• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara BMR Micro Rimfire .22 LR

I’ll try and get some video of it. I need to look up a parts diagram or something for a frame of reference and where to apply lube to the bolt after I clean it. I plan on documenting everything and if I get it figured out create a post to help anyone else who might end up with the same issue.
Which areas on the bolt did you apply polish? and which areas do I need to make sure I don’t get polish on?
As far as my expectations of the BMR I received. I have shot around 20 different bolt action rifle, some old, some new, none of them where what most people would consider “high end”. The older ones had a little more play in the action, the newer ones were tighter, and all of them went through their range of motion without getting hung up anywhere. I am new to owning guns, and I don’t have anywhere near the experience that most of the people who post here. I own 3 handguns and everyone of them works great. Do I expect my Sig P226 to run and work like my Beretta FSR 22, nope! But I expect both guns to function. Put a mag in, rack the slide, disengage the safety and fire when I pull trigger? Yes! The bolt on this like racking the slide, no matter how much you paid for the gun you expect to be able to run it without it stuttering and hearing grinding noises. I’m totally sure that your BMR works fine, maybe a little stiff. The reason I bring this up is that I think, and correct me if I’m wrong, that you are assuming that the gun I got is just like yours and I’m just being a little bitch about all of this. I promise you that’s not the case. I’m all for doing the little things that make my guns better and my first step is always shooting them every time I get a chance. This is the first gun that I have received that didn’t just work out of the box. As far as my expectation, I figured that a ~$650 22lr plinker would make the cans I shot at with it, more dead than if I shot them with a $400 Ruger…. I was just expecting a nicer gun for the extra money over a $400 gun, nothing more.

Most likely the bolt release is dragging in the groove it rides in it acts as a bolt guide chech it for burred edges and/or rough machine marks

deburr and Smooth the bolt release groove and check the bolt release that protrudes into that groove
Then put Fitz or automotive valve grinding compound in the groove and cycle the action 100 times lean out the Fitz
Thanks I’ll take a look at that. I want to wait until I hear back from Bergara before I try and fix it, but I will post what they say and or what the fix ends up being.

Reactions: jackd
Second and third what JackD and AZ Dan said. After verifying there are no obvious burrs or problems, clean it out (I would use a spray pump or aerosol clp type cleaner sprayed in from the side with it being able to drip out of the back of the receiver, run a tooth brush or other brush in and out over everything I could reach and spray it down again with the CLP, and wipe off all I could. Then I would get some Flitz applied to all bearing surfaces on the bolt and run it a few times, see where it is in the action, make sure there is polish on there, and spend an evening running the bolt.

Do it 100-200 times, clean it, little lube, and see how it feels. I would bet you will have one of the best feeling bolts you have experienced in a $500 gun. I have had one really rough bolt in an FV-SR and that solved the problem, though it was a bit uglier with some of the coating removed.

I found a video of a guy polishing the bolt on his CZ, but in it he only focused on the flat part of it where the dove tail channel runs down the middle. In the before footage it wasn’t that bad, but it gave a good overview of what to look for and how to do it. The one thing I didn’t think about before I got the gun is that there isn’t anyplace to buy parts for it.

As of right now the only thing I have got back from Bergara is a UPS link. What ever it is will be here in a week.
kind of odd, no Other email or information.

TheBlackSmith,
My friend of mine had to polish his CZ 455 bolt due to it being ruff, you could see the tool marks. I got a new Ruger 10-22 Target a few years ago. it was jamming from the start. The bolt was ruff as a cob. I polished the bolt and the inside of the action, works prefect now. Is scaring on the bolt? Just polish the bolt, and see how it shoots.
Mark

TheBlackSmith,
My friend of mine had to polish his CZ 455 bolt due to it being ruff, you could see the tool marks. I got a new Ruger 10-22 Target a few years ago. it was jamming from the start. The bolt was ruff as a cob. I polished the bolt and the inside of the action, works prefect now. Is scaring on the bolt? Just polish the bolt, and see how it shoots.
Mark
Thanks for the advice. I’m in the process to get rid of it. Personally, I have no idea why they bothered making it. It’s target market would be people who didn’t know that other companies make better 22lr for the money.

Thanks for the advice. I’m in the process to get rid of it. Personally, I have no idea why they bothered making it. It’s target market would be people who didn’t know that other companies make better 22lr for the money.
I think you are exaggerating your situation. What is rough to you, may feel normal to me. I'd bet it's the bolt catch that is causing your issue. And you don't seem to be attempting to rectify the situation...you are just giving up. Bergara sent you a way to return the rifle for warranty work...are you not going to avail yourself of that?

