• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Best caliber for big game

Retterath

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
South Dakota
I do a lot of mule deer ,whitetail, antelope and elk hunting and I'm trying to find the best caliber that will work for me, I do a lot of long range hunting. Right now I have a custom 300 rum that is a hammer, very accurate but to heavy for me to be carrying up big ravines,butes and mountains, it has a break on it and on my new build I'm going with out a break and I'm trying to get some advice on another caliber that would suit me for those big game animals and any advice on what parts I could order that would put me into a lighter rifle. Right now my rum weighs 12.7 lbs thanks for any advice

Re: Best caliber for big game

If you want a straight up hunting rifle there's any number of folks on this site that could build you a good one. If you are going no brake and want to go small and half way enjoy shooting it go with the 300 WM or less if you prefer but it has more than enough to do what most people need and then some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retterath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do a lot of mule deer ,whitetail, antelope and elk hunting and I'm trying to find the best caliber that will work for me, I do a lot of long range hunting. Right now I have a custom 300 rum that is a hammer, very accurate but to heavy for me to be carrying up big ravines,butes and mountains, it has a break on it and on my new build I'm going with out a break and I'm trying to get some advice on another caliber that would suit me for those big game animals and any advice on what parts I could order that would put me into a lighter rifle. Right now my rum weighs 12.7 lbs thanks for any advice </div></div>

First of all it's a brake and not a break. By the way, I think you're wise to go without one on your next build.

You don't mention what you consider "long range." Some would consider long range 200 yards and some 500 yards or further. Anyway, the 300 RUM really isn't that far ahead of the 300 Weatherby Magnum and 300 Winchester Magnum ballistically both of which should give you reasonable long range performance on the big game animals you specified.

I think it's kind of a myth that felt recoil is a lot worse with a light rifle. There are some gun builders that could put together a 300 Win. Mag. or 300 Roy together for you that would weigh in the 6 to 7 lb. range. My guns chambered for those cartridges are an Encore and a Blaser R 93 respectively which weigh a little more than that but quite a bit less than your rifle.

My heavy hitter is a stout 300 WM.
My lighter weight rifle is a 7x57.
Even lighter rifle is 250 - 3000.
All nail drivers.

Simple answer is the rifle you shoot the best.

Not just shooting, but shooting after you humped it all day.

I have some dern nice shooting rifles, but quite heavy. If I pull them from the truck, lay down and shoot, I do ok. If I packed them over hill and dale, top a ridge and try to shoot an antelope, not so good.

I'm old and wimpy any more. In hunting conditions I shoot my Model 70 Featherweights the best, 257 Rbts for deer and antelope and 270 Win for Elk.

I have hunted most parts of Wyoming except the sw portion & due to the incessant winds there I lean towards the 300 WM in order to better buck the winds. That's just me though.
relentless

I like the Nosler Trophy Grade in 280 Ackley
light profile barrel and it runs 6.75lbs, tack driver and moderate recoil. Carry's well and has plenty of guts for anything in North America.

If you reload, I am continually intrigued by the 280ai. Good brass available, huge bullet selection, and you can load it to suit your needs depending on game. Recoil shouldn't be too much and it will have really good ballistics and down range energy. The down side is not much of a following in the factory loaded ammo world.

If you don't reload, it is hard to go wrong with a 30-06. It is one of those calibers that seem to be timeless. Seems like every hunter has had that one 30-06 at some time that just flat out got the job done. It should handle most any game that you will find in the states and ammo is everywhere for it

You could also go with a 7mm Rem. Not much more recoil than a '06, easily available store bought ammo, and great ballistics.

I consider 500 + yards is longrangehunting to me. I'm going to try to build a 7 and half pound gun not including a scope, I'm considering a 7 wsm any thoughts on that I would plan on shooting it 500+ yards if needed to.

I hunt everything up here with my various 6.5`s, just limiting my shots on elk or moose to 500yds. When I am deliberatly targeting elk and moose I carry my .325WSM. If I was to build a long range rig one of the 7mm mags would be on the list.

I just built a lighter weight 300wm for an elk hunt. I put together a rem 700 with fluted barrel and tactical knob, trigger job and bedded it a B&C alaskan ti stock and topped it with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 scope with rapid z-800 reticle on lightweight 20 moa base and tps rings. Total package weighed 9 lbs and 2 ounces and after some load development, I found a load that would shoot 1/2 moa at 500 with it. I think 300wm is hard to beat in north america myself.

tlsmith22, my elk rifle is same as yours except my stock is Mcmillan. Same scope as yours too. Good choice IMO.
relentless

.280 AI if you load your own ammo.

.280 Rem or 7mm-08 if you do not.

kraigWY said:
Simple answer is the rifle you shoot best quotye]

I agree ...shot placement is a big factor ....I've seen white tail deer taken down with 223 with no problem at a decent distance. Also now your limitations. I don't normally Shoot anything over 200 yards away..... not that I can't its just that I rather have a certain comfort zone and 200 yards for me is where in good and most feeders arent that far anyways