• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns Benchmade may have messed up....

The posting of the event and the associated pictures appear to be a bit too "celebratory" for my tastes. In other words; "we're destroying these guns, see what a great thing we're doing and what great people we are ?". If they were smart, they would have just done it, with no pics and particularly no fanfare by posting on the Internet. Plus, the completely one sided donations to dems/libs (that want to take our guns away from us) pretty much guarantees that BM won't be burdened by any of my hard earned dollars.

Exactly. This is (what has become) classic virtue-signaling. What's amazing is how many companies (who sell a product to consumers) have indulged in this, apparently thinking it will GAIN them some business. How have they not become aware of the EPIC failures that have resulted from these attempts at gaining public favor??? Dick's? Gillette, more recently?? Oh, yeah... it's going to work THIS time... for US. Dipshits.

I'm all for helping out the Police on guns that were ordered destroyed....but I would have done it in the dead of night and left no witnesses.
bart oda-075.png

Dude, you’re the Jolly Green Giant, how is an Emerson “too big for EDC?” :LOL:

And I have a few BMs on my “wish list.” If I buy used, BM won’t see any of that money. Maybe I’ll pare the list down some, but I’ll still get them. But buying new? Nope. I’m more of a Spyderco guy anyway.

I do carry larger blades, but 3.25 is about right for me for EDC. The Emerson ZT 630 is just a little big for EDC, as was the Adamas and Contego, which is why I sold them years ago. I love the Bugout and the 940, both of which I own, but like you, I won't buy their blades again. Spyderco, Sog, Cold Steel, lots of options out there.

Reactions: Basher
I'm all for helping out the Police on guns that were ordered destroyed....but I would have done it in the dead of night and left no witnesses.

The whole point of "ordering them destroyed" is stupid and just shows how power mad and idiotic the courts, governments & police have gotten.
Taking out your hatreds on inanimate objects. Then they complain they need more tax money.... well sell the guns / parts through a dealer & extra money in the budget.

The whole point of "ordering them destroyed" is stupid and just shows how power mad and idiotic the courts, governments & police have gotten.
Taking out your hatreds on inanimate objects. Then they complain they need more tax money.... well sell the guns / parts through a dealer & extra money in the budget.

I totally agree...stupid law...but it's the law and it's going to get done...any idiot with a hacksaw can do it. Your point about tax dollars is interesting. Maybe Benchmade was paid. If I was a Police Chief, and I was ordered to destroy guns that had been used in crimes...who better to give tax dollars to than a gun (or knife) shop, and maybe not look too hard at how much they charge. If the police came to me and said "look, these are going to get destroyed, do me a favor and take care of them so I don't have to use my budget or limited Police resources to pay for it, I'd probably do them a solid. But, like I said:

Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations.
-DOL

I do carry larger blades, but 3.25 is about right for me for EDC. The Emerson ZT 630 is just a little big for EDC, as was the Adamas and Contego, which is why I sold them years ago. I love the Bugout and the 940, both of which I own, but like you, I won't buy their blades again. Spyderco, Sog, Cold Steel, lots of options out there.

Yep, plenty of options within the usual BM price point. I’ll never sell my Grips because they’re great knives, but I’ll be exceptionally selective on anything else I drop my money on from them. It would probably have to be a grail for me.

Good to see you around, by the way. Hope you and the fam are doing well up north. You should come down for an AZLRPRS match soon!

If the police have a destroy policy they can buy a dewalt chop saw on the cheap.
Couple of blades will eat a lot steel.
Benchmade stepped on their dick.
Seeing more than a little of this "migration" in Corp tolerance and policies leaning toward the antigun crew.
I'll call it out and stand for none.

R

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
Awful decision on their part. Chopping up the guns on the block to be destroyed ain't the triggering point. The decision to be involved, then be under our scrutiny to dig deeper found the triggering point. This graph sez everything I need to know about them. Everything. Got a couple of their products as well, won't be purchasing ever again. Nice job Benchmade. Way to 'stab' yourself in the foot.

