• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best areas to live in TX

I'm moving by June 30. It got pushed a year due to biz happenings mostly spurred by the BS Rona gov't response and public hysteria.

Definitely disagree on mutual exclusivity. Plenty of places in NY and New England where that is still possible, and certainly possible in planned communities in MT, but those are for the old money retirement age people, with 5-10M buy-ins plus construction, etc. Dallas realtor said high 3's-10M would be fine for a 5-20 acre horse property with all the fixins on the north side of Grapevine Lake.

Alternatively, if you mean I'm spending too much to find that, then point me to where I can spend less, that isn't a shithole, and I'd gladly put the rest into night vision and ammo, maybe rebuild a WW2 tank and a few '65 Cobras.
Areas that require millions to buy property are NOT small town America. Those kinds of prices destroyed that. In real small town America, $10 million would buy the whole town.

You seem to be wanting country yet have ALL the city amenities at your fingertips. Real country has no amenities. You want the illusion of being country.

Where I live the town (county seat) has no stop lights, the only fast food is a Subway, there is a Dollar General, a few local restaurants, two bars, a liqueur store, a Carquest auto parts and a small IGA grocery/Ace Hardware. A supermarket is 40 miles from my house as is the hospital. Walmart, Home Depot etc are 60 miles in the other direction. In the entire 11+K square miles of Apache County (6th largest in the USA) there are 2 Starbucks and they are up on the Rez at tourist attractions.

Define shithole?

I have 72 acres of this and 5 years ago it along with the 1452sqft log house set me back $176K (the shop and sheds were extra). I have co-op electric and a well. There is a rancher running free range cattle on the lands around me. In the square mile I live there are 6 people to include my wife and I. A guy I know just bought the 36acres to my east for $35K

View from my front porch
N7mFDOO.jpg

View from the mesa looking down on my house
Xlbzq6e.jpg

Traffic jam. That Trump hat gets compliments every time I wear it to town.
5xYWwAM.jpg

4cWBcjC.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. It’s interesting to look at the nationwide election map broken down by county instead of state. Nearly all the major metropolitan areas are blue, with nearly everything else red.

John

8-D46071-D-AD01-41-E8-ADD0-F9-D1-B99-CE35-C.jpg
Yep and those metropaliton areas are breeding voters at an alarming rate. My county is blue on that map simply due to the Rez. Where about 50K of our 71K population lives.

Areas that require millions to buy property are NOT small town America. Those kinds of prices destroyed that. In real small town America, $10 million would buy the whole town.

You seem to be wanting country yet have ALL the city amenities at your fingertips. Real country has no amenities. You want the illusion of being country.

Where I live the town (county seat) has no stop lights, the only fast food is a Subway, there is a Dollar General, a few local restaurants, two bars, a liqueur store, a Carquest auto parts and a small IGA grocery/Ace Hardware. A supermarket is 40 miles from my house as is the hospital. Walmart, Home Depot etc are 60 miles in the other direction. In the entire 11+K square miles of Apache County (6th largest in the USA) there are 2 Starbucks and they are up on the Rez at tourist attractions.

Define shithole?

I have 72 acres of this and it along with the 1452sqft log house set me back $176K (the shop and sheds were extra). I have co-op electric and a well. There is a rancher running free range cattle on the lands around me. In the square mile I live there are 6 people to include my wife and I. A guy I know just bought the 36acres to my east for $35K

View from my front porch
N7mFDOO.jpg

View from the mesa looking down on my house
Xlbzq6e.jpg

Traffic jam. That Trump hat gets compliments every time I wear it to town.
5xYWwAM.jpg

4cWBcjC.jpg

That is awesome, and is similar to what I have in NH, and the luxury version of that is what some friends are doing up in MT.

I don't want country or small town America per se, I just want the Americans, whether they have money or not, live in a small or big town. Shithole to me has crime, alcoholism, drug addiction, unwanted pregnancy, leftism, and/or English as no longer the primary language. Just want trustworthy, honest Americans who care about their community and country as well as their stuff - and the less they care about perception, the better.

Will be heading to DFW in a few weeks to check out the areas previously mentioned. If we rent something, we can explore for a year, and hopefully find our Mayberry to buy or build.

Define shithole?
This is spot-on. Areas he visited in central Texas are definitely not shitholes. If urban sprawl = shithole, then yes - but some are quaint little Texas towns with an actual Main Street that isn't boarded up. 3-10M would get a lot of property (50+acres) w/ a modern 4000sqft home & pool in the Texas Hill Country. You'll be an hour drive from any Costco or mall, thats for sure.

