• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best areas to live in TX

I love South Texas during late deer season, the Hill Country during early deer season, and the idea of Texas the rest of the year.

No income tax translates to high property taxes and high sales tax on everything from groceries to liquor. Every state gets there money somewhere.

Reactions: stello1001
While I still maintain dual citizenship with the US and Texas, I’d probably choose somewhere in Oklahoma (not the panhandle) before anywhere in Texas. Same ultra conservative gun loving folks, just a little cleaner cut in parts without the garbage of DFW, Houston, Austin.
I'll take a few squares around Lipscomb and be plenty happy snow or not in the winter. I go there every couple of years to shoot yotes dogs and goats. Great folks I have gotten to know there that I'd call lifelong friends and the Tubb ranch around there is nice....hell most of his ranch is a range. Problem would be getting my cows and horses there. I do like W Oklahoma. Same like you say and bigger deer.

Also, unique to Texas, is mineral rights. Make sure you own the mineral rights. Many properties do include mineral rights which means the mineral rights owners can put an oil rig 100yds from your house.
Kinda true, but some details are important. Most private lands in America recognize the severance of mineral rights. The oil producing states simply deal with mineral rights more frequently and as a result they are better defined by law and case precedent unique to those areas.
In Texas, you'll still have recourse through the accommodation doctrine.
The following link is a good primer on the subject.

Not appreciated!
See? Nobody wants transplants any longer. Well, except Abbott.

He went off the other day during an interview, stating that those moving into Texas were overwhelmingly conservatives and that the liberals were moving out to California. I’m in disagreement with that to put it gently. He and I are living two different lives. Or our definitions are different.

I'd move to the Panhandle N of Canadian. Ultra conservative, very minimal population, good hunting, gun in every truck like where I live but not a liberal or even a medium city anywhere near.
Yes but the wind blows ALOT and there are winter storms that leave more than in inch of ice on everything AND he wants to be close to a real airport. Amarillo is not much of an airport.

That's my opinion. Texas is unique. There is virtually no Federal land or State land. Everything is in private hands. If you want to hunt or shoot, you must do it on private property. Same with any other activity...mountain biking, horseback riding, dirt bike riding and so on. This requires land and is in direct competition for those who just want a homesite. So if you want to do those things with convenience, you buy land. And if you don't want to be taxed unmercifully, you must become a rancher...or put the land into some type of conservancy. Another note, make sure your land is "Ag Exempt" when you buy it and figure out how you're going to keep it ag exempt. It's a pain but but on the other hand I have several "ranges" on my land out to 600 yds and horse trails, stables, and riding arena. I have at times raised everything from registered Longhorn cattle, Aoudad sheep, horses, donkeys, and chickens.

If your land is already AG exempt, you can move it to "Wildlife" or "Timber" exempt with approval. You get the same tax savings. I moved mine to Wildlife and don't have to worry about livestock. Write an annual report and either file it or submit it to County Tax office. Some counties want the report every year, by a specified date, some only when requested. There are companies that will manage your plan and report for a price. I do my own so can't comment on what the cost is. The down side to Wildlife is you can't take advantage of the sales tax exemption on materials and supplies like AG. I would rather lose that than screw with livestock.

Another issue with water isn't just if you have it but do you have the rights to it. Water rights are now being held just like minerals when land sells in certain areas. This may be a non issue if fracking is outlawed. Friend's dad was making 6 figures a month pre-covid selling water to a fracking company.

Also if you are in the Edwards Aquifer area, there has in the past, been issues with water restrictions in drought conditions. If I remember, there is like a east/west natural divider in the aquifer that separates areas. Been a long time since i kept up with it.

Property taxes are high. WATER is a big concern. The Aquifers in Texas are dropping, so well water, especially shallow wells are in jeopardy. With your budget I would look at live water places, city water is expensive but a nice alternative. Certain areas have moratoriums on construction due to water issues so due diligence is important. Texas can be hot & humid, down south it's worse around Houston etc. The Hill Country is beautiful, the growth around Austin,not so much, & traffic as well. Not to mention/ lots of fucktards! North Central Texas is great, insane growth here as well, fucktards too. Texas is pretty diverse from piney woods in the east to the coast & the high desert to the west. Winds can be unsettling, tornados and such. Seems the I35 corridor N/S is the worst. Some out of the way areas that are nice, Palo Pinto, Hamilton/Goldwaithe area, Stephenville, Dublin. 5-20 acres is small enough so shouldnt have issues being close to services. I always try to get mineral rights if at all possible, just makes it easier to live. I love Texas, I don't like people.

