• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B14R Range Day

MarkCZ

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I have had my B14R for 3 weeks. I have had it to the range group shooting three times. Ammo testing all 10 - 5 shot groups agg. at 50 yds.. Wolf match Target 0.3545", Wolf Match Extra 0.3540", Norma Tac 22 0.3482", Norma Match 0.3423", Eley Club 0.3350", SK Rifle Match 0.3421" with the small group 0.140".
Today it was fun shooting, at 50yds, I split playing cards, cut match stick, and a KYL target. I shoot the small KYL with 5/8", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 3/16" targets with 10 rounds run the targets, then see how many times I can hit the 3/16" target. I ran it twice hitting all target and hitting the 3/16" 5 more times. The cards are shot in matches with 10 round to split one card. I split 4 cards with 7 rounds. Matches are shot in matches with 10 for 5 matches. I just load it up and shoot.
The other KYL with 3 spinners is 1/2" targets stacked to make 1.5", 1" and 1/2". I set it up at 150yds today. . I shot all steel at 150 yds. gongs 10" for sighting in mostly 4" down to 1".
The B14R seems to shoot better every time I shoot it.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_1753 2.JPG
    IMG_1753 2.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    540.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_3459.JPG
    IMG_3459.JPG
    509.5 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    420.3 KB · Views: 286
That's really good. You got a good one for sure. Mine, not so much. Mine does ok, shoots under 1/2" 80% of the time but nothing like what you are getting. But, I shipped my B-14R out today for evaluation. Look at it this way, I like the B-14R platform so much I don't mind spending money on it.

I'd love to see some shots on paper.

That's really good. You got a good one for sure. Mine, not so much. Mine does ok, shoots under 1/2" 80% of the time but nothing like what you are getting. But, I shipped my B-14R out today for evaluation. Look at it this way, I like the B-14R platform so much I don't mind spending money on it.

I have to agree on the platform. I also had one that did not shoot this well. Sold it. Thinking about purchasing another. Just wish it had a 20 inch threaded barrel.

I have few pics of groups. I have more target, but I left them at the range. The one group on the CCI SV page has a group circled. That is where I fire a new brand of ammo, until the new ammo settles down, when I will shoot groups. these group were fired over 3 different days. The first 50 to 100 round some good , some not. It was me learning to shoot this gun and a 2.5 lb trigger and break-in. I was many one shot out with 4 in a cluster, me i guess. I have a Trigger Tech Diamond on it now. Want to get some higher grade ammo to try. I have mostly Wolf and Norma for now.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    296.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_5137.JPG
    IMG_5137.JPG
    317.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1154 3.JPG
    IMG_1154 3.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_7872 2.JPG
    IMG_7872 2.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 216
Ok, yeah that's not to far off from where I'm at. Mine is the first rimfire I have had that shoots worse suppressed. Are you shooting suppressed? If so how does it do? Below is the last groups I shot, again 70% at 1/2" or better but if I could take away one shot I'd have 100% at 1/2". I'm hoping when mine comes back it will be a true 100% 3/8" gun with maybe at least 50% shooting 1/4". That would be suppressed and unsuppressed.
B-14R SK RM 9-6-20.jpg

Ok, yeah that's not to far off from where I'm at. Mine is the first rimfire I have had that shoots worse suppressed. Are you shooting suppressed? If so how does it do? Below is the last groups I shot, again 70% at 1/2" or better but if I could take away one shot I'd have 100% at 1/2". I'm hoping when mine comes back it will be a true 100% 3/8" gun with maybe at least 50% shooting 1/4". That would be suppressed and unsuppressed.View attachment 7422362
Comes back from where?

