• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Chronograph out there?

Not happy with the labradar as it just seems to be too quirky, even with the external trigger it is very inconsistent in performance. Any suggestions?
I'm looking at magnetospeed, but not sure how it will do with tbac 338 ultra. A reliable chrono is sorely needed, so any guidance would really help me.
Are you shooting it with a muzzle brake? They don’t like been in front of muzzle.

Ok. I just gotta ask. What is the purpose of the baffling? Noise reduction? New to a lot of this. Thanks.
Sound containment, but mainly to protect accidental discharges and poor barrel control bullets from exiting the range. Can't fire without hitting the berm behind targets or the baffles overhead.....no open area to permit a round from going over the berm.

Not happy with the labradar as it just seems to be too quirky, even with the external trigger it is very inconsistent in performance. Any suggestions?
I'm looking at magnetospeed, but not sure how it will do with tbac 338 ultra. A reliable chrono is sorely needed, so any guidance would really help me.
Sighting the LabRadar has been an issue. I recently bought a device called Longer Labradar Sight Mount on EBAY from sights1968. Attaches to top of LabRadar via a longer top center bolt (provided), Provides a picatinny rail for mounting spotting device....cheap scope, red dot, etc. Newest version has a sighting hole....ala the straw technique....molded into the base. Two versions: long has 7 picatinny grooves, eight ribs. Short has, I believe 3 less ribs. Cost about under $15 and $17, as I recall. Really improved sighting function. Item is 3D printed plastic, which is sufficient for application. Fit, finish was very good on mine. Also, bought the JKL Precision trigger with great results, as suggested by SS GO DEVIL at comment #37 above. Never cared for the MagnetoSpeed...aka MagnetoMacGyver. Have had great success with the LabRadar. Data handling is clumsy as covered in other threads.

1616640926439.png

Reactions: Ledzep and 6.5SH
Sighting the LabRadar has been an issue. I recently bought a device called Longer Labradar Sight Mount on EBAY from sights1968. Attaches to top of LabRadar via a longer top center bolt (provided), Provides a picatinny rail for mounting spotting device....cheap scope, red dot, etc. Newest version has a sighting hole....ala the straw technique....molded into the base. Two versions: long has 7 picatinny grooves, eight ribs. Short has, I believe 3 less ribs. Cost about under $15 and $17, as I recall. Really improved sighting function. Item is 3D printed plastic, which is sufficient for application. Fit, finish was very good on mine. Also, bought the JKL Precision trigger with great results, as suggested by SS GO DEVIL at comment #37 above. Never cared for the MagnetoSpeed...aka MagnetoMacGyver. Have had great success with the LabRadar. Data handling is clumsy as covered in other threads.

View attachment 7589975
That's cool and reasonably priced. Thanks for sharing that and where to find it.

EDIT:
Just saw this in related items, another inexpensive "quad pod" mount for shooting under the radar.

Yikes! I'd say you need the Wiser adapter or something similar to get the bayonet out in front.
Thanks for the suggestion!!! Already googled them to see what they were about, now need to uncase the Big Boy and figure out what might work. Old fashioned chronographs would do it I suppose but hate the idea of all the trouble of setting them up and aligning them with the trajectory. Maybe just keep it handy when shooting until someone shows up with a radar?

Appreciate it!

I found with mine if I had it on a table the vibration of the shot would move it enough to be out of focus for tracking. I went to a tripod. I do not have the external trigger yet. I use trigger level 1 and usually 6in. I have comps on everything and some blow back. For those I move the labradar further back so the blast blows past. In some cases I have to put a metal ammo can between the comp and the labradar. Also keep the labradar as close to straight behind the bullet path as possible. For me this means turning the table or bench so the labradar can be right close. I use a metal tube about straw size to aim it. Don't tape it to the groove because it is unlikely you'll make it straight enough. I just hold it in the groove with my fingers and then adjust the tripod head to make it good. Today there was a lot of wind and I found that a strong gust would turn the labradar enough so it was not tracking. Adjusting for every shot was necessary. PITA. I like the labradar when it works because of the data. Resist the urge to frisbee it. I have a MagnetoSpeed but it is on an ARCA rail setup and I don't have ARCA on everything. The MagnetoSpeed has never failed to work perfectly where I can use it. I need to figure out to put it on a lever gun.

