• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best areas to live in TX

Isn't New Mexico getting more and more liberal
Yes it is, which sucks for rural families who have lived there since before it was a State or there was even a USA.

An acquaintance of mine lives in NE NM on a Spanish Land Grant his ancester earned as a soldier on a Spanish expedition to the New World in 1625. It wasn't until about 1750 that they could manage to stay on the land without the Indians killing them all. The family has lived non-stop since then on their ranch that is still operational to this day. He jokes that his family didn't come to America...America came to them.

Isn't New Mexico getting more and more liberal
Everywhere thats decent to live is getting more liberal because the rats are jumping ship from the shit storms that their liberal bullshit created and bringing their liberal rat bastard ideals with them, only to start a new shit storm.

I visited Texas over the weekend. Looked at areas and some houses. Don't see us moving to the areas we saw.

Flew into Austin - stayed in Bee Cave. There is no town, the town is literally a mall. Went to Lakeway, same deal. Houses on no land, cookie cutter McMansions and douchebags. Truly horrible. Went down to Dripping Springs and Driftwood areas. Saw a house in Rim Rock. A little more land and way less douchebags, but again, weird planned developments plopping McMansions down. Dripping also has no town to speak of, but at least a little more than a gross new mall.

So, we decided to drive and see more - there must be quintessential Americana somewhere... Had the best BBQ (maybe ever) at Opies in Spicewood, but nothing else there. Passed Garrison distillery in Hye, but unfortunately they were closed. Continued to Fredericksburg, which was nicer, but very touristy. Then to Kerrville, which was not nice at all. Continued to Boerne, which was again OK, perhaps equivalent to Dripping Springs, but with way more Mexicans. Then to Canyon Lake, on to New Braunfels, and back to the airport.

No Norman Rockwell towns were found. Lots of poverty, arid/desert, illegals, and fast food. So we've essentially crossed off Austin and Hill Country, and are thinking of checking out DFW area. Westlake, Southlake, Flower Mound, etc. I didn't want to go to the expensive areas at first, because I end up hating it for the pompous a-holes, but I'd rather that than what I saw. Still hoping for the quintessential American town/community, but I guess what I really want died off in the late 80's and 90's.

The Texas you are looking for doesn't exist any longer. It went the way of screen doors, awnings and cork bobbers.

Try Mississippi. Its got room and isn't Texas. Texas is full.

I visited Texas over the weekend. Looked at areas and some houses. Don't see us moving to the areas we saw.

Flew into Austin - stayed in Bee Cave. There is no town, the town is literally a mall. Went to Lakeway, same deal. Houses on no land, cookie cutter McMansions and douchebags. Truly horrible. Went down to Dripping Springs and Driftwood areas. Saw a house in Rim Rock. A little more land and way less douchebags, but again, weird planned developments plopping McMansions down. Dripping also has no town to speak of, but at least a little more than a gross new mall.

So, we decided to drive and see more - there must be quintessential Americana somewhere... Had the best BBQ (maybe ever) at Opies in Spicewood, but nothing else there. Passed Garrison distillery in Hye, but unfortunately they were closed. Continued to Fredericksburg, which was nicer, but very touristy. Then to Kerrville, which was not nice at all. Continued to Boerne, which was again OK, perhaps equivalent to Dripping Springs, but with way more Mexicans. Then to Canyon Lake, on to New Braunfels, and back to the airport.

No Norman Rockwell towns were found. Lots of poverty, arid/desert, illegals, and fast food. So we've essentially crossed off Austin and Hill Country, and are thinking of checking out DFW area. Westlake, Southlake, Flower Mound, etc. I didn't want to go to the expensive areas at first, because I end up hating it for the pompous a-holes, but I'd rather that than what I saw. Still hoping for the quintessential American town/community, but I guess what I really want died off in the late 80's and 90's.
Come and look at Belton/Temple and Salado. You went the wrong way trying to get out of shithole Austin.

Texas towns are rather unique.
Most of them have no town square/downtown.
Most of them are depressing places to exist, note I did not say live. You merely exist.
I got stuck here back in 1998 (just north of Corpus Christi) and am looking forward to the day I retire and can sell my home and move somewhere with grass, trees and maybe some hills.
I'd recommend you look in the Tyler, Texarkana and Marshall area

What exactly are you looking for?

