, Southwest, US Air or United. It's sporting good item. I fly mostly Delta now. Just go up and throw it on the scale and don't ask unless they try and charge you.

If you have to take it then i would NOT ask if its oversize. Its way easier to get forgiveness than permission
smile.gif

I have never been charged for oversize, just make sure your within the weight requirements or they will nail you for that.

Normaly I fly Southwest. Most of the time I haven't been charged. The one time I was, and that was on the way back. That being the case I realy think it just depends on whho you get at the check in. On the one flight (Denver to Jacksonville) the guy just said dont worry about setting it on the scale since there is no way your making weight with that. The guy was a hunter and shooter as well. On the way back the gal at the counter in Jacksonville damned near had a coronary whe I said I had a couple firearms to check through. Ended up picking up a $125 baggage fee on that leg. It all worked out as it would have been higher for the bags total on most any other airline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Normaly I fly Southwest. </div></div>

Thank You

Thanks, guys! Sounds like most have had pretty good luck, although nobody on Frontier. I like the forgiveness vs permission theory, but My worry is that I'll show up and try and play cool and hope for the best, then they're going to hit me with $125 fee...I don't feel much like spending that much money that I could use elsewhere. Man I wish I was flying a different airline. It's kind of sad how different your experience (and how light your wallet) can be based on the person at the desk.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences out of Indianapolis International?

Just don't go to the overweight liberal chick behind the counter and you'll be good to go...

Lol!!!
laugh.gif

Just for fun I contacted Frontier via email and after they llisted paragraphs of legaleze stating that if I violate x, y & z that I would be prosecuted up to 10k per violation they said:

"Excess, oversize and overweight charges apply if applicable. Please remember items which exceed 62 linear inches (length + width + depth) or weigh more than 50 pounds will incur a fee. There is a $75 fee for bags exceeding these weight limitations and a $75 fee for exceeding the size limitation. These fees are charged separately and one item can incur multiple fees."

I will NOT be flying Frontier again. Even if I'm not transporting rifles etc, I just don't feel like supporting this kind of attitude toward law abiding gun owners.

As I mentioned in your Pelican/foam thread, I've flown quite a bit with a rifle/Pelican 1750 case in recent months. Never had a problem being hit with the $125.00 over-sized charge on the rifle case, although you will pay a $25-$35 "extra bag" fee if you have another checked bag such as a suitcase, like I did. So far, I've flown United, Delta, and Northwest, and had no problems (other than lugging that heavy-assed Pelican case in addition to my suitcase and a laptop, LOL).

Funny thing is, even though I also carry about one hundred fifty rounds of .308 match ammo in my suitcase (which is why I also had to have a second checked bag), the only thing I've ever been tabbed on is my Red Tac rear bag. I had it in my carry-on bag and apparently it looked very odd to the scanner operator.

What Ghogs Nightmare said. FWIW, the weight of the 1750 case with a GAP inside, NF 12-42x56 scope, one empty mag, and two master locks on the outside was right at 38 lbs., which is well under the 50 lb weight limit for overcharge.

I've flown several times with Delta and USAir. If the case is over 50# they charge for excess weight, but the size of the case hasn't been an issue at all.

I shoould probably clarify what the $125 fee came from. I had gone to a shoot in GA and was giving a talk one evening on the different types of rifles I built for different purposes. I had 1 Storm case with a beast of a 308 in it along with all of my ammo for the shoot, a tuffpak that held 2 more rifles, and 2 1911's along with some of my range gear. Then there was an eberlestock pack that was stuffed to the gills with the remainder of my range gear, and my clothes for 7 days. SO you had to add up 1 extra bag, and each of the bags were over the weight limit. Basicly there was a lot of crap in there. On airlines that allow the ammo to travel in the same case as the rifle I will only have 1 maybe 22 checked pieces depending on the rifle I am taking.

Southwest has the same policy. 62 inches. As do most airlines. The fact of the matter is, it depends on who checks you in.

If you were to e-mail them, they would tell you the same thing.

How about breaking it down so it won't be as long? Should end up about the same for girth and width, but shorter. Of course, you will need a diff. case.