Here is my 2c. I have and use LR for the past 2y almost. I'm happy with it when I set it up correctly. What I found out is that instead of positioning LR right next to my rifle I have that tripod that they sell. I raise the legs of that tripod so that LR is actually slightly higher then the rifle with the bipod. Even if I have the LR 10-12" to the right or left of the rifle it does read correctly. Sometime when it does not I adjust upward or downward positional direction of LR. If by accident I set it up too high it will not read so just small slight angle up/down of the main body of LR will be enough and I'm GTG.

I did a catch and release on the Labradar... I do feel like the Labradar is probably the highest tech chrono out there, but it can be a real pain in the ass, for me it just didn't work out. IMO it's probably best suited to someone who has their own land to shoot on or has a place to shoot that isn't very busy so they can use it to it's full potential and play with it when they need to in order to get it to work.

I wanted to be able to just set it up quick when I got to the range and shoot as if it wasn't there, then be able to take a look at what was going on with velocities when I felt like it or if something seemed wonky. I never could make that happen, I sometimes spent more time dicking around with the Labradar than shooting.

IDK if it was actually better than the old crappy Caldwell chrono I had before for me.

Plus, at the end of the day, I don't really need or care about having all that data... some guys like to nerd out on that shit, but I don't. I really just use a chrono for load workup now anyways, and then just use the truing feature in Strelok Pro if I need to.

I've been borrowing a friend's Magnetospeed Sportster now and then since getting rid of the Labradar and think for someone like me who just really needs MV's now and then, and then something for load workup, it's fine. I don't care about it changing POI because I only attach it for capturing speeds then take it off.

I think I'm going to buy a Competition Electronics Prochrono DLX? ...the reviews I've seen on it are all pretty good, and even going "old school", setup will probably be less dicking around than I regularly did with the Labradar, and unlike the Magnetospeed I can use it with my pistols too.

Sold the LR years ago and bought the MS - never looked back. I was tired of missing data during load development. For example, it would capture shots 1-3, miss 4 & 5, then capture 6-10. Even after talking to LR owner/tech on the phone the problem persisted. I found myself always borrowing a friends MS when I needed to get data. Someone mentioned you can sell your LR on the PX in a hurry, I would take that deal and buy MS.

Reactions: viking78
Magneto Speed and a mount so you do not have to strap it to the barrel. If your gun is not set up to use and external mount no worries strap it to barrel gather chrono data and take it off for group confirmation. I went lab radar route and it missed too many shots. I was extremely confident in my labradar set up fire a string of 10 shots and 1-2 shots of every string it wouldn't record. This is being fired without breaking position and at same point of aim. Battled it for a month or so and sold it. Magneto speed has missed less than 5 shots with thousands of rounds fired over it. I can confirm missed shots were due to bayonet loosening up Ie. User error.

Reactions: Aftermath
Optical chronographs are very prone to inaccurate readings for a host of reasons. You need accurate velocities to predict POI, plus they are a pain to setup. With very few exceptions optical chronographs are not an option to consider anymore.

The Magnetospeed is accurate, reliable, and simple! You can carry it in your pack wherever you go, to check velocities where you are at, with any ammunition you may have picked up along the way. In my opinion this is a must have piece of equipment. This is why it is carried by our snipers deployed all over the world.

Lab Radar is an accurate data gathering instrument, however it is not as simple to get working correctly, not as capable of carrying in your pack, and is a bit pricey. If you need to have more data, have the extra cash, and don't mind working with temperamental high tech devices get Lab Radar too.

Reactions: Lite
I had Labradr too, with the mic.
Total s..t
I hated it, and i sold it.
It is the EU version, where the dobler is cut to 50%.
So if you guys have problems in US with LAB, you might guess the problems in this side of ocean.
I was about to buy the trigger system, but no one from US would shipped it to EU.
So good buy LAB.
Magnetospeed is not on the question list, is it any good?
I use suppressors on all my rifles.

I contacted oehler about the 4’ bar it came with and they said the most accurate way to use it was to have the first screen 10’ from the muzzle and use a 10’ bar for the screens and that the 1st and 3rd screen needs to be EXACTLY 10” ft apart and the middle screen EXACTLY centered between them. Working on that now.

