• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best all around bi-pod for hunting/tactical rifle

Re: best all around bi-pod for hunting/tactical rifle

I like the Harris 6-9 for the range but would use something longer in the field. They are tough as nails and not too expensive. You can catch them in the classified for around $50 but they go really quick. Been trying to catch one F/S for about a month now and finally found one. LOL

for all around use should I go after the 6-9" or the 9-13"

I'll mostly be shooting off the ground, a bench, and maybe the occasional truck hood

Both I bought my 9-13 first then my 6-9 thought the 9-13 would work for both I just couldn't get comfortable at the bench so I bought a 6-9 I'm much happier shooting from a bench with the 6-9.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Atlas Bipod, hands down winner, regardless of the size or weight it has has the Harris beat. </div></div>

Why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Atlas Bipod, hands down winner, regardless of the size or weight it has has the Harris beat. </div></div>

Im not sure the Atlas and Harris can be compared to each other as the Atlas is 3 times more expensive. If money was no option then yes I would go with something like the Atlas, just havent won the lotto yet ! LOL

The Atlas is only that much more expensive than the cheapest of the Harris models, as well you don't need two to accomplish the same thing or do you need to turn to aftermarket upgrades.

One bipod, the Altas, has the ability to be both a 5-9" and 9 to 13, as you have the ability to add leg extensions to the existing unit. As well you have options for different feet, not to mention you can remove the feet and add low cost wooden dowels to raise it up even further if you wanted to shoot from an alternate position.

On top of that, the Altas is lighter, and 4X more versatile than any Harris. It has 4 positions the legs can go in, none of the others can do that, and it's a smaller lower profile unit. It's not some tired designed people are trying to breath life into, it new, well thought out and different enough garner praise.

You want to be cheap, by all means get a Harris, then you'll get a second, then you'll need to add a Pod Loc, then you'll get Pod Claw... if you want the Best Bipod period, you'll get an Atlas. I didn't see where the best was termed in cost, I saw the words the "best" bipod, not the best for the least. two different animals.

Price a swivel BR model Harris, then a Pod Loc, then the claws, and see where the price falls, then double that if you want a set of higher ones. In the long term the Atlas is a smarter choice. Buy once cry once, or buy more than one and see how much you really spend.

People keep asking for the best this and the best that and then start bitching when the answer isn't on McDonald's 99c extra value menu. How much did your rifle cost? How much do you spend on ammo each year to feed it? Time off work, travel to the range? If these numbers don't add up to be enough that the extra cost of an atlas looks insignificant, then you probably don't need an Atlas. The Harris will be fine for 3 sighters/year before hunting season and to hold your rifle up while you clean it. If you actually shoot any significant amount at all then the extra $90 or so for the Atlas is a drop in the bucket for what you spend on this hobby each year and it really is, hands down, no contest, the absolute cat's meow for a field-grade bipod. The engineer in me gets absolutely giddy handling the thing, it's that well designed and executed.

When hunting I like the Harris S-25, think it is 13-25" tall, it extends far enough to let me sit use knees to steedy elbows. Gets you above fairly tall grass, is comfortable for extended periods of time. Shot a lot of coyotes with this setup.

just used the atlas on a javelina hunt, it is amazing, cleats are awesome, its solid, versatile and I dare you to try and break it
smile.gif

I like 6-9 Harris Swivel notched with podlock, but will be scoring an Atlas soon.

I think in the field and hunting the 9-13 or 13-25 are the most useful, on the bench or shooting 100% prone in the field on fairly flat terrain/urban the 6-9 is best. It's one of those give and take things the 13-25 and even 9-13 are not ideal on the bench, and the 6-9 is at times not ideal in the field. On my hunting guns I have 9-13's on a varmint gun I like the 13-25. On a gun that rides the bench I use a front rest and bags
smile.gif

I have an atlas and it's a nice product, and it addresses some of the issues with the Harris but it's not the do all and end all bipod as some would have you believe. There are things the harris does better, and things the atlas does better. There is no argument that the atlas is a more sleek and very well thought out design and a better overall product.

I'd say the atlas is lighter, it's more compact, faster to adjust leg height. The ARMS rail option rocks, because the rail adapter for the harris is way too big/bulky. You have the option to fold the legs forward or backward and have a 45 degree forward angle option. The atlas has the pan option along with tilt, and it's adjustment is more solid.