Here’s a breakdown of Benchmade’s contributions by political party:
img_0568.jpg

And here’s the totals of direct contributions to candidates in the last 5 election cycles. Overall, Benchmade has spent 1.2 million in their lobbying/political efforts.
img_0569.jpg

In 2012 and 2010, they donated to Republican candidates. However, since then, they’ve solely supported Democrats.
img_0570.jpg

1550773565295.png

Guns are not always auctioned off. Bench made supports our local LE, Fire, medical. Big time. I know some guns people don’t want back because a family member took their life with it. There is many reasons LE ends up with guns that end up being destroyed. My concern is who benchmade donated money to for campaigns. Almost all Democrats. So is it all Democrats because they only had Democrats to vote for and chose the less of two evils ? It is Oregon . They could just be liberals but before I decide that I want more info .

I agree with the above poster. Fact of life, sometimes guns need to be destroyed. Many reasons. As a Benchmade owner, the political contributions are troubling.

I don't think everyone is all up in arms that some evidence guns got destroyed. .

No one one the PD has a grinder, is there not one man among them?

As others have stated, the city should have a maintenance department, if not the county does. They should have all the tools needed to do the job.
The fact that Bench Made got involved, is the issue. Bench Made obviously wants to suck the PD's cock, and thought this would some how be a great PR stunt. It would not suprise me if Bench Made got wind of the destroy order and said "hey can we help". Like the douche who invites him self to a party.

Reactions: 1J04
I tried to do a little more digging on Facebook but not coming up with much (quoted the post was removed) , if true this will backfire like a watermelon to the face in the firearm community

View attachment 7029474
Like many others I've bought 4 Benchmade knives over the years and won't be buying any more.
If this is true I may do the same to my benchmade products and cut them up. Hopefully this is not true.
Guess I will not be supporting them any longer. The could have auction these off to raise some funds instead of destroying them.

Reactions: 1J04 and W54/XM-388
I don't own any of their products and I am really sad to say that there is a lot of negativity here. I honestly don't understand the reaction.

If you research the law, destroy orders are proper LEO procedure for any weapon used in a crime. A company offers to help out the LEO and you guys are ready to burn them down. I agree that if they did this for any reason other than this one, I would be agreeing with you but it is not like the actions of other companies as of late. Sure, the LEO could have done it but it is Oregon and those guys would probably hurt themselves using a grinder or chop saw.

Extremism as exhibited by either side is poor. As far as I know, Benchmade supports our cause and to me this is nothing.

If I am proven incorrect, I will gladly put on a bib and eat humble pie

Just my 2 cents.

I don't own any of their products and I am really sad to say that there is a lot of negativity here. I honestly don't understand the reaction.

If you research the law, destroy orders are proper LEO procedure for any weapon used in a crime. A company offers to help out the LEO and you guys are ready to burn them down. I agree that if they did this for any reason other than this one, I would be agreeing with you but it is not like the actions of other companies as of late.

Extremism as exhibited by either side is poor. As far as I know, Benchmade supports our cause and to me this is nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

Bro, have you not seen the evidence showing sole support of the Democratic party and their candidates since 2012? It’s not so much about the guns anymore, it’s the dirty laundry that act dug up...

Grab your bib, fork, and knife. I sure hope you’re hungry!

Bro, have you not seen the evidence showing sole support of the Democratic party and their candidates since 2012? It’s not so much about the guns anymore, it’s the dirty laundry that act dug up...

Grab your bib, fork, and knife. I sure hope you’re hungry!

Bro,

Who did they contribute to? Last I looked, there are lots of Democrats I know that are fervent supporters of 2A and lots of Republicans who are not.

Reactions: jb0311 and Changed

If you research the law, destroy orders are proper LEO procedure for any weapon used in a crime. A company offers to help out the LEO and you guys are ready to burn them down. I agree that if they did this for any reason other than this one, I would be agreeing with you but it is not like the actions of other companies as of late. Sure, the LEO could have done it but it is Oregon and those guys would probably hurt themselves using a grinder or chop saw.

Just my 2 cents.

On the surface, the optics are terrible.

Most on this thread are concerned with the political contributions rather than the gun stuff. So, another layer pulled back and more demonstrably anti-2A stuff, and then the gun destroying post...

Also, if it APPEARS to walk and talk like an anti-gun duck while still paying lip service to the 2A, well, honestly, the optics are terrible.

They've gotta know this, which is confusing to a lot on this thread, myself included.

I could be deluded and I know I'm sick of this sort of crap but I feel like we're all being pretty level headed.

Reactions: 1J04 and Basher
Those pictures look like a part of our society is really coming out of the closet.
"See how stupid you are? You've been supporting our business for years, you poor stupid bastards!"

Those pictures are all about rubbing your nose in it, and showing their pals how to rub your nose in a turd.

