• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best “non standard” AR lower recievers?

Which is your preferred implementation?

• LMT Mars-L

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Radian A-DAC

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Ascend Armory matched set

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Knights IWS

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Mod parts for mil spec (PDQ, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LWRCI

• Other (please post!)

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • ADM

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Zev

• Forward Controls

• Total voters

WindstormSCR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2021
Maryland
Been looking at a new AR build, and while the majority of the parts I’ve already sorted out, the lower has been my biggest sticking point. Ideally I’d like a quality ambidextrous lower, but since I don’t have much time with any of the big name ones, I thought it was worth asking for opinions here.

I’d also be interested in hearing about other lowers that may not be full ambi but might have another special feature to put them in contention

Adm and zev should be on that list

Last edited:
Reactions: simonp
Radians are nice and match Pmags awesome. They are stupid expensive and hard to find though.

My vote ADM. especially since they are doing slab sided ones.

I have an ADM with the little squares and it’s a nice lower. It runs well and the lever is easy to get used to.

ADM and the new SilencerCo ambi receivers.

I like lowers that allow you to lock the bolt back while keeping your firing hand in position. ADM and the SilencerCo (corrected) do that. I own them both.

ADM has a really nice funneled mag well too. SiCo has a different profile mag well with funnel as well.

Machining on both is top-notch.

Last edited:
ADM and the new SilencerCo ambi receivers.

I like lowers that allow you to lock the bolt back while keeping your firing hand in position. ADM and the Seekins do that. I own them both.

ADM has a really nice funneled mag well too. SiCo has a different profile mag well with funnel as well.

Machining on both is top-notch.

The Seekins does NOT allow you to lock the bolt back while keeping your firing hand in position (I own one too) unless you're talking about the large frame. Their AR15 lowers are ambi bolt release only.

Radian is probably the best as it doesn’t have any upper interference issues but otherwise Lmt/Lwrc are very nice for bolt lock/malfunction clearing etc and are complete mirror controls…functionally the lowers on Lmt/Lwrc are the same.

If you are in a hurry, why not buy a milspec lower like an Anderson that you can get up and running quickly. Then you can shop at your leisure and find what you are looking for but still be able to shoot. Ambidextrous safeties and magazine releases are plentiful if you need them before you find your dream lower.

San Tan should be on the list, has been one of the best for a LONG time. For commercially available and not crazy expensive, the LMT Mars-L is pretty awesome. SR-15 lower has been tits for a decade but prices have gotten absolutely stupid on them. They should be $800 max.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
The Seekins does NOT allow you to lock the bolt back while keeping your firing hand in position (I own one too) unless you're talking about the large frame. Their AR15 lowers are ambi bolt release only.
I don’t know how that got turned into Seekins when I was talking about the SiCo, but I checked my post and that’s what was there. I was talking about the SilencerCo lower though. I corrected my post to reflect that, since I don’t own a Seekins lower. I do have a Seekins upper on my 22” Grendel though. Sorry about the confusion. It feels like it auto-corrected to Seekins.

Reactions: JS8588
I don’t know how that got turned into Seekins when I was talking about the SiCo, but I checked my post and that’s what was there. I was talking about the SilencerCo lower though. I corrected my post to reflect that, since I don’t own a Seekins lower. I do have a Seekins upper on my 22” Grendel though. Sorry about the confusion. It feels like it auto-corrected to Seekins.
#GunNerdProblems

Having to correct *you* felt unbelievably wrong.

In any case, my favorite ambi lower

With a cmmg ambi mag release and radian talon safety

If you are in a hurry, why not buy a milspec lower like an Anderson that you can get up and running quickly. Then you can shop at your leisure and find what you are looking for but still be able to shoot. Ambidextrous safeties and magazine releases are plentiful if you need them before you find your dream lower.
have several ARs already, this one I wanted to make ambi since the goal is the make a decent "match/loaner/guest" gun for LH or RH shooters and have it be comfortable for either to use.

I like the Radian and have heard good things about the POF Gen4.

My son has the LMT and PMAGs are a really tight fit. Will not drop free.

I have an ADM UIC. It’s nice, I have no real complaints. If you want right handed index finger control of everything it does that well enough. If you are a left hander wanting the “same set of controls experience” right-handers have - it’s not ideal. For a true lefty the ADM solution to release and lock the bolt back is awkward. As a right hander I also don’t see a huge benefit to using my trigger finger over my left hand for releasing the bolt at magazine change. However if you are someone who likes to change the magazine then line up a shot while using your index to drop the bolt - well I’d say you were raised by machine gunners.

If I could do it again I’d go with the LMT MARS-L, LWRC, or KAC KS-1 solution. It’s more of a true ambi experience than the lever provides. I didn’t go LMT the first time due QA/QC issues I kept reading about here the past couple years (people kept posting photos of broken paddles). LWRC’s lower was not available as a stripped option. The KS-1 lower I don’t think existed yet as something for the public to drool over and not be able to buy yet.

I did look hard at the Radian but due to how it functions (the mag release does both mag release and bolt catch raising) I couldn’t figure out how I would lock the bolt back without dropping the magazine first from the right side controls.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned ..

(1) RADIAN
(2) ADM
(3) San Tan
(4) Zev/Mega

I would also highly recommend the PWS AMBI Lower, they're basically identical to the SR15 but have tighter tolerances and the controls are Larger. I can barely fit my thumb without gloves on to operate the Knights SR15 Lower left side mag release.

The PWS has enough room to operate with or without gloves. PWS prices are fair and they also takes care of thier Military and first responders with a very generous discount. The MK1 MOD2 Lower is my go-to for all Recce and Lightweight DMR builds.

Screenshot_20231030_164239_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I voted for ADM above, but I think it depends on exactly what you want out of the rifle. Like others have pointed out, something like the LMT or LWRC gets you closest to a mirrored ambi which would make for a better loaner gun.

I have both an ADM and an AXTS (Radian before they were cool) and they each have pros and cons. To make a long story short, the Radian probably has slightly better fit and finish and more polish in things like the spring loaded receiver tensioning plunger, but the ADM has the better control scheme.