However it's also noisy compared to the harris, if I was going to hunt with the atlas that would have to be fixed, a little heat shrink tubing on the inner leg might do it. There is no option for friction locking the innner legs down so you only get to use the notches for adjustment. There is also more play in the legs when locked in position which is moot once you preload it. It has to mount on a rail which is fine if you have a rail, or a 2 stud stock so you can put a rail on. Most of my hunting guns have neither so if you want something to swap between rail/non-rail guns the atlas has issues.

I also have to say I'm a little skeptical how well the leg notches are going to hold up, both being aluminum and there is very little contact surface at each notch point, especially if you preload the bipod heavy a lot, time will tell and I'm sure guys have put a lot more abuse on theirs than I have mine and they are holding up. In addition the podloc on a harris is easily adjusted while in the shooting position with little to no movement of the support hand, to adjust the atlas tension you are going to have to remove and reposition the support hand. Not a big deal, but the podloc is nice that way.

Just like the harris if you want ski feet or talon feet you are going to pay for them, and they don't have a swivel option that the pod claws allow that better conform to uneven surfaces. Swapping feet is faster on the atlas. The atlas has the option of being able to purchase leg extensions for it but if you want a 20" high atlas you are going to spend a LOT in extensions and I have a feeling it's going to be really wobbly because every extension section is going to have additional play in it. Lowlights stick option is a great one, and interestingly enough a makeshift monopod could probably work with just one leg in the 90 degree position too.

Overall the atlas is a good bipod, and given the choice I'd take one over the harris, but it should be for $279, the harris is 1/3 of the price for the swivel option and for another $20 for a podloc it's a very solid and quiet bipod, it's worked for 25 years and few products have trumped it in that time. I'm certainly more than happy with the atlas, and kasey has been great, but I don't think it's quite worthy of some of the super hype it receives here. No there isn't a better bipod than the atlas you can buy, but it's 3x the cost of a harris that works very well also and still does some things better than the atlas.

For a tactical tool I'd put a atlas on it in a heartbeat, for a hunting rig I'm still in the harris camp, especially if you want anything taller than 9"

Kasey has addressed the noise issue it was a simple O-Ring addition/Change and it quiets the bipod a great deal. He forwarded the O-Rings to us recently and they change the dynamic of the Atlas in terms of sound. It's a simple fix.

Heavy pre-loaded, please guys are using the Atlas during this class and we load the bipod up big time, and there are zero issues, sounds like you "played' with the Atlas but failed to "use' the Atlas. We use the snot out of the Atlas with zero issue.

As far as the pod loc and the tension, I'm not sure what you mean by having to remove the support hand. You can set the tension in a similar fashion to the Pod Loc. Then you can rotate the Altas, which moves both Side to Side like a swivel Harris and forward and back to pan unlike a harris. So again, I question just how much you actually used the Atlas. The only downfall I see is the fact some things are changing while the older models are out, or while upgrades have been made.

Believe me, we are shooting it every day, and you post like you've got a 1000 rounds behind an Atlas when I'll suspect its closer to 100. I'm hyping it because we are using it hard and it works, you can get lower in the 45, you can offset the legs for alternate/uneven position, the pan and tilt is heads and tails over the harris swivel. Your complaints amount the the price and the sound, the price is what it is, and the sound was addressed, so, the only issue is price.

If it didn't work, I wouldn't say a word, but it works, and works in way that a Harris doesn't. Sorry you feel it is too expensive, but consider the work that went into it.

ToddM and Lowlight posted well formulated reviews. I have two atlas bipods and think Kasey's design is really great in so many ways. I am surprised that nobody mentioned the GG&G Tactical Bipod because it is also very well done and rock solid.

I was very clear that some have more time in on them and have not had any issues yet.

My point in moving your support hand was this, if you shoot prone with a support arm on the stock, you can set the podloc up so you can adjust the tension without a significant reposition by adjusting it with just a finger/thumb, not possible with the atlas, support hand has to come out of the stock/sling, adjust knob, and return to position. If you leave the tension in one place all the time as most probably do not a big deal, but harder to adjust in position.

Can't say as to the O-ring on noise, I have two of them, the second I just got this week from Triad, the other I've had for awhile, new one is just as noisy as my older one. Haven't seen anything on the o-ring fix so I couldn't tell you if my units have them or not.