Those areas in DFW are very upper class suburbia

Reactions: Steve_In_29

Sounds like you visited Phoenix.

If you want Norman Rockwell shit you have to go to the Midwest. Lots of older towns like that in Pennsylvania etc but the economy isn't great.

Actually, the area around the Texas Motor Speedway has a few nice areas, little town like places. (And I might add a great Police Force, polite and understanding while still maintaining law and order) but, DFW is Big, I do mean B - I - G. Lots and lots of skyscrapers, lots and lots and lots of traffic.

Lots of lakes and pretty good sailing. Fishing within a reasonable distance, (about a hundred miles or less; a couple hours to get to the city limits and another hour to cover the 80 miles or so left to get to the lake)

If you want land, trees, sky, stars, DFW just is not for you

PS Got great bike shops including the best I was ever in, but who wants to ride on those streets.

Thanks fellas, looks like a couple more trips are in order. I understand exactly what fdkay means by Exist. There was nothing to enjoy, or aspire to, no motivation. I thought I wanted 500 acres in Hill Country... now, I understand, why in hell would I want that - there is nothing there but Chicken Express, and the land is arid and homogeneous.

I want a community of Americans. I say regular people who care about a lot of the same things, including each other, and the community/couuntry itself - but according to today's society, my definition means incredibly intelligent, highly educated, independently successful, extreme right wing crazy people who only deal in what used to be known as facts and rational thought, and are not currupted by power or money. You know, Unicornville.

Thanks fellas, looks like a couple more trips are in order. I understand exactly what fdkay means by Exist. There was nothing to enjoy, or aspire to, no motivation. I thought I wanted 500 acres in Hill Country... now, I understand, why in hell would I want that - there is nothing there but Chicken Express, and the land is arid and homogeneous.

I want a community of Americans. I say regular people who care about a lot of the same things, including each other, and the community/couuntry itself - but according to today's society, my definition means incredibly intelligent, highly educated, independently successful, extreme right wing crazy people who only deal in what used to be known as facts and rational thought, and are not currupted by power or money. You know, Unicornville.
Lampasas.

Reactions: Aftermath
FB_IMG_1646150553280.jpg

Sounds to me like you want North Arkansas

The "nothing there" that you speak of is what many who come here are seeking. You won't find what you are seeking in the hill country, it is long gone. South Texas is very Hispanic and the area that I truly love, the stark beauty of the Brush Country and big ranches are for me, you can have the Mayberry towns.
Many men fish for a lifetime without realizing it is not the fish they are seeking.

Don't move to Westlake unless you're a high-tech multi-millionaire globalist. The only campaign signs the city of Westlake allows in your yard are Biden/Harris or some other commie fuckstain. Lakeway is nothing but swindlers, con artists and illegals across 620 in Apache Shores. If you were busted and done time for embezzlement or some other high profile crime but have a cigarette boat you will be popular in Lakeway.

Bee Caves is the mall, as you say. I live in Spicewood on Lake Travis and Opie's Barbeque is the main attraction. Lots f the usual methbillies and their subculture and drama. Dripping Springs is exploding with all kinds of new arrivals and there was a 65/35 ratio of Hillary signs in 2016. I call it Dripping Dick.

Further out in the Hill Country in Kerrville there's lots of rich di-vorcees. Fredericksburg is clean but those Germans are a closed loop unless you're family. Expensive too.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Try Hereford. Beautiful vistas, people, charm, etc. The smell is unforgettable.

• Haha
Reactions: BigTex
Don't move to Westlake unless you're a high-tech multi-millionaire globalist. The only campaign signs the city of Westlake allows in your yard are Biden/Harris or some other commie fuckstain. Lakeway is nothing but swindlers, con artists and illegals across 620 in Apache Shores. If you were busted and done time for embezzlement or some other high profile crime but have a cigarette boat you will be popular in Lakeway.

