• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Flying With Full Size Gun Case

wpeach1912

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2020
I know certain aspects of this topic have been discussed ad nauseam (Locks, types of cases, etc.), but I'm curious about oversize bag fees specifically. I have a Pelican V800 I would like to fly with, but it exceeds the normal 62" linear requirement for checked baggage. However, I have seen that sporting equipment can get an exemption to have a maximum of 115". Are people flying with full size cases (e.g. Pelican 1750, 1770) getting charged the oversize bag fee or are they able to get it under the sporting equipment exemption?

I'm Platinum with Delta so rarely pay for bag unless I've got 4+ or something crazy.
In the cass where I flew someone else by necessity, (SWA) I didn't pay anything extra due to the size of the case. The bigger issue for them is usually weight.

Like I said before, I regularly fly with either the the plano gun vault or pelican cases and it has never been an issue.

Reactions: wpeach1912
I'm Platinum with Delta so rarely pay for bag unless I've got 4+ or something crazy.
In the cass where I flew someone else by necessity, (SWA) I didn't pay anything extra due to the size of the case. The bigger issue for them is usually weight.

Like I said before, I regularly fly with either the the plano gun vault or pelican cases and it has never been an issue.
Yes the issue is weight. But, if I recall they will charge the same oversize bag fees over certain dimensions regardless of weight.

Yes the issue is weight. But, if I recall they will charge the same oversize bag fees over certain dimensions regardless of weight.
I can keep the weight under the limit, but I'm mostly concerned about dimensions. I'm thinking it's a possibility that since they get multiple free bags with platinum status, they don't get charged the extra for the dimensions

I can keep the weight under the limit, but I'm mostly concerned about dimensions. I'm thinking it's a possibility that since they get multiple free bags with platinum status, they don't get charged the extra for the dimensions
Right in your link it says it cannot exceed 115 linear inches in dimension regardless of weight.

Just look at the dimensions of a travel golf club case or ski case. Those are things we normally carry. Sometimes surfboards, but not longboards. I made a reference for traveling with firearms last year but it’s more geared toward what to bring and how to bring it. It doesn’t discuss the baggage fee side of it. I’m not the best source because as an airline employee I rarely if ever pay for tickets or bag fees.

if you plan on traveling a lot by air, get an airline CC, the free bag pays for itself quickly. Also try to fly one airline and get status. For example on Delta, I have 3 free bags, and the weight limit is 70 lbs and not 50 lbs domestic.

Reactions: wpeach1912
From people I know that have travelled, falls under the sporting exemption size. Shouldn’t have to pay oversize fees based on the 62” dimension.