Ok, yeah that's not to far off from where I'm at. Mine is the first rimfire I have had that shoots worse suppressed. Are you shooting suppressed? If so how does it do? Below is the last groups I shot, again 70% at 1/2" or better but if I could take away one shot I'd have 100% at 1/2". I'm hoping when mine comes back it will be a true 100% 3/8" gun with maybe at least 50% shooting 1/4". That would be suppressed and unsuppressed.View attachment 7422362

Your are like mine, 4 in a knot with 1 out. This gun is not a benchrest gun. The bolt closing is a little heavy. I was upsetting the setup of the gun. you can't shoot bug holes if you change set of the gun. It is gun handling. But when I went to steel and stuff, it shot great.
Mark

Rebarrel at a minimum. He should have it this coming Wednesday.

curious which barrel you selected? I been kicking around sending mine to Joe Chacon and get him to do a shilen ratchet with one of his tuners.. but I gotta convince my wife to spend that much!

Back out today with the B14R. shooting some steel again at 150yds. I have a match this weekend if the rain holds off. It is long range Silhouette shot at twice the distance 80yds to 200yds. The Chicken were a piece of cake at 150yds.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    772 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_7655.JPG
    IMG_7655.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 255
Back out today with the B14R. shooting some steel again at 150yds. I have a match this weekend if the rain holds off. It is long range Silhouette shot at twice the distance 80yds to 200yds. The Chicken were a piece of cake at 150yds.
Mark
Thats nice, I'm pulling for ya. What regulation size targets are those?

KOD, they are 1/5 scale. shot from a bench. Sight in at each range. If you have made it up to VA. The range is close to Abingdon. https://nfscinc.com

KOD, they are 1/5 scale. shot from a bench. Sight in at each range. If you have made it up to VA. The range is close to Abingdon. https://nfscinc.com
I'm getting close. We have cut and pushed over trees and my contractor has go the building and septic permit. I'm hoping to get moved in sometime around April or May of next year.

Thanks for the link. I'll have that range and Kettlefoot to shoot at when I need to test myself.

Last edited:
Took the Wife out today to shoot. I have to drag her to go, but once there, she has a ball. I check the zero at 150 yds on the Bergara. and turned it over to her. I told her to start on the larger target, then go to the smaller ones. "No, I am starting on the small one" ( 1" gong ) OK go for it, damn she hit it on the first shot, then hit every small target out there many times. I only had the Turkey, Chicken, 2" and 1" out today. See pics above. She has done this before. See https://www.6mmbr.com/Schronce600.html.
Mark

Reactions: STex
When I get moved to Meadowview I'm coming to the Saltville range. I might make it a point to be up at the Tiny House when you all have a match. At least watch if not shoot. I haven't shot in a competition since back in the 90's shooting IHMSA.

When I get moved to Meadowview I'm coming to the Saltville range. I might make it a point to be up at the Tiny House when you all have a match. At least watch if not shoot. I haven't shot in a competition since back in the 90's shooting IHMSA.

3rd Sat of the month. Check with club before making a trip. Bring a gun and shoot. Very laid back match.
Mark

3rd Sat of the month. Check with club before making a trip. Bring a gun and shoot. Very laid back match.
Mark

I may try to make it to one of these in the coming months. I’ve had my B14r out to 300yds so far with 4-5” plates. Lots of success, but the wind plays hell.

Being up near Wytheville, do you ever shoot the matches in the barn (the bipod posse)?

I may try to make it to one of these in the coming months. I’ve had my B14r out to 300yds so far with 4-5” plates. Lots of success, but the wind plays hell.

Being up near Wytheville, do you ever shoot the matches in the barn (the bipod posse)?

No, I have not shot in the barn. I have shot at Bangsteel.com with centerfire. same land as the barn.
Mark

I have had my B14R for 3 weeks. I have had it to the range group shooting three times. Ammo testing all 10 - 5 shot groups agg. at 50 yds.. Wolf match Target 0.3545", Wolf Match Extra 0.3540", Norma Tac 22 0.3482", Norma Match 0.3423", Eley Club 0.3350", SK Rifle Match 0.3421" with the small group 0.140".
Today it was fun shooting, at 50yds, I split playing cards, cut match stick, and a KYL target. I shoot the small KYL with 5/8", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4" and 3/16" targets with 10 rounds run the targets, then see how many times I can hit the 3/16" target. I ran it twice hitting all target and hitting the 3/16" 5 more times. The cards are shot in matches with 10 round to split one card. I split 4 cards with 7 rounds. Matches are shot in matches with 10 for 5 matches. I just load it up and shoot.
The other KYL with 3 spinners is 1/2" targets stacked to make 1.5", 1" and 1/2". I set it up at 150yds today. . I shot all steel at 150 yds. gongs 10" for sighting in mostly 4" down to 1".
The B14R seems to shoot better every time I shoot it.
Mark
So I’d just read your post about finally getting your magazines and in that thread I’d asked how you like the rifle- guess with these stellar results you couldn’t help but love it. It getting harder and harder to not buy the rimfire!

