• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R Range Report and Assessment

I have. Again, It makes no difference if I run it as slow as I can or...

What do live rounds getting stuck in the bore have to do with ejecting spent cases? They all do that because of the chamber not because there is potentially something wrong when it doesn't eject spent cases.
Would that not be considered a FTE?

My rifle is extracting fired cases just fine, but ejection pales compared to my Ruger American Rimfire.

I've only got 100 or so rounds through it, so we'll see what happens over the next couple range trips.

Got my new Athlon Midas BTR hooked up.
P1144722.JPG

Any recommendations for a bore guide? None of the heads on Tipton universal guide kit works.

Here is an email reply from possum hollow a few weeks ago when I ordered mine for my B14r

You need our #374 $20 to your door, feel free to give us a call at 260-377-9715.
Thanks, Rhys

I threw mine in a Manners PRS2, now I'll have to order another.
Fed prefect, but needs a little cut off the mag release to drop free without struggling with the latch.
They seems to work well with the mini chassis setup

Anyone know where to find magazines, that are in stock ?

Well shit, my dealer has #450 listed for B-14R and #374 for Tikka T1X.
I ordered one so I guess I will find out.

Called possum and talked to Eric and he said #373 so I dropped $20 shipped and pulled the trigger maybe call them tomorrow and see what he says

Gave them a call and ordered one. They confirmed #373 is more optimal for the B14R.
Looks like they just mistyped or something when they sent me that email because I just checked to see what they actually sent me and its the #373

Attachments

• 91D36EDA-62C2-4EE8-94FA-C37AFC142519.jpeg
    91D36EDA-62C2-4EE8-94FA-C37AFC142519.jpeg
    410.1 KB · Views: 82
Has anyone ran into the cold shot being way off from second shot? I'm doing a indoor 50yd benchrest league with my B14R and with SK Rifle Match am seeing the first shot of the day is always about 1.5" low and right. All following shots land where they are intended. Seeing this with about 200 rounds down the barrel and no cleaning between sessions.

Reactions: Bmaier69
Has anyone ran into the cold shot being way off from second shot? I'm doing a indoor 50yd benchrest league with my B14R and with SK Rifle Match am seeing the first shot of the day is always about 1.5" low and right. All following shots land where they are intended. Seeing this with about 200 rounds down the barrel and no cleaning between sessions.
Clean bore?
I missed the part about no cleaning. Lol

I get some wild shifts too but It may be different ammo/lube for me. I'll try to use the same ammo for awhile and document a cold bore shift.

Last edited:
My B 14R puts the first cold shot in the group no matter clean or not. One of the things I like about this rifle. I have near 10,000 rounds through it now. I didn't even try to test ammo or get a good zero until I put 500 rounds down the barrel, which I did the first day out. Here is a pic of a 50 yd warm up target just before an NRL22 match last November.
IMG_20210219_122805.jpg

To anyone interested i installed a timney hit trigger in my bergara. I ordered an 8 oz trigger and thats exactly what it pulls at . No issues with safety when doing the bump test either. Very happy with it .

• Wow
Reactions: 308pirate
My rifle is extracting fired cases just fine, but ejection pales compared to my Ruger American Rimfire.

I've only got 100 or so rounds through it, so we'll see what happens over the next couple range trips.

Last range trip, my B14R was MUCH more reliable in ejection...only had a couple of issues with brass not ejecting well and they were at the end of the range session.

Reactions: z28kid
Got mine Friday waiting on my
Xtr iii 5.5-30 to show up Monday. I did not read all 15 pages, does anyone have a recommended rod and or cleaning kit for .22 I have Dewey rods but nothing small enough for this. Like to find an all in one set.

I use my Dewey cleaning rod that is made for .22 - 6.5mm and I'm going to buy a opposum hollow bore guide.

Got mine Friday waiting on my
Xtr iii 5.5-30 to show up Monday. I did not read all 15 pages, does anyone have a recommended rod and or cleaning kit for .22 I have Dewey rods but nothing small enough for this. Like to find an all in one set.
I'm using a Pro-Shot rod off of Amazon. The only guide that I'm aware of is Possum Hollow.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on that scope.

Last edited:
I'm using a Pro-Shot rod off of Amazon. The only guide that I'm aware of is Possum Hollow.

I’ll let you know, I have three acres so I can shoot whenever. Getting a KYL target set here real soon and plan on beating up on this rifle and scope combo.

I swapped scopes from Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 x 50 mil to a Razor LHT 3-15 x 42 HSR 5i mil.

The Glass is really good in the Razor and I like the reticle, it's clean and uncluttered. Center dot is .1 mil.
This is the first; second focal plane I've used aside from hunting. I think I'll be able to work with it pretty well for PRS type matches.

