• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best action under $1000

Why, is a gunsmith unable to thread for standard remington actions nowadays?
It may be a non-starter for YOU, but not everyone feels that way.
My barrel for my origin action was threaded, chambered and installed by a gunsmith.

Well maybe you have a smith in your backyard but with the shipping issues now with firearms and the need to ship an action or barreled action to get barrled/rebarreled it's not worth it anymore especially for a match rifle. I can order a barrel and have it there and swap it at home when my last one dies. I do not want to be shipping and waiting. In 2024 buying an action that doesn't accept shouldered prefit barrels is not something I would ever recommend.

It doesn't matter for me, because i don't know any prefit manufacturers with my reamer anyway. It'll be quicker and easier to take it to one of the smiths in my area near houston

What's special about your reamer?

What's special about your reamer?
because i have tubb spec 6xc dies and most have the 6xc II reamer. i also have peterson brass and the 6xc II reamer is better for alpha brass.
Just picking back up from where i left off 5+ years ago. Ideally i want the manson/tubb spec reamer and luckily a smith local to me has one so im good regardless.

And I can’t speak to weatherby, but the money they want for them, or a Remington or Savage and you get them blueprinted your in origin world and I do know they are better then Savage and Rem .

Reactions: FuhQ
because i have tubb spec 6xc dies and most have the 6xc II reamer. i also have peterson brass and the 6xc II reamer is better for alpha brass.
Just picking back up from where i left off 5+ years ago. Ideally i want the manson/tubb spec reamer and luckily a smith local to me has one so im good regardless.

You can always send the reamer to a smith to have him use to make a prefit and then ship it back to you. No need to send the whole action. If you have a smith local then consider yourself one of the lucky ones.

Reactions: lash
I live near houston and apparently there's like 5 good smiths in a 100 mile radius that i didnt know about. If I had the reamer on hand, i'd take whoever could chamber one the fastest for sure! Tbh depending on circumstances i may have one ordered and on hand. always nice to have a barrel chambered with a fresh reamer

Reactions: lash
Wish I had a smith local that does rifle work. The 2 with 2 hrs of me either won’t pick up the phone or say things like “yeah I really don’t do that” when I asked about having a Remington barrel cut back and re-chambered

And I can’t speak to weatherby, but the money they want for them, or a Remington or Savage and you get them blueprinted your in origin world and I do know they are better then Savage and Rem .
I'm not recommending them, but they are "only" 750, if they are having them made by a known commodity, they likely don't need to be trued.

For example, the Nosler M21 action is made by mack bros. (they also made the Tempest action for GAP).

Reactions: PRSDietitian
I'm not recommending them, but they are "only" 750, if they are having them made by a known commodity, they likely don't need to be trued.

For example, the Nosler M21 action is made by mack bros. (they also made the Tempest action for GAP).
And 775 for the evo 2. 725 if you’re a vet. Fantastic deal

And for $900 you get an Origin that can take shouldered prefits and change bolt faces. The extra $150 will be saved in smith work right off the bat. For $1150 you get a barreled action from PVA that uses an action that can take shouldered prefits and bolt face changes. $750 to me for a Weatherby action is throwing away good money.

Reactions: FuhQ
Never exposed to Mac Bros , I know Crownridge was using them, but I like the fact I can do my own barrel swaps with my Origins …. I agree with Rob $1150 is a good deal. But I also use barrel nuts and Savage style pre-fits so I try to go on the cheaper side

Last edited:
Are the Origins aw mag compatible?

No. AICS only.

And for $900 you get an Origin that can take shouldered prefits and change bolt faces. The extra $150 will be saved in smith work right off the bat. For $1150 you get a barreled action from PVA that uses an action that can take shouldered prefits and bolt face changes. $750 to me for a Weatherby action is throwing away good money.
Blah blah blah.
You can use a Rem-age barrel and do your own barrel swaps with the 307 and have minimum headspace guaranteed.
And yes, I would recommend the pva barreled action, but, since we are addressing the OP requirements, he isn't interested in prefits.
I have an origin, I'm not a hater.

Blah blah blah.
You can use a Rem-age barrel and do your own barrel swaps with the 307 and have minimum headspace guaranteed.
And yes, I would recommend the pva barreled action, but, since we are addressing the OP requirements, he isn't interested in prefits.
I have an origin, I'm not a hater.
LOL You can blah blah blah all you like but still doesn't make a little known factory action that you have to remage a better buy for a small $150 less.

And he thinks he isn't interested in prefits. When he gets into this and has to buy another action to use them he will see why actions that can take them are being pressed so hard here now to try and save him money in the long run.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
LOL You can blah blah blah all you like but still doesn't make a little known factory action that you have to remage a better buy for a small $150 less.

And he thinks he isn't interested in prefits. When he gets into this and has to buy another action to use them he will see why actions that can take them are being pressed so hard here now to try and save him money in the long run.
Whatever.
I bought into the swapable bolt head, after buying one, I'll likely never buy another bolt head for it.
It's not worth the hassle.
As far as shouldered prefits you could just buy a short chambered barrel for any common action and finish it at the house and save money that way.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and Rob01
Whatever.
I bought into the swapable bolt head, after buying one, I'll likely never buy another bolt head for it.
It's not worth the hassle.
As far as shouldered prefits you could just buy a short chambered barrel for any common action and finish it at the house and save money that way.

You don't have to swap the bolt head but you can easily swap barrels with the same bolt head. I have three boltheads I use for a .223, 6mm ARC and all my .308 sized cases. Easily swapped. Funny you call swapping the bolt head a hassle but want to finish chamber rifles and set headspace at home on barrels. LOL Yeah that's much easier than buying it ready to screw on. LOL

You don't have to swap the bolt head but you can easily swap barrels with the same bolt head. I have three boltheads I use for a .223, 6mm ARC and all my .308 sized cases. Easily swapped. Funny you call swapping the bolt head a hassle but want to finish chamber rifles and set headspace at home on barrels. LOL Yeah that's much easier than buying it ready to screw on. LOL
It's not just the bolt head, I'd just build another rifle. If your pulling the barrel off and installing a new one, finishing the chamber doesn't take that long.
Just yanking your chain in good fun.
You seem very passionate about increasing zermatt sales.
Personally, I'm not interested in pre-fits.
My smith was impressed with the machining and finish of the origin.

It's not just the bolt head, I'd just build another rifle. If your pulling the barrel off and installing a new one, finishing the chamber doesn't take that long.
Just yanking your chain in good fun.
You seem very passionate about increasing zermatt sales.
Personally, I'm not interested in pre-fits.
My smith was impressed with the machining and finish of the origin.

LOL Well if you have that skill set but my skill set is installing a new barrel and not having to chamber. ;)

And I don't care about Zermatt sales but being a cheap bastard and wanting to get the most for my money they had a good product to recommend but if I was buying now you can get the same pros and a cheaper barrel by buying the Solus barreled action from PVA. I'd probably go that route.

LOL Well if you have that skill set but my skill set is installing a new barrel and not having to chamber. ;)

And I don't care about Zermatt sales but being a cheap bastard and wanting to get the most for my money they had a good product to recommend but if I was buying now you can get the same pros and a cheaper barrel by buying the Solus barreled action from PVA. I'd probably go that route.
Well, if you're OK with less than optimal headspace...
I think we may have derailed this thread just a bit.🤣🤣

Well, if you're OK with less than optimal headspace...
I think we may have derailed this thread just a bit.🤣🤣

It's funny but my headspace is set perfectly on all my prefits. I have two 6 Creedmoor barrels from PVA and they are the exact same. They were done about 6 months apart. Those machines are pretty good now. Maybe if it's a smith with a hand run machine in his garage they might be less than optimal but not with someone using modern machinery.

It's funny but my headspace is set perfectly on all my prefits. I have two 6 Creedmoor barrels from PVA and they are the exact same. They were done about 6 months apart. Those machines are pretty good now. Maybe if it's a smith with a hand run machine in his garage they might be less than optimal but not with someone using modern machinery.
You're right. Actions and barrels done on cnc machines are incredibly well machined with very small variations that are mostly the result of tool wear.
I'm willing to bet the 307 action is cnc machined and edm cut with small tolerance ranges.🤭
I really only brought them up because no one talks about them. I'm curious how well they are made, but then again, there is the solus which can frequently be had for less.
Times have never been better in regards choice in rifles/actions and really good entry level optics.

Reactions: lash and Rob01