Bee Caves is the mall, as you say. I live in Spicewood on Lake Travis and Opie's Barbeque is the main attraction. Lots f the usual methbillies and their subculture and drama. Dripping Springs is exploding with all kinds of new arrivals and there was a 65/35 ratio of Hillary signs in 2016. I call it Dripping Dick.

Further out in the Hill Country in Kerrville there's lots of rich di-vorcees. Fredericksburg is clean but those Germans are a closed loop unless you're family. Expensive too.

Absolutely got that vibe in Lakeway - looked like FL scam artists who made it out alive. Sounds like you 1. have the skinny on places and 2. I agree completely with your assessments of the places I saw... Do you mean Westlake Hills, Austin or Westlake DFW, or both :ROFLMAO:? I thought Westlake DFW would be more rino scammers, but at least not covidiots or commies, no? Southlake, Flower Mound, Heath, Argyle, Lewisville Lake area, etc.

I would almost get on a plane just to eat all day at Opies. I got $85 worth of BBQ for lunch and was shaking because I couldn't stuff it into my face fast enough. Wife was like, WTF is wrong with you... :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely got that vibe in Lakeway - looked like FL scam artists who made it out alive. Sounds like you 1. have the skinny on places and 2. I agree completely with your assessments of the places I saw... Do you mean Westlake Hills, Austin or Westlake DFW, or both :ROFLMAO:? I thought Westlake DFW would be more rino scammers, but at least not covidiots or commies, no? Southlake, Flower Mound, Heath, Argyle, Lewisville Lake area, etc.

I would almost get on a plane just to eat all day at Opies. I got $85 worth of BBQ for lunch and was shaking because I couldn't stuff it into my face fast enough. Wife was like, WTF is wrong with you... :ROFLMAO:
Westlake Hills, Austin. It was a great place growing up, a blend of cedar chopper hillbillies and U.T. professors. Everyone had horses and the rolling hill country ranch land and beautiful Barton Creek to the west was our playground. The hills of Westlake were sparsely developed and in the fall the roads were quiet except for long time natives in Willy's Jeeps heading to their deer stands. In high school my buddies and I lived in a horse stable belonging to one of the group with the tack room was converted to a bunkhouse and the horses were kept in a corral. It was our hunting camp. The sounds of fall in Westlake were chainsaws whining in the distant and the occasional rifle shot. Like was good.

Now, those sounds would bring the law down on you.

Westlake Hills, Austin. It was a great place growing up, a blend of cedar chopper hillbillies and U.T. professors. Everyone had horses and the rolling hill country ranch land and beautiful Barton Creek to the west was our playground. The hills of Westlake were sparsely developed and in the fall the roads were quiet except for long time natives in Willy's Jeeps heading to their deer stands. In high school my buddies and I lived in a horse stable belonging to one of the group with the tack room was converted to a bunkhouse and the horses were kept in a corral. It was our hunting camp. The sounds of fall in Westlake were chainsaws whining in the distant and the occasional rifle shot. Like was good.

That sounds great. All my childhood stories are similar in that they would be impossible now. Do you know DFW area at all? Or am I simply chasing a time machine? I may just want 1985 back...

DFW is getting pretty crowded especially around Dallas. There should be open property south and east of Dallas but north and west (toward Fort Worth) is pretty population dense.

For Fort Worth it gets pretty open in all directions except for east (toward Dallas). South and south-southwest of Forth Worth are growing pretty quickly.

That sounds great. All my childhood stories are similar in that they would be impossible now. Do you know DFW area at all? Or am I simply chasing a time machine? I may just want 1985 back...
DFW sucks. The people from there are as foreign, hard, phony, pretentious as Californians.
It's also dangerous. It's Lakeway on crack but with a lot more bling.

@Chickentoast
If you were to drive from San Antonio to Lubbock up through San Angelo, Big springs and up onto the caprock you would see miles of pretty country and wind towers. Some old towns are boarded up and dying. Thats where I want to go.

DFW sucks. The people from there are as foreign, hard, phony, pretentious as Californians.
It's also dangerous. It's Lakeway on crack but with a lot more bling.

Crap. I know some people that have bought into private communities in MT, but it is mostly retirement age, and super expensive. I was hoping to wait another decade or two before going that route.

