• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best 1911 for under $1000

Re: Best 1911 for under $1000

Look at the Ruger as well. Personally I hate the engraving on the side, but as far as functionality and quality goes, they seem to be pretty good for the money. My buddy has one and he likes it a lot, though likes my Dan Wesson better
smile.gif

So the STI Spartan it is. The used market around me has been lack luster at best the last year or so. Things have been beaten to shit or just outrageously over priced. I was split between the Spartan and the Range Officer, leaning more towards the Springfield untill I experienced some really shitty customer service at used to be one of my go-to shops. I took this as a sign and moved on to the next shop where I encountered the complete opposite. I ran into a old friend behind the counter and after discussing what I was looking for he told me that he personally owned a Spartan and without me asking he offered it up to try and see what I thought. I was not disappointed, the pistol shot very well I ran 50 rounds through it and that sold me. So they had one left in stock and now I own it. Well under my budget which leaves me cash to change a few things that I would have had to wait on had I spent all my cash on the pistol alone. Thanks for the insight everyone
Donald

All this arguing about 1911's. There are so many options out there that you can start with a frame and build the one that you really want, and you can spend your money over time and build exactly what you want a get a really good pistol.

1911's are a very personal weapon. You need to do your homework and decide what is important to you and what isnt. After you come up with a list of minimum requirements you then seek out the manufacturer that builds that pistol. If that pistol is out of your price range you can make the decision to settle for a lesser weapon or save your pennies and buy the gun that you will always want. In the big picture spending a $1000 on a gun or $2500 is a negligible difference compared to the literal buckets of money you will spend on ammo over the life of the gun. The 1911 is a design that was invented before the advent of the modern production techniques we now use to manufacture weapons. It was built by craftsmen, gunsmiths, because that's how it was done back then. The dated design does not lend itself AS WELL to the modern way of doing things. This is why the $2000 plus dollar 1911 exists. These pistols combine the best of both modern processes and good old school gunsmithing, by hand (an expensive and time consuming process) The sub $1000 1911 market is a hit or miss world, the pistols recieve very little hand fitting and use a lower quality parts list and as a result end up being less reliable than a modern combat pistol design. These things may only matter to the person who will carry a 1911 into harms way, a dedicated range pistol need not function reliably 100 percent of the time. This opens the door to a few pistols that I feel are a good deal at their price point.

Some basics I feel are important in a 1911:

-made in America (this can be much harder to decipher than you think)

-forged frame and slide (much stronger than cast)

-all tool steel internals (m.i.m. parts are fine but not the best)

-standard modernized features (lowered and flared ejection port, dovetail sights, beavertail grip safty ect... all have become standards for a functional reason, so unless buying the 1911 for nostalgia alone I would recommend these features.)

-tight barrel lock up (this is much more critical than frame to slide tightness, which is almost purely done for aesthetics.)

That said, personal experience has taught me:

-that Springfield makes some decent pistols around a grand and has good customer service

-the litle known Doublestar 1911 has an impressive parts list and performed well

-Kimber will never get a dime from me, nor will Para or Taurus

-cheap 1911's are a gateway drug to semi and full custom, bank account draining, divorce causing, 1911's....

KIMBER-
I have one of those DREADED kimber's a target 2 and i have put about 3,000 rounds through it I have never had one jam or any other mechanical problem with it and it is an accurate gun. That being said I got it in a trade because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. The barrel is rusted and it does not like certain mags. Because I have had no problem with it. I plan on keeping it and having work done to it. I guess I just got lucky with it. (I basically paid SHIPPING FOR THIS GUN)

SPRINGFIELD-
You rely cant go wrong. they are well made guns I have a few and have never had one complaint about any of them. I had one I paid $500 for new the cheapest as far as money gos That I have bought. I purchased it as a beat around that thing is beat up now but still fires every time. not the most accurate. but it was $500

COLT-
I have, and you can buy classic colts. They are well made and my favorite. I have never had a bad experience with them..I wont buy a new one because of the anti gun thing but i have no problem with the classic colts.

SIG-
I dont know any thing about them but I want one

There area LOT more 1911's in 10mm bro.

*Dan Wesson
*Springfield Omega & Linkless
*Ed Brown
*Nighthawk Custom
*Colt Delta Elite (both gen's suck)
*Fusion (was owned by Dan Wesson)
*Rock Island just came out with one. Friend got one and sold it in 2 days.junk

And consider this...There are about 10 different manufacturer's out there that make 10mm drop in barrels for 1911's, so just pick one. Or get one with a strong frame and get a .460 Rowland conversion for $299 and you have close to a .44 Magnum as far as muzzle energy & velocity. .40 Super is awesome too.

