• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best action under $1000

I think he's asking about actual high-quality, non-Poors actions... Salvage is trash...I'd take one of my stock 700's over a Savage any day of the week. 😂
exactly. just like i wouldnt get a factory rem 700 action either

Reactions: Braunie1
exactly. just like i wouldnt get a factory rem 700 action either
I have safes full of custom 700's from back in the day (newest ones were bought/built like 10 years ago), and they all shoot lights-out, but with the prices of what a damn 700 action costs now + blueprinting & smith fees, you can go buy TWO Aero Solus actions on sale for under $600 each, buy a barrel vise, an action wrench, and build 2 substantially nicer rifles at home with prefits... It's a no-brainer.

I'm really happy to see where the market it heading with the DIY bolt guns starting to finally be pushed forefront. I hate that for gunsmiths, because their business is going to shrink substantially, but for folks like me who love to build guns, it's therapeutic, and a sense of pride building something precise yourself.

So here in the Houston area there's a smith named Omar Alonzo and he has the reamer im wanting for this specific rifle, Manson/Tubb Spec 6xc(for peterson brass, not alpha) because I have some dies from David from 3-4 years ago. So at least I can support my local smith hahaha

I had a thread as well about barrels and opened up a can of worms on that whether i should get everything I want and resort to a button blank because I can get it sooner or make some minor changes and pick up a cut rifle that may not be everything I want in terms of specs.

I have safes full of custom 700's from back in the day (newest ones were bought/built like 10 years ago), and they all shoot lights-out, but with the prices of what a damn 700 action costs now + blueprinting & smith fees, you can go buy TWO Aero Solus actions on sale for under $600 each, buy a barrel vise, an action wrench, and build 2 substantially nicer rifles at home with prefits... It's a no-brainer.

I'm really happy to see where the market it heading with the DIY bolt guns starting to finally be pushed forefront. I hate that for gunsmiths, because their business is going to shrink substantially, but for folks like me who love to build guns, it's therapeutic, and a sense of pride building something precise yourself.
I never went custom before because I didn't want to have to send my rifle out for 6 months to get all the work done. Being able to buy a sub 1k action and call a multitude of gunsmiths to get a premium barrel without them ever seeing my action is a game changer.

Reactions: PappyM3 and lash
I never went custom before because I didn't want to have to send my rifle out for 6 months to get all the work done. Being able to buy a sub 1k action and call a multitude of gunsmiths to get a premium barrel without them ever seeing my action is a game changer.
Luckily, I've had 2 of the best gunsmiths in the southeast living in my state within 1.5 hour drive from me my whole life, so drop-off and pickup, quick turnaround times and no shipping. First custom I built was 22 years ago, and it was a shot-out Model 7 .22-250 that I got in trade, and the barrel turned out to be toasted, so I had it blueprinted and built into a .308 Win. It was built by the legendary Jimmy McCullough (McCullough Custom Rifles). Unfortunately, that rifle got stolen in 2008, and I've never seen it since, and he's long retired so, I'll never have another one. Still pissed about that one getting stolen...And my brand new 28" Beretta Xtrema2 12ga. in full Max4HD camo and the Kick-Off system. Only got to put 100 shells through it, before it was stolen (same incident as the other 3 guns). I've replaced the other 2 that were stolen with identical versions, so no harm-no foul thanks to getting something (insignificant) from the insurance company, after they fucked me on the value of them. Nothing like kicking a man when he's down... 🙄

Reactions: PRSDietitian
Luckily, I've had 2 of the best gunsmiths in the southeast living in my state within 1.5 hour drive from me my whole life, so drop-off and pickup, quick turnaround times and no shipping. First custom I built was 22 years ago, and it was a shot-out Model 7 .22-250 that I got in trade, and the barrel turned out to be toasted, so I had it blueprinted and built into a .308 Win. It was built by the legendary Jimmy McCullough (McCullough Custom Rifles). Unfortunately, that rifle got stolen in 2008, and I've never seen it since, and he's long retired so, I'll never have another one. Still pissed about that one getting stolen...And my brand new 28" Beretta Xtrema2 12ga. in full Max4HD camo and the Kick-Off system. Only got to put 100 shells through it, before it was stolen (same incident as the other 3 guns). I've replaced the other 2 that were stolen with identical versions, so no harm-no foul thanks to getting something (insignificant) from the insurance company, after they fucked me on the value of them. Nothing like kicking a man when he's down... 🙄
Wait...you're om alabama?? Was the other Tooter Meridith?