Reactions: Steve_In_29
That is awesome, and is similar to what I have in NH, and the luxury version of that is what some friends are doing up in MT.

I don't want country or small town America per se, I just want the Americans, whether they have money or not, live in a small or big town. Shithole to me has crime, alcoholism, drug addiction, unwanted pregnancy, leftism, and/or English as no longer the primary language. Just want trustworthy, honest Americans who care about their community and country as well as their stuff - and the less they care about perception, the better.

Will be heading to DFW in a few weeks to check out the areas previously mentioned. If we rent something, we can explore for a year, and hopefully find our Mayberry to buy or build.
I live North of Dallas, about a hour, the home prices here have sky rocket. We have a ton of Californians moving here to our town that was 3000 people in 2010 and now is 9000. The local FB page, which I do not belong, is a total shit show between the townies and the new comers. North Texas use to be friendly, not so much any more even drivers in my town are not nice. We have older Texans and they don't drive as fast as everyone else, so we need to be nice and polite drivers to help them.

This is what MOST people want. They want the country life without that 4 letter word - WORK. Owning land in the country takes a fair amount of it. What they want is to buy land, sit on their ass and enjoy country life like in Cowboys and Indians magazine. Except it only exists in subdivisions that sell for a monster premium (i.e., you get raped on price for 10 acres) and have a cool name over the subdivision gate like "Dripping Springs Estates" or some bullshit, and most have 5 figure aluminum horse trailers and some sorry-assed equines in the back yard. And those subdivisions are suspiciously close to all the amenities of comfy life; you know, where liberals hang out and you can get avocado toast or some such. "How much for square bales for my horse? Can you deliver them? Can you stack them for me?"

Occasionally someone in their mid-30s says to me that they want to have a farm and raise animals even though they have no prior experience with such. The Green Acres theme starts almost immediately. I give them honest advice: "you are way too old to start ruining your back and getting your teeth kicked in now. Buy some chickens, maybe some goats and go with that." Those that don't take my advice don't last too long, and sure as hell manage to get kicked, stomped, thrown or otherwise fucked up by some animal that they are totally unprepared for. Nobody seems to believe the amount of work a man signs up for when wanting to run livestock or begin farming from zero knowledge. It's a complete shitshow.

But the worst, by FAR, are those that think they can buy land and get other people to do the work for them. They cannot be rehabilitated, neither can they keep their ego in check. It is best to avoid them so that you don't get screwed in the process of them auguring into the ground. I can go on about this type of life form forever. The selfishness combined with self-righteousness is amazing. Most people who want to move out in the country fit this profile and cannot seem to understand why everyone shuns them, never understanding that they are the new village idiot.

I live North of Dallas, about a hour, the home prices here have sky rocket. We have a ton of Californians moving here to our town that was 3000 people in 2010 and now is 9000. The local FB page, which I do not belong, is a total shit show between the townies and the new comers. North Texas use to be friendly, not so much any more even drivers in my town are not nice. We have older Texans and they don't drive as fast as everyone else, so we need to be nice and polite drivers to help them.

You haven't seen anything yet... as the grand calexodus continues, you should see at least another 300-500% real estate appreciation in the next 10-20 yrs. Every 1M of income generates 180K of yearly CA income tax. All of that lost tax revenue will convert to spending in TX and other states, beginning with real estate. It's as insane as everything else we're enduring now culturally. I always thought of TSLA as the canary in the coalmine - once people turn on that ridiculous clownshow company and product, the pendulum will start to swing back. Think I'm going to need a new canary...

• Sad
Reactions: Shooter McGavin
This is what MOST people want. They want the country life without that 4 letter word - WORK. Owning land in the country takes a fair amount of it. What they want is to buy land, sit on their ass and enjoy country life like in Cowboys and Indians magazine. Except it only exists in subdivisions that sell for a monster premium (i.e., you get raped on price for 10 acres) and have a cool name over the subdivision gate like "Dripping Springs Estates" or some bullshit, and most have 5 figure aluminum horse trailers and some sorry-assed equines in the back yard. And those subdivisions are suspiciously close to all the amenities of comfy life; you know, where liberals hang out and you can get avocado toast or some such. "How much for square bales for my horse? Can you deliver them? Can you stack them for me?"

