• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best 2-10ish scope

Tyler6.8

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2021
Michigan
I think I have narrowed down my optic choice for my new AR10 to something in the realm of the 2-10 range. My primary use will be hunting and paper targets from 0-200 and occasionally steel out to 600. I don’t participate in any matches or competitions just fun on the weekends with buddies.

i want something that is bombproof, has bright illumination, and great glass. Also a usable reticle at the bottom end for close shots but not too thick that it obscures the target at the top end.

let me know what you guys think would fit these requirements the best.

Hearing decent things about the Trijicon Credo. The NXS 2.5-10x42 would be a great choice as well.

Reactions: Moose
Have you looked at the new Athlon Ares ETR 1-10x24?
The Ares ETR First Focal Plane rifle scope is loaded with features that will allow you to take your long range shooting to another level. Features: Extra-Low Dispersion Glass, FFP, Advanced Fully Multi-Coated, True Zero Stop, Locking Windage Turret, Illuminated Reticle, 34mm Tube, 10MIL/25MOA Travel-Per-Rotation Turrets.

The Ares ETR 1-10×24, the ultimate LPVO (low power variable optic) at an unbeatable price. Designed equally for expedient close-range engagements and precise long range shots. This 10x magnification range provides fast target acquisition and a wide field of view. The Ares ETR’s extraordinary versatility creates an exceptional option for any DMR (designated marksman rifle) setup. Locking turrets and a precision zero stop combined give any modern marksman peace of mind when they take to the woods. Regardless of terrain or species, the big game hunter will always be ready.

This Ares ETR 1-10×24 Model has ATMR3 first focal plane illuminated MIL reticle in it.

Magnification1-10
Objective Lens Diameter24 mm
Reticle ATMR2 FFP IR MIL, Glass Etched
Surface FinishMatte
Lens CoatingAdvanced Fully Multi-Coated
Extra CoatingXtra Protective Coating
Tube MaterialAircraft Grade Aluminium
Tube Diameter34 mm
Eye Relief3.7"
Field of View @100 yards117.3-11.7 ft
Click Value0.1 MIL
Adjustment range per rotation10 MIL
Total Elevation Adjustment29 MIL
Total Windage Adjustment25 MIL
Turret StyleLocking Elevation/Capped Windaget
Parallax Adjustment100 Yards
Purging MaterialArgon
Length10"
Weight26.9 oz

UHD GlassExtra-Low Dispersion glass significantly reduces chromatic aberration giving you an utmost bright and sharp image with true color reproduction.
Illuminated ReticleThe illuminated reticle provides greater visibility during dusk and dawn and other low ambient light environment.
First Focal Plane ReticleFirst focal plane reticle stays valid at all power settings allowing you to fully utilize the specially designed reticle that shrinks or grows along with your target as you zoom in or out. The reticle offers quick target engagement at low power while offering precise holdover positions with finer details.
Etched Glass ReticleReticle etched on the glass that provides excellent backing support for complex reticle design and offers great durability and much higher shock resistance to recoil
Advanced Fully Multi-CoatedFully Multi-Coated optics effectively reduces reflected light and increases the transmission of light giving you a brighter image than normal single coated lenses
XPL CoatingXPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches or anything else mother nature can throw at you.
Precision Zero Stop SystemThe system allows you to lock down your zero position and dial back to it with a sharp and precise stop right at your zero mark even you are turning it in pitch-dark or blind folded.
Locking Elevation TurretThis Locking Feature allows you to push down to lock the turret and pull up to turn. This feature prevents the elevation knob from being turned accidentally and keeps your zero all the time.
High Precision Erector SystemThe high precision erector system processed by high precision CNC machine with +/- 0.0001mm tolerance level to provide you the most accurate power settings and smoothest magnification change
One Piece Tube ConstructionHeat treated one piece tube gives the scope extra strength over multi-piece tubes. A one piece tube also is better at keeping moisture out thus keeping your scope fog proof for the life of the product
WaterproofWaterproof to protect the scope in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
Fog proofFog proof to allow you to immediately engage your target when you take your rifle to cold ambient temperature from warm inside
ShockproofRobust mechanical system with special designs on both control and erector system that give you the ultimate recoil resistance to withstand 1000G recoil for 1000 times.
Argon PurgedArgon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .

I recently picked up a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 for a compact hunting rifle. So far it's been great, and I have been really happy with it. The glass is good and tracking has been 100%. Earlier this morning I was shooting at pop cans at 750 yards on a dirt berm. With only being 10x it was a challenge for me, but doable. I have shot steel at 1000yds without a problem.

I would have liked to try one of the straight tubed 34mm scopes for a more compact scope, but I didn't have enough to buy a second scope if it didn't work out.

Absolutely horrible conditions for taking pics thru the scope, but had no problem seeing thru the light fog and hitting the 1moa steel at 1000yds. If I couldn't make out the target with the NXS, I also couldn't make it out with my ATACR's. So better glass didn't help in my situation.
The 10" plate is on the left the ipsc is on the right.

20210914_165059.jpg
20210914_164933.jpg
20210914_164948.jpg

Reactions: deersniper
Thats a nice rifle.

Still wishing for a FFP NXS 2.5-10x32 in Mil-R. Even emailed NF asking for one. I’ll keep waiting.

Reactions: RTH1800
Absolutely horrible conditions for taking pics thru the scope, but had no problem seeing thru the light fog and hitting the 1moa steel at 1000yds. If I couldn't make out the target with the NXS, I also couldn't make it out with my ATACR's. So better glass didn't help in my situation.
The 10" plate is on the left the ipsc is on the right.

View attachment 7703542View attachment 7703543View attachment 7703544
Sweet looking rig.
Stainless model 70 action? And who did the barrel work?

Well, I have a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 on my Tikka 270 and that combo is dead nuts. I mean... not god's gift of glass quality and turret haptics compared to my snazzier scopes, but I see deer and targets just fine and it seems to track accurately up to 300 yards of elevation adjustment even after dragging it through forest (I tend to go in deep to find bambi... which never works, but I like to say I put in the work). I think I got it on sale randomly for like $249.99, too. Feel like I did well enough to post about it here, haha.

I’ve thought of going the 2.5-10x42 for my mk12 mod H. But with the advent of the Gen III razor that will be on my 14.5” and the reticle that currently exist. I’m probably gonna put a 4-16x atacr on it just to give it a little more advantage and purpose as a DMR.

I know it might sound retarded and not really what the OP is looking for, but has anyone here played with the new Sig Sierra6 2-12 ? If you're just looking to bang steels or do short-med range hunting and already own a Kilo BDX ... it seems like a decent solution (although I've heard that some states don't allow hunting with ballistic computer scopes ?)

I'm stuck between the Razor 1-10 and the NXS 2.5-10x42.

The size/weight/resale is about the same.
The pro/con list I can separate is:

Razor:
- 1x Magnification, almost a red dot at low power
- Capped turrets
- Lifetime complete warranty

NXS 2.5-10
- Parallax adjustmnet
- Low light visibility
- Exposed turrets
- Cheaper
- Probably more durable and less likely to have issues (though the Razor will probably never have problems)

The price difference is almost enough to pay for the NXS and an offset red dot instead of the Razor.

@UpSideDown

The NXS + RDS will probably be the same weight as the Razor as well, so you shouldn’t encounter a weight penalty.