Bro,

Who did they contribute to? Last I looked, there are lots of Democrats I know that are fervent supporters of 2A and lots of Republicans who are not.

See J’s comment above. Also, no disrespect meant w/ the bro comment, FYI.

Abiut 6 days ago I lost my EDC Benchmade, I've been carrying for 5 years.

Literally, yesterday I was looking at a replacement Benchmade. Then a good friend informed me of what Benchmade did this morning. We both said we ain't havin that, and he went to hunting down a U.S. made Kershaw for me.

My story will play out thousands of times in the near future. Watch your margins, Benchmade, you will not like what you are about to see.

See J’s comment above. Also, no disrespect meant w/ the bro comment, FYI.

No offense taken...

As you all know, we see a lot of this stuff and most of the time, the reaction is well justified. However, I have been led down false paths before and that is why I seldom believe anything I see when it is part of the media giants. I can paint a story anyway I choose. There have been countless examples on both sides.

Therefore, I choose to reserve my judgement and actions until I see incontrovertible evidence. Political contributions without specifics means nothing to me per my last comments.

My only point to all of this is aged data is better than fresh data

And for the record...I am not supporting their decision. Pretty much makes me sick to see it happen

Just looking for truth which may be staring me in the face

Awful decision on their part. Chopping up the guns on the block to be destroyed ain't the triggering point. The decision to be involved, then be under our scrutiny to dig deeper found the triggering point. This graph sez everything I need to know about them. Everything. Got a couple of their products as well, won't be purchasing ever again. Nice job Benchmade. Way to 'stab' yourself in the foot.

Here’s a breakdown of Benchmade’s contributions by political party:
img_0568.jpg

And here’s the totals of direct contributions to candidates in the last 5 election cycles. Overall, Benchmade has spent 1.2 million in their lobbying/political efforts.
img_0569.jpg

In 2012 and 2010, they donated to Republican candidates. However, since then, they’ve solely supported Democrats.
img_0570.jpg

View attachment 7029882
That chart tells me they are wanting guns to go away, so they can sell more knifes, just like the UK knife builders did. Fuck BITCHMADE any anything those assholes make under a different name soon,...

Reactions: Fig
Hi,

Here is another thing to consider...
There is a super strict no phone and no camera policy inside Benchmade...So the fact they knowingly let the Police take pictures and video of this incident plays real hard into the 2 tier justice system.
Benchmade did not accidentally take part in this and they purposefully wanted it to be known and shown they were part of it.
It goes back to the concept of Virtue Signalling...Benchmade was banking on this bringing more law enforcement agency business (We stand with you type thing) to them....not individual gun owners business.

Sincerely,
Theis

Can you cite that law?

We had autions for all seized firearms.
Law on not in that A/O, one style of weapon mfg is shown to be happily destroying a different style of weapon to preface their weapon is not as bad. Where are the photos/videos of all the knifes being destroyed? Or are the cops in that A/O using them for personal use?

You do realize that the police acquire firearms by means other than confiscation? You also realize that firearms don't have a soul? Correct?

I saw a tweet to the PD that said, "I want to report a serious crime. I think you guys just murdered a Company". :)

Reactions: Fig and JimLee
Their donations are totally lopsided in support of those politicians that want to deny you and me our rights. PLUS the fact that they should have had severe enough allergies to doing something like this is why I will never support them financially. They, as a private company (not a government agency) should have never even considered doing this, much less brag about it on the internet.

For those of you that are either questioning the whole situation, or are defending them, let me point out that BM are not your friends, they will never be your friends and they don't give a shit about your 2A rights. That is very clear. I could give a shit about their "clarification" tweet" or post on facebook. The cows are out of the barn. They will never see a dime of my money. Nor will dick's sporting goods, levi's, nfl, nba, wapo, nyt.......etc, etc. Why would you consider purchasing any of their products ? They're not supporting you, they are screwing you. If there's a silver lining to this situation, it's the fact that they got caught.

I understand why they did but they had the opportunity to say we will supply the department with free knives but our insurance company won't allow anything involving guns. Also the courts ordered destruction of public property they wouldn't do that to confiscated money vehicles etc. If they received guns it's possible that they violated some ATF rules if they did not have a FFL? And yes one of my EDC's is a 200.00 emissary one of my sons has probably 30 bm.