Occasionally someone in their mid-30s says to me that they want to have a farm and raise animals even though they have no prior experience with such. The Green Acres theme starts almost immediately. I give them honest advice: "you are way too old to start ruining your back and getting your teeth kicked in now. Buy some chickens, maybe some goats and go with that." Those that don't take my advice don't last too long, and sure as hell manage to get kicked, stomped, thrown or otherwise fucked up by some animal that they are totally unprepared for. Nobody seems to believe the amount of work a man signs up for when wanting to run livestock or begin farming from zero knowledge. It's a complete shitshow.

But the worst, by FAR, are those that think they can buy land and get other people to do the work for them. They cannot be rehabilitated, neither can they keep their ego in check. It is best to avoid them so that you don't get screwed in the process of them auguring into the ground. I can go on about this type of life form forever. The selfishness combined with self-righteousness is amazing. Most people who want to move out in the country fit this profile and cannot seems to understand why everyone shuns them, never understanding that they are the new village idiot.
Yeah who the fuck wants to get up at 0 dark thirty when it's 23 degrees outside to help a cow give birth because the calf is stuck and the vet ain't coming. How about pulling a dead cow out of the pond that you use for drinking water for all the cattle. Sure move them over to the other pasture, but that cattle has to come out of that water. Spring time is coming and my cows are dropping calfs left and right won't be long before we have to run them through the chute a castrate the bulls once they drop. The fun never stops just like always fixing fences. That said I wouldn't want to be any where else as I can't see my neighbors and they can't see me.

You think people who lay out millions of dollars for their house/property aren't going to care about perception??

The "luxury version" kills exactly what it is you are looking for. Just a bunch of rich Aholes all pretending they are plain ole folks. If you didn't care about "perception" you wouldn't be looking at 4 million dollar properties.

As to your shithole description, even the most conservative areas have all of that, with the exception of the language part. Though some expensive places in CA can have Korean as the predominant language but they aren't exactly lefties.

Last edited:

But the worst, by FAR, are those that think they can buy land and get other people to do the work for them. They cannot be rehabilitated, neither can they keep their ego in check. It is best to avoid them so that you don't get screwed in the process of them auguring into the ground. I can go on about this type of life form forever. The selfishness combined with self-righteousness is amazing. Most people who want to move out in the country fit this profile and cannot seem to understand why everyone shuns them, never understanding that they are the new village idiot.

Hopefully you don't think that's us. We know hard work. It shouldn't be looked down upon if our hard work is paying off (seemed implied). I'm asking here so I don't visit the pitfalls, not the ones above, but others I've mentioned, and potentially others that I don't see - like what to expect of the Austin burbs I visited. Bee Cave, Lakeway, Dripping Springs developments were so poorly done that I was really surprised. Only someone with no soul, no character, no anchor, no integrity or purpose, would aspire to that life, call it Kardashianism - pretension of the dumbest. Everything is going to be a compromise, and I'm fine with that, as long as it's logical.

This is spot-on. Areas he visited in central Texas are definitely not shitholes. If urban sprawl = shithole, then yes - but some are quaint little Texas towns with an actual Main Street that isn't boarded up. 3-10M would get a lot of property (50+acres) w/ a modern 4000sqft home & pool in the Texas Hill Country. You'll be an hour drive from any Costco or mall, thats for sure.
Out here you could do that for WELL less than a million.

There is a 120 acre parcel for sale $145K.

I was told there is someone building an 8000sqft house with a helo pad to the east of me.

Reactions: impactaddict
I was very surprised at the price on this place given its proximity to Dallas.

John

216 S Florence St, Tioga
$550,000 · 4beds · 3.5baths

From the area it looks like it won't be all that long before that empty land is filled in with cookie cutter McMansions and looking like any other sub-division.

Hopefully you don't think that's us. We know hard work. It shouldn't be looked down upon if our hard work is paying off (seemed implied). I'm asking here so I don't visit the pitfalls, not the ones above, but others I've mentioned, and potentially others that I don't see - like what to expect of the Austin burbs I visited. Bee Cave, Lakeway, Dripping Springs developments were so poorly done that I was really surprised. Only someone with no soul, no character, no anchor, no integrity or purpose, would aspire to that life, call it Kardashianism - pretension of the dumbest. Everything is going to be a compromise, and I'm fine with that, as long as it's logical.
You misread the work comment, which does tell me that to some extent you don't know what I'm referring to. Let me say it another way: if you want to buy land to work and you haven't done it before, good luck, I sincerely and without spite wish you all the best. Just do it away from me. If you are indicating that because of your hard work you have the money to buy something you want then go for it, I have no issue with someone who finds the profitable work angle. Just don't do it anywhere near me and honestly somewhere in Oklahoma would be better. HOWEVER, if you are stating that through your hard work you are wanting a piece of the country with all the niceties and modern conveniences then you need to live in town and get Chip and Joanna to do your house in a western theme and be done with it. Buying land in the country isn't going to give you the social relationships I think you are still seeking, quite the opposite. People tend to talk to their neighbors infrequently and most are very happy like that. I have neighbors that I see once a year during the Christmas parade because we bump into each other, and that's good enough for us both unless something important needs to be discussed. Like some moron proposing a tax increase, then we call each other to be sure to be there to get that stopped. Others that are socially inclined should live around other people and leave the rest of us alone.