I've owned just about every variety of 1911s over the years from basic, no frills up to fully customized and I have to say that in this price range I've been very impressed with the Remington Enhanced R1. So far, I've had two friends who have bought this gun and both shoot the lights out for a factory gun. In addition, everything feels right and both have been completely reliable as far as I can see. I might have to get one just to own one.

No Sig love?

Sigs run ~$900-$1100 new, and are fabulous. However, their resale is shit, so sweet used ones run ~$700-$800. Helluva 1911 for that.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's not a "purist" gun with the external extractor but I really couldn't care less about that. I want it 100% functional and I prefer the option to drop one in the pipe and close the slide without worrying about screwing up something.

Springfield RO. Good price and a great starting point (made in USA and forged slide/frame) should one decide to trick it out in the future.

PS My Kimber Warrior is USA made and has a forged slide and frame. I admit it had 3 FTF in the first 100 rounds. Thought I'd made a mistake with the purchase. Approximately 700 rounds down the pipe later, zero FTF. One of my favorites now.

I have a Rock Island that I payed 450 for put a hogue grip and an extended slide release. I would like to do a trigger job, and I have the GI sights and would like to add a set of snow balls to it but i dont have the money to have someone to notch them out and put them in correctly. I shoot Blazers which are cheap as crap out of it and have had no problem. I have also cast lead bullets and had no problem out of them. But I really like it and would recommend it to anyone. Good luck

The first 45 I ever bought was a S&W 1911. It is actually one of the first runs. love the gun. I got it used after someone bought it ran one box of ammo trough it and then traded it in as he didn't like it. I only have had one malfunction within 2000 rounds. I had to have the ejector fixed as it came loose and was rubbing on the slide. The other 45 I had until it was stolen last September was a Kimber Ultra CDP II. The Kimber was also one of the early runs and I used to carry it during the summer here in MN. It performed flawlessly but it didn't like some ammo. Also you had to make sure it was lubed correctly. Since it was stolen I have shot a few of the new Kimbers and they do not feel the same almost cheap compared to what I had. If I were you I would look for a quality used S&W 1911 it was under $1000 and it has never let me down. I carry it in the winter and use it as backup when deer hunting. The only downside is it is heavy and you know it is there due to the stainless slide and frame.

I have to agree with texas, Colt purposely changed their pin diameters in their AR's so they couldn't be used with other uppers. Have to be about the most un-american gun company. I would never support their products no matter how good.

Just bought my first 1911, and I'm hooked. JMB got it right. Easy to shoot well. Springfield Armory range officer.

At just under 1K I picked up a Sig TacticalOperations model. Shoots great, functions flawlessly. I just had to get over that external extractor.

I've got a taurus ss 1911. I love everything about how it shoots and feels. If I could just hide the fact that its got the taurus name plastered on the side I'd be head over heels in love.

Look at an STI Ranger or Trojan, they have a Series 70 trigger if that is something you are looking for. A friend has the Traditional Two Tone Sig 1911, it also shoots well.

I've got a Kimber Royal II and an Eclipse Custom II that I like alot both were under $1000, my brother just started using a Sig Tac Ops for his duty carry and he likes it alot, he used to carry a Kimber also but I forget the model. For the record I shot the Sig and it feels alot better in my hand and shoots very nice, also it has a light rail on it. Before his LE discount the dealer he went through had it listed for $987.00 and it comes with 4 mags, I think I just talked myself back into adding one of these to my collection.

I own a Springfield Loaded Target 1911 and it's been a damn fine 1911. I initially wanted a Kimber TLE/RLII but upon handling the Springfield, I knew exactly what I wanted and brought it home with me.

997913_02_springfield_1911_loaded_target_640.jpg

IMAG0615.jpg

Last edited:
I own a Springfield Loaded Target 1911 and it's been a damn fine 1911. I initially wanted a Kimber TLE/RLII but upon handling the Springfield, I knew exactly what I wanted and brought it home with me.

IMAG0615.jpg

Very nice 1911.

Id go with springfield just cuz ive been with them for quite some time and i vouch for their product. Been through 10+ of their guns and no problem so far. Customer serivce has been great too so if you need anything, you are set!

IMAG0615.jpg

I love this model, springfield stopped making them already. Wish they still offer that finish hahaha.

I HAD a Kimber CII as my first 1911 and junked it. Picked up a SA Loaded and SA MC Operator and hands down the best guns I have ever owned. If I was to pick up another, I would go SIG.

IMAG0615.jpg

That's what I have(only with plain stainless finish) and I'm very happy with mine. My vote is for the Springfield Loaded Target.