I've got SOME GOOD NEWS.

I spoke with the man at JKL ( I believe his name is Joel). Really nice guy who gave me some troubleshooting advice. His trigger is absolutely working as I can see the orange light on the LR change with every tap I did with my finger. That showed that it was working. He also suggested shooting at closer range to the target and moving the trigger back toward the mag well. We went thru the menu on the LR.
I also spoke with a guy at LR who was very helpful and suggested that I try shooting 22lr. Everything worked fine as I sighted using a primer loading tube (this really narrowed my fov for sighting), shooting 5 rounds with all being recorded. My next step was to take the MRAD with the 30 cal. muzzle brake and 6.5 Creedmore ammo.
I placed the RL about 1ft forward and 6" to the side of the muzzle brake. All 5 shots recorded perfectly. This is now looking good.
Next, I will try 300WM and 338 LM when I can change out barrels. I'll let you know how it goes.

Damn, now I have clean the barrels. Isn't that what wives are for? ;)

Reactions: Baron23 and 6.5SH
I had Labradr too, with the mic.
Total s..t
I hated it, and i sold it.
It is the EU version, where the dobler is cut to 50%.
So if you guys have problems in US with LAB, you might guess the problems in this side of ocean.
I was about to buy the trigger system, but no one from US would shipped it to EU.
So good buy LAB.
Magnetospeed is not on the question list, is it any good?
I use suppressors on all my rifles.
They’re great. I use mine with suppressors, muzzle brakes, and bare muzzles. No issues whatsoever.

MS and don't worry about the POI. After all, you are looking for FPS not POI. I use my MS basically twice during load development. The first time is during the first bunch of rounds down the tube, I find just where I will run into pressure with a given combination of components. Then I take it off and start working up an accurate load and don't worry much about FPS. Once I have a real accurate load figured out, I strap the MS back on and do a velocity check, note the SD, ES and write that down for posterity. I've used mine with and sans cans (Gemtech Outback, TBAC Ultra 7, TBAC Ultra 9) with zero issue, ever.
My buddy had a Labradar but he kept getting readings from shooters nearby or it wouldn't trigger when it should. I'm sure there was some settings or tweaking he could have done but in the end he just sold it and bought a Magneto Speed because of his experiences with mine while right next to his Labradar. I like the idea of nothing on the barrel. If you are lucky enough to be able to shoot alone, I think they are the way to go. I have LOTS of country where I can go shoot with no one within miles but the range I go to most often for load development and such always has other shooters and sometimes every table has at least one shooter or 2 taking turns. The MS never picks up a shot taken by the guys next to me. Mine is the V3.

I used and still have this discontinued model for over 15 years. It does have the 1% advertised accuracy and works just fine. The trick with this design is to cover the sensors with clear packing tape to simulate a cloudy day. I do prefer the Magneto sporter model just because it is quicker to set up. 90% of the population don't need to break the bank on a Chrono. They get you in the ballpark then you end up validating down range anyway. Especially, when almost all your shooting is at known distance all the freaking time.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re great. I use mine with suppressors, muzzle brakes, and bare muzzles. No issues whatsoever.

Bare muzzles. I like that. You guys are a real piece of work with your suppressors and especially brakes on pea shooters.

Reactions: chase723
Y'all sell me your worthless no good Labradars...I could use a spare or two.
PM Me and I'll take em off your hands!

• Haha
Reactions: 6.5SH
I have a LR and like it a lot. I use the power bank they sell but I do use a longer USB cable and leave the power bank on the bench or mat as I have had that velcro they supply give way and bend the connector on the short USB cable (and luckily did not damage the female connector in the unit)

I do shoot at a club where we have baffles....and yes, they are there to keep some idiot from launching one into the next county....but they are wood. I'm sure metal baffles would create huge issues for a Doppler radar system but I have never been to a club with metal baffles.

When the range is a bit crowded, I will pick up some shots from other shooters....this is readily apparent by the huge ES and when you look thru the shots its very clear which are erroneous and I just delete them from the data set.

I do have the MK Machining sight installed and its very helpful and frankly I have not found the need for anything more complex.

Cheers

Me and my friends had no luck.
Like i writed, i am from Europe.
Some dick head in some agency has wanted to cut the radar power -50% in this side of the pond, so if you are not from EU area, please.

Me and my friends had no luck.
Like i writed, i am from Europe.
Some dick head in some agency has wanted to cut the radar power -50% in this side of the pond, so if you are not from EU area, please.
I thought you were wondering about if the Magnetospeed worked with suppressors. If that’s the case, yes it absolutely does. I don’t use a Labrador because of all the issues that people have mentioned and I have seen a couple times when my friends have used them.

Reactions: viking78
I thought you were wondering about if the Magnetospeed worked with suppressors. If that’s the case, yes it absolutely does. I don’t use a Labrador because of all the issues that people have mentioned and I have seen a couple times when my friends have used them.
It took measuring 1 or 2 shots out of 5, no matter what we tryed.
Position etc, no luck.
Never go back to LR.

Reactions: chase723
It took measuring 1 or 2 shots out of 5, no matter what we tryed.
Position etc, no luck.
Never go back to LR.
ID-10T user error.

I use mine with suppressed for 95% of my shooting and I’ve never had it not pick up a shot unless i didn’t re aim it when switching targets

This debate always cracks me up.
On one side we have the labradar fan bois saying its the best if you buy a sight, an aftermarket trigger, and a battery pack and dont use it on windy days.
On the other side you have the magnetospeed fan bois saying they are the best after you buy a $100 mount to move it off the barrel. "POI doesnt really matter you only need velocities!"

Both sides always end up trying to insult the other to justify their purchases.

I have owned all 3 styles of chronographs: Caldweld, Magnetospeed (sporter), and Labradar. I now only own the Caldweld and Labradar. These are my applications and how I rate them:

Best overall use: Labradar for any serious load testings. I have my LR running 99% of the time whenever I'm on the rifle bench, even when not testing reloads. It's set and forget so why not.

Best for rifle: Labradar (see above).

Best for pistol: Caldweld. Velocity is my main objective when testing pistol loads. Due to this, I just have to worry about my bullets hitting the berm. No lining up with the target required.

Best for features: Labradar by a mile.

Best for ease of transportation: Magnetospeed Sporter. It simply fits in my range bag. No tripod or huge case to carry around.

Best for ease of setup: Labradar and Caldweld. If testing pistol for velocity, Caldweld is the easiest to setup by a mile. For any serious testing that requires on-target accuracy, the Labradar sees 100% of the workload.

The Labradar is one of my most-used shooting tools. Like others have mentioned, investing in an external trigger source for the Labradar is a game-changer; a must have IMO.

Last edited:
ID-10T user error.

I use mine with suppressed for 95% of my shooting and I’ve never had it not pick up a shot unless i didn’t re aim it when switching targets
Yes, but you are from US, and in Europe that LR has dropped -50% power on the radar, it does not work as good the US model.

Have you ever had any velocity issues when shooting long ranges? The Caldwell I used was off by like 100fps. So when shooting long ranges the impact was off. I never noticed it at first when shooting 200yards and in. I agree with you though. It always worked and was a great price.

Sounds like a waste of $120 to me. What good is a chrono that is off by 100 fps? I can guess a velocity and be more accurate then that.

I'm not sure what the point of having a chrono that is off by 100 fps is. That information is literally of zero value.

Sounds like a waste of $120 to me. What good is a chrono that is off by 100 fps? I can guess a velocity and be more accurate then that.

I'm not sure what the point of having a chrono that is off by 100 fps is. That information is literally of zero value.
I agree with you. That why I bought a magneto and we set shot the Caldwell

Reactions: kthomas
I did try out the LR this weekend with 338LM. It is now working perfectly. Glad I made this post and tried again. +++ to all of you for the help.

Reactions: 6.5SH
New Guy so don't shoot me! Have you ever tried a carpenters square for aiming? Just put long side on barrel and make sure the labradar is 90 degrees. Works for me.

New Guy so don't shoot me! Have you ever tried a carpenters square for aiming? Just put long side on barrel and make sure the labradar is 90 degrees. Works for me.
Yes, cheap plastic speed square works and is small enough to keep in the case. I prefer an aperture myself though.

I got a chance to use my new-to-me Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX. Chronos I've used and have experience with include: Labradar, Magnetospeed Sporter & V3, and the ubiquitous Caldwell it seems everyone knows...

Even though