I try to be even-keeled on most things but I am admittedly a dick when it comes to this subject. I think like this about everyone until they prove themselves. Primarily because there are so many bad piece of shit transplants that don't care about who they impose themselves and their values on, they only care about what they want and how they want others to conform to what they want. Tractor running down the farm to market road? Fuck that! They are in the way. Cows are out in the road? Sue the owner, never mind that it is a free range county and he is old as water, the cows are his retirement fund and he needs help fixing his fences. Or think that its perfectly fine to let their dog roam the countryside and then wonder where it got the blood on its fur from and then why its gone the next day and never comes back. Shit like that. Never a thought of "how can I contribute to the community I am entering into", its more like "these fucked up rednecks need to be brought up to speed" while never realizing that many of these rednecks are highly educated with masters and PhDs that chose to come home and just be teachers or small business owners. IOW, the locals like it the way it is and don't need help fixing what isn't broken. Ever.

It such a high percentage like this I just prefer everyone stay away, take their bullshit morals somewhere else and let the rest of us live our lives as we see fit. I don't need any new politics, windfarms, cell towers, electric charging stations or property tax to support some socialist version of "school". This also goes for those native Texans who lived their whole lives in big cities but want me to live by their rules.

ETA: @Chickentoast , I'm sure youre not the type of person I am alluding to. I will admit there are some good eggs mixed in with the bad. But I stand by these comments as a general rule. The sad part is that those who read this and relfect on it will not be the ones it is directed at. Those who blow by it and think it doesnt pertain to them are the ones who will end up screwing up every community they live in.

Last edited:
You misread the work comment, which does tell me that to some extent you don't know what I'm referring to. Let me say it another way: if you want to buy land to work and you haven't done it before, good luck, I sincerely and without spite wish you all the best. Just do it away from me. If you are indicating that because of your hard work you have the money to buy something you want then go for it, I have no issue with someone who finds the profitable work angle. Just don't do it anywhere near me and honestly somewhere in Oklahoma would be better. HOWEVER, if you are stating that through your hard work you are wanting a piece of the country with all the niceties and modern conveniences then you need to live in town and get Chip and Joanna to do your house in a western theme and be done with it. Buying land in the country isn't going to give you the social relationships I think you are still seeking, quite the opposite. People tend to talk to their neighbors infrequently and most are very happy like that. I have neighbors that I see once a year during the Christmas parade because we bump into each other, and that's good enough for us both unless something important needs to be discussed. Like some moron proposing a tax increase, then we call each other to be sure to be there to get that stopped. Others that are socially inclined should live around other people.

I try to be even-keeled on most things but I am admittedly a dick when it comes to this subject. I think like this about everyone until they prove themselves. Primarily because there are so many bad piece of shit transplants that don't care about who they impose themselves and their values on, they only care about what they want and how they want others to conform to what they want. Tractor running down the farm to market road? Fuck that! They are in the way. Cows are out in the road? Sue the owner, never mind that it is a free range county and he is old as water and needs help fixing his fences. Or think that its perfectly fine to let their dog roam the countryside and then wonder where it got the blood on its fur from and why its gone the next day and never comes back. Shit like that. Never a thought of "how can I contribute to the community I am entering into", its more like "these fucked up rednecks need to be brought up to speed" while never realizing that many of these rednecks are highly educated with masters and PhDs that chose to come home and just be teachers or small business owners. IOW, the locals like it the way it is and don't need help fixing what isn't broken. Ever.

It such a high percentage like this I just prefer everyone stay away, take their bullshit morals somewhere else and let the rest of us live our lives as we see fit. I don't need any new politics, windfarms, cell towers, electric charging stations or property tax to support some socialist version of "school". This also goes for those native Texans who lived their whole lives in big cities but want me to live by their rules.