My point was simply there are still things the harris does well, especially in a hunting role, or if you want a bipod longer than 9". I could care less about the cost. You don't agree and you've made it very clear, good for you.

What you saying about adjusting the pod loc makes no sense, how do you adjust it with a finger and thumb and not remove your hand from the stock ? Unless you are supporting the stock up forward, which is just a poor prone position to begin with... especially with a bipod. So that alone leads me to believe your "review" is less than informed.

If you think a 9"+ Harris is superior, great you can add a $1 worth of a 1/2" wooden dowel to the Atlas to make it any size you want, height solved with next to no additional money spent. The same 6" bipod you use on the range can be used in the sitting position if you so choose, sounds hunter friendly to me.

For most people shooting in the prone, the 9"-13" is actually too high and puts them in a bad position to begin with, most tactical shooters prefer the 6-9" BR notched model, so getting higher for hunting requires a second bipod, or a compromise that takes you into poor prone position when you are not hunting. (unless you are twinkie challenged then a taller bipod makes sense)

Again, the fix is in for the sound, call Kasey as I doubt any of the shipped models, especially previously ship are likely to have the upgrade, we only just got them. I'm sure Kasey will send you an O-ring for free if you feel the critters will hear you.

I still use a Harris on some rifles, mainly because we haven't changed the stocks over to rails yet, but admittedly for many a Harris is fine, but it is far from the Best Bipod on the market. The Atlas solves just about every limitation of the Harris in one package, as well the upgrade and options don't require destructive changes to accommodate. I don't know what problem a Harris solves that an Atlas doesn't, except cost.

Thanks to one and all for the props, I appreciate the support and do not take any of it for granted.

Harris builds a good bipod that continues to serve the shooting community well, it was an honor for mine to meet the man behind it. The fact he felt no improvements could be made to the bipod has resulted in the Atlas.

ToddM, Thanks for the candor and observations which I also appreciate and is what I asked for and got from all of our T&E guys, it is because of this feedback we went from the V5 to today's V7. And I saw no mention of the ability to pan with the Atlas in your post which you know can't be done with the Harris?
smile.gif

Regarding the o-ring Frank talks about, it is actually a replacement screw with an o-ring which acts as a bumper between the two leg components. All of production run 2 will have this upgrade which begins shipping next month. ALL 1st production bipods are eligible for these parts upon request, or the bipod(s) can be returned and we'll upgrade them and then return them. HOWEVER, we are waiting for the new style of screw to be made (the balance of current inventory has been modified for production run 2), once we have them in stock, I am going to contact everyone on the Atlas list regarding this offer.

I am going to make an exception for you, you can either contact me with your address and I'll send you a couple or you can send me the bipod(s) and I'll install them. Then you can report back here with your observations.

Please understand THE ONLY difference is the legs are quiet, there is no change to function. And using the Atlas as is will not effect the installation at a later date.

Regarding the knob vs podloc, first, Terry has done the community a great service by this solution. Second, if you are moving the off hand to the bipod area to makes this adjustment, then it is only hand orientation that is different. The gross movement is the same. I grab the left leg, letting the thumb and index finger to grasp the knob to loosen/tighten.

To those that might think that Frank is blowing wind up some skirts regarding the Atlas. What I know of Frank is that he would not risk his reputation for any product if his personal experience was different than stated. I know some will say; sure Kasey, you say that because he is behind the Atlas. Well, I certainly appreciate his support, just as I do others that have commented on the Atlas but the rest of the story is I have offered other gear to Frank for T&E and got nothing back other than his offer to return said items. ZERO support was offered on or off line.

To be clear, Frank does not have any interest in B&T Industries and he is not a paid spokesperson for B&T. I have hired Frank to take photos (can you blame me?) and work with me on some other promotional stuff (the uber-cool card we handed out at SHOT) all of which paid by the job, not a percentage of sales.

Furthermore, everyone of our four T&E guys got a free V7 Atlas for their effort and involvement and all four have bought additional units.

And last, we have now placed orders in the hands of some military units based on their personal experience with the Atlas. This is our targeted audience as they deserve the best we as Americans can build and what motivates me. The Harris will satisfy many shooters, the Atlas simply offers more features and versatility with less weight which these guys appreciate.

Again, Thanks to one and all for your support and patience with this project.

Also ToddM, not sure what you mean here; "and they don't have a swivel option that the pod claws allow that better conform to uneven surfaces".

Are you saying the optional CLEATS and SKIS for the Atlas don't swivel?