Look at this:

Be sure to read #173 (that is me) and onward. If you are not Texan, enjoy your visit and move along. We have enough of our own idiots to deal with, and would prefer everyone else stay clear. We built our portion of the wall on the wrong river!

People fleeing progressive hell-holes are driving up property values here. There is no where left to run! Regardless, the cited thread provides useful information on the state of things here.

Hi,

The Sanderson area is really really nice...AND super cheap.
Just be sure to purchase this 620 acres in Terrell County, Texas (landsofamerica.com) and I will come build a training center at it, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis
Sand.JPG

True story.

When I was a kid my father was offered the job of trainmaster in Sanderson. Knowing nothing about the town he loaded the family in our station wagon and we drove out there to check out the area. After about 10 hours on the road, we finally got there. It didn't take my mother 5 minutes to threaten to divorce my father if he took the job and take me and my sisters to stay with her family in Houston. We turned around and drove straight back, arriving home some time late that night. Needless to say, my father decided on a different career track.

I've been through Sanderson a few times in recent years, and it barely looks any different than it did back when we visited there in the '60s. It's not really the worst place in the world, but it's just about the most remote town in the most remote part of the state. If I were to settle in those parts, I would keep heading west about an hour to the area of Alpine. It's a small college town (Sul Ross State U) and has some decent amenities, good weather and very nice scenery. Probably still too remote for the OP though, so I'll second the advice of buffalowinter and jrhtx on the matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: STex
Texas is not tax free. No income tax, but 8.5% sales tax and high to outrageous property taxes.
Yep, the State has to get their money somewhere.

While not in the same financial circle as the OP, here are the numbers from my own research.

TX - 3bd/2ba on 10 acres = $5400 property taxes $0 income tax. (property we considered in Graham TX)
AZ - 2bd/2ba on 36 acres = $500 property tax and $330 income tax. (property we bought in Apache County, AZ)

Math makes it clear which is the better deal.

Now if you happen to be 100% disabled Vet (as a friend of mine that just moved there is) then TX works well, as you are exempt from property taxes.

Property taxes are high. WATER is a big concern. The Aquifers in Texas are dropping, so well water, especially shallow wells are in jeopardy. With your budget I would look at live water places, city water is expensive but a nice alternative. Certain areas have moratoriums on construction due to water issues so due diligence is important. Texas can be hot & humid, down south it's worse around Houston etc. The Hill Country is beautiful, the growth around Austin,not so much, & traffic as well. Not to mention/ lots of fucktards! North Central Texas is great, insane growth here as well, fucktards too. Texas is pretty diverse from piney woods in the east to the coast & the high desert to the west. Winds can be unsettling, tornados and such. Seems the I35 corridor N/S is the worst. Some out of the way areas that are nice, Palo Pinto, Hamilton/Goldwaithe area, Stephenville, Dublin. 5-20 acres is small enough so shouldnt have issues being close to services. I always try to get mineral rights if at all possible, just makes it easier to live. I love Texas, I don't like people.

I'll have to check into the water issues in hill country - might raise the budget and look at larger parcels in the 100+ acre range while we live in a rental and get our TX bearings. Lots available with live water to varying degrees - been browsing Zillow. Agree re: people. Individuals are fine, but once they form groups... George Carlin was genius.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
Anything anywhere near the I35 corridor between DFW and San Antonio is gonna cost ya dearly. We just sold our house in New Braunfels for almost double what we paid for it back in 2012. Sold before we even officially put it on the market and had 6 more buyers lined up if that deal fell through.

Land is skyrocketing too...