I didn't misread, I just didn't list our "qualifications" for your approval. You made a ton of assumptions, which are all wrong, and you put those assumptions through your perception and value system - and I understand why, but your tune would be entirely different if we hung out for a couple of weeks. So I'm inviting myself to your place :ROFLMAO: j/k, I know you'd shoot my Yankee ass if I approached.

You misread the work comment, which does tell me that to some extent you don't know what I'm referring to. Let me say it another way: if you want to buy land to work and you haven't done it before, good luck, I sincerely and without spite wish you all the best. Just do it away from me. If you are indicating that because of your hard work you have the money to buy something you want then go for it, I have no issue with someone who finds the profitable work angle. Just don't do it anywhere near me and honestly somewhere in Oklahoma would be better. HOWEVER, if you are stating that through your hard work you are wanting a piece of the country with all the niceties and modern conveniences then you need to live in town and get Chip and Joanna to do your house in a western theme and be done with it. Buying land in the country isn't going to give you the social relationships I think you are still seeking, quite the opposite. People tend to talk to their neighbors infrequently and most are very happy like that. I have neighbors that I see once a year during the Christmas parade because we bump into each other, and that's good enough for us both unless something important needs to be discussed. Like some moron proposing a tax increase, then we call each other to be sure to be there to get that stopped. Others that are socially inclined should live around other people and leave the rest of us alone.

I try to be even-keeled on most things but I am admittedly a dick when it comes to this subject. I think like this about everyone until they prove themselves. Primarily because there are so many bad piece of shit transplants that don't care about who they impose themselves and their values on, they only care about what they want and how they want others to conform to what they want. Tractor running down the farm to market road? Fuck that! They are in the way. Cows are out in the road? Sue the owner, never mind that it is a free range county and he is old as water, the cows are his retirement fund and he needs help fixing his fences. Or think that its perfectly fine to let their dog roam the countryside and then wonder where it got the blood on its fur from and then why its gone the next day and never comes back. Shit like that. Never a thought of "how can I contribute to the community I am entering into", its more like "these fucked up rednecks need to be brought up to speed" while never realizing that many of these rednecks are highly educated with masters and PhDs that chose to come home and just be teachers or small business owners. IOW, the locals like it the way it is and don't need help fixing what isn't broken. Ever.

Speaking of Chip and Joanna, I understand the old time residents of Waco weren't thrilled with what that show did to the property values (and thus property taxes) in their town.

I didn't misread, I just didn't list our "qualifications" for your approval. You made a ton of assumptions, which are all wrong, and you put those assumptions through your perception and value system - and I understand why, but your tune would be entirely different if we hung out for a couple of weeks. So I'm inviting myself to your place :ROFLMAO: j/k, I know you'd shoot my Yankee ass if I approached.
I'm not THAT bad. And it wasn't entirely directed at you (made an edit to my previous post before i saw this reply from you). But yeah, breaking bread does help. Thats something most people don't do any longer either.

I'm not THAT bad. And it wasn't entirely directed at you (made an edit to my previous post before i saw this reply from you). But yeah, breaking bread does help. Thats something most people don't do any longer either.

Mr Lariat, why did you shoot Chickentoast, he was carrying steaks and booze to your house!? Sir, it's not like that. Shit, I knew I should've bought the ZCO... you see, with the mirage and all, through that old scope of mine, I couldn't make out what he was carrying, and, well, being a Yankee and all...

• Haha
Reactions: lariat
Your place in AZ.
In that case, nope NEVER gonna be any neighbors to deal with. Almost all that land you see in the pictures is Arizona State Trust Land with a bit of BLM and County thrown in as well.. Which is land that can not be sold off or built on. Without knowing it when we bought, we got very lucky in that regard.

Now in the sense of being in the general area (hundred or so square miles) yes there are more neighbors out here lately, as almost all of the available land to the east of us has been bought up and we are seeing a lot more traffic going past us on the county road. Used to be maybe a dozen cars a day. Now I can see almost that many on the weekly 10 mile trip to town. As I mentioned in another post, at one point the Post Office ran out of PO Boxes.

There is a person that recently bought the property across the road from us who (after deciding to live somewhere else) is selling it to a friend of his on a payment plan but that might fall through after I informed said friend when I met him about the restrictions on where a septic can be placed on that parcel. The ranch manager (real nice guy) finally convinced the ranch owner to buy that one (if it becomes available) along with the other three parcels across from us to use for a fenced grazing area for cattle they want to keep segregated.

Which is why I told the couple that bought the 36 acres next to us, that getting that much empty was cheap even at $35K.

