• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara HMR Pro and $2500 question?

devildawg2531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2013
USA
I bought a new Bergara HMR Pro in 308 and with Atlas bipod and rear bag the best I am getting is around .7 - 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 168 grain FGMM. I am a little dissapointed honestly as I have a precision AR that will duplicate this. I was really hoping that the Bergara would be a .5 or better... maybe it is with the right ammo. Any suggestions are much appreciated (I don't reload at this point).

Part 2 if the sub .5 MOA bolt gun in 308 or 6.5 CM is the goal what is the best option for this for $2500 and under (not including optics). I was looking at the DD5 Pro and they are guaranteeing .5 or better and it has an MSRP of $2500 so currently this is my front runner when available but maybe a better option is out there. Appreciate guidance on maximizing accuracy for $2500 or less (building my own isn't in the cards). Thanks!

I've owned an HMR Pro and it's a great factory rifle. Mine was in 6 CM and I'd reliably get 1" groups at 300 yards with hand loads. While I won't discount that something could be wrong with your specific rifle, it is far more likely that it's not a good match for that specific ammo or, no offense intended, your fundamentals aren't up to snuff on this rifle yet. If you're getting similar results with a precision AR, it's quite possible that both rifles are out-shooting you and the end result is the same.

Before you go through the time and expense of looking for a replacement (in no particular order):

1) Try substantially different ammo

2) Have someone else who has solid fundamentals try out the rifle

3) Start reloading :)

Reactions: hseII
I bought a new Bergara HMR Pro in 308 and with Atlas bipod and rear bag the best I am getting is around .7 - 1 inch groups at 100 yards with 168 grain FGMM. I am a little dissapointed honestly as I have a precision AR that will duplicate this. I was really hoping that the Bergara would be a .5 or better... maybe it is with the right ammo. Any suggestions are much appreciated (I don't reload at this point).

Part 2 if the sub .5 MOA bolt gun in 308 or 6.5 CM is the goal what is the best option for this for $2500 and under (not including optics). I was looking at the DD5 Pro and they are guaranteeing .5 or better and it has an MSRP of $2500 so currently this is my front runner when available but maybe a better option is out there. Appreciate guidance on maximizing accuracy for $2500 or less (building my own isn't in the cards). Thanks!

I was in a similar position last year. I had only shot and practiced precision shooting with my AR's, and was pretty decent at it. However that did not transfer over to my 6.5 bolt gun when I got it and I've spent this year relearning and honing my fundamentals as taught on this forum and other places as well.

I would first and foremost shoot a different match ammo like @Rocketmandb suggested. While FGMM ammo is very well liked, that doesn't mean its going to shoot lights out in every gun....and honestly may never do better than 3/4 moa in most rifles.

Sell that piece of junk and buy something decent. With a $2500 budget no way would I be buying a factory rifle, especially something from DD.

I’d buy that impact action thats for sale on here for $1200, then get a proof prefit for $450, a TT Special for $200 and you’ve got $650 left for a chassis. That limits your options a little but a KRG bravo is a great chassis for $350, and you may even be able to find a used MPA for that price.

You’ll need an action wrench, torque wrench, and barrel vise but those are all things you really should just have anyway.

Is that the only ammo you have used? It is absolutely capable of better. I have one in 6.5... tried hornady precision hunter, got 0.8 moa. Then tried hornady match, got 0.6. A very fast and effortless load up (less than 20 rounds) got me 0.6 moa with 143gr eld-x. There is more potential to squeeze out of it for sure.

Starting hand loads in mine were average of .3X lowest was a .2. This was with 140 Berger vld and 142 smk. I would suggest trying some different ammo.

Attachments

• C036BF57-7ABA-4A2D-BF75-2DAACE106A2D.jpeg
    C036BF57-7ABA-4A2D-BF75-2DAACE106A2D.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: srdowney
Is that the only ammo you have used? It is absolutely capable of better. I have one in 6.5... tried hornady precision hunter, got 0.8 moa. Then tried hornady match, got 0.6. A very fast and effortless load up (less than 20 rounds) got me 0.6 moa with 143gr eld-x. There is more potential to squeeze out of it for sure.
I shot 180 grain Federal Fusion and it didn't do well with that at all .. 1.5 - 2 inch groups. I shot a lot of 175 FGMM and it was about 1 inch at 100 yards. The 168 grain FGMM has been the best at about 3/4 inch at 100 yards. I shot my Bergara and my friends Savage both with the same 168 FGMM and we both shot better groups with his Savage. His gun and optics are roughly 1/3 to 25% the price of my Bergara and optics (his Savage is legitimately a .5 MOA gun at 100 yards). I'm certainly not an elite shooter but a Marine and years of rifle and pistol shooting, competition and courses.. I really don't believe that I'm causing the issue. Will try some other ammo to see if it likes something else better.

