• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R Range Report and Assessment

Has anyone played around with bolt shims and noticed any discernible improvement?

Finally received my Bergara B-14R in the MPA chassis with a Vortex Viper 50/6-24. Very happy with the first results on 100 meters. I used SK Long Range Match as amo.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.13.49.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.13.49.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.14.04.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2021-06-30 om 15.14.04.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 181
  • Love
Reactions: A&8's
Finally received my Bergara B-14R in the MPA chassis with a Vortex Viper 50/6-24. Very happy with the first results on 100 meters. I used SK Long Range Match as amo.
any tinkering you had to get to get the mags to seat correctly? Can't seem to get mine to lock in fiddling with the adjustable mag catch.

There is an adjuster built into the mag catch on the newer mpa chassis. Check to see if yours has it. If not shoot them an email and they’ll usually send ya one for free.

Awesome thanks guys, can this be my excuse to put a diamond in it? 🤣
The correct answer is, "If a TT Diamond will fit it, that's enough excuse to put it in."

Reactions: FJB
I had my B14R Steel at the 50m range for the first time yesterday. Biggest issue for me is the trigger. But that's a personal thing, since I'm used to ultra-light air gun triggers (3.5 oz or less!). So that's probably the first upgrade. The stock trigger is not bad, it's crisp and clean - but too heavy for me.

The next thing is extraction. At first I thought - bummer, that's weak. But came clean up after shooting - I liked it! A neat little pile of brass right next to the rifle! I'm actually a fan. Had one empty case falling into the action when I worked the bolt very slow. So that's probably on me. And speaking of the bolt - it's gotten notably smoother to operate after a couple of cycles. Right out of the box it was rather stiff and unpleasant. But now - it's smooth and easy to manipulate.

b14rskstdpls.jpg

That's my best group of the day, 5 shots. Bottom right - that's #5 - which I pulled! Rifle has done about 100 shots - so that's promising! I too used MC-7 to clean the barrel. I cleaned it after each of the first 5 shots, and then just a dry patch after 50 shots.

I've got more ammo to test - though for my shooting skills that's probably hard to beat! All in all - I'm in love with my Bergara. It was not my first choice, but now I'm glad I bought it!

Here are some of my cherry picked 5 round groups with SK Rifle Match at 50 yards from my first outing with my new B14R CF. The one on the left that is low was the first one after getting getting a rough zero using CCI. I have mine mounted in a Grayboe Neo chassis.
20210622_165800.jpg
20210626_102701.jpg

Reactions: Big Bo
@Jackjam - I'm curious about where you found a BMP chassis to put on the B14 R. I have the BMP in 6.5 CM and would like to put that chassis on my B14 R to match...making a true trainer for centerfire.

BTW - looks really good.

Here are some of my cherry picked 5 round groups with SK Rifle Match at 50 yards from my first outing with my new B14R CF. The one on the left that is low was the first one after getting getting a rough zero using CCI. I have mine mounted in a Grayboe Neo chassis.
Do you happen to have a weight on that rig? I have been thinking about a CF barreled/Neo chassis rig for my wife.

And since everyone else is posting photos of their B14r. Forgive the hatchet job on the foam, that was my first time messing with Kaizen.

Attachments

• Pelican1.jpg
    Pelican1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Do you happen to have a weight on that rig? I have been thinking about a CF barreled/Neo chassis rig for my wife.

And since everyone else is posting photos of their B14r. Forgive the hatchet job on the foam, that was my first time messing with Kaizen.
10 lb, 11 oz without the mag. I'm having failure to feed issues with the Neo chassis. It usually starts happening around the 8th round.

Ahh, I’m in that same place. I do shoot the B14R more….much more. Thought about it , not made the jump.

My b14 r just broke a firing pen. Very disappointed.
You're kidding right?

I'm willing to take that disappointment of a rifle out of your hands for $600 if its' all original (not modified).

I assume you are trying to be funny?
Nope... dead serious. I thought you're trying to be funny.....

I'm just trying to help, so you don't have to call Bergara and get that new FREE firing pin in the mail...

Reactions: Hi-Wall
Nope... dead serious. I thought you're trying to be funny.....

I'm just trying to help, so you don't have to call Bergara and get that new FREE firing pin in the mail...
If you don’t have anything helpful to say. Then your just trolling me. People like you are ruining this site. I am done.

Bergara Contact​

If you need any additional information you can contact us using this form. We will try to answer you as soon as possible.

Business Hours: Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM EST

ico-phone.png
877 892 7544

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
I’ve got mine dialed in and got 2nd at a local nrl22 match making it my 5 top 3 finish with the rifle. This thing is an absolute hammer and it’s such a fun rifle to shoot overall. Couldn’t be more happier with it.

Attachments

• A0B66670-61E2-4E7A-BABE-6B2863570217.jpeg
    A0B66670-61E2-4E7A-BABE-6B2863570217.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 106
I don't think he is trolling you. I would take a second one in a heartbeat. If you have dry fired it at all, you will potentially break the firing pin.

Reactions: Hi-Wall
Do
I don't think he is trolling you. I would take a second one in a heartbeat. If you have dry fired it at all, you will potentially break the firing pin.
Do you see a problem that a “trainer” cannot be dry fired? Have dry fired my CZ452 over and over for 25 years. I may sell the b-14, but not for the insulting price offered.