Last edited:
Is that mascot for real? If so it shows a serious dose of woke.

That map of red isn't all it seems. Despite all that red Trump only won TX by 6% which shows a lot of those red counties have TINY populations and are getting outvoted by the areas in and around the cities. It's just like CA, where despite the biggest part of the state land wise voting red, it is the smaller areas with their MUCH denser populations voting blue that control what goes on.

You have to know the history of the town to understand it…

There was an order of knights in the late middle ages known as the Order of the Unicorn. Unlike most orders, membership was not through a hereditary title, it had to be earned by valor in combat and then you still had to be invited in…sort of like winning a medal of honor, but membership to ‘the club’ had to be voted on by other medal of honor winners. Families with a member were then able to put a unicorn head on the family crest…a very big deal.

Members came from all over what is now known as Europe, and often would otherwise be from rival or even enemy states if they were not members of this order.

The founder of New Braunfels, a German prince, had an ancestor who was a member of this order of knights and therefore had the unicorn head as part of the family crest. And remember, this was in the early 1800s when it was still a badge of honor, valor and courage…not the rainbows and lollipops it somehow became over the past 150 years or so.

I blame My Little Pony…LOL

Mr Lariat, why did you shoot Chickentoast, he was carrying steaks and booze to your house!? Sir, it's not like that. Shit, I knew I should've bought the ZCO... you see, with the mirage and all, through that old scope of mine, I couldn't make out what he was carrying, and, well, being a Yankee and all...
Don't know about in TX but out here wandering up unannounced could end up with you at the point of a gun. Even the sheriff isn't allowed past a closed gate without a warrant or exigent circumstances. I was ready to pull mine on what turned out to be the census taker, when I came home from town and found a strange, ratty looking vehicle parked in front of my place with my wife home alone.

I actually did meet our closest neighbor (and new best friend) at the point of a gun. The night before we were going to view our place with the realtor I took my wife out to show her how dark it was. 29 Palms was dark but not DARK like here.

We couldn't get on property as gate was locked but we hung out for a bit on the county road. I ended up dropping a tire in the ditch and had a slight issue getting turned around so as we went to leave I got a flashlight in the face. I stopped and walked around front of the truck (with hands in air). I was asked who the F I was and what the F I was doing out there. After explaining and answering a few more questions the light came out of my face and the rifle went to the crook of his arm. We then proceeded to BS for so long his wife came out with her gun to make sure everything was copacetic. We were both ecstatic to find out neither of us were douchebag hipsters that moved out here for the country experience.

I was very surprised at the price on this place given its proximity to Dallas.

John

216 S Florence St, Tioga
$550,000 · 4beds · 3.5baths

Just noticed, almost $8K for property taxes. Which will only go UP as the value increases.

Not as bad as my brother's $15K in NJ though but a long way from the $800 (for house property and extra 36 acre parcel) I pay here.

Last edited:
Don't know about in TX but out here wandering up unannounced could end up with you at the point of a gun. Even the sheriff isn't allowed past a closed gate without a warrant or exigent circumstances. I was ready to pull mine on what turned out to be the census taker, when I came home from town and found a strange, ratty looking vehicle parked in front of my place with my wife home alone.

I actually did meet our closest neighbor (and new best friend) at the point of a gun. The night before we were going to view our place with the realtor I took my wife out to show her how dark it was. 29 Palms was dark but not DARK like here.

We couldn't get on property as gate was locked but we hung out for a bit on the county road. I ended up dropping a tire in the ditch and had a slight issue getting turned around so as we went to leave I got a flashlight in the face. I stopped and walked around front of the truck (with hands in air). I was asked who the F I was and what the F I was doing out there. After explaining and answering a few more questions the light came out of my face and the rifle went to the crook of his arm. We then proceeded to BS for so long his wife came out with her gun to make sure everything was copacetic. We were both ecstatic to find out neither of us were douchebag hipsters that moved out here for the country experience.

9b9735e8fc86ab95e6bd15085049213618dd0e83b63db0101e369c853c0c7876_1.jpg

If you really don't care about perceptions...120 acres

I never noticed before that this is actually just 6 miles up the county road from me. It also is a rare parcel that has access to electricity. I just bought a tax lien on a nearby parcel.

I will say the asking price has tripled from just a few years ago.

Last edited:
7E96FE43-0922-41B9-9651-C786B801BA1E.jpeg
@Chickentoast Not listed on any MLS I can find, but a horse ranch near me just popped up for sale.