Most airlines, I know that Southwest did, have a rule for "Sporting Equipment" that is outsize. Snow skis, etc., including guns. Ask for a supervisor, and find their rules on the internet and print a copy to take with you to check in. I havent flown in several years, but I'm sure that all the ski bumbs fly that way.
Please let us know how your flight/trip goes.
Tipy

FWIW - a Pelican 1750 is ~53" long (OAL) and ~51" (inside). It will easily accommodate a .308 with a 24" barrel and have something like 2" to spare inside at both ends. There should be little problem carrying a rifle with a 26" barrel inside one, possibly even a 28" barrel if you put it in the case at an angle. So unless you're running something in the neighborhood of a 30" barrel, the 1750 case will not put you anywhere near the 62" length that will incur over-sized checked baggage charges.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW - a Pelican 1750 is ~53" long (OAL) and ~51" (inside). It will easily accommodate a .308 with a 24" barrel and have something like 2" to spare inside at both ends. There should be little problem carrying a rifle with a 26" barrel inside one, possibly even a 28" barrel if you put it in the case at an angle. So unless you're running something in the neighborhood of a 30" barrel, the 1750 case will not put you anywhere near the 62" length that will incur over-sized checked baggage charges.</div></div>

They consider 62" max size as the length, width and height of the case added together. Not just the length.

And I can fit my 28" Creedmoor straight in my Starlight case, which is about the same size as the Pelican 1750, like other rifles. Still plenty of padding.

For the record, the Pelican 1700 is the only longer rifle-type Pelican brand case that meets the 62 linear inch limit. The Hardigg Storm 3100 also was designed to meet the 62 linear inch limit.

That said, people I talk to routinely fly with 1720s and 1750s and do not get charged extra fees as long as they keep the bag to under 50 lbs.

For long range shooters with 30"+ barrels, it is SOP to remove the barreled action from the stock, making the 1720 a go-to case. The Starlight SC-061338 is a bit more generous in dimensions than the 1720 while still being more compact than the 1750.

While on the subject, the largest <span style="font-style: italic">carry-on</span> legal case from Storm is the IM2500. Not that you can use it to carry guns and ammo on board, it makes a very nice checked bag for pistols and other shooting miscellany that needs protected but can still be used as a hard sided carry-on for other types of trips. It is wheeled with an extending handle.

That's good to know about the linear 62" limit. I guess I've been lucky (so far) that I've never been tagged for exceeding that limit with my 1750 cases. Thanks for the clarification.

You shouldn't get any trouble as it's considered a sporting item and doesn't fall under the 62" limit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You shouldn't get any trouble as it's considered a sporting item and doesn't fall under the 62" limit. </div></div>

Thanks Rob - gonna read up on that part more on the different carrier web sites.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You shouldn't get any trouble as it's considered a sporting item and doesn't fall under the 62" limit. </div></div>

Rob - I just spent some time on Frontier's web site. They have a detailed listing of different type of baggage, not just one broad term called "sporting equipment". Here is the link:

http://www.frontierairlines.com/customer-service/travel-support/baggage/special-fragile-items

From this we can glean regarding firearms:

"Excess, <span style="font-weight: bold">oversize</span> and overweight <span style="font-weight: bold">charges apply</span> if applicable."

In contrast, if we look at Golf equipment we see this:

"Excess and overweight charges apply if applicable.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Oversize charges do not apply</span>."

Same for ski and snowboard equipment:

"Excess and overweight charges apply if applicable.
<span style="font-weight: bold">
Oversize charges do not apply</span>"

Over on Continental's site, things are different. Regarding golf equipment, they say:

"Golfing equipment containers measuring more than 62 inches (157 cm) L+H+W that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate golf equipment will be subject to an oversize fee". So, if you use a golf club hard case for your firearms, they would charge the oversize fee, but if you use it for golf items, the do not...

Regarding firearms, here is what they say:

"Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes, 11 pounds (five kg) of ammunition and articles used in the firearm sport."

and -

"If applicable, the first or second bag fee applies to checked firearms."

So, they do require the hard case but do not limit its physical size to 62"...

Bottom line is, this varies by carrier. Research before you go, and if you want to make sure you don't pay oversize fees, choose the carrier that states they do not charge them for firearms.

