• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Benelli M4, Too long LOP, so I chopped it.

ERdept

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Orange County, Kali.
I find the Benelli M4's pistol grip buttstock to be waaaayy to long for me.

It's difficult to shoulder fast as well cause you have to consciously bring the gun away from your body or it snags on clothes.

Beyond that, I don't know how it would ever be able to be shouldered if wearing body armor. <span style="font-weight: bold">I know they make the collapsable stock version of this for exactly that resaon. Mil and LE models.</span>

But, I cut mine with a miter saw and filled in some Marine Tex epoxy in order to drill holes for the new buttpad.

This is the work so far..........

0411092213-1.jpg

0411092216.jpg

Re: Benelli M4, Too long LOP, so I chopped it.

the military M1014 has the collapsible stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the military M1014 has the collapsible stock. </div></div>

You have an uncanny ability of stating the obvious. That is what i mentioned above.

This is an alternative for those that don't have the collapsable stock.

Or that don't want to pay the $700 price tag for the collapsible stock which is what they were going for last I checked.

I'm actually surprised someone has not worked on either a shortened fixed stock or an adapter to use an AR stock on them similar as we see for the 870's. I heard mesa tactical was working on their own version similar in design to the Benelli factory version.

Frankly the ergonomics of the factory benelli collapsible stock suck aside from the fact it's shorter to use with body armor, for handling and shooting the fixed stock is much better but I agree it's a little long for speedy use.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was running mine thru some drills yesterday and that darn stock may have tic'd me off for the last time. Now to find a guillotine and epoxy!

This is another good thread explaining how to shortening the Benelli stocks. I agree - the LOP is way too long, especially if you have body armor on.

Benelli Stock Mod

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll try "pillars" threaded for the screws on the buttpad.

Cool.

Looks good. I don't understand why they make the LOP so long on a tactical shotgun...

Question: did you tap the Marine-Tex for attaching the buttpad or did you epoxy the buttpad to the Marine-Tex?

Probably for the same reason that almost no factory rifle comes with a high enough cheek piece to get any cheek weld on any scope much less the 50mm+ hubble telescopes people mount these days. It costs them less money to change product or do adequate market research on what features are desired/needed, and people still buy them all day long.

Companies probably took the dimensions from a sporting shotgun made to be used with light clothing for hunting/sporting purposes and shoved it on a defense shotgun didn't bother actually doing market research and since 95% of buyers have no clue they just want it cause they read about it in a mag, or it looks tacti-cool they buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chui</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. I don't understand why they make the LOP so long on a tactical shotgun...

Question: did you tap the Marine-Tex for attaching the buttpad or did you epoxy the buttpad to the Marine-Tex? </div></div>

I'll post my PM response to this question in my messages here for all to read...........

The M4 stock is hollow except for the tube that goes down the middle of it. That tube ends about 3 inches from the rubber butt pad they have on it.

I cut about 2.5 inches off with a miter box and saw. It still came out uneven, so I sanded it with a $29 orbital sander I bought just for this.

You can buy this from me if you want, it's brand new used 1 x by me. Just give me $25 for shipping and the item.

Once it was sanded down, I wiped the inside clean with acetone swabs then roughed up the insides with a dental pick. I then wiped it down again with Acetone.

Then I bought foam from the hobby store and made two dams for each side of the stock, so four total, to contain the Marine Tex.

I then researched what was the best material to fill and it was either Devcon putty or Marine Tex. Both show much less shrinkage than say Acraglas.

The foam was easy to cut and shape with an exacto knife. I pushed the foam down into the stock and then made another dam for the other side.

I then mixed the marine tex, which is like very thick honey, like old honey that barely flows. So it never went past the gaps in the foam.

Once it hardened, I sanded again. The sander made all edges even.

I did look at the wood plug alternative, but trust me, it's harder, cause after you cut the stock, you then have to cut a wood plug, then whittle and fit it into the stock on all sides. This is time consuming.

Marine Tex is TOTALLY machineable and drillable and tappable. 24 hours to cure.

I read the above on the Marine Tex site. BTW, Devcon and Marine Tex are the best epoxies to bed and action. I send a gun out to a guy in Pennsylvania and I live in CA for that specifically.

The local smith does bed well, but he'll only use Acraglass. Not good enough for me. Research shows this shrinks and is susceptable to getting soft with certain cleaners and solvents.

The new butt pad is 1/3 and inch thick rubber and will be on soon. Drilled and tapped.

I'll post in a week.

Mr. ER, how about?...

I send you my buttstock and you modify it?! Send me the bill
smile.gif