• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14 Crest consistently throwing second shot to the right

Wiley2019

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2022
Texas
Was helping a buddy break in his new B14 Crest in 300wm today and couldn’t quite get it to group. First shots were right on the money, second would throw about 1”-2” right, and the third was usually landing right on top of the first. I’m trying to make heads or tails of what might be causing this. It did it with 3 different types of factory ammo, 180g fusion soft point, 180gr swift scirocco, and 200g ELD-X. It did the same thing with 3 different shooters as well. Rifle was being fired at 100yds off of a bench and sled. Other than the second shot of every group, the rifle was dead on and didn’t experience any poi shift so I don’t suspect anything to be wrong with how I torqued the stock or scope assembly. For a hunting rifle I suppose that group size is acceptable, but I’d definitely be more confident if I could get his second shot in a little closer.

My first thought would be to add pillars, which I told him to do eventually regardless, but I’m not sure how keen he’ll be to spend more money right away after just purchasing his first non budget rifle. Out of the 5 or 6 bergaras I’ve personally shot this one isn’t bad but it’s definitely the worst of the bunch.

Bergara b-14 crest 300wm
Leupold vx5
Deadair Nomad 300

What torque setting did you set action screws…just fired mine first time yesterday, erratic, just plain terrible group. Came home and have reset everything involved with the optic…Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 BR Talley base 20moa, night force ultralite rings. Just need torque settings now for action screws. bergara does NOT mention this gun on their website. It’s a new gun for 2023 and it’s seems torque setting list was last done in 2021 on their website.

What torque setting did you set action screws…just fired mine first time yesterday, erratic, just plain terrible group. Came home and have reset everything involved with the optic…Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x56 BR Talley base 20moa, night force ultralite rings. Just need torque settings now for action screws. bergara does NOT mention this gun on their website. It’s a new gun for 2023 and it’s seems torque setting list was last done in 2021 on their website.
I did either 30 or 35lbs, can’t remember exactly but I knew without pillars in the stock and with a factory bottom metal that I shouldn’t go much tighter than that. What caliber is the rifle and what ammo are you shooting? I had to try a few before it liked one. Did you clean it good first? The one I was shooting had a very dirty barrel from the factory goop and whatnot.

Also to update everyone, I switched the rifle over to a lighter weight suppressor and now it’s shooting 3/4moa with federal terminal ascent factory loads.

I had the same problem with a christensen 6.5 and wound up selling it. The lighter bullet loads grouped fine but the 140 ELD had weird fliers. Two rounds touching and a flier no matter the powder charge. The guy who bought it didn't care because he wanted to hunt using 120SST. My best guess was the barrel twist rate didn't stabilize the long ELD bullets.

I had the same problem with a christensen 6.5 and wound up selling it. The lighter bullet loads grouped fine but the 140 ELD had weird fliers. Two rounds touching and a flier no matter the powder charge. The guy who bought it didn't care because he wanted to hunt using 120SST. My best guess was the barrel twist rate didn't stabilize the long ELD bullets.
Christensen’s are weird like that. Crazy how many people buy them (myself included) and how many problems they have. But the ones that shoot sure shoot good

Christensen’s are weird like that. Crazy how many people buy them (myself included) and how many problems they have. But the ones that shoot sure shoot good
There are several with carbon barrels on the used rack at my LGS. Doesn’t make a guy want to risk the $$$$ to try one.

There are several with carbon barrels on the used rack at my LGS. Doesn’t make a guy want to risk the $$$$ to try one.
That’s where my 300PRC MPR is sitting on consignment right now. It shot great, but stuck ejectors and a carbon ring after a few months. Sent it off and they fixed it free, then the ejector stuck again on the first test fire, sent it back and took it straight to the store once they fixed it. Switched over to Zermatt Origins and proof or carbon 6 barrels for my hunting rifles and never looked back. Got 3 of them now and the worst one shoots about 0.6” at 100.

Reactions: BCP
It does seems, that the Christensen Arms does not get much love here.
Luckily we dont even have those in Finland, and might be better that no one got idea to start import those.

It does seems, that the Christensen Arms does not get much love here.
Luckily we dont even have those in Finland, and might be better that no one got idea to start import those.

They look really cool and I’ve seen some of that shoot extremely well. Mine will print sub 1/2moa groups with 100gr varmint bullets. The 140gr vld I actually want to shoot? Pfft shotgun groups.

Reactions: viking78
A shot in the dark question, have you used a snug fitting patch to verify your twist rate? I’ve been doing load development with a newer bullet and the manufacturer STRONGLY recommends verifying the twist rate BEFORE ordering their bullets (monolithic copper) and heeding the recommended tr for each bullet.

That’s where my 300PRC MPR is sitting on consignment right now. It shot great, but stuck ejectors and a carbon ring after a few months. Sent it off and they fixed it free, then the ejector stuck again on the first test fire, sent it back and took it straight to the store once they fixed it. Switched over to Zermatt Origins and proof or carbon 6 barrels for my hunting rifles and never looked back. Got 3 of them now and the worst one shoots about 0.6” at 100.
What was sticking ejectors? Was it the same thing that causes the carbon rings? Lack of maintenance.

Last edited:
I was one of those guys last year myself…to much money for gun that cannot shoot sub moa with highest quality factory ammo, it was a 1 shot gun but only with clean bore after each shot. If you tried to take a second shot just after firing the gun the first time. Bullet would damn near fly off the paper…Christensen said return and they would fix. I just waited until end of season and sold it. I did shoot one whitetail at 506 splitting heart, but if knew if I had to take a second shot ( were are human and can miss) I was done for. Not having that.

What was sticking ejectors? Was it the same thing that causes the carbon rings? Lack of maintenance.
Carbon ring was caused by a bur in the factory chamber not allowing the bullet to seat properly (unacceptable in a rifle that costs that much imho), ejectors were machined at too big of a tolerance allowing debris to get lodged in. As I said the ejector stuck on the first test fire after the factory cleaned it up and “fixed it” so unless you’ve got a way to clean the ejectors between a shot being fired and ejecting the spent casing, I don’t think you can blame my maintenance.

Carbon ring was caused by a bur in the factory chamber not allowing the bullet to seat properly (unacceptable in a rifle that costs that much imho), ejectors were machined at too big of a tolerance allowing debris to get lodged in. As I said the ejector stuck on the first test fire after the factory cleaned it up and “fixed it” so unless you’ve got a way to clean the ejectors between a shot being fired and ejecting the spent casing, I don’t think you can blame my maintenance.
"A bur in the chamber not allowing the bullet to seat properly"

I am not 100% sure what that is supposed to mean, but the idea that a bur in a chamber could cause a carbon ring kind of raises an eyebrow.

Same goes for a barrel needing cleaned every shot or it wont stay on paper. But I can hammer hearts at 506. When i do my part. Got to sell it cause some day I might need s second shot...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I see some things own this thread that range from raising an eyebrow, to moving the needle on the bullshit meter.

I am not 100% sure what that is supposed to mean, but the idea that a bur in a chamber could cause a carbon ring kind of raises an eyebrow.

Same goes for a barrel needing cleaned every shot or it wont stay on paper. But I can hammer hearts at 506. When i do my part. Got to sell it cause some day I might need s second shot...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I see some things own this thread that range from raising an eyebrow, to moving the needle on the bullshit meter.
I had a whole thing typed questioning what the hell he was talking about but but then said fuck it, not worth it.

I’m just going off what Christensen told me when I sent the rifle back to them, I don’t have a bore scope nor have I dealt with a carbon ring on any other rifle so I can’t confirm or deny what they told me was going on.

None of it really matters and you can believe what you want, the point is they have QC issues and it’s the only rifle I’ve ever owned that had to be sent in for factory repair, then had to be sent back again after 1 shot, and that is why I got rid of it.

Reactions: BCP