• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best AR15 Stock with Recoil Pad

vetman1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
Georgia
I need a little help with which stock I need for a .223 LMT CQB MRP.

First and foremost the most important thing is I am looking for a really good recoil pad. The reason is I bought this rifle to help teach my two sons (4&5 years of age) how to shoot. They are too young right now to hold the gun properly, but I am trying to plan for the future. I was raised on a .30-06 as we were only able to afford one rifle when I was growing up and therefore I still have problems with recoil. I am glad my father took time with me to teach me how to shoot and we did the best we could with what we had at the time. I just want the lightest recoiling combination I can put together and therefore the desire for the best recoil pad.

My other desires are that I want a good cheek weld that will not pull my beard and obviously a good swivel attatchment. I have looked at the LMT SOPMOD, but just didnt know if I could get a better recoil pad in a stock of that build style.

Thanks,
Thomas

Re: Best AR15 Stock with Recoil Pad

If your cocerned with recoil, why not start the young ones on a 22lr? Help them develop good fundementals, with out worrying about recoil or blast induced flinching. Just a thought.
Eric

I started my 2 boys out with a daisy Red Rider each. Then moved up to the hard stuff.
Each are now avid shooters and still have their Red Riders from their childhood.

Your best bet would be a 22lr upper or conversion kit but if you want to reduce the recoil on your current gun you should look into getting a muzzle break. I have a 20" .223 AR with a Rainier XTC break, extra power buffer spring, and a hydraulic buffer that kicks slightly more than a 22lr, not sure how much the buffer actually helps but is a good combo in my gun. I cant recommend the same combination of parts for your gun because some wont run right with the buffer in it but it will work great with the break.

I appreciate all the replies. Yes I am going to go slow and they already have a Daisy Red Ryder. I am just thinking about the future and I want to upgrade the OEM LMT stock.

Thomas

Check out the Vltor emod stock. It has tubular storage spots on both sides that provide excellent cheek weld plus they are water proof. It has a rubber recoil pad. It also has QD swivel sockets on both sides. They are a little heavy but are outstanding butt stocks. I run all my carbines with them.

I use a Magpul CTR and UBR with the Enhanced recoil pad. I got the Enhanced pads for the added length, but they help with the recoil. If you want a lighter stock you could go with the Magpul Moe or any of the new Magpul stocks with side compartments.

Also, have them wear ear plugs in addition to ear muffs - electronic ones or not. That will reduce the sound dramatically.

If you want to go the inexpensive route you can just get a rubber cover that slips over the end of the end of an M4 type stock....like a Hogue grip but for stock. Cheap and helps with recoil.

Or, go out and just get a 22 of some sort but they will quickly out grow the rifle.....just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62DAV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the Vltor emod stock. It has tubular storage spots on both sides that provide excellent cheek weld plus they are water proof. It has a rubber recoil pad. It also has QD swivel sockets on both sides. They are a little heavy but are outstanding butt stocks. I run all my carbines with them. </div></div>
+1 Love my EMODs

I would recommend looking at one of the Magpul stocks. They have a variety of different shapes to choose from. The ACS stock is similar to the SOPMOD and won't pull your beard like some of the VTOR stocks will. Magpul has just released several new styles of stocks as well. As mentioned above you can get the enhanced recoil pad which will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vetman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My other desires are that I want a good cheek weld that will not pull my beard</div></div>

I know exactly what your talking about. I have changed all my stocks to the Magpul UBR's just for that reason.

Fwiw i like the lmt sopmod, good cheek weld and has the rubber buttpad. Simple and useful design. Theyre just a little costly.

I have a VLTOR IMOD with a Spikes T2 buffer and Ranier XTC. I have hardly any recoil and I have never seen 4 and 5 year olds with beards.

Magpul UBR with the enhanced .070 pad would be a good bet.

I think you have heard 22LR several times now and I will chime in with the same. That is the first rifle your young children should use. You can learn 90% of the skills needed with a 22LR. Here is my suggestion: very different from what you are thinking. Get a CZ 452 in one of the popular models. The CZ 452 is an amazingly accurate rifle at a great cost and the trigger is tunable to the ounces. Around the world, the CZ452 is recognized as a super value, super accurate rifle with a very tunable trigger. Also, they have a junior model with a stock appropriate for a 5 yr old.

I have the same AR and I have a UBR and enhanced butt pad on mine. Cant say it reduces recoil much. But it looks cool.