So I’d just read your post about finally getting your magazines and in that thread I’d asked how you like the rifle- guess with these stellar results you couldn’t help but love it. It getting harder and harder to not buy the rimfire!

I have a Kidd Supergrade and Tikka T1X that shoot great. The Bergara shoot as good as they do. If you have the centerfire, you know how it feels to shoot. The Kidd weighs 11.5 lbs. The T1X is 10.5 lbs. The Bergara is 12.5 lbs. It stays put on the bench the best.
Mark

I have a Kidd Supergrade and Tikka T1X that shoot great. The Bergara shoot as good as they do. If you have the centerfire, you know how it feels to shoot. The Kidd weighs 11.5 lbs. The T1X is 10.5 lbs. The Bergara is 12.5 lbs. It stays put on the bench the best.
Mark
Thanks for the reply, I’ll bet it stays where you want it, I bet it would be like a plague on a gofer town.
I’m more interested in ventilating varmints than winning a small bore match but I’d be great to have one rifle that truly did both without sacrificing anything in either pursuit.

Anybody have a B-14r in a MPA chassis? Having trouble with the mags dipping down in the front. Waiting on their magazine blocks to ship for now to try those.

Sorry to hear this. I went with a MDT XRS and I'm hoping I don't have issues either since my barreled action didn't come with the DBM. I'd like to see a photo of what it's doing.

Sorry to hear this. I went with a MDT XRS and I'm hoping I don't have issues either since my barreled action didn't come with the DBM. I'd like to see a photo of what it's doing.

Please keep us posted how this works out.
My plan also is to grab Barreled Action and an XRS.

Plan B is buy B14-R complete, strip it and put in XRS and use original stock for a project Rem700... assuming the Bergara stock is compatable with a R700 barreled action.

Had to reorder the MDT XRS. Coretac Solutions in Canada doesn't ship chassis to the US. Now, for $100 more I have bought from Altus. If it ships today I might have it by Monday or Tuesday. This was the cheapest route other than the McMillan Legend Deluxe with DBM.

Had to reorder the MDT XRS. Coretac Solutions in Canada doesn't ship chassis to the US. Now, for $100 more I have bought from Altus. If it ships today I might have it by Monday or Tuesday. This was the cheapest route other than the McMillan Legend Deluxe with DBM.

I think I might have tried an ORYX chassis first, they have a 30 full refund offer if not satisfied, and only $399.

I think I might have tried an ORYX chassis first, they have a 30 full refund offer if not satisfied, and only $399.
I tried everything the oryx guys and I could think of but wasn’t able to get the magazine to feed reliable.
The short story, when you pull on the front mag downward and release, it“snaps” back up against the breach. This is in the factory stock. In the oryx it doesn’t do this, you pull down and it stays there. You push up in the correct feeding position and it drops down during shooting and handling (ftf). I installed my RimX in the oryx and it feeds / operates perfect.....

Anybody have a B-14r in a MPA chassis? Having trouble with the mags dipping down in the front. Waiting on their magazine blocks to ship for now to try those.

A friend of mine has the same issue. Will not feed unless you push up on the front of the mag. He's currently using electrical tape wrapped around the mag to shim it.

A friend of mine has the same issue. Will not feed unless you push up on the front of the mag. He's currently using electrical tape wrapped around the mag to shim it.
That’s why mine stays in the original bergara stock for now. It’s actually a pretty decent one I think.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
That’s why mine stays in the original bergara stock for now. It’s actually a pretty decent one I think.
I also really like the factory HMR stock. Based on what I have heard and after talking with KRG on the phone about their Bravo I decided to go with the MDT XRS chassis because it might give me the best chance to work like it should.

