• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best ''cheap'' scope

freezingduck

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Norway
So i need a scope for my mauser hunting rifle, and i thougt that i might as well order a couple of scopes when i was ordering.
I don't wish to put to much money into the scope, somewhere between 300 and 500 dollars.
I was looking at the millet 4-16x50 at opticsplanet for 305 dollars.
Some of you guys have had some bad experience with millet, i can see from other posts, but i don't know of many good alternatives.
A friend recommended the vortex line, but in that case which model???¨
its for a 30-06 mauser m98 built to be a hunting project.
Thinking of putting a fajen rifle stock on it and cutting the barrel to 22'' or something like that;)

Re: Best ''cheap'' scope

Personally, I'd go with a Monarch in that price range. 4-16x42SF with Mil Dot to be exact.

The Vortex Vipers are the line you want to check out in that price range. They aren't too shabby either.

Sorry, no personal experience with a Millet and not a brand scope I've noticed at range I shoot regularly.

You might want to check www.natchezss.com for a 3-15x42 SF Weaver Super Slam with a dual X reticle. This scope retailed for about $700, sale price of $330 at Natchez...with $50 rebate, brings price to $280 (plus shipping). Japanese made, excellent optics and pullup target type turrets. Have one of these under Nitrex by Weaver label and its a scope thats impressed anyone who has checked mine out and viewed thru it. Only gripe about these scopes, dispite its kinda shorter length, (you might need extension rings/mounts on a Savage for example) on heavy side and not a scope you'd want on a light carry rifle

Another hit for the Viper. 6.5-20x44 or x50, pre-PST. They come in BDC (which matches the turret), mildot, plex, etc. Can be had used for $350 or so.

Viper1

Same series only 3.5-10x50 non PA

And yet another.

Plus if you post in the WTB section, someone will most likely reply with one for sale.

I'm a huge fan of Vortex. Wonderful people. The original series of Viper was made in the PI. Some of the later models are made in Japan IIRC. Outstanding customer service. The glass is clear and repeatable. By one used and you'll get twice the scope for half of what you want to spend, make your money back if you want to upgrade.

I have two of the small Vipers 2-7x32 w/BDC. One on my son's AR and the other on an air rifle. Perfect for their application.

004.jpg

Paul

Burris Fullfield II is the best scope out there for the money. You can compare all the brands, they will collect light and be brighter then brands costing twice as much even the other big names. Take a look on their web ,there are many options in that line. I know of many people who have them, they all say the same. The good part...you will have money left over depending on the Model you choose.

In my experience of trying to find the right features at the lowest cost, I've learned that spending the absolute most you can afford leaves you with the most. If you have $500...... looking at two scopes with mostly the same features, one costing $300 and $500 for the other, I'd simply get the $500 optic. They usually all fail to some extent under the $500 range, but how bad/soon depends on how much over the $300 mark that I've spent. Of course a good warranty doesn't hurt, but I hate to have to actually use one.
Again, this is in my experience and if you happen upon the awesome invincible $300 optic, I'm all ears.

I have a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot that has been great. Holds zero after bouncing around the truck for weeks on end and tracks dead on. Glass is good for the price range too, I have no problem seeing animals 30 minutes after sunset (I do have to keep the power below 10 or so) which is the end of legal shooting time here.

I don't know what features you are looking for in the scope but if its purely for hunting I would seriously consider anything from the Meopta range. Very well built and the glass is incredible, especially in low light conditions.

I got a falcon menis 4-14x50 and it was around 350 400 and I have had great luck out of it. Only problem with it is its heavy.

The Millet 4-16 is a very large and heavy scope, and too much power for most hunting purposes, except a dedicated Varmint rifle.

For general hunting I like to keep things simple. You might consider a Burris, a Leupold FX, or a Redfield, it's an excellent hunting scope for the money.

TC