• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14 HMR problems

Anybody else with a hellfire? My mount is about a thousands from sitting flush… doesn’t bug me until I look at it closely.

Attachments

• 35B0E4E5-4035-48AE-884B-1780A5BA39F3.jpeg
    35B0E4E5-4035-48AE-884B-1780A5BA39F3.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 132
Anybody else with a hellfire? My mount is about a thousands from sitting flush… doesn’t bug me until I look at it closely.

If the adapter is threaded all the way to the face of the device where it meets the shoulder and the barrel threads stop short of the shoulder then you can get the problem you are experiencing. The adapter basically runs out of threads before it shoulders against the barrel. Most devices have a blank space before the threads start to keep this from happening. In other words it may be a combination problem with both the device and the barrel threading contributing. Clear as mud?

I don't have one of these handy to look at it, but if you take your adapter off and take photos of the barrel threads and the adapter threads then we could see it. It isn't a problem unless you plan on using a suppressor with that adapter installed like you have it.

Reactions: DeRico
So I took it apart and looked closely, definitely needs one or two more threads on the adapter. Going to contact Area 419 and maybe send some pics their way.

That must be so frustrating! Clearly it is not extracting correctly.

There could be small differences in case head and groove dimensions, and one brand of anmo might work (just barely), while all other brands are not working right. Maybe Bergara tested with a specific batch of ammo that is more forgiving? Most likely not the fault of the ammo maker, as the rifle really must work correctly with a wide range of ammo.

Send it back again with several dummy rounds this time?
Nothing should be that finicky with any ammo.

That sucks in spades.

Stuff like this always puts a small itch in the back of my mind, where I'm never 100% confident with the product,and I spend every moment with it, anticipating a malfunction.

Reactions: NamibHunter
Nothing should be that finicky with any ammo.
I have a premier highlander in 7mag that was delivered tome in March. When I got it and was messing with it at the house it was having a little trouble extracting unfired rounds. Little frustrated, but I thought not a big deal if it ejects spent rounds. I took it to the range to zero it, and it ejected every fired round perfectly. And shot incredible groups. Downed 2 big hogs with it that evening. I couldn’t be happier with the gun, it is a dream to shoot. Have not had a single issue with fired rounds.

Reactions: ChadG460
Like stated above, make sure everything is tight. I've seen a few scope bases on new rifles get loose after a few rounds.

You're a few months late.
Most likely. But, I watched someone who was an "experienced shooter" burn up over 200 rounds of ammo over a years' time chasing an accuracy gremlin that turned out to be a loose screw on a picatinny rail.

• Haha
Reactions: TheOE800
The 419 adapter on my B14 sits flush with the shoulder of the barrel, so there’s something up with either your barrel threads or the adapter they sent you....or both? Contact Bergara and go from there but 419 may be the quickest path for a “one off” adapter.

Reactions: DeRico
The 419 adapter on my B14 sits flush with the shoulder of the barrel, so there’s something up with either your barrel threads or the adapter they sent you....or both? Contact Bergara and go from there but 419 may be the quickest path for a “one off” adapter.
At this point, if 2 parts are in question, and one is stamped BERGARA,, I'm suspecting the Bergara one.

Apparently once they get a working design, making 2 of identical specs is eluding them.

At this point, if 2 parts are in question, and one is stamped BERGARA,, I'm suspecting the Bergara one.

Apparently once they get a working design, making 2 of identical specs is eluding them.
Do you have a Bergara/experience with one, or did you just show up in this thread to spread joy?

I contacted Area419 and turns out some adapters got a tight after coating. Getting sent another.

Chad, what factory ammo do you test your 6.5 creed rifles with? Many thanks in advance

Has anyone used the preferred barrels prefit with any luck? I’m looking to go with a faster twist.

Attachments

• 6C661286-C451-4C48-8B09-4F95BD955847.png
    6C661286-C451-4C48-8B09-4F95BD955847.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 63
I'm having the same problem as the original poster. How was his situation resolved? I've tracked the shots in several groups...cold bore is 1.5-2 MOA high and right or left of a 1-1.5 MOA group. All hardware properly torqued, same results with 2 different NXS's. I'm at 120 rounds with no real change. Maybe I missed it but, I don't see where the OP got results one way or the other.

Hello All,
I am new and this is my first post.

I have some frustrations and need some help. I am an experienced shooter. Not the best but certainly not the worst. I have guns of all brands.

Anyway bought a HMR three years ago and cannot get the thing to shoot within 2moa at 100 yards. Honestly even if it was consistent 2 Moa I'd be short of happy but most the time it isn't close. I have a Vortex 5-25 on it. I have shot reloads, match, and everything in between all different weights. I used a Silencerco muzzle break, with and without a suppressor, and with nothing. Nothing changes it just doesn't shoot. I cleaned the paint off the lugs, made sure the screws were to spec. I am at a lose. The question is do I send it to Bergara and deal with the back and worth or sell it and buy something more reliable.

I don't shoot out past 500 but I would like a gun that I can sit behind and enjoy hitting steal without thinking the misses are due to the gun and not me I had a bergera hmr wilderness in 6.5 . I could shoot sub moa group at 100 as long as I only shot 3 rnd groups. Any more than 3 the barrel over heats and it starts spreading out like crazy. I called Bergara and they said oh well we only guarantee accuracy in 3 shot groups . I sold mine got a sig cross and I’m shooting 1/2” groups with no over heating. I will never buy anything from bergera again .
Hello All,
I am new and this is my first post.

I have some frustrations and need some help. I am an experienced shooter. Not the best but certainly not the worst. I have guns of all brands.

Anyway bought a HMR three years ago and cannot get the thing to shoot within 2moa at 100 yards. Honestly even if it was consistent 2 Moa I'd be short of happy but most the time it isn't close. I have a Vortex 5-25 on it. I have shot reloads, match, and everything in between all different weights. I used a Silencerco muzzle break, with and without a suppressor, and with nothing. Nothing changes it just doesn't shoot. I cleaned the paint off the lugs, made sure the screws were to spec. I am at a lose. The question is do I send it to Bergara and deal with the back and worth or sell it and buy something more reliable.

I don't shoot out past 500 but I would like a gun that I can sit behind and enjoy hitting steal without thinking the misses are due to the gun and not me

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. How was his situation resolved? I've tracked the shots in several groups...cold bore is 1.5-2 MOA high and right or left of a 1-1.5 MOA group. All hardware properly torqued, same results with 2 different NXS's. I'm at 120 rounds with no real change. Maybe I missed it but, I don't see where the OP got results one way or the other.
Give me a call at the office at 770-449-4687 and ask for Chad. We can talk and see if we can help over the phone and if not I will send you a shipping label and RMA to get it in for inspection.

-Chad

I don't half blame him. Great CS is awesome, but I'd rather never have to use it. Same for Vortex. It needs to be right when it goes out the door. Not after it's been sent back.
I had to learn my lesson with vortex the same way.

Reactions: Big Bo
Man, i hate to do this but i have to put bergara on blast for this one. and the purpose is not to attack a manufacturer, but instead i need some tips from the crowd about how to improve the rifle, given the shortages of everything. things just aren't available these days and a rifle that is more than $1000 ought to not be the weak point in the equation.

so a friend just got a B-14 and ask for help to set it up. i cleaned and inspected with a bore scope prior to going out, and the bore was rough enough to rip a cleaning patch in half. i thought that was a bit rough for my liking and patch some more, and it didn't happen again. We went out to shoot and put some factory ammo in, hornady eld-x 143 gr. so i fired 3 rounds in a clean dry barrel, of factory ammo, and got 3 heavy swipes and 1 Smokey primer. i didn't like that at all. the labradar read, 2781, 2796, 2799. we went back and bore scoped it, and after just 3 rounds the bore had a lot of copper in it an it looked very rough. i cleaned down to bare metal, and went back to try again with some "different" ammo of a less hot variety, and i got an ejector mark on ever other case at the least. so now there are a total of 25 rounds through the rife, its been cleaned to bare metal 4 times, and the highest speed ive seen from anything out of this 6.5 prc is 2861 and its a 24" barrel. i called customer service, they were very nice, we had a great talk, and he said that lapping these barrels probably wont do much to help, and to just keep shooting it. im not here to insult anyone. but times being tough to get different ammo and reloading supplies, does anyone think that jb bore bright would help drastically? should the rifle go back or be sold? or are there any other suggestions? this is the only bergara ive touched, and the rest of the rifle seems great but it seems to me that the bore is dangerously tight or rough.

Thank you in advance to the internet experts that can help solve this problem.

Man, i hate to do this but i have to put bergara on blast for this one. and the purpose is not to attack a manufacturer, but instead i need some tips from the crowd about how to improve the rifle, given the shortages of everything. things just aren't available these days and a rifle that is more than $1000 ought to not be the weak point in the equation.

so a friend just got a B-14 and ask for help to set it up. i cleaned and inspected with a bore scope prior to going out, and the bore was rough enough to rip a cleaning patch in half. i thought that was a bit rough for my liking and patch some more, and it didn't happen again. We went out to shoot and put some factory ammo in, hornady eld-x 143 gr. so i fired 3 rounds in a clean dry barrel, of factory ammo, and got 3 heavy swipes and 1 Smokey primer. i didn't like that at all. the labradar read, 2781, 2796, 2799. we went back and bore scoped it, and after just 3 rounds the bore had a lot of copper in it an it looked very rough. i cleaned down to bare metal, and went back to try again with some "different" ammo of a less hot variety, and i got an ejector mark on ever other case at the least. so now there are a total of 25 rounds through the rife, its been cleaned to bare metal 4 times, and the highest speed ive seen from anything out of this 6.5 prc is 2861 and its a 24" barrel. i called customer service, they were very nice, we had a great talk, and he said that lapping these barrels probably wont do much to help, and to just keep shooting it. im not here to insult anyone. but times being tough to get different ammo and reloading supplies, does anyone think that jb bore bright would help drastically? should the rifle go back or be sold? or are there any other suggestions? this is the only bergara ive touched, and the rest of the rifle seems great but it seems to me that the bore is dangerously tight or rough.

Thank you in advance to the internet experts that can help solve this problem.
I wouldn't spend one cent, or a moment's time on it.
Send it back to Bergara, or sell it.

Not your job to unfuck a factory rifle.

I wouldn't spend one cent, or a moment's time on it.
Send it back to Bergara, or sell it.

Not your job to unfuck a factory rifle.
that's exactly how i feel. talking on the phone with them was very pleasant, but i was surprised by the feeling that i got front them that made it seem like this was normal. i have some bore scope pictures here. these pictures take place after the break in procedure was completed, and then cleaned down to bare metal, and then 8 shots where fired. looks pretty rough to me.

Attachments

• bore 1.jpg
    bore 1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 88
  • bore 2.jpg
    bore 2.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 89
  • bore 3.jpg
    bore 3.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 90
  • bore 4.jpg
    bore 4.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 92
  • bore 5.jpg
    bore 5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 89
  • bore 6.jpg
    bore 6.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 84
  • bore 7.jpg
    bore 7.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 79
  • bore 8.jpg
    bore 8.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 92
I'm also having an issue with my Bergara B-14 HMR in 308. I can't get it to shoot consistently under 1 MOA. I have a Tikka which will shoot consistently under 0.5 MOA. Anyway, the groups are usually between 1.5 and 2 MOA. I tried checking the scope rings, scope base, removing overspray, action screw torque, etc., The thing just won't shoot worth a crap. I tried messaging Bergara about it twice and didn't hear anything. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to call them because I'm tired of throwing my own money away on ammo trying to troubleshoot it.

Reactions: Savageman2506
I'm also having an issue with my Bergara B-14 HMR in 308. I can't get it to shoot consistently under 1 MOA. I have a Tikka which will shoot consistently under 0.5 MOA. Anyway, the groups are usually between 1.5 and 2 MOA. I tried checking the scope rings, scope base, removing overspray, action screw torque, etc., The thing just won't shoot worth a crap. I tried messaging Bergara about it twice and didn't hear anything. Anyway, I guess I'll just have to call them because I'm tired of throwing my own money away on ammo trying to troubleshoot it.
I'd definitely call them. Hopefully they'll honor their sub-moa rifle guarantee. Make sure you're using "match grade" ammo and shoot 4-5 groups and measure. Their guarantee is sub-moa 3-shot group at 100 yards with match ammo

I'd definitely call them. Hopefully they'll honor their sub-moa rifle guarantee. Make sure you're using "match grade" ammo and shoot 4-5 groups and measure. Their guarantee is sub-moa 3-shot group at 100 yards with match ammo
Yes, I tried FGMM 168 and 175 grain. It’s a crap shoot as to whether even 3 shot groups will be sub-MOA. I have a Tikka that costs about the same that will shoot sub-half MOA, so I hope for their sake they will honor their accuracy guarantee, otherwise they won’t be in business for long.

Yes, I tried FGMM 168 and 175 grain. It’s a crap shoot as to whether even 3 shot groups will be sub-MOA. I have a Tikka that costs about the same that will shoot sub-half MOA, so I hope for their sake they will honor their accuracy guarantee, otherwise they won’t be in business for long.
I hope they honor it too. Please report back.

If they keep screwing people over I will no longer recommend them at the gun counter I work at.

Reactions: mikehill85

If they keep screwing people over I will no longer recommend them at the gun counter I work at.
I'll definitely report back. I assume they will probably ask me to send the gun to them. I'll let you know what they say though.

I'll definitely report back. I assume they will probably ask me to send the gun to them. I'll let you know what they say though.
quoting Chad, assuming he's still there....

Give me a call at the office at 770-449-4687 and ask for Chad. We can talk and see if we can help over the phone and if not I will send you a shipping label and RMA to get it in for inspection.

Reactions: mikehill85

Just wanted to update you. I spoke with Bergara and they sent me a shipping label. I'll let you know how it goes. For the record these are the kind of groups we're talking about...Absolutely terrible...

Scan2023-06-02_185559.png

Last edited:
A buddy bought a B-14 in 300 Win. Not a shooter, not interesting. More of a "looks like long range rifle". Garbage barrels deliver garbage performance and that's about all there is to that.

A buddy bought a B-14 in 300 Win. Not a shooter, not interesting. More of a "looks like long range rifle". Garbage barrels deliver garbage performance and that's about all there is to that.
Yep. That's how mine is at the moment. Something that looks like a long range rifle, but doesn't shoot worth a crap. Anyway, hopefully Bergara will fix it.

Update: It seems Bergara has subbed repairs to a 3rd party. When I was out of the Country for 2 weeks on vacation they mailed the rile back to me without even bothering to let me know it was on the way. I had two failed deliveries and it almost got returned to sender before I was able to reschedule the delivery for this coming Monday (at my own expense). Anyway, I'm not sure if they did anything to it because they didn't even bother to keep me in the loop.

I had the exact same rifle and could not get it to shoot either. Handloads and factory sucked and it fouled up like a bastard. I got rid of the fucking thing. Went back to shooting my AI and all was good. Will never touch another Bergara rifle. Life is too short to buy shit. I should have learned my lesson from previous experiences.

Bottom line is this. The Bergara is a production rifle, and that business model requires production and sales volume to live, to even exist at all. Even in a perfect world where every single rifle shoots as well as their claim, the margins are still extremely thin. Throw in a few rifles that will not group well for whatever reason as there are a good number of reasons for this to include actual barrel quality itself. Yes it takes a good square concentric well machined receiver and bolt, but that is just the start. A highly accurate rifle that groups well is a group of systems where every single one of those systems must be at 100% to deliver top results to include the capability of the marksman. Take one detail out of that equation that is not 100% and you have an accuracy or a function issue. Don't feel bad as there are literally thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rifles out there that cannot and will not make the grade of 100% perfect in all categories of what makes a rifle exceptional. Enter the custom market where very single aspect of the build is scrutinized, every single component involved and how those components are fit together, and that those components are 100% perfectly fit together. Simply put together and precision fit are entirely different things. A well built rifle, where everything is 100% will shoot a good number of loads very well not just one maybe two loads. As I see it production rifles are a like rifle roulette. All it takes is one (1) very good rifle that is 100% in a practical caliber for a shooter to be supremely effective vs a safe full of rifles where everything is 75% and not a single one is any better than the other. Scratch that accuracy itch with a custom build.

Reactions: JFR
Update: Turns out the repair center didn't do anything to my rifle but they sent a test target with the below group. The note they included with the rifle said the action screws were over-torqued even though I used a Wheeler Fat Wrench and torqued it to their specs. I'm not sure what to think now. They said they used 168 grain SMKs. I guess I'll just try buying some factory 168 SMKs now and see how they shoot. I shot factory 168 grain SMKs before and they barely shot 1 MOA. Maybe my torque wrench is out of calibration. I'm not sure.

IMG-3823.jpg

Reactions: FiremanBrad
Update: Turns out the repair center didn't do anything to my rifle but they sent a test target with the below group. The note they included with the rifle said the action screws were over-torqued even though I used a Wheeler Fat Wrench and torqued it to their specs. I'm not sure what to think now. They said they used 168 grain SMKs. I guess I'll just try buying some factory 168 SMKs now and see how they shoot. I shot factory 168 grain SMKs before and they barely shot 1 MOA. Maybe my torque wrench is out of calibration. I'm not sure.

View attachment 8180098
Mechanical torque wrenches need to be calibrated on a regular basis, especially ones made in China.

Update: Found more documentation in the package Bergara sent me. They shot two groups, one was 0.17 MOA, the second was 0.98 MOA. They only sent me the target card for the small group, most likely because it could be easily argued that the “0.98 MOA” group was a bit over 1 MOA depending on how you measure it.
Regardless, that’s a wild difference in group size and is pretty much on par with the frustrating inconsistency I was getting with the gun. In other words, Bergara is fine with crazy fluctuations in group size/inconsistent performance like this and doesn’t see it as an issue. I definitely won’t be buying another Bergarbage product.
Looks like this turd is just going to collect dust in the back of the safe until the price of guns goes up even more an I can recoup my cost on it.

Last edited: