• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best ~$2k scope? NX8 4-32 vs. Razor Gen 2 vs. 50% Minox ZP5

Tac Beard

Privy
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2014
Looking to upgrade from an NXS 5.5-22x56 to a newer FFP design. The budget is $2k-ish and not much more. I’ve done a lot of research, I know this is a kind of strange matchup, but I have it narrowed down to these three:

NX8 4-32 Mil-XT
Razor Gen 2 4.5-27 EBR-7C
and for a wild card...
Minox ZP5 5-25 MR4

Criteria:

FFP/mil/mil
>22x
Illuminated tree reticle with .2 mil wind
Zero stop
Capped or locking windage would be nice
Tough/durable

This is strictly for personal, hobby type use on our local 1,000 yard range. Don’t care about weight— it’s going on a Bergara BMP that’s already pretty chunky. I thought I’d settled on the Gen 2 but then the NX8 came out and threw a wrench in the works. I was trying to choose between the two when I learned about the eurooptic 50% off deal. Now I have analysis paralysis.

These three seem to be the best options in the ~2k range. Open to other suggestions but I’m leaning hard toward the ZP5 now, as it seems to be a notch or two above the others at an amazing price.

Somebody tell me I’m making this harder than it is.

best is a hard word to prove best in what ? for what ? have you looked through any of the three you choose maybe a forth in your list is needed or more why not a ffp 4.5 to 30 and illuminated around 1600 ? and if you already know you get the warm and fuzzy feelings from one of your choices why not get it

Reactions: Tac Beard
Having owned the minox and razor and shoot about 100 rds with a nx8 the other two don't compare to the minox. The main reason to get the nx8 would be for the size and weight savings which you said aren't important. If you could use the Mauser or sell it it's a no brainer in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers. I guess my one and only reservation with the ZP5 is not knowing much about their warranty/customer service. I know NF and Vortex are great in that respect. Can I expect to get similar treatment from Minox if I have an issue?

Thanks everyone for the helpful answers. I guess my one and only reservation with the ZP5 is not knowing much about their warranty/customer service. I know NF and Vortex are great in that respect. Can I expect to get similar treatment from Minox if I have an issue?

You've got to consider with Minox you're sending it to blaser USA who then sends it out to Germany so turn around time is a bit longer.

ETA: zp5 is my vote out of those

Customer service is excellent with the Minox in my experience. I had one of their scope with a canted reticle. I sent it out and got a new one in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Can I expect to get similar treatment from Minox if I have an issue?

Like everything in life , everyone will have different experiences and some will be evident in this thread. I've dealt with Minox a few times and although I didn't care for my last interaction, it wasn't "bad" although compared to other brands and I was in for quite a long wait (4.5 months) with a new defective ZP5 that had to go back which ultimately was one of the deciding factors that drove me away from the brand.
Looking back, I might as well have stayed considering that defective scope was replaced by another brand which arrived looking like a dumpster fire and then replaced by another brand which arrived defective so it is what it is I guess.

Last edited:
Like everything in life , everyone will have different experiences and some will be evident in this thread. I've dealt with Minox a few times and although I didn't care for my last interaction, it wasn't "bad" although compared to other brands and I was in for quite a long wait (4.5 months) with a new defective ZP5 that had to go back which ultimately was one of the deciding factors that drove me away from the brand.
Looking back, I might as well have stayed considering that defective scope was replaced by another brand which arrived looking like a dumpster fire and then replaced by another brand which arrived defective so it is what it is I guess.

I think this has to be a record for receiving the most amount of scopes messed up.

I think this has to be a record for receiving the most amount of scopes messed up.

So.........I'm inferring that Bandit31 received a brand new ZP5 that was defective out of the box. I'm not clear as to whether he had to return the ZP5 to Minox because the distributor wouldn't support him (looking for clarification on that....). I would further surmise that the subsequent replacements that were "another brand" were provided by the distributor and (fairly obviously) not from Minox.

@GySgt Smith JE, it sounds like you might have understood that Bandit had (it looks like....) 3 total ZP5's that were bad.

If @Bandit31 could clarify, it would be appreciated......

So.........I'm inferring that Bandit31 received a brand new ZP5 that was defective out of the box. I'm not clear as to whether he had to return the ZP5 to Minox because the distributor wouldn't support him (looking for clarification on that....). I would further surmise that the subsequent replacements that were "another brand" were provided by the distributor and (fairly obviously) not from Minox.

@GySgt Smith JE, it sounds like you might have understood that Bandit had (it looks like....) 3 total ZP5's that were bad.

If @Bandit31 could clarify, it would be appreciated......

I took it to mean he sent the defective ZP5 back. Didn’t care for the long turn around time of 4.5 months. Purchased another brand ie. vortex etc and received a dumpster fire scope from them. He then purchased another scope from another company and received a defective one as well.

So he purchased 3 different Brands of scopes and they all came defective.

Then I took his last statement to mean that he should have just stuck with the ZP5 after having terrible experience with the other brands as well.

@Threadcutter308 It was three different brands of scopes that I had arrived defective. Might not be clear, but it was in my post.

The Minox ZP5 arrived defective and the vendor wouldn't let me return it so I sent it back to Minox. Minox quoted 10-12 weeks, scope went out mid November to go out with the December shipment and didn't get returned to me until mid April, repaired not replaced.

That scope was then sold and replaced with another scope from a different vendor and different manufacturer and arrived looking like dog shit. That scope was then sent back to the manufacturer because the new vendor wanted 15% restocking fee on a fucked up scope. This time I wised up and disputed the charge with my CC and won.

When the money was returned to me I bought another new scope, from a different manufacturer and vendor which arrived defective. The last vendor had a no return policy and this scope was quoted with a 2-4 week turned around, which I decided to just suck it up for since I just did the CC dispute on another vendor. Took six weeks and a replacement was sent.

Three scopes, one after another, all from different manufacturers had arrived defective. There was also another that had arrived defective from another manufacturer and vendor but I *think* there was one good one that snuck in before the rest of the three.

@Threadcutter308 It was three different brands of scopes that I had arrived defective. Might not be clear, but it was in my post.

The Minox ZP5 arrived defective and the vendor wouldn't let me return it so I sent it back to Minox. Minox quoted 10-12 weeks, scope went out mid November to go out with the December shipment and didn't get returned to me until mid April, repaired not replaced.

That scope was then sold and replaced with another scope from a different vendor and different manufacturer and arrived looking like dog shit. That scope was then sent back to the manufacturer because the new vendor wanted 15% restocking fee on a fucked up scope. This time I wised up and disputed the charge with my CC and won.

When the money was returned to me I bought another new scope, from a different manufacturer and vendor which arrived defective. The last vendor had a no return policy and this scope was quoted with a 2-4 week turned around, which I decided to just suck it up for since I just did the CC dispute on another vendor. Took six weeks and a replacement was sent.

Three scopes, one after another, all from different manufacturers had arrived defective. There was also another that had arrived defective from another manufacturer and vendor but I *think* there was one good one that snuck in before the rest of the three.

Thanks for the clarification. Wow, all that bs really sucks, sorry to hear you had all those problems.

Not saying it ain’t so, if they were 3 high end scopes like the ZP5 and they all came to you bad...

Hard to believe.

What was bad about em?

I mean, it’s kind of hard not to believe when all three manufacturers deem them defective and I have correspondence from all stating they were either going to be repaired or replaced..

And all three were either repaired in the case of the Minox and replaced with new, sealed units of the other two.

I have looked through a Minox and a new Nightforce once only, both looked nice, so take this just as my $.02
Glass in the Minox is better than Rzr gen 2. MX8 couldn’t tell.
Having said that Rzrs Gen2 are tanks. Not the most refined mayb but tanks. To me the number one thing a scope has to do is to track reliably and consistently, no matter if I hit it on a barricade, bump/drop the rifle or whatever. Look at a PRS/NRL match and you’ll see a ton of Vortex still... there’s a reason
Minox might end up being better from a reliability standpoint, time will tell, but there are not enough of them out there to say yet. With regards to Nightforce Nx8 if they’re as reliable as an ATACR then you have a serious contender
Finally is the issue if pricing, the Rzr is still cheaper than the other two even w the Minox 50% discount
At any rate all three are awesome scopes and you won’t go wrong either way
Just my $.02

I would go used razor gen 2 and use the savings to take a class

All three of those are good and I don’t think either one has features that sound highly valuable (size, weight, turrets, etc).

If I had any of those and I missed I don’t think it would be because of the scope

I'm planning on doing the Mauser deal, what do you guys think will have the best resale? I was thinking 6.5 Creedmoor.

Im in a similar position as the OP. If y'all could weigh in that'd be great. My use is white tail hunting under 300yds primarily. Unless i get lucky and have my name drawn for an out of state hunt. No competition shooting but I shoot out to 800yds on steel at the ranch. Running a 6.5 CM. I'm trying to stay under the $2000 mark as well. My biggest difference is I have access to MIL discounts.

Right now I'm looking at (in no particular order)

Bushnell DMRII (FFP illuminated) 3.5-21
Bushnell XRSII 4.5-30
Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27
Minox ZP5 5-25 (with their current 50%)
Nightforce ATACR (SFP but prefer FFP w/ lum)
Nightforce NX8 4-32 (haven't heard any reviews on this one yet so I'm hesitant)

A couple that are a little more than i would like to spend but am still considering:
Leupold Mark5 5-25
Nightforce ATACR 5-25 FFP
Razor HD AMG 6-24 (lowest mag is a little higher than i would like)

@Tac Beard I can take this into a new thread but figured we were kind of looking for the same thing. Just let me know.

Im in a similar position as the OP. If y'all could weigh in that'd be great. My use is white tail hunting under 300yds primarily. Unless i get lucky and have my name drawn for an out of state hunt. No competition shooting but I shoot out to 800yds on steel at the ranch. Running a 6.5 CM. I'm trying to stay under the $2000 mark as well. My biggest difference is I have access to MIL discounts.

Right now I'm looking at (in no particular order)

Bushnell DMRII (FFP illuminated) 3.5-21
Bushnell XRSII 4.5-30
Razor HD Gen2 4.5-27
Minox ZP5 5-25 (with their current 50%)
Nightforce ATACR (SFP but prefer FFP w/ lum)
Nightforce NX8 4-32 (haven't heard any reviews on this one yet so I'm hesitant)

A couple that are a little more than i would like to spend but am still considering:
Leupold Mark5 5-25
Nightforce ATACR 5-25 FFP
Razor HD AMG 6-24 (lowest mag is a little higher than i would like)

@Tac Beard I can take this into a new thread but figured we were kind of looking for the same thing. Just let me know.

Out of these options, the AMG or zp5. I know the bottom of the AMG is 6x but rather than just looking at that, look at the FOV specs. You’ll be pretty surprised, especially if you want a 525 atacr.

Reactions: 5RWill
He's not asking for a LPV. Perhaps actually reading the post before throwing a bunch of shit against the wall and seeing what sticks would be a good idea.

Reactions: Covertnoob5
[/QUOTE]

No worries man, I’m pretty well set on getting the ZP5 and I’m interested to hear others’ thoughts on the ones you listed.

Reactions: Jonnyb0381
OP, of the ones you listed, I’d take the Minox in a heartbeat.

If money were an issue, I’d be absolutely happy with the Razor Gen II.

I often contemplate selling off all my scopes and just buying a bunch of Razors and pocketing the rest for a truck or something.

They’re that good.

But being a glass whore, I love the stunning image from the ZP5.

The NX8 is too new to compare and I think it’s also intended to be in a different price bracket. It has to have compromises to have that kind of mag and size.

Appreciate the input HK Dave. Your write up on high end scopes a while back was one reason I started looking closer at the Minox. I’m almost definitely headed that direction. How do you like the turrets on the ZP5 compared to the Razor? I’ve used the Razor some, never owned one but always liked the turret feel.

Appreciate the input HK Dave. Your write up on high end scopes a while back was one reason I started looking closer at the Minox. I’m almost definitely headed that direction. How do you like the turrets on the ZP5 compared to the Razor? I’ve used the Razor some, never owned one but always liked the turret feel.

So i have two ZP5s and there is sample variance. One which i traded is older and the turrets are pretty meh. Comparing it to the L-tec on a Gen II i would absolutely take the Gen II. My new one i got with the mauser deal, i'd put above any L-tec turret i've felt. But hell having said that i got two AMGs and both turrets felt wildly different. One was mushy as all get out and the other was good but not great.

Funny you should mention the turrets. I've owned 2 Minox 5-25 ZP5s and 2 Razor 4.5-27 Gen 2s...

My first Minox was one of the first copies and the turrets honestly kinda sucked. My second copy and the one I still own has awesome turret feel. Really tactile.

I prefer the spacing of the Gen 2 Razor to be honest. I love the idea of 10 mil per rev. Interestingly, my recent Razor has better turrets than my older one. I had one of the first copies and just recently picked up a new one.

So lets take it to another comparison, my turrets on my old TT are better than my new one.

My turrets on my ZCO 5-27 are better than my ZCO 4-20.

All of them except that first Minox are great!

Simply put, the turrets between the Minox and Razor should not be the deciding factor. Both are great. I'd decide on what features you want and what reticle you want. The Minox image quality will def be better but the Razor has things to offer the Minox doesn't.

I would go used razor gen 2 and use the savings to take a class

All three of those are good and I don’t think either one has features that sound highly valuable (size, weight, turrets, etc).

If I had any of those and I missed I don’t think it would be because of the scope
Man well said on the training aspect. Just get something to run and actually have someone teach you how to drive that bad boy the right way and improve your skillset. .To the guy that had all the bad scopes, what was wrong with them? Didn't hold zero? Didn't track ? Turrets slipped?

I mean, it’s kind of hard not to believe when all three manufacturers deem them defective and I have correspondence from all stating they were either going to be repaired or replaced..

And all three were either repaired in the case of the Minox and replaced with new, sealed units of the other two.
What was wrong with each of them. Someone asked but you never answered. I am curious to which scope and what was wrong out of the box. Seems highly unlikely to me but I have just as much reason to believe you as I do to disbelieve so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

What was wrong with each of them. Someone asked but you never answered. I am curious to which scope and what was wrong out of the box. Seems highly unlikely to me but I have just as much reason to believe you as I do to disbelieve so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

Did you miss the part where I have written communication from all three different manufactures deeming their scopes defective and will be repaired or replaced?

Parallax on the Minox was defective so that whole unit including the illumination got replaced. There was also an erecter spring and some other stuff that got replaced and the scope was sent back to me repaired.

The Leupold was a complete cluster fuck, was replaced with a new, sealed unit, and returned to the vendor.

The Steiner had terrible CA and wouldn't resolve images on the higher end of the magnification range. Replaced with a new, sealed unit.

Attachments

• D121AED7-8A56-4510-AC0D-4FAA5EAD58D5.jpeg
    D121AED7-8A56-4510-AC0D-4FAA5EAD58D5.jpeg
    669.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 7E994D50-F9FA-473A-B451-EE8C4DFBE9F9.jpeg
    7E994D50-F9FA-473A-B451-EE8C4DFBE9F9.jpeg
    521.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 30D94E70-677B-4B31-AAD9-7CC56F8463F9.jpeg
    30D94E70-677B-4B31-AAD9-7CC56F8463F9.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Did you miss the part where I have written communication from all three different manufactures deeming their scopes defective and will be repaired or replaced?
I see that you contacted the company's for return but when you opened the box to those scopes what was the discrepancy with the scope that initiated the returns to begin?
Example scope one would not hold zero....

Parallax on the Minox was defective so that whole unit including the illumination got replaced. There was also an erecter spring and some other stuff that got replaced and the scope was sent back to me repaired.

The Leupold was a complete cluster fuck, was replaced with a new, sealed unit, and returned to the vendor.

The Steiner had terrible CA and wouldn't resolve images on the higher end of the magnification range. Replaced with a new, sealed unit.

No, he didn't miss it, you haven't posted it yet.