Wait...you're om alabama?? Was the other Tooter Meridith?
Sure am. Nope, the other is Sammy Stroh. But, I had forgotten about Tooter. Sammy has been building all my guns since Jimmy retired the first time like 15 years ago. When I called Jimmy to build another one after it got stolen, he told me had retired the year before, but recommended I use Sammy, and gave me his number. I had known Sammy from the gun store days, but had never used him prior-to. He does phenomenal work with fast turn-arounds. He lives in the town I work in, which is about an hour commute from where I live, so I can drop shit off in the early mornings on my way to work and pick it up on my way home. 👍🏼

Sure am. Nope, the other is Sammy Stroh. But, I had forgotten about Tooter. Sammy has been building all my guns since Jimmy retired the first time like 15 years ago. 👍🏼
Damn. I moved to East texas from Huntsville. If I still lived there, I'd have Tooter chamber my barrel. Erik Cortina recommended Omar Alonzo over here and many others on this forum said the same. Small world.

Reactions: FuhQ
Damn. I moved to East texas from Huntsville. If I still lived there, I'd have Tooter chamber my barrel. Erik Cortina recommended Omar Alonzo over here and many others on this forum said the same. Small world.
Not a fan of Cortina for personal reasons, but as far as trigger-monkeys go, he can shoot...

Not a fan of Cortina for personal reasons, but as far as trigger-monkeys go, he can shoot...
I respect him as a shooter. I just think Tuners are BS lol. So if he says X smith will do a phenomenal job, I'll definitely listen.

I respect him as a shooter. I just think Tuners are BS lol. So if he says X smith will do a phenomenal job, I'll definitely listen.
Tuners are complete bullshit, so is the Boss System on Brownings...They're all snake-oil. But convincing nut-swingers who hang on these people's every word is like talking to a brick wall, because I'm not famous, and those salesmen are... It's always, "They've got trophies, why should I believe you?" 🙄 Eventually it's like, go ahead and waste your money bro, but if it subconsciously makes you THINK you can shoot better, go for it. The power of make-believe is truly incredible. 😂

Tuners are complete bullshit, so is the Boss System on Brownings...They're all snake-oil. But convincing nut-swingers who hang on these people's every word is like talking to a brick wall, because I'm not famous, and those salesmen are... It's always, "They've got trophies, why should I believe you?" 🙄
you never see folks loading their own ammo and winning in PRS matches using them. Most F-class and benchrest guys are on the older/fudd side of the spectrum and maybe are entrenched in their beliefs and won't accept when they're challenged. That's how I see tuners. Kinda like older shooters thinking red dots on pistols are stupid

Just get a CDG.

If you’re even slightly tempted by getting an Impact - just get a LP Fuzion. It’s like the same thing just better.
heard that about the LP. If I went for a 1400+ action it'd be between a Fuzion, a terminus zeus or a BAT Hammerhead

Another vote for the Origin. I've never felt as though it was holding me back in PRS. I still suck, but that's another discussion. lol! Paul @ Evolved Ballistics will give you a decent military discount on an Origin. I'm not affiliated, but simply a happy customer of his.

Not sure if my origin was a one off but it was terrible at single feeding and would tear up my brass case rims and had a really sharp/stiff close. Plus I use the “wheeler” method of finding the lands when seating new bullies to start load development because it is fast and simple, but never got real good at it since the origin bolt doesnt drop freely without friction. Same with sizing the brass too.
Other than that I really liked it but I single feed 99% of the time when I’m not shooting PRS so I didn’t really enjoy it.
Just my experience though…

Bergara is the real deal. I'd say B-14 and the Tikka T3x are some of the best bolt guns for the money right now.

Everyone raves about how an action "feels" which aside from creaming your pants everytime you sloooowly operate the action, doesn't exactly equate to better groups.
That in mind, the Solus @ $650 is hard to eff with.

Everyone raves about how an action "feels" which aside from creaming your pants everytime you sloooowly operate the action, doesn't exactly equate to better groups.
That in mind, the Solus @ $650 is hard to eff with.

I’m a big believer that all the action has to do is get a round from the mag to the chamber, and back out again. If it can’t do that without feeling like a clunky pos then what’s the point.