I'm holding faith its the ammo. I know savage though, I have one and it shoots lights out too... at least it did until recently. It is a hunting rifle, so I didn’t feel like changing out the shitty plastic stock when I got it to shoot so good with it on, but I'm finding issues with the action staying torqued and had to shave down the barrel channel a bit after it was no longer free floating. Going to buy a new stock for it now. My dad put a mcmillan on his and it shoots 1 hole groups. It's mind blowing how precise it is with just a good stock on it.

Sell that piece of junk and buy something decent. With a $2500 budget no way would I be buying a factory rifle, especially something from DD.

I’d buy that impact action thats for sale on here for $1200, then get a proof prefit for $450, a TT Special for $200 and you’ve got $650 left for a chassis. That limits your options a little but a KRG bravo is a great chassis for $350, and you may even be able to find a used MPA for that price.

You’ll need an action wrench, torque wrench, and barrel vise but those are all things you really should just have anyway.
Little harsh--Bergara has a good rep--capable of better, but the point about DD is SPOT ON. There are tons of options (hint: search for PRS production RIfle) at that price point--above quoted gets you one of (if not THE) top actions out there. Nothing against DD but they are known for ARs, not precision--until they start producing some mad results let someone else do their test drive.

Your money--go with a proven product/company.

Also 308 is over. 6.5 Creed is the clear choice. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

giphy.gif

Little harsh--Bergara has a good rep--capable of better, but the point about DD is SPOT ON. There are tons of options (hint: search for PRS production RIfle) at that price point--above quoted gets you one of (if not THE) top actions out there. Nothing against DD but they are known for ARs, not precision--until they start producing some mad results let someone else do their test drive.

Your money--go with a proven product/company.

Also 308 is over. 6.5 Creed is the clear choice. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something.

View attachment 7435531
I shoot a .308 because 500 or so is the practical distance I have at the moment and my shorty .308 is good for that. I also like buying up all of the .30 cal bullets from the shooters who moved to a 6.5.

Don't get me wrong, there is no reason to stop shooting what you have.

But if you are buying a new rifle, 6.5.

Plus, with all the practice reading wind with 308, 6.5 will be cake.

I shoot a .308 because 500 or so is the practical distance I have at the moment and my shorty .308 is good for that. I also like buying up all of the .30 cal bullets from the shooters who moved to a 6.5.

There is limited difference between the 308 and 6.5 out to ranges that most people shoot at. The 308 will have slightly higher recoil, which becomes negligible with a decent brake. Is the 6.5 a better round? Objectively, the answer is yes, but for most people the difference won't matter.

I second the trying new ammo. I had that rifle in 6.5 CM and it shot 1/2 to 3/8 with factory Hornady ammo. Accuracy dropped and I cleaned it good with BoreTech and it was back to normal.

Reactions: Newbie2020
How many rounds do you have down the barrel?
Only a couple of boxes, it will tighten up.
If you’ve got 2-300 down it, I’d find the best shooter you know or lock it in a sled. That’ll tell you if it’s the rifle or you.
And yes, try different ammo. Try the 175’s

Take the action out of the stock make sure there is no debris on the action or on the stock, no mold lines/bumps where the action lays.
Put it back together with the rifle in a vertical position pushing the action down into the stock and tighten the action screws going back and forth
between the front and rear screw tightening a little at a time.

Reactions: Stoweit

You have a factory rifle that is consistently sub moa with factory ammo. You should either reset your expectations or start handloading.

If I had $2500 to spare right now, I would look into buying a GAP PPR. Although only available in 6CM and 6GT. I would go for the 6GT.

Reactions: striped1
Do you simply need to get more practice behind it? But most people seem to get pretty good accuracy out of their Bergaras. My HMR averaged about .7" while I had it. Although, I'm sure plenty of people exaggerate/embellish their experiences.

If you have 2.5k to spare buy one of the top tier production rifles but still don't expect any better accuracy if you are just going to try one factory ammo

Check the scope mount- reinstall the scope to be sure it's not the optics. Buy yourself a box of berger ammo or lapua scenar ammo and test it at 100yards for groups.
If the gun did not achieve 0.5 moa with scenars (but only in this case), I would just replace the barrel. The stock is nice, so I would keep it.

Avoiding a DD bolt gun like the plague would be a good idea. Every single one looks like it was machined and assembled by a blind man at 4:45 on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Sharp edges, janky rough bolt throw, rattle cans is all they are IMO.

Something isn’t right. Check the rings and base for proper torque. Pull the action and retorque. Try Hornady ELD X ammo and a few different weights. Those guns shoot fine. Maybe even try a different scope.

Avoiding a DD bolt gun like the plague would be a good idea. Every single one looks like it was machined and assembled by a blind man at 4:45 on a Friday before a holiday weekend. Sharp edges, janky rough bolt throw, rattle cans is all they are IMO.
I would agree with this, wholeheartedly. I'm not impressed with the DD versus a same priced tikka or seekins or other offerings.
I shot a guys I met at a nearby range and even he wasn't really enthused about it.