Razor LHT Pro's
  • 19.5 oz shaved 1/2 pound off top/back of rifle.
  • Great glass + uncluttered reticle. I was able to easily spot misses at 300y berm shooting clay pigeon pieces.
  • Locking elevation turret with 6 mil per rotation = large click spacing. I'm 100% comfortable reaching up & dialing the elev without looking.
  • Parallax adjustment is fantastic especially when compared to the Ares BTR. LHT goes to 20y on bottom end & LHT 20-30 is same amount of rotation as 20-50 on the Ares.
  • LHT came with a certificate for a free Kenton industries elevation Ballistic strip. Most match ammo has very similar MV & BC so after a little more testing I'll order the strip graduated in yardages that make the most sense for 22 matches in my area.
  • Simple uncluttered mil reticle with fine center dot & it remains the ideal size at any mag. 10mil elev hold @ max power & 20 mil @ 7.5x
  • At any magnification I can still use the reticle as a ruler to correct for a miss as long as I don't change magnification between shots.
  • I have exactly 18 mils up elevation on the turret from 50y zero with 25moa pic rail.
  • Sunshade was included.
Cons.
  • Must remember not to use reticle subtensions for known dope unless at max power.
  • At half power with subtensions doubled they are pretty course @ 1 full mill
  • No marking on mag dial for half power. @vortex.nick - Adding the 7.5x mark to the Razor LHT's would be a very inexpensive improvement.
1616299164706.png

Took it out Friday & put 250 through it. SK Rifle Match, SK long range, Norma Tac 22, & Lapua Center X.

Out of 250 rounds I had zero failure feed & 2 ejection failures that left empty brass in the action to be cleared. I'm kicking myself now for not bringing a handful of empty brass home to try and figure this out. All 250 were shot with the Mack Brothers 10 x 2 mag.

On @308pirate advice I tried Norma TAC-22 first after sighting in and with a clean barrel. The B14R definitely likes the Norma Tac. It shot as good if not a little better then the Lapua Center X! The Norma TAC has RWS head stamp, but not sure which one it is?

I did re-torque my action screws to 45 in lbs prior to this & it certainly didn't hurt. Looks to have improved a little, but I didn't do any methodical testing to try teasing out the difference.

Tried to time the wind the best I could. Target stand was moving target vertical 1" depending on wind.
IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6109.jpg

The range I shoot at backs up to the Naticoke River & the wind does some strange things. It was 10-18mph winds and the wind tends to straighten as it goes in front of the big berms so what I call as 7:30 from the line turns 9:00 at the 50 y berm. I actually wasn't able to get a windage zero on the new scope do to the winds. Here's where it gets strange, @ 300y the trees behind the berm were blowing the opposite direction from the 50?
Below is a satellite view of the range (center). I can see why the winds get goofy.
1616299680432.png

IMG_6103.jpg

It took a couple shots @300 to figure out elev & windage with SK long range & Norma Tac =14.2 mils & SK Match 14.4 from 50zero & basically the same wind hold used at 50 worked for 300 do to switching wind. It was gusty and I didn't do so hot trying to time shots at 300.

So there are SK long range, SK match, & Norma Tac sprinkled in here. I saw 2 misses where wind caught it & blew it off the left side.
This didn't look that great to me, but the other guy shooting 300 couldn't believe it held together that good. He probably wasn't a good guage since his 5x 300 win had as big a spread as this 30x group.

IMG_6112 rotate.jpg

This was on my front porch when I got home..........next trip!
IMG_6115.jpg

Time to try out these VFG bore swabs.
IMG_6116.jpg

Last edited:

So far love the scope. Only shot 15 rounds through it while I was grilling last night. This was rounds 5-10

Attachments

• 16B4E471-4FA6-402D-A019-B499AEE38DFA.jpeg
    16B4E471-4FA6-402D-A019-B499AEE38DFA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
Reactions: ~JM~
Took my Griffin tapper mount brake off the B14r today cause I had some wild fliers last time out and couldn't believe the difference in performance. I started with the standard Kraft baseline build and break for 12 rounds.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-03-27 01:40:58.944807.jpg

I'm using Remington Thunderbolt ammo here at 50 yards. Target indicates a 2 ring plus ten for a 12 second par for the stressed target.

I modified that slightly to one shot from each of the four positions and allowed 48 second par on the shot timer.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-03-26 23:39:08.033900.jpg

I ran this drill 5 times for a total of 20 shots. That wide one was me getting sloppy on a shot from kneeling.

I'm really liking this Bergara!

Last edited:
Reactions: XgobudX
Received on on test today.
Never had a Bergara in my hands before, and i must say that i am impressed of the quality of this fine little, but heavy rifle :)
B12.JPG

Put 50 rounds through mine today at 190yds, shot well was hitting a 3” steel target consistently off of a tank trap, shot prone a little and discovered this little guy laying on my shooting mat, any idea where this fell out of?

Attachments

• 9B292DBB-3562-4EF8-A14A-AE8476526926.jpeg
    9B292DBB-3562-4EF8-A14A-AE8476526926.jpeg
    715.5 KB · Views: 223
Reactions: Fat Frank
That is the trigger weight adjusting screw. Leave it out, put it in the parts bag that came with the rifle.

Reactions: Natureman
Put 50 rounds through mine today at 190yds, shot well was hitting a 3” steel target consistently off of a tank trap, shot prone a little and discovered this little guy laying on my shooting mat, any idea where this fell out of?
Base of the trigger housing. Looks like the tension adjustment screw.

I would have gotten back sooner but I have been swamped at work and also being the chief of a volunteer fire dept I stay busy trying to juggle life. Since last Friday through today we have ran 18 calls one of them being a full code. So I took off from work and got a little needed range time.