Still have our place in Lubbock we’ll be selling this spring when our son graduates from Tech...sinking that into improvements on our little patch up on Canyon Lake, and our current home just north of NB. Seriously thinking of picking up some land in far west TX (past Junction) or maybe up on the TX/Arkansas border while it’s still relatively cheap.

Reactions: Chickentoast
https://www.landwatch.com/archer-county-texas-farms-and-ranches-for-sale/pid/336546787 and at $2,805,699 its a steal
this property looks fun cut down some treed near a lake and lots of land to make a range to shoot on so when we all visit you got the space and range to have large groups if that is too much then
what about this place and only $268,600
Size: 158 Acres
Type: Farms and Ranches, Undeveloped Land, Hunting Property that would make a nice tiny home and shooting range ..
https://www.landwatch.com/edwards-county-texas-farms-and-ranches-for-sale/pid/409139496 🥺 🥺 think of all the fun you could have 🥺🥺 the quiet piece of texas heaven just for you and those you choose to share it with . Good luck with your search hope your able to find something you like .

Please - Palo Pinto County is horrible, for your own sake don't come to Palo Pinto County.

PS. I don't like people.
No to Palo Pinto. Too many shitheads from DFW are already screwing it up. Not to mention the meth heads living there. A level shit ton. And cedar hackers. Don’t go there either.

Reactions: aviatrix
https://www.landwatch.com/archer-county-texas-farms-and-ranches-for-sale/pid/336546787 and at $2,805,699 its a steal
this property looks fun cut down some treed near a lake and lots of land to make a range to shoot on so when we all visit you got the space and range to have large groups if that is too much then
what about this place and only $268,600
Size: 158 Acres
Type: Farms and Ranches, Undeveloped Land, Hunting Property that would make a nice tiny home and shooting range ..
https://www.landwatch.com/edwards-county-texas-farms-and-ranches-for-sale/pid/409139496 🥺 🥺 think of all the fun you could have 🥺🥺 the quiet piece of texas heaven just for you and those you choose to share it with . Good luck with your search hope your able to find something you like .

If you buy this bullshit ad you have never been to Archer County. Dead serious. Mineral rights? Water? Nope. You may have water but since the whole area has been overdrilled and water injection has been used much of the water is contaminated. So you wait for it to rain 3x per year.

If you look you can probably see a trend - the transplants are giving you advice while the native Texans are telling you to go away. We aren’t trying to be mean but it’s not really meant in jest either.

We have our own issues. People keep coming in from every border and are actually adding to them. You want our way of life but by coming here you are ruining it for all of us. We are here because we really don’t like a lot of people - if we did we would move to Dallas, leave Texas or join a commune. We don’t like people coming in and throwing money around, it doesn’t impress. We have our morality and we don’t need anyone else to give us thiers, especially through the voting booth. Water has become an issue, among other things. It’s especially rough when people come here and do nothing but bitch about the weather. The exit is always open.

We don’t want it to be forever 1836, but for the love of all that’s holy we don’t want to be like the other 49 states either.

Again, not trying to be an ass, just giving you some perspective in case it was lost in translation somewhere.

If you look you can probably see a trend - the transplants are giving you advice while the native Texans are telling you to go away. We aren’t trying to be mean but it’s not really meant in jest either.

We have our own issues. People keep coming in from every border and are actually adding to them. You want our way of life but by coming here you are ruining it for all of us. We are here because we really don’t like a lot of people - if we did we would move to Dallas, leave Texas or join a commune. We don’t like people coming in and throwing money around, it doesn’t impress. We have our morality and we don’t need anyone else to give us thiers, especially through the voting booth. Water has become an issue, among other things. It’s especially rough when people come here and do nothing but bitch about the weather. The exit is always open.

We don’t want it to be forever 1836, but for the love of all that’s holy we don’t want to be like the other 49 states either.

Again, not trying to be an ass, just giving you some perspective in case it was lost in translation somewhere.

I'm sure some think this way, but it's incredibly short-sighted. The last person to listen to this advice would be exactly the type of person you don't want coming in. So, all this could do is potentially filter out good people. The people are coming, regardless - continuous population growth will bring nomads, immigrants, and transplants. The reasons they come is most important, and presuming they want your "way of life" is incorrect - the worst ones are moving (in droves) for the express purpose of bringing their way of life and destroying what you have, and that wave won't stop until they've destroyed it all. You might prefer having me there instead of another one of them.