Looks like one iption is to break it up into 1-3+ acre lots.

Nice location, though not very remote/private

Attachments

• 59CE0B49-C29B-4257-8AC2-0C271EE56792.jpeg
    59CE0B49-C29B-4257-8AC2-0C271EE56792.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 5EC9D55D-C1AF-4BE0-ACC2-9BDAF341B3C7.jpeg
    5EC9D55D-C1AF-4BE0-ACC2-9BDAF341B3C7.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 31
Central Tx is about ruined, Amazon ,Tesla Samsung are building here. Median house in austin 500,000.
100 acres farm land, plowed field, east of Taylor 40,000 an acre.
Be sure to get a place with ag exemption, or taxes will be horrible

Central Tx is about ruined, Amazon ,Tesla Samsung are building here. Median house in austin 500,000.
100 acres farm land, plowed field, east of Taylor 40,000 an acre.
Be sure to get a place with ag exemption, or taxes will be horrible

I've been watching it go up, was looking at 9+ acre parcels and houses now they went to the Moon.

Don't move to Westlake unless you're a high-tech multi-millionaire globalist. The only campaign signs the city of Westlake allows in your yard are Biden/Harris or some other commie fuckstain. Lakeway is nothing but swindlers, con artists and illegals across 620 in Apache Shores. If you were busted and done time for embezzlement or some other high profile crime but have a cigarette boat you will be popular in Lakeway.

Bee Caves is the mall, as you say. I live in Spicewood on Lake Travis and Opie's Barbeque is the main attraction. Lots f the usual methbillies and their subculture and drama. Dripping Springs is exploding with all kinds of new arrivals and there was a 65/35 ratio of Hillary signs in 2016. I call it Dripping Dick.

Further out in the Hill Country in Kerrville there's lots of rich di-vorcees. Fredericksburg is clean but those Germans are a closed loop unless you're family. Expensive too.

Opie's is average BBQ. I won't even stop there if I go to Mueller Buildings to pick up metal or on my way to the Lake LBJ. If I want BBQ, I go to Valentina's or take a drive to Snow's in Lexington or Louie Mueller's in Taylor.

As for moving to Austin, it is too late. Anyone who moves here now is in the post "Joe Rogan era" and going to get smashed on anything that is worth buying.

But if you have deep pockets you pick up a nice 44 acre ranch for 8.5 MIL. I drive by everyday taking my kids to school.

• Wow
Opie's is average BBQ. I won't even stop there if I go to Mueller Buildings to pick up metal or on my way to the Lake LBJ. If I want BBQ, I go to Valentina's or take a drive to Snow's in Lexington or Louie Mueller's in Taylor.

As for moving to Austin, it is too late. Anyone who moves here now is in the post "Joe Rogan era" and going to get smashed on anything that is worth buying.

But if you have deep pockets you pick up a nice 44 acre ranch for 8.5 MIL. I drive by everyday taking my kids to school.

It's All Good BBQ has the best ribs but like everything else, are now too expensive. 1/2 rack of Baby back ribs with two sides is $30.00. Thats just one meal, screw that. I'll smoke my own.

They're putting a 5K home subdivision in at 71&281 past Spicewood. They're going to need to put another light on 71 at 413 by Muellers if you want to head toward Austin. The traffic is already too crazy.

I know the property on Crumley Ranch Rd. I use to drive by it every day going to Fitzhugh Rd.

Last edited:
And, Norman Rockwell towns only exist in paintings. It’s like using a time machine to go back to the 50s and then being disappointed that you were lied to by reruns of My Three Sons…

Reactions: lariat
I would focus on any of the cool little towns between northern San Antonio and Lampasas. Lots of open (hill) country less humid than Houston/Woodlands and less mosquitos. Yes it is pricey but you should find something nice with your price range. Yes property taxes suck.
My hole is between Lampasas and Burnet , the 40 acres in lampasas property tax runs a massive $32 a year , burnet side runs slightly more for over 100 acres , full Ag exemption , what will fuck you is power overheads run 1k a pole at 350 to 400 feet between poles , from your nearest overheads, probably 6k for your meter , water is at around 500feet deep , and a well will run around 25k - you haven’t even cut a road yet ..... I should write a book - so you want to be a rancher

My hole is between Lampasas and Burnet , the 40 acres in lampasas property tax runs a massive $32 a year , burnet side runs slightly more for over 100 acres , full Ag exemption , what will fuck you is power overheads run 1k a pole at 350 to 400 feet between poles , from your nearest overheads, probably 6k for your meter , water is at around 500feet deep , and a well will run around 25k - you haven’t even cut a road yet ..... I should write a book - so you want to be a rancher
My pile of dirt is just a bit west of Adamsville. Ag Exempt (wildlife) tax is 125.00. Well was 340’ at just under 20k. Pole and meter just under 7k. It’s getting crazy out there.