Actually they do swivel in 360 degree range not having any directional orientation.

I handle each of these before shipping and believe I would have caught it but if you have a set of these that don't swivel they are defective and need to be returned.

I had a Caldwell with the swivel and the cant adjustment. Went from 13 to I believe 26. Was an excellent bipod until I popped the leg off one day elk hunting. When I find one Will probably get one again. Also have a rock mount 9-13 with cant adjust on my LR rifle. Absolutely love it....

Kasey,

The feet articulation/swivel issue is my bad, from an early picture it looked like they would not articulate to uneven ground, IE they were fixed at 90 degrees to the legs, or only had very limited movement. In fact that kept me from picking a set up. On the new pics it clearly shows they do have quite a bit more movement.

On that note do they have enough articulation to sit flat on level ground when the bipod is angled 45 degrees forward? For the claw feet it wouldn't be a huge issue, but for the ski feet it would be sweet.

Ski feet are a love/hate relationship with me anyway, the harris ski feet are great on something like soft sand/snow, but when you load up the bipod on concrete or hard dirt they rotate back too easy so unless you really crank the bolts down it's hard to load up the bipod.

That's a great offer on the new o-ring screws. No hurry though, I'll make sure I'm on the email list, and when you guys have normal stock in them I'll contact you for a set, and be happy to report back here on the noise reduction.

ToddM, Okay I understand better now. I'm very happy with the movement/function of the optional feet as the non-directional orientation was challenging. At the 45 degree the feet DO NOT lay flat, the front edge is about 1/2" off the deck.

I ordered a couple smaller items from Kasey and he was nice enough to include the new updated replacement screws with the O-ring. Piece of cake to install (just remove the feet and unscrew the old screw and install the new one). The o-ring screws definitely makes the bipod as quiet as anything else out there and certainly quiet enough to hunt with. So kudos to Kasey for listening to shooter input and quickly enacting improved designs. With so many other companies making products that show no interest in improving them or are unresponsive to customer input Kasey goes above and beyond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyote3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Caldwell with the swivel and the cant adjustment. Went from 13 to I believe 26. Was an excellent bipod until I popped the leg off one day elk hunting. When I find one Will probably get one again. Also have a rock mount 9-13 with cant adjust on my LR rifle. Absolutely love it.... </div></div>

I'm not a fan of the Rock Mounts because they're essentially a knock off of the Harris and they're made in china. I watched one fall apart in 2 weeks of groundhog hunting. May have been a bad one but for an extra $20 I'd rather have a Harris. How long you had it? Any problems yet?

CMS

Re: best all around bi-pod for hunting/tactical ri

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Versa pod is excellent and inexpensive. </div></div>

+1

What amazes me about the shooters ridge rock bipods is they are only about $10 less than the harris bipods around here and yet they are made in china and obviously not up to the quality of harris. If they were half the price or something I guess you'd get what you pay for but at $89 -vs- $99 for a swivel bipod I'll take the harris every time. Not to mention being a blatant copy of the harris the same goes for the caldwell XLA.

I kinda like the look of the stoney point rapid pivot's but I don't think they would take any abuse or heavy loading. They might work really nice for hunting in that they have a simple quick release, and are really light.

Wow! It is a cool pod system for sure and considerable differences and while the argument for the $$$ is a good one. Its just not enough of a kitty's titty to make me go out and drop 200 bones and get one.

Anyone know much about the sako bipod? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering if it is that good considering it's a rediculous amount of money (about $450) to get one
crazy.gif

May be it is too late to answer, but YES, Sako bipod is VERY good, especially for heavy TRG 42 rifle with heavy recoil.

Jurek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ghilliedup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know much about the sako bipod? Don't mean to hijack the thread, just wondering if it is that good considering it's a rediculous amount of money (about $450) to get one
crazy.gif
. </div></div>

From my understanding, best bipod on the market for the SAKO TRG, I have heard of stories of trying to adapt them or develop ones like them for other rifles and it turning out like crap =/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p620346</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Versa pod is excellent and inexpensive. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

I bought one brand new and it is broken out of the box... Which I understand can happen... but my first versapod is a bad experience... after every shot I was a good 2 feet off target to the left.... the wobble and amount of loading (2-3 inches) required on it was insane... sent it back for repair but god knows when I will get it back as the mail service lost it.

Thanks,
- Koshy