Will keep searching TX / watching videos and running stuff by you Texans here. Maybe take another trip out in a couple of weeks...

I think at this point, all the decent land at decent prices in Texas is gone. Real Estate is so inflated right now, it is rediculous. I could NOT sell my own. home, in Kerrville for enough to replace it. Fucking Californians are on a heigera to Austin, and surrounding areas, and spilling over here.
Best spot for all transplants now, is going to be Rio Grande Valley. Brownsville, for a start, Loredo, even Del Rio. Sanderson, even.
Cheap, and one simply can't beat being the first to start a gentrification trend.
Considering that Beorne is now physically a part of San Antonio (continuous homes and businesses, from one to the next, unending highway construction, and heavy, at-capacity traffic), I wouldn't move here now on a bet.
PS: if you (anybody) are coming from California, stay there, fight the good fight, and salvage that beautiful land from the Communists.

Reactions: Seymour Fish
Americans VS dems- after we win we just deport their anti-American, cancerous souls.

Planning on moving to TX this year. Probably take a trip beginning of April to drive around and see some spots. Based on pictures, I'm liking the hill country between San Antonio and Austin, also the areas north of Houston seem nice. The lake/river area to the northwest of Austin also looks nice.

Looking for a horse property or something with minimum 5 acres, but ideally 20 or more, so would probably not be looking in the towns, but also don't want to be an hour from a grocery store. Dallas is in the mix as well, but seems like such a huge metroplex that I'd need to have a feel before even knowing where to look.

Any input on your favorite areas to live in TX is much appreciated!
Grew up in Perryton and still have family there and in Canadian and Amarillo. All the things you say here are true but I’d add that it is a giant shit hole and the weather is pretty awful. Amarillo wouldn’t be the worst place I suppose but not where I’d choose.

While I still maintain dual citizenship with the US and Texas, I’d probably choose somewhere in Oklahoma (not the panhandle) before anywhere in Texas. Same ultra conservative gun loving folks, just a little cleaner cut in parts without the garbage of DFW, Houston, Austin.
I was just about to say today, the best part of Texas is above the Red River, LOL.

Austin has become an embarrassment.

You really do live there !

I remember that, when Convict Hill was almost boonies.

It was cool in about ‘64 If you played tennis. Dregs now.

What you are looking for is pilot point, Aubrey, argyle, bartonville, celina, Anna, Melissa.

Every big piece of property through here is through the roof. Your budget better have a M behind it and not a K. You can get a house in those areas for less than a mil but it’s not going to have much property on it, or the house is going to be old and small.

Once I move from this hell hole called CA, I'd like to move to Texarkana, the Texas side.
Avoid Hooks, New Boston, DeKalb, Avery. Daingerfield. Look at Hughes Springs, Linden, Mt. Pleasant

Used to bow-hunt Westlake

Planning on moving to TX this year. Probably take a trip beginning of April to drive around and see some spots. Based on pictures, I'm liking the hill country between San Antonio and Austin, also the areas north of Houston seem nice. The lake/river area to the northwest of Austin also looks nice.

Looking for a horse property or something with minimum 5 acres, but ideally 20 or more, so would probably not be looking in the towns, but also don't want to be an hour from a grocery store. Dallas is in the mix as well, but seems like such a huge metroplex that I'd need to have a feel before even knowing where to look.

Any input on your favorite areas to live in TX is much appreciated!
Mexico is what you are looking for. It was 30 in Galveston a few weeks ago, but 85 in puera viarta. Most of the mexicans have already come to Texas. Weed is more or less legal. Property taxes are way better. You’re welcome

Reactions: Snuby642
Used to bow-hunt Westlake
Those tame yard deer are a real challenge. When I was in my teens I walked from Westlake, across Barton Creek before daylight to try and kill a buck. Later, in the mid 90's 130 class bucks would herd up in my yard waiting to be fed.

Last edited:
Here is what Austin attracts now. Look at this idiot. I guarantee he's not a "native". Moving from San Bernardino to Austin in the 90's doesn't make one a native.

This is the new Austin look, the prerequisite California cocksucker grey ponytail and commie cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Look the area just south of the Arkansas boarder. There might be some good areas there.

Denton (north of Fort Worth) is not bad EXCEPT for the weather. For some reason when bad weather goes through north Texas it always hits Denton.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642

Man, you literally drove right through where we live…would have loved to show you the sights you likely missed unless you’re a local. And would have loved to show you around our place up on the NW side of Canyon Lake. We’re between the Guadalupe river on one side, and the lake itself on the other.

Completely different from the town of Canyon Lake/Startzville, which can be a bit meth-head hillbilly in some places; especially anywhere near the main thoroughfares. Can give you a really skewed perspective.

And somehow missed your budget the first time I replied. You have options, even with the stupid prices we’re seeing lately. If you happen to look around the NB - Boerne area again, we can show you around or put you in contact with some folks we trust who can show you some nice spots. How much land do you want? A lot of options for livestock, shooting, etc. open up at 5 and 10 acres and up.

We have a place nearer New Braunfels (a couple very nice communities that are perfectly in line with your budget, including ours), but we also have a place here: https://www.cordovaoncanyonlake.com/

It’s pretty much completely sold out, but there’s a nice 36-acre lot right on the lake that we were seriously looking at, but they wanted $1.2M just for the land, and we wanted to stay around that price all in. It shows it’s off the market, but I can swing by and talk to the developer on Thursday when I’m up there refilling my deer feeder to see what’s up. Show’s $502K on Zillow, which is weird

There’s also the new one the same developer is building over on the river right behind where we are: https://www.paradiseontheguadalupe.com/

Another really nice community closer to Boerne in your price range is https://cordilleraranch.com/

Again, depends on what you’re looking for…. A lot of land or a really nice place closer to town, maybe both for your budget if you get lucky.

^
Man, you literally drove right through where we live…would have loved to show you the sights you likely missed unless you’re a local. And would have loved to show you around our place up on the NW side of Canyon Lake. We’re between the Guadalupe river on one side, and the lake itself on the other.

Completely different from the town of Canyon Lake/Startzville, which can be a bit meth-head hillbilly in some places; especially anywhere near the main thoroughfares. Can give you a really skewed perspective.

And somehow missed your budget the first time I replied. You have options, even with the stupid prices we’re seeing lately. If you happen to look around the NB - Boerne area again, we can show you around or put you in contact with some folks we trust who can show you some nice spots. How much land do you want? A lot of options for livestock, shooting, etc. open up at 5 and 10 acres and up.

We have a place nearer New Braunfels (a couple very nice communities that are perfectly in line with your budget, including ours), but we also have a place here: https://www.cordovaoncanyonlake.com/

It’s pretty much completely sold out, but there’s a nice 36-acre lot right on the lake that we were seriously looking at, but they wanted $1.2M just for the land, and we wanted to stay around that price all in. It shows it’s off the market, but I can swing by and talk to the developer on Thursday when I’m up there refilling my deer feeder to see what’s up. Show’s $502K on Zillow, which is weird

There’s also the new one the same developer is building over on the river right behind where we are: https://www.paradiseontheguadalupe.com/

Another really nice community closer to Boerne in your price range is https://cordilleraranch.com/

Again, depends on what you’re looking for…. A lot of land or a really nice place closer to town, maybe both for your budget if you get lucky.

Hey, that would've been awesome! I'm an idiot for not posting here before leaving - was sort of a blur. Thought we were going to sign a lease in Driftwood, but once we saw the areas and lack of towns / urban sprawl, we got a bit scared. Horse friends have a ranch between Dripping and Bee Cave, and their place is nice, surrounded by large parcels of conservation land, and ours can stay at their place. There was/is a rental on the north side of Canyon Lake that I was considering as well. Not sure if I posted the decision, but we will be renting for the first year as we figure out the areas we like and hopefully build some friendships. No real budget for the rental, but probably wouldn't go above 10K, as that seems to be the top of the market other than outliers. Checking out DFW horse areas between Flower Mound and Argyle now, even though it sounds like it might also be a bust.

Reactions: 91Eunozs