I think you are exaggerating your situation. What is rough to you, may feel normal to me. I'd bet it's the bolt catch that is causing your issue. And you don't seem to be attempting to rectify the situation...you are just giving up. Bergara sent you a way to return the rifle for warranty work...are you not going to avail yourself of that?
Bergara sent me a tracking number for a label that has been sitting right where it was printed a week ago. With no explanation from them about what the link is for. It’s the only thing I have heard from them.
Think what ever you like.

If any of you are thinking about getting a Bergara BMR, get a hold of AZ Dan for a completely unbiased view point of it. I have no idea about my experience, the bolt on mine works great, none the stuff I posted ever happened.

If any of you are thinking about getting a Bergara BMR, get a hold of AZ Dan for a completely unbiased view point of it. I have no idea about my experience, the bolt on mine works great, none the stuff I posted ever happened.
Lighten up Francis.

Im very interested in buying a BMR rifle and am unsure if the carbon barrel version is worth the extra money. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

My perception was that bolt felt kind of rough/gritty when I was first running it. I certainly don't notice that any more.

After reading some of these comments I paid close attention to how the bolt runs. There are several places where you can feel something but mainly, I think, it's when the bolt stop drops in and moves out of it's groove that could lead to a perception of rough running.

Im very interested in buying a BMR rifle and am unsure if the carbon barrel version is worth the extra money. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
I’m pretty sure most of the people who posted on here got the steel barrel version, so to them it wasn’t worth it. I got the carbon version because I liked the looks of it more. It has a black stock and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel which makes it a little bit lighter. Both models are pretty light how it is, so it’s up to you to decide if you want to pay more for those features.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I’m pretty sure most of the people who posted on here got the steel barrel version, so to them it wasn’t worth it. I got the carbon version because I liked the looks of it more. It has a black stock and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel which makes it a little bit lighter. Both models are pretty light how it is, so it’s up to you to decide if you want to pay more for those features.
I also bought the carbon barrel, sor the looks and to see if it would function any better than a steel barrel. I love the asceticsof it. Now dose it have any benifit outside of the weight I do not believe so.

I’ll have to look in a bit.
I read into that ad after I linked it. It says something about shipping delays. I’d call them before I bought them.

Wonder why no one is 3d printing the mags and selling as kits?

$39 per ten round mag? 3d printing leads me to believe there'd be plenty of mark-up or profit and certainly demand at say $25.

$39 per ten round mag? 3d printing leads me to believe there'd be plenty of mark-up or profit and certainly demand at say $25.
3D printing would be worth a try if you were making them for yourself and a few friends. If I had to guess, the customer service part of selling 3D printed magazines would be a nightmare.

US Patent Law. You can’t just go around copying a patented design and selling it for profit.

Something about that gunbroker ad seems a little off. Bergara told me the mags aren’t even in the country yet, so the only way for that gun shop to be selling them is to take them out of a rifle box. Also, the mags aren’t listed on Bergara’s website, so who knows if $39 is a good price. I’m happy with the two that are included with the rifle, so I’m happy to wait until Bergara has extra mags.

I get the customer service is a pain in the ass, and certainly get the patented part.

That said, how many gazillion patented cartridges are a few thousands different but still fire in the other chamber?

243 LBC and ……

And MagPul and MDT mags AICS compatible without being AICS and……

From the 3D printed stuff I've seen so far.... I'd rather pay twice for a "proper" mag. Unless we are talking laser sintered nylon mags. I'll be getting some mag extensions laser sintered soon, for my Pardini. This stuff is tough!

Still having a hard time seeing how making an extension in 3d is much different than making a mag.

Maybe I should quit bitching and take up the challenge.
I think the extension would be easier than creating the magazines. The worst outcome would be that you learn a lot in the process which to me, would be worth it.

Still having a hard time seeing how making an extension in 3d is much different than making a mag.

Maybe I should quit bitching and take up the challenge.
A mag extension doesn't have a patent on it held by Bergara, the magazine does. Wait 20 years until the patent expires, and the world is your oyster.

Magpul and many others make AICS pattern magazines because it is an industry standard, you can't patent the size of a thing. If Magpul made an exact copy of a patented product made by Accuracy International, they would find themselves in court.

The biggest issue with making a magazine versus an extension is the feed lips. This is much harder to design because one have degree difference will change the way they feed and screw it all up. Also, the materials used for the extension don't have to hold up to nearly the same abuse that the top half of the magazine does. If you notice on the l3i magazine it's made of a nylon material that is 3x to 4X the cost of the standard PLA that someone could print in their house. We tested a ton of them and the feed lips just don't last when printed with PLA.