Our friends have a place on Crumley Ranch - that's where we were going to board our horses until we found a place. The listing looks nice, but now having been there, not interested in Austin or Hill Country anymore, and certainly wouldn't give 8.5 for that. Going to check out Dallas, but I fear, as another person put it, we won't be finding Norman Rockwell anywhere, simply because the people I'm looking for don't exist anymore, at least not condensed in some small geographical area.

It's All Good BBQ has the best ribs but like everything else, are now too expensive. 1/2 rack of Baby back ribs with two sides is $30.00. Thats just one meal, screw that. I'll smoke my own.

They're putting a 5K home subdivision in at 71&281 past Spicewood. They're going to need to put another light on 71 at 413 by Muellers if you want to head toward Austin. The traffic is already too crazy.

I know the property on Crumley Ranch Rd. I use to drive by it every day going to Fitzhugh Rd.
Not sold on All Good BBQ. If you want ribs Terry Blacks & Valentina’s have great beef ribs. And they didn’t build the roads to accommodate this growth. The traffic on HPR from all these developments is awful. I smoked a set of rear tires in less than 20k pulling out on HPR. And I saw that new development at 71/281 when I recently headed to Hudsons to pick up my deer. I blame Joe Rogan. 11 MIL downloads an episode and all those people are wanting to come to Austin.

Our friends have a place on Crumley Ranch - that's where we were going to board our horses until we found a place. The listing looks nice, but now having been there, not interested in Austin or Hill Country anymore, and certainly wouldn't give 8.5 for that. Going to check out Dallas, but I fear, as another person put it, we won't be finding Norman Rockwell anywhere, simply because the people I'm looking for don't exist anymore, at least not condensed in some small geographical area.
This old Hill Country, Hamilton Pool Rd., Crumley Ranch Rd. all of central Texas is now flooded with people fleeing their overtaxed shitholes. It's ruined. The vacation retreat living and the reason I drove twenty-five miles one way to town is gone.

The Hamilton Pool corridor was really amazing till they decided to build thousands of homes and cut this place up like Southern California. But you can’t stop progress. I think you made a mistake seeing this place from a car window at 70 MPH but if I was coming to this part of Texas in 2022, I would shake my head too. Personally, not a fan of DFW. A few months ago I drove down to a cattle ranch south near Shiner called Augustus Ranch. I have been looking at land down there ever since.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
Sorry you had such a crummy trip (opie's excluded). Central Tx BBQ is legit. The urban sprawl of Austin and San Antonio makes it difficult for smaller towns in the hill country to have an identity. It is certainly much different now than when I grew up here (Seguin) in the 80's & 90's.

The wife and I made a trip to Fredricksberg this weekend to visit with some friends. They moved there from Austin (previously out of state) and now they say "it finally feels like we moved to Texas". I think thats accurate when compared to Austin. We had a good time, but everyone "out" was from out of town. I have a childhood friend raising a family out there - he loves it. He says it's quieter (on weekdays) and has much more of a small town feel.

We live out toward Driftwood and its getting too crowded for my liking. Wasn't this way when we moved here 10 years ago. I was just looking at some property around the Comfot/Fredricksberg area. Acreage, undeveloped... Its a pipe dream now, because I don't have the wife on board, but maybe one day!

Have you considered the area of Texas between Houston and Austin. Brenham, Rockdale, etc. There is a monthly PRS match in Navasota and I swear, its some of the prettiest land in Texas. I believe Chuck Norris lives out there somewhere. Good luck on your search and keep us posted!!!
I attended a wedding at the little church in Driftwood not long ago. Until the mid 60's, our family owned Friday Mountain Ranch on Camp Ben McCollough Rd.

I cut through there recently on the way back from Buda and didn't know where I was, all the natural landmarks were obliterated with CVS Pharmacies, convenient stores and other development.

This old Hill Country, Hamilton Pool Rd., Crumley Ranch Rd. all of central Texas is now flooded with people fleeing their overtaxed shitholes. It's ruined. The vacation retreat living and the reason I drove twenty-five miles one way to town is gone.
My 92 year old neighbor said a few good hot Texas summers tends to drive away the pretenders.