Reactions: kthomas
Check out kelbly nanook or atlas, or the atlas lite if you don't want an integral rail. Order from brownells and use a promo code....I got a nanook awhile back for under $1200

Yes you can. I did it twice this past weekend at a match where I needed more than my 12 round mag.
Well, I was interested in the several responses that I got yesterday, telling me it was fine to single feed rounds in an origin, or any Zermatt action.
I got on the website last nite and sent them a question about it and I got a response around 6:30 am central time.
It was confirmed by Ray himself that it is totally acceptable to single feed.
So, now I know, and knowing is half the battle!!! Go Joe's!

Reactions: lash and Rob01
Doesn’t the CDG also have a swappable bolt face?
Yes, very easy to swap out bolt heads without any tools. It can be done on the range bench if you so desire, though there are small parts that could get lost.

And single feed is a breeze with my LA CDG, I’m even getting a sled for it.

What was clunky about it? There is a small hitch when first closing the bolt but can only be noticed when finger banging it in slow motion and not when using it.

Did they fix the feel of the solus? I tried a friend rifle, and that thing felt really clunky. I was not a fan.
I have a Solus from the end of the year sale. It's definitely not gritty, but does have a bunch of cock on close / poor trigger interface.
I had a 2 stage Diamond that if you back off the springs too much, would not hold the sear on two different Defiance actions. When put on Solus, you could back the screws all the way off and it still had heavy- ish pull and lots of creep. I'm beginning to believe it's dragging enough to cause ignition variations. I brought this to Aeros attention through their chat line, which seemed at the time the only way to contact them. It didn't get resolved and they seemed pretty indifferent about the situation. I also have a early CDG. To me, there is no comparison when both are $900- ish. If you're good at fitting/timing triggers, I think the Solus is a steal at $650. Having said that, I own the last one I ever will. I do plan on another ( smooth bolt this time) CDG. My T3 is great, but they seem to be getting priced out of the good deal category. I have no experience w Origin, but it seems they sell a ton of 'em.

Last edited:
An interesting, but never mentioned product is the Weatherby 307 action, they are 750 bucks, appear to have a pinned recoil lug, it has a side bolt release and is a 700 footprint with 700 tenon.

I’m a big believer that all the action has to do is get a round from the mag to the chamber, and back out again. If it can’t do that without feeling like a clunky pos then what’s the point.
Everyone talks shit about the Solus, but few have ever messed with a “broken-in” Solus. Mine was very stiff new, but a few hundred dry-runs, and some Aeroshell 33 on the lugs and raceways, and it’s VERY smooth for a $650 action.

Reactions: Braunie1
So, you have first hand experience with the 307 action?
Do you know who makes the actions for them? (I do not)
No, But I have lots of first-hand experience with the much more expensive Mark-V actions and rifles that are grossly overpriced for the shit quality of the final product that you get. And for the turd on top of the shitcake, Weatherby’s horrific customer service experiences that I’ve personally had, and the fact they think they’re perfect and incapable of making mistakes and letting lemons get through QC, and that it MUST be the customer’s fault their guns have actual manufacturing defects… 🙄🙄🙄

I literally had a Weatherby CS rep (without ever looking at my gun…Because I never sent it to them after this convo) tell me that they would for sure NOT honor my new MK-V AccuMark rifle’s lifetime warranty for the defective barrel they put on my gun brand new (less than 100 rounds down the barrel at the time of issue), and that I was a liar, because they don’t make mistakes or build lemons. And then he hung up the phone on me.

At about 75 rounds in on a brand new rifle, the barrel started caving in and developed over 10 tight spots in the bore, and it went from a 3/4 MOA rifle, to a 4 MOA rifle like snapping your fingers. Had my smith borescope it, and he said it was the ugliest rifling he’d ever seen.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PappyM3
The Origin is not an old CRF. The boltface is made to be able to single feed. Yours will do it too.
Yep, not the same claw extractor like a Mauser, win70, or even a nucleus. Origin uses that sliding extractor plate that is tensioned by a ball detent and spring, just like a savage, but better fir and materials.

Reactions: Rob01

Still need quality smith's to make prefits, they just don't need the action and customers won't be out their rifle while a barrel is being spun up. In all honesty, prefit approach is better in most all regards. Smith doesn't have alot of customers actions around to log in and customers don't have to ship serialized parts and hope they don't get lost in transit. I really can't think of 1 tangible negative.

