• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best bang for the buck in 308 semi

Re: best bang for the buck in 308 semi

The current bang for the buck build I have going is:

TM308 Lower = 175
DPMS LPK = 60
Troy Handguards = 205
Fulton 16" barrel + gas block = 305
DPMS upper = 165
DPMS BCG = 150 (local shop sale)
Magpul ACS = 130

I have some of the above + other little needed parts, rest is in the mail. Haven't ordered the handguards yet, I don't need 4 rails but I wanted it to look somewhat like a poor man's SR25 EMC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NEW SHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone here have any thoughts on the Les Baer ? </div></div>

I'm shooting an 18" Les Baer Monolith; its pretty much become my go to for fun rifle. I have a busted shoulder so I set it up with Les' integral brake, added an Atlas instead of the Versa Pod that comes with it and topped it off with an NXS 5.5X22X50 scope.

The rifle is an absolute hoot. Fit and finish are fabulous, the PRS stock balances it perfectly and it shoots like a laser. It will shoot sub .5MOA groups all day long with match ammo (mine likes 175gr FGMM as well as Hornady TAP 168s). Les makes virtually everything on the rifle (except the Geiselle two stage trigger, some small parts) and it shows.

I admit to a bias: Les is an old friend and has been building me carry and competition weapons for more than 25yrs. Nevertheless I think its fair to say he makes great stuff. Others certainly do as well and I don't have any stake in the "mine is better (or less expensive) than yours" cat fights. I do think you'd enjoy one.

As an aside, he makes several variants of the .308: a match rifle, a varmint style, and the Monolith. He'll also mix and match components from one to another (such as triggers). Take a look at the web site or give him a buzz.

Hope this helps.

You all got me leaning towards a build.

Plus I can piecemeal the project and just maybe my wife won't notice - yeh right ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conrad101st</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You all got me leaning towards a build.

Plus I can piecemeal the project and just maybe my wife won't notice - yeh right ;-) </div></div>

I'll let you know how my project goes, should be all done in a week and a half unless parts get lost in the mail or something.

My choice would be LMT MWS or Larue OBR. Slight advantage to lmt for the price.
now, if KAC could sell the SR25EMC upper...

kacemcarbinei.jpg

Well after handling the POF, OBR, Repr & LMT, I bought the LMT on site. Like it's feel so much better for my hands and build. Trigger is slick. I played with it for an hour in the store moving ,prone, over counter supported.

Uber stoked.

Going to put my Leupold 1.5x5 VXIII on it for now since I'm not using my cape buffalo gun often.

It's gonna be my clone war gun, varmint gun, farm gun. Only trip it won't go on is elk. Sako Finnlight in 300 win mag is still the backpacking gun.

Thanks for all the help and insight!

I got the OBR in 16" and love it, I shot the REPR in 12" and 20" and have to say all are great guns. Money well spent on both OBR or LWRC.

not the best bang for the buck at all, but an SR 25 EMC is not a bad choice.....

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6151.jpg

Your stoner sure looks nice. How are you liking the forward Magpul slant grip?

I'm kind of in the same boat as I'd like a semi .308 also. However along with accuracy I put a premium on the company's customer service record. Now I'm not bashing Noveske, KAC, Armalite, etc. but I know how EDM Arms and GAP work with their customers. That is why I am currently shopping around for a used EDM VR-10 or a GAP-10.

Call Jim at Predator Custom shop and don't look back.
JCL_0095.jpg

2010-12-17_19-40-40_113.jpg

2010-12-17_19-40-17_866.jpg

2010-12-15_17-21-27_927.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not the best bang for the buck at all, but an SR 25 EMC is not a bad choice.....
</div></div>

If that's your rifle you have way more $$$$$ to spend than I do...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not the best bang for the buck at all, but an SR 25 EMC is not a bad choice.....
</div></div>

If that's your rifle you have way more $$$$$ to spend than I do. </div></div>

What makes the SR-25 so much better than other rifles, other than the name and the fact that our military uses them? What makes it better (justifies the price) than a POF, LWRC, LaRue, etc.?