Most airline sites have a detailed list of sporting equipment and what is considered for each type. I didn't say they didn't. Just that the firearms case is considered a sporting item.

Actually Rob what you said is what is in quotes in my post above.

"You shouldn't get any trouble as it's considered a sporting item and doesn't fall under the 62" limit."

5 minutes of research indicates the door is open for Frontier to charge you an oversize fee for a Pelican 1720 and 1750 and closed for Continental to do it, regardless of the fact that both carriers have details re: Firearms in their Sporting Equipment policies.

The door being open and them doing it is two different things. If they try tell them it's a firearm and falls under the sporting equipment. If they still want to charge you then fly someone else. Plenty of airlines that don't charge.

Looks like a good reason not to fly Frontier. As I said earlier in this thread I flown American, Delta, Continental, Southwest, US Air and United and never had any problems or charges.

According to Southwest's website: Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per checked piece of luggage. Overweight items from 50 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50 per item. Any item weighing more than 100 pounds must be shipped as Air Cargo. However, Customers cannot use SWA Cargo unless classified as a Known Shipper as defined by the TSA or TSA approved Indirect Air Carriers (IAC). For full details about shipping cargo, visit www.swacargo.com.

Delta: To avoid extra charges for oversize or overweight baggage, your checked bag must:

Weigh 50 pounds (23 kg) or less.
Not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) when you total length+width+height.

US Air: Oversize checked bags

+ $175 each
Dimensions between 62 – 80 in/157 – 203 cm

Guess I am just the luckiest mother on the planet never getting charged when flying with my rifle atleast 6 times a year for the past 5 or 6 years.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got charged 485 Dollars on the way home from iraq this spring... it was a huge kick in the balls.

</div></div>

HOLY SHITBALLS BATMAN!!! I got carged $60 in the US and another charge in Dubai I can't remember.

I decided in the future if I was a few pounds over weight I'd be better off taking out something heavy like shampoo or some clothes and JUST THROWING THEM AWAY.

It will get you under weight and that will save you money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I decided in the future if I was a few pounds over weight I'd be better off taking out something heavy like shampoo or some clothes and JUST THROWING THEM AWAY.

It will get you under weight and that will save you money. </div></div>

I do that all the time when coming back from matches with ammo and brass. I also move alot of clothes into my pack so I carry it on. Coming back my pack is usually pretty full LOL

You will get nailed if the package is overweight. I have had to pay $25 for overweight on a suitcase when coming back from Rifles only once.

Wow...seems like a lot of people either haven't flown lately or are just guessing at what bag fees run.

Everybody except Southwest and Frontier charge bag fees for luggage that gets checked. $25 for first piece, $35 for second piece. Oversize, is $125 Overweight is $125

For Southwest, those fees, extra bags, oversize/weight are $50 each.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only thing I've ever been tabbed on is my Red Tac rear bag. </div></div>
My rear bag gets me stopped every time. Apparently the filler is too dense to see through with the xray. I fly a fair amount, Delta and Alaska Air and no oversize bag fees ever for my 1750 Pelican. I keep it around 48lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the only thing I've ever been tabbed on is my Red Tac rear bag. </div></div>
My rear bag gets me stopped every time. Apparently the filler is too dense to see through with the xray. I fly a fair amount, Delta and Alaska Air and no oversize bag fees ever for my 1750 Pelican. I keep it around 48lbs. </div></div>

Yeah, I kinda have to laugh at that. The least "dangerous" part of the whole show, but they can't tell what it is on the X-ray scanner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow...seems like a lot of people either haven't flown lately or are just guessing at what bag fees run.

Everybody except Southwest and Frontier charge bag fees for luggage that gets checked. $25 for first piece, $35 for second piece. Oversize, is $125 Overweight is $125

For Southwest, those fees, extra bags, oversize/weight are $50 each.</div></div>

Forgot to add: You can get tabbed for oversize and overweight on the same bag. Making it $250 per bag or $100 on Southwest.

AirTran bangs you from the rear without lube and then charges you $80 each way no matter the size/weight. As soon as you say firearm it's on!!!