For people who have not or are thinking about buying just the B-14R barreled action, take not of our pitfalls so you can plan accordingly.

I can’t proof it but I believe that you are fine with every stock that accepts the bergara bottom metal because it has the correct angles and pushes the front of the mag up with the spring tension of the mag latch.

I certainly realize this doesn’t help to know in what chassis this action reliable feeds.

But I would be careful to believe that it works fine in an mdt or mpa chassis without someone really testing the issue of the front mag not staying up against the barrel / breach.
Some shooters may say it feeds fine and don’t realize the bullet tip or casing gets slightly damaged when chambered.

Pushing it up there with a additional screw in the trigger guard or by the use of tape is a solution I don’t accept.

I talked to Grayboe and they told me the factory DBM wouldn't fit their Ridgeback. Told me it would cost $70 for them to cut one to fit. I guess what I'm saying is if the Grayboe won't work with the the factory DBM it's hard to tell what will. I guess that's why a lot/most/all?? stock makers make their own DBM.

So the take away so far is the B14R is R700 compatible but not enough to function reliably?
So far MPA and ORYX are no go, any others confirmed?

I really hope your XRS works out KOD, my plan as is yours is to buy a barreled action and put the $500 (Canadian) saved on the Bergara stock into that MDT.

Anybody try Cadex Strike Nuke yet?

Why is MPA a no go? I know of 2 ppl that are running them in MPA chassis. I may put mine in one of my MPA’s just to give it a try.

Why is MPA a no go? I know of 2 ppl that are running them in MPA chassis. I may put mine in one of my MPA’s just to give it a try.

From what I read above the mag "falls" from the breach while firing. Someone "fixed" with electrical tape.
Good data point you know of two in the wild functioning properly.

Mine is in a Krg whiskey 3. So far it's been good, but did have feeding issues with cci sv in 1 of 4 mags, my other 3 feed well so far. I think feeding will be inconsistent however, if you have the mag jammed against a bag or barricade. Time will tell, going out tomorrow for further testing. Only have 250 rounds through it so far, all from a bench. Tomorrow will be positional and the real test.

Just dropped my barreled action into a KRG Bravo. Mags feed perfectly. I might have just got lucky but ran about 150 or so rounds without a hickup.

Would really appreciate any more data from people on MPA chassis feeding, especially if the blocks make any improvements.

Anyone tried ACC yet looking for this particular issue?

Feeding in my whiskey 3 is not good. Tried 4 different mags today. Had 1 that was reliable, that now hangs up on rounds 6 and 8, even from the bench. Any backward pressure on the front of the mags = no feeding. If you put upward pressure on the front of the mags, feeding is fine. Need to get it figured out soon. Really accurate rifle, shoots center X better than my 40x and 52d.

Feeding in my whiskey 3 is not good. Tried 4 different mags today. Had 1 that was reliable, that now hangs up on rounds 6 and 8, even from the bench. Any backward pressure on the front of the mags = no feeding. If you put upward pressure on the front of the mags, feeding is fine. Need to get it figured out soon. Really accurate rifle, shoots center X better than my 40x and 52d.
That matches my experience with the oryx, after every shot the front drops a little more and then finally the sixth one or so will get jammed. But have in mind bullet 3-5 may have been shaved already by the edge of the chamber wile they still went in.

That matches my experience with the oryx, after every shot the front drops a little more and then finally the sixth one or so will get jammed. But have in mind bullet 3-5 may have been shaved already by the edge of the chamber wile they still went in.

Yes, definitely shaving lead. I bought mine as a barreled action through Brownells, didn't think it would be an issue, but definitely is. Seems it only runs good with their bottom metal. Can't wait for a permanent fix, not ready to give up on it, just frustrated. Damn thing shoots excellent, be a great day when it functions the same.

Anyone try a Bergara BMP chassis. I am waiting on a barreled action and was planning on dropping it in a spare bmp chassis. Didn’t anticipate any issues seeing they are both bergara products but now you guys have me nervous.