Reactions: BufordTJustice
People forget that although the major cities/valley have always been democrat, the rural areas were democrat also. It wasn't until obama was elected, that the rural areas turned against the progressive agenda and turned republican. The rural areas have always been more conservative and should remain so, possibly except around the Austin area and possibly into the hill country due to the californians coming in, so I've been told. BTW, Texas has no income tax on food or medicine when purchased through grocery stores/pharmacies.

Is this considered attractive land in TX?
Its land. I've given you the low-down on the area. Some fool from the Metroplex will buy it and love it until they look closer. August will set the exit.

Last edited:
I'm sure some think this way, but it's incredibly short-sighted. The last person to listen to this advice would be exactly the type of person you don't want coming in. So, all this could do is potentially filter out good people. The people are coming, regardless - continuous population growth will bring nomads, immigrants, and transplants. The reasons they come is most important, and presuming they want your "way of life" is incorrect - the worst ones are moving (in droves) for the express purpose of bringing their way of life and destroying what you have, and that wave won't stop until they've destroyed it all. You might prefer having me there instead of another one of them.
Its way more than some that think like this. There is an issue that I don't think many consider, and really they don't have a reason to so its not their fault in that regard: when people move into an area, they have the effect of increasing land taxes. Families that have had land in for generations now find themselves unable to pay the property and estate taxes due to the encroachment of ranchettes driving up valuations. Ways of life disappear along with family possessions. Anywhere around a lake in Texas is a prime example of that. So in that sense it doesn't matter who you are or what your politics are. The results are the same.

I spent the better part of a day with the city council and the chief of police in one of the areas mentioned in this thread. They were all of the same opinion that the influx of people has done nothing but hurt the local population financially as they drive up the cost of homes and other assets while adding nothing of real value to the economy as they are for the most part not producing anything locally, only consuming. Their preference would be that they come in, spend money visiting and go back to where they came from. Its kind of shocking to see when its put on paper.

Please - Palo Pinto County is horrible, for your own sake don't come to Palo Pinto County.

PS. I don't like people.
Haha! Yes Palo Pinto County is definitely an acquired taste. I only mentioned it because of the topography and with the chicken's budget he could be on the river

No to Palo Pinto. Too many shitheads from DFW are already screwing it up. Not to mention the meth heads living there. A level shit ton. And cedar hackers. Don’t go there either.
That's a pretty broad brush your painting with. I only mentioned certain areas that are similar(somewhat) in topography to the hill country region. Not that I'm disagreeing with you, to each his own. Still lots of room to spread out here...just not like it once was!

Haha! Yes Palo Pinto County is definitely an acquired taste. I only mentioned it because of the topography and with the chicken's budget he could be on the river
The problem with that is the Brazos River Authority. Ask anyone who lives on the river or on PK. These are the same cats who stopped generating electricity with the dam at PK, bought up land around the feeder creeks, etc. Some people have purchased around there and didn't do their research on who owns what and how far the BRA authority goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: aviatrix
The problem with that is the Brazos River Authority. Ask anyone who lives on the river or on PK. These are the same cats who stopped generating electricity with the dam at PK, bought up land around the feeder creeks, etc.
This is my AO, I'm very well acquainted with the BRA.

I checked it out online and it does look beautiful, as well as the other towns you mentioned. I may have to take more than 1 trip to get a taste / feel before committing to an area.

If you want to live in the Hill country area, you better be prepared for some of the most oppressive heat you'll ever encounter.
Not only are the temps fairly high, but so is the humidity.
There is about 3-4 weeks TOTAL of nice weather in South Texas, some in the fall, some in the winter and some in the spring.
I live in South Texas, albeit near the coast, I am patiently waiting for my second retirement, in about 6 years so I can move out.

If you want to live in the Hill country area, you better be prepared for some of the most oppressive heat you'll ever encounter.
Not only are the temps fairly high, but so is the humidity.
There is about 3-4 weeks TOTAL of nice weather in South Texas, some in the fall, some in the winter and some in the spring.
I live in South Texas, albeit near the coast, I am patiently waiting for my second retirement, in about 6 years so I can move out.
That's the thing with North Texas too. When it hits 104-110 in August whoever buys that land in Archer County will be in for a miserable time unless they grew up there.

Actually, the panhandle is about the only place where August is actually pretty nice because there is no humidity. But I love hot weather so my opinion is biased.

Planning on moving to TX this year. Probably take a trip beginning of April to drive around and see some spots. Based on pictures, I'm liking the hill country between San Antonio and Austin, also the areas north of Houston seem nice. The lake/river area to the northwest of Austin also looks nice.

Looking for a horse property or something with minimum 5 acres, but ideally 20 or more, so would probably not be looking in the towns, but also don't want to be an hour from a grocery store. Dallas is in the mix as well, but seems like such a huge metroplex that I'd need to have a feel before even knowing where to look.

Any input on your favorite areas to live in TX is much appreciated!

Anything near the major metropolitan areas is much higher priced and full of libtards. Since you want to be close to groceries and an airport, I suggest you look in the vicinity of some of the medium sized towns where there is a regional airport. A quick flight to Dallas and you’re headed to anywhere in the world you want to go. I’d be looking around San Angelo or Abilene If an Airport is important to you.

If you are willing to drive for air travel, that opens up countless opportunities , as almost any small town has groceries.

The Hill Country is beautiful but pricey in the most well known parts of it. That type of terrain does extend into areas that folks don’t think of though. Look around Albany, Graham, and Eastland.

I think you get the most for your $ in The Big Country, particularly in Fisher and Scurry counties in the Rough Creek area. You’ll see land advertised for $1300 - $1400/acre, but can get it a little cheaper. Subsurface water can be hit or miss though and you need to pay close attention to that. You can get land cheaper, but mostly that will be west of Big Spring and is closer to true desert.

In the oil producing areas, mineral rights are a concern. If you don’t own them, you can have wells put on your property and there is not a damned thing you can do about it.

Be absolutely sure to buy the WIND RIGHTS! Yep, that’s a real thing, and if you don’t own them, a wind power company can build wind generators on your property.

Property taxes here are among the highest in the nation. No state income tax though, which puts your total tax burden probably in the lowest 1/3 of anywhere.

Lots of folks don’t want anyone coming in. Problem is Texas offers enough that folks are going to come, wanted or not. As a result, Texas is turning blue. My thoughts are if you are a God fearing, conservative, minimal government kinda guy, then come on in and vote appropriately when you get here!

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Chickentoast
I recently studied a move to TX. That ended up being a no-go for me because of the sky high property taxes. Property taxes are a tax on success. I'll take a higher sales tax any day as long as property taxes are none to minimal. That way, everyone pays into the system, including the illegals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve_In_29
I would agree with that. Its a trap that keeps a person forever paying large sums of money, even after a property title is "owned". Property taxes make you realize you really don't own anything, its leased to you by the state government. Don't pay it and find out how that goes.

Hi,

The Sanderson area is really really nice...AND super cheap.
Just be sure to purchase this 620 acres in Terrell County, Texas (landsofamerica.com) and I will come build a training center at it, lol.

Sincerely,
Theis

Dang Theis, how did you find that? If I had 600K sitting around that would be tempting. When I was a kid, we leased 9500 acres about 30 miles east of this property. It was about 30 miles south of Sheffield on hwy 349. I was able to find it on the map of this property listing. Wonderful hunting area with lots of deer, turkey, javelina, doves, quail, etc... and a few Spanish goats. Long way from a grocery, but close to a four legged taco....and very few humans. Sounds delightful!

Also, unique to Texas, is mineral rights. Make sure you own the mineral rights. Many properties do include mineral rights which means the mineral rights owners can put an oil rig 100yds from your house.
It's highly doubtful you'll get the mineral rights with property now. Standard operating procedure is for the current owner to retain those rights. It's not a big deal most people don't own 100% of the rights anyway. And if the new owner is going to get mineral rights it's going to be minimal.

The good thing is surface operations typically go to the surface owner. And, most leases are just acreage to hold the lease... surface owner never knows operations are going on.

If you're buying property here in Texas then go to the Railroad Commission and look up well location and production history

It's highly doubtful you'll get the mineral rights with property now. Standard operating procedure is for the current owner to retain those rights. It's not a big deal most people don't own 100% of the rights anyway. And if the new owner is going to get mineral rights it's going to be minimal.

The good thing is surface operations typically go to the surface owner. And, most leases are just acreage to hold the lease... surface owner never knows operations are going on.

If you're buying property here in Texas then go to the Railroad Commission and look up well location and production history
Also learn to read the maps at the Railroad Commission. There is a big difference between an open hole and a plugged well.

Reactions: RGStory
My fear is Tx is turning Dem. I don't think it will last another 10 years.
If Biden gives amnesty and opens the borders I think TX will go blue at the national level in 2024.

In the most important election in recent memory, Trump won the supposedly red bastion of TX by LESS than 6%.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiNdvenTFHwMdqKW
Anything near the major metropolitan areas is much higher priced and full of libtards. Since you want to be close to groceries and an airport, I suggest you look in the vicinity of some of the medium sized towns where there is a regional airport. A quick flight to Dallas and you’re headed to anywhere in the world you want to go. I’d be looking around San Angelo or Abilene If an Airport is important to you.

If you are willing to drive for air travel, that opens up countless opportunities , as almost any small town has groceries.

The Hill Country is beautiful but pricey in the most well known parts of it. That type of terrain does extend into areas that folks don’t think of though. Look around Albany, Graham, and Eastland.

I think you get the most for your $ in The Big Country, particularly in Fisher and Scurry counties in the Rough Creek area. You’ll see land advertised for $1300 - $1400/acre, but can get it a little cheaper. Subsurface water can be hit or miss though and you need to pay close attention to that. You can get land cheaper, but mostly that will be west of Big Spring and is closer to true desert.

In the oil producing areas, mineral rights are a concern. If you don’t own them, you can have wells put on your property and there is not a damned thing you can do about it.

Be absolutely sure to buy the WIND RIGHTS! Yep, that’s a real thing, and if you don’t own them, a wind power company can build wind generators on your property.

Property taxes here are among the highest in the nation. No state income tax though, which puts your total tax burden probably in the lowest 1/3 of anywhere.

Lots of folks don’t want anyone coming in. Problem is Texas offers enough that folks are going to come, wanted or not. As a result, Texas is turning blue. My thoughts are if you are a God fearing, conservative, minimal government kinda guy, then come on in and vote appropriately when you get here!

John
When our son was living in Graham we checked into buying property there. Most land was listed at $5K an acre for outsiders. Though locals would sell to each other at $1,200.

Also learn to read the maps at the Railroad Commission. There is a big difference between an open hole and a plugged well.
https://gis.rrc.texas.gov/gisviewer/ <-To save yourself some time searching.

Note, the pipeline layer should only be used as a reference. Always check your abstract of title and read the existing easements thoroughly. As a word of caution, be wary of exclusive and blanket easements when purchasing property in Texas. It is your responsibility to know and understand the implications before your purchase.

Guess I have to put a price range here - figure 1M-4M, but I've seen some places at the low end that are nicer than others at the high end... which is why I'm seeking advice.

My Houston clients lived in the Woodlands and it seemed really nice, but I never spent more than 3 days there, and many since have said it was too hot and humid, etc. I also have conflicting reports about Austin: some say leftist hellhole, and others say leftist only in the city, and there are sane suburbs around. Dallas I've heard is like Greenwich, CT, but for men LOL, yet I've also heard it's old and stuffy. So I figured a diverse group here could cut through the BS.

Based on my interweb searching, I like from Boerne up to Fredericksburg, over to Dripping Springs, and up to Spicewood and Horseshoe Bay. But some of the properties north of Houston look even nicer, and are basically half the price of the ones between San Ant and Austin. So, why are they half the price? Just climate and terrain? What will I find out only after living there?
The Austin area is the the libtard capitol what with all the Kali folks and companies moving in. If you are retired, there are lots of out of the main stream places because you don't have to commute daily.