Do

Do you see a problem that a “trainer” cannot be dry fired? Have dry fired my CZ452 over and over for 25 years. I may sell the b-14, but not for the insulting price offered.
NO insults mend !!! If you would read this forum information on your B14r you would have noticed that it is strongly suggested by knowledgeable members to use a dry wall anker (plastic) as a precaution. I do not have the size / part # here with me.
They are cheap and need to be replaced after firing pin fall wears them out.

There are exceptions but the general rule of thumb is that you shouldn't dry fire a .22 without a snap cap. Bergara will take care of you though I'm sure and help get your rifle back up and running.

Reactions: Tokay444
Last edited:
Do

I would agree it would have been nice to be part of the design but it isn't. I asked Bergara and they said don't do it. But now that you have a broken pin, can you use it to dry fire and install the new one to go shoot?

Yup, I had a broken firing pin and got replacement from Bergara. Now I'm using THESE . I do occasionally get a dry fire if I run a mag dry, which try not to do. That's probably the best I can do.

Been shooting and dry firing 22s for 50 years. First one to brake.

You've been fortunate, that's great. As a rule I don't dryfire my rimfire rifles if I can help it and I've never broken a firing pin either.

I get it, it's disappointing it broke but I'm sure Bergara will put it right. Then you can sell it or do whatever and I'm sure everyone will come out satisfied.

I would agree it would have been nice to be part of the design but it isn't. I asked Bergara and they said don't do it. But now that you have a broken pin, can you use it to dry fire and install the new one to go shoot?
I think it will be traded for a more robust design.

The more common issue with dry firing a 22RF firearm used to be peening the edge of the chamber, which interferes with both feeding & extraction when it gets bad enough. But even designs which have a short enough firing pin to avoid peening can still have issues with the pin breaking - a lot depends on how good the steel the pin is made from. As an example - the original firing pins in U.S. Army M261 22RF conversion kits broke with some regularity, but Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering started making spare pins from S7 tool steel, and I haven't had one of these break, nor have I heard of anyone else having any breakage. Point being - perhaps Bergara should step up and change the alloy they're using for their firing pins?

These don’t have the issue that most 22lr do where the firing pin over extends and peens the tenon face but they still do make some contact (not to the same extent as others)and the hardened pin slamming against a hard surface repeatedly will obv cause issues. It’s not a design fault or a issue, just be aware of it. Centerfire obv don’t have this issue since it’s a centered firing pin extending into an open space. I’ve broken two firing pins from normal wear and tear and both time bergara has sent me extras without question and for free.
They have a great cs team and generally take great care of their customers.

The more common issue with dry firing a 22RF firearm used to be peening the edge of the chamber, which interferes with both feeding & extraction when it gets bad enough. But even designs which have a short enough firing pin to avoid peening can still have issues with the pin breaking - a lot depends on how good the steel the pin is made from. As an example - the original firing pins in U.S. Army M261 22RF conversion kits broke with some regularity, but Frank White at Compass Lake Engineering started making spare pins from S7 tool steel, and I haven't had one of these break, nor have I heard of anyone else having any breakage. Point being - perhaps Bergara should step up and change the alloy they're using for their firing pins?
Took to long to type my reply out but pretty much the same thing.

If I feel the need to dryfire I can load empty cases in the magazine and they feed fine most of the time.

Does something the manufacture advises against. Breaks rifle. Disappointed in rifle. Wants something else to break.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
...I knew about this issue long before I bought my B14R. It's not like it's a big and well kept secret.

If I do "dry fire" practice, I always load snap caps. Even in my center fire guns. Why? Because I want to practice the handling of my guns, my safety routine and get familiar with every aspect of handling this particular gun. And that's my whole personal reason for doing dry fire practice in the first place.

Btw; the brass fired with my Browning BL-22 does not fit into my B14Rs chamber! It's that tight.

I don’t dry fire my CZ457MTR either, because, well, it’s a rimfire.

Reactions: Schütze
I very seldom dry-fire any of my rifles intentionally. I have a good friend who dry-fires his AR service rifle on a very regular basis, and his dedication & natural ability won him the civilian offhand aggregate trophy at Camp Perry a few years ago when the NRA was still holding the HP National Matches there. But this guy's dedication made my meager practice sessions look totally weak by comparison, especially after I finally legged-out 20+yrs ago. Earning the Distinguished Rifleman Badge was the motivation it took to keep me working at offhand, sitting, & prone. But since I have easy access to 50-100-1000yd shooting here on my own property, I never wanted to settle for dry-firing when I could be shooting a CLE 22RF dedicated upper or a practice 223 Wylde upper. And when the weather was too crappy to be outdoors, I shot offhand with a Walther LGR air rifle in the basement. But those were the days when we could all find normally priced loading components & 22RF ammo without doing anything more complicated than calling PV & placing an order.

For all you guys who live in an urban area where you can't just walk out of the garage door and start shooting like I can - you have my admiration & respect for going through all it takes to get to a range, and once there, to share it with how ever many other shooters who've also had to drive however far to get there. It's a wonder we still have as many members here who really want to develop & improve their shooting skills, and I worry about how many guys who've thrown in the towel and given up on shooting. So hang in there and keep dry-firing - hopefully, one of these days before long, we'll have a good reliable supply of 22RF ammo again, and that'll be one less reason why any of us have to settle for dry-firing.