Reactions: JimLee

Just my 2 cents.

realistically its more the symbolic act of cutting up guns than it is the practical nature of it.....and then BM saying "oh well its only because we had special equipment"......an angle grinder is not "special equipment".

honestly, if they had an industrial shredder.....and they helped the PD out by shredding all of their confiscated goods marked for destruction and not just firearms and they treated it like any other professional transaction....i would be less upset about it....

but the PD could have done this work themselves....they did this and made it public for an agenda.....and BM is either on board, or woefully ignorant...and like Theis said, I’m guessing they did this to pander to PDs by showing how they were willing to help “take guns off the streets”...

I always liked the looks of Benchmade knives. Im kind of sad to see this. I thought they were better than this...

EMERSON kives will contine to get my money.

Reactions: jmb1911
Coworkers, who are also shooters, have been talking nonstop about this. Just one glance at the article below and pictures tells me all I need to know about these smug SOB's (well, not so smug once they realize what a stupid decision they have made)

Article: (credit goes to @Mwalex for first posting it in the Pit)
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/21/benchmade-helps-destroy-guns/

Social media exploded in a flurry of virtual pitchforks and torches last night after the Oregon City Police Department posted three images and a simple statement on Facebook

Well, it looks like we, as a community of sportsmen who value our rights, are going to take more drastic steps than that. Time to give them the Dick's treatment. And then ask them how are they liking the plummeting sales and steep decline of their customer base. What they did in the recent days was a symbolic assault against gun ownership in general, and I say we hit them back with a 'symbolic' boycott. Me, I have never owned any of their overpriced knives and never will.

And this was part of a statement released by the PD:

These guns were required to be destroyed. We reached out to Benchmade to do us a favor at our request.

What a load of utter horse shit. If you were really "destroying" evidence locker guns, you would not have need to post pictures and turn it into a quasi-political dog and pony show. If you don't support the rights of the citizens to keep and bear arms, just be a man about it and say it up front. It's not like we don't have it figured out already.

Benchmade is a proud and unwavering supporter of both law enforcement and Second Amendment rights.

Sure ya do. But you do seem to be a little...special. As in short school bus special. Perhaps that helmet strap is a little too tight there, don't ya think?

realistically its more the symbolic act of cutting up guns than it is the practical nature of it.....and then BM saying "oh well its only because we had special equipment"......an angle grinder is not "special equipment".

honestly, if they had an industrial shredder.....and they helped the PD out by shredding all of their confiscated goods marked for destruction and not just firearms and they treated it like any other professional transaction....i would be less upset about it....

but the PD could have done this work themselves....they did this and made it public for an agenda.....and BM is either on board, or woefully ignorant...and like Theis said, I’m guessing they did this to pander to PDs by showing how they were willing to help “take guns off the streets”...

You may be absolutely right. I am still waiting for delivery of my first new knife in years and wouldn't you know it is a BM. I should have stuck with Gerber

Anyone that owns a business in retail will understand this move that benchmade did. While I dont agree with it, you have to look at the whole picture from their point of view.

That police dept probably buys quite a few benchmade knives for their officers every year if I was guessing. If this police chief that is a loyal customer ask you to help him or use a tool of yours for 30 min or so, well, I would do it. If you have a loyal customer even a small one you have to take care of them. They were not trying to promote what they were doing and I really dont see what they did wrong. There are guns destroyed every day by law enforcement across the country. I personally feel this shit is way out of hand.

Reactions: jb0311
Anyone that owns a business in retail will understand this move that benchmade did. While I dont agree with it, you have to look at the whole picture from their point of view.

That police dept probably buys quite a few benchmade knives for their officers every year if I was guessing. If this police chief that is a loyal customer ask you to help him or use a tool of yours for 30 min or so, well, I would do it. If you have a loyal customer even a small one you have to take care of them. They were not trying to promote what they were doing and I really dont see what they did wrong. There are guns destroyed every day by law enforcement across the country. I personally feel this shit is way out of hand.

The mistake they made was participating in an OBVIOUS virtue-signaling public relations stunt designed to advance the anti-gun agenda. O.B.V.I.O.U.S. They HAD to know that the PD would be promoting it. As such, they were willing accomplices and effectively endorsed the activity, which was to promote an anti-gun agenda.

So, yeah... they WERE "promoting" it. Big, big, BIG mistake. In the end, it's about "optics." How things look. It did not look good. Not at all. They should have seen that coming and either bowed out or insisted that they would help on the condition of it NOT being published.

Last edited: