• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

best carbon remover?

My vote is bore tech c4, though I haven’t used KG. I’ve left steel muzzle brakes and aluminum suppressor baffles soaking in it for over a week with no negative effects on the parts. Why a week? Forgot and left town for work. Parts get CLEAN.

KG and Boretech are both good products and you'll find a lot of support for each one.

I like brake cleaner if I can use it. If not, Boretech is fucking silly at removing carbon. It's just that I can 25 big ass cans of O'Reilly's brake cleaner for one small bottle of Boretech.

Is this for cleaning out a rifle bore? If so, I really like Pro-Shot Copper Solvent IV. Been working great for 20 years.

If you're cleaning carbon off muzzle devices, gun parts, or something made of steel, I recommend an ultrasonic cleaner with Purple Power. It works awesome for suppressor baffles and BCG's and bolts.

Or if you want to keep it attached to the gun (or if it's made of a softer metal like aluminum or titanium)...Use Dawn dish soap in warm water, and a bronze brush. 👍🏼

brake cleaner and your hand

no need to get ridiculous or spend ridiculously

Reactions: FuhQ
Safety Data Sheet

1.1 Product identifier
Trade name:
KG-1 Carbon Remover
1.2 Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
Product use: Removal and or Clean-up of Copper

K615HTD-822-15l-laboratory-ultrasonic-bath.jpg

...and a capful of Purple Zep.

Reactions: acudaowner
Safety Data Sheet

1.1 Product identifier
Trade name:
KG-1 Carbon Remover
1.2 Relevant identified uses of the substance or mixture and uses advised against
Product use: Removal and or Clean-up of Copper
SDS is incorrect...KG-12 is the copper remover. I told them this a couple of years ago. They still evidently have not changed it

I use Johnson/Evinrude engine tuner to clean suppressed AR’s.
It’s a foam. Spray it on, let it sit a few minutes, carbon wipes off with a rag.
D84357DF-4DB1-40EB-A2BE-73DA66E19BFA.jpeg

Reactions: Hkmiller
got the copper deal covered. i refer to carbon only here-carbon ring at throat build up on AR uppers etc. tx for feedback

Careful with the CLR. Frank Green of Bartlein barrels has a rather contrarian view (supported with evidence) of CLR.

Reactions: klf and sakobob
Careful with the CLR. Frank Green of Bartlein barrels has a rather contrarian view (supported with evidence) of CLR.

He should arm wrestle Erik Cortina to decide who is correct about CLR 🤣

He should arm wrestle Erik Cortina to decide who is correct about CLR 🤣
It is said that amateurs spend time to save money, and professionals spend money to save time.

If you are Cortina and have a wall full of barrels that are consumable items and need to get a barrel clean right now because there aren’t enough hours in a day, then Cortina is right. The damage caused by using CLR, over the useful life of a high-level bench-rest barrel may be within the noise of the other causes of barrel death.

But, if you are Frank Green and your primary concern is that every customer has the best possible experience with your barrels, and any unnecessary cause of accuracy degradation is unacceptable, and you have actual evidence and observations that CLR can cause such damage, then you are right.

The real question is, which one are you?

Reactions: Baron23
It is said that amateurs spend time to save money, and professionals spend money to save time.

If you are Cortina and have a wall full of barrels that are consumable items and need to get a barrel clean right now because there aren’t enough hours in a day, then Cortina is right. The damage caused by using CLR, over the useful life of a high-level bench-rest barrel may be within the noise of the other causes of barrel death.

But, if you are Frank Green and your primary concern is that every customer has the best possible experience with your barrels, and any unnecessary cause of accuracy degradation is unacceptable, and you have actual evidence and observations that CLR can cause such damage, then you are right.

The real question is, which one are you?

Just a poor amateur under time constraints that uses CLR

Last edited:
Reactions: larryh128
I put a healthy shot of acetone in my home brew Ed’s Red. I think the ATF is key, but I’m pretty sure the acetone is what starts loosening up carbon on contact.

I have and use both BoreTech & KG; of the two KG does seem to get the job done sooner and with less effort.

To make real quick work of carbon I use iosso paste... but then again it is an abrassive.

will put off abrasives unless a real problem develops. used them back in 70s when all else we had was #9,marvel oil and household ammonia if careful and desparate.

Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner.
It’s what it does.

CLR is phosphoric acid.
Rather drastic. There are better ways then putting an aggressive acid in your bore.