Last edited:
I have a Solus from the end of the year sale. It's definitely not gritty, but does have a bunch of cock on close / poor trigger interface.
I had a 2 stage Diamond that if you back off the springs too much, would not hold the sear on two different Defiance actions. When put on Solus, you could back the screws all the way off and it still had heavy- ish pull and lots of creep. I'm beginning to believe it's dragging enough to cause ignition variations. I brought this to Aeros attention through their chat line, which seemed at the time the only way to contact them. It didn't get resolved and they seemed pretty indifferent about the situation. I also have a early CDG. To me, there is no comparison when both are $900- ish. If you're good at fitting/timing triggers, I think the Solus is a steal at $650. Having said that, I own the last one I ever will. I do plan on another ( smooth bolt this time) CDG. My T3 is great, but they seem to be getting priced out of the good deal category. I have no experience w Origin, but it seems they sell a ton of 'em.
I've got a solus coming will find out about trigger issue, if any. I've got a bix tacsport pro x 2 stage with low and med top sear. Fixing cock on close is easy, had to fix 2 or 3 origins that had 25-40 thou cock on close issues.

Reactions: lash
I've got a solus coming will find out about trigger issue, if any. I've got a bix tacsport pro x 2 stage with low and med top sear. Fixing cock on close is easy, had to fix 2 or 3 origins that had 25-40 thou cock on close issues.
I have a BnA tsp 2 stg on there now. Medium sear. It feels better than the TT, but still feels off. I haven't fiddled w sear adjustment because it normally lives on my 6cm where it is the best feeling trigger setup I've had.

Reactions: 6brshooter
The cock on close would be an easy fix on a solus if they offered plus or minus trigger location trigger hanger. Zermatt did offer different cocking pieces for a simple no-file fix.

Reactions: lash and FuhQ
The cock on close would be an easy fix on a solus if they offered plus or minus trigger location trigger hanger. Zermatt did offer different cocking pieces for a simple no-file fix.
That was the first thing I inquired about in chat assistant. A quick and polite " no" . There wasn't any follow up on the sear height and cock on close. I pretty much realized my position at that point.

Reactions: 6brshooter
wouldn't the CDG adjustable trigger hanger combined with the TSP X sears fix that issue entirely?

No, But I have lots of first-hand experience with the much more expensive Mark-V actions and rifles that are grossly overpriced for the shit quality of the final product that you get. And for the turd on top of the shitcake, Weatherby’s horrific customer service experiences that I’ve personally had, and the fact they think they’re perfect and incapable of making mistakes and letting lemons get through QC, and that it MUST be the customer’s fault their guns have actual manufacturing defects… 🙄🙄🙄

I literally had a Weatherby CS rep (without ever looking at my gun…Because I never sent it to them after this convo) tell me that they would for sure NOT honor my new MK-V AccuMark rifle’s lifetime warranty for the defective barrel they put on my gun brand new (less than 100 rounds down the barrel at the time of issue), and that I was a liar, because they don’t make mistakes or build lemons. And then he hung up the phone on me.

At about 75 rounds in on a brand new rifle, the barrel started caving in and developed over 10 tight spots in the bore, and it went from a 3/4 MOA rifle, to a 4 MOA rifle like snapping your fingers. Had my smith borescope it, and he said it was the ugliest rifling he’d ever seen.
What was wrong with the action itself?

Can you get shouldered prefit barrels for it? If not then it's an instant non starter.
Why, is a gunsmith unable to thread for standard remington actions nowadays?
It may be a non-starter for YOU, but not everyone feels that way.
My barrel for my origin action was threaded, chambered and installed by a gunsmith.

Reactions: Baron23
It doesn't matter for me, because i don't know any prefit manufacturers with my reamer anyway. It'll be quicker and easier to take it to one of the smiths in my area near houston

I believe he was ref to the fact you can pretty much installe the barrel yourself. Far as I know if you pay a gunsmith enough they will do anything ( within reason)

Reactions: Modoc and FuhQ
I believe he was ref to the fact you can pretty much installe the barrel yourself. Far as I know if you pay a gunsmith enough they will do anything ( within reason)
oh i'll agree with that. in general, i think an action with prefit capabilities is ideal. especially if you dont need to send your action in