• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Berger OTM Tactical 300gr 338 Lapua Load data

338macgruber

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2012
Utah, U.S.A.
www.hooliganmedia.com
I have a 27" Shilen Select Match 1-10 twist on a Remington 700 with the Seekins DBM for my setup.

My current load that is working well is: SMK 300gr / Lapua Brass / Federal GM 215M Primer / 78.0gr RL-19 and I have been getting very nice groups at 2675fps (best 3 round group at 100yd has measured .343" in diameter shooting off a DOA Tactical shooting bench)

I just picked up a couple boxes of the Berger OTM Tactical 300gr bullets which have a 0.418 G7 bc (which is much better than the 0.380 G7 bc of the SMK).

I am going to try the same brass/primer/powder load but with the Berger OTM and see how it goes.

Does anyone have any advice and or load data for these Berger OTM 300gr bullets that they are willing to share?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Berger OTM Tactical 300gr 338 Lapua Load data

I've been shooting Berger 338 cal, 300 gr Hybrid Tactical OTM's in my MRAD using Lapua brass. I also use a BORS on top of my Nightforce 5.5-22x56. The guy who does the programming for the BORS worked some data for me & came up with a G-1 BC of .797 as opposed to the .818 on the box. He likes JBM data. I use 89 grains of Retumbo. Some folks use more, but Walt Berger told me that his 300 grain takes up more room, so to start with 84 with 88.5 being max for Retumbo. I rounded up with no signs of pressure problems & may go higher, but haven't pushed it. He doesn't list a recommendation for RL-19. The computer readout is right on to about 600 yds, then starts to shoot high, so raise the BC a touch. BTW, I think you've got the wrong BC on your SMK's. That's probably the G1.

Reactions: Penmaker

Thanks for the heads up on the G1 vs G7 - I edited the post.

Walt emailed me a spreadsheet for the OTM's last night, so I'll try some different loads & share my results.

I ran a ladder test from 86 to 92gr of H1000 out of my Savage FCP 110 recently using 300 Berger OTMs. They all grouped well but max load (92gr) gave me an extreme spread of 5fps and a standard deviation on 2fps, avg velocity of 2735fps out of a 26'' 9 twist COAL 3.70, 35 ft above sea level.

Reactions: Penmaker

3/4 MOA 5 shot group. I pulled the last one I guess, still trying to learn how to tame this beast. Probably 1/2 MOA for the 4 shot group, shoots better than I can at the moment, I need more time behind the gun. All of my groups were very similar even at lower charges of H1000, I was so relieved my gun doesn't like US869 with the 300 Bergers.