Reactions: sparkyv
Finally got my BMR back from BPI. They ended up sending me a replacement. It works great! I don’t know what was going on with the first one I got but I guess it was messed up enough that it wasn’t worth fixing. As for their customer service, I don’t plan on doing business with them in the future which sucks because I think Bergara makes a good product. My feeling is that if I buy something from your company and it’s defective, I shouldn’t have to chase after you to get it corrected. No email that they received my rifle, no communication at all actually. I emailed them after it had been a month and that’s when I found out that they had shipped it. It was as though they were put out by the whole ordeal so they didn’t bother letting me know what was going on.

Any new range results? Ammo preferences? Anybody?

Any new range results? Ammo preferences? Anybody?
I picked one up this week.

Shooting in the backyard with my son’s book bag for a front rest and balancing on the hot tub cover it shows ……promise.

It might be a while before I get to try some ammo testing. First impressions of the gun were good. The polymer stock is quite sturdy, the finishing on the metal parts looks great and the bolt runs smooth.

I’m waiting on a Form 1 to come back so I can build the suppressor for it.

I picked one up this week.

Shooting in the backyard with my son’s book bag for a front rest and balancing on the hot tub cover it shows ……promise.

It might be a while before I get to try some ammo testing. First impressions of the gun were good. The polymer stock is quite sturdy, the finishing on the metal parts looks great and the bolt runs smooth.

I’m waiting on a Form 1 to come back so I can build the suppressor for it.
Thanks!

I, too, recently picked one up. I'm waiting for at least 20 degree temps to shoot it...🥶

No. But my carbon fiber likes to shoot. Glad I bought one.

I haven’t tried a bunch of ammo yet, but damn is this thing fun. We had 70 degree weather here in Ohio over the weekend. I have it zeroed at 25 yards. I had to put 4.8 mils on it to hit the 150 yard plate. Add to that some wind and it’s just plain, cheap fun.

I haven’t tried a bunch of ammo yet, but damn is this thing fun. We had 70 degree weather here in Ohio over the weekend. I have it zeroed at 25 yards. I had to put 4.8 mils on it to hit the 150 yard plate. Add to that some wind and it’s just plain, cheap fun.
That's pretty close to what my Kestrel says. It actually spits out 4.24 MIL, but it's calibrated to my Vudoo.

That's pretty close to what my Kestrel says. It actually spits out 4.24 MIL, but it's calibrated to my Vudoo.
I think I was using Aguila standard velocity. You don’t happen to have the BC for that bullet do you?

I think I was using Aguila standard velocity. You don’t happen to have the BC for that bullet do you?
I don't. With my Vudoo 20" MTU barrel, I have the mine calibrated with SK Pistol Match, 1082fps over my MagnetoSpeed V3 attached to the ARCA spigot, DM is G1, but adjusted to BC 0.157. I also have a scope over bore height of 1.95", which is certainly used in the Kestrel calculation.

I don't know if or how much that will help you?

Back to the original topic...how are y'all liking the BMR with 18" carbon barrel? Thinking about getting one, to use for the woods with a suppressor.

JBM lists:
Ballistic Coefficient:0.158 G1 (ASM)

I have seen them list ASM when it was really ICAO though, so take that part with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Cowpokey
JBM lists:
Ballistic Coefficient:0.158 G1 (ASM)

I have seen them list ASM when it was really ICAO though, so take that part with a grain of salt.
That's extremely close to what I got with SKPM. It's weird that the published "standard" BC for most SV ammo is around 0.120

Back to the original topic...how are y'all liking the BMR with 18" carbon barrel? Thinking about getting one, to use for the woods with a suppressor.
I have zero complaints thus far. Shoots little groups and light weight. I think one would be hard pressed to find a better suppressed woods 22lr in today's market.

I have zero complaints thus far. Shoots little groups and light weight. I think one would be hard pressed to find a better suppressed woods 22lr in today's market.
I ordered one today (online), hopefully it shows up at the LGS (FFL) in a few days. I would have ordered direct from the LGS, but lately they have been pretty high on prices compared to online + shipping + transfer fee; they just can't compete...they'll still get the transfer fee, so $35 of easy money for them.

Last edited:
I'm sure you will be happy. The hard part is finding good glass/power and rings that aren't too heavy for the little guy...

I'm going to put my Leupold 3-9x33 EFR with Warne Mountain Tech rings on it. I bought the scope and rings with the thought of trying out the Weatherby Mark XXII, and I mounted it...but, I'm more interested in a light weight woods bolt action than a fancy rifle I would worry about scratching. I'll take the scope and rings off the Weatherby, and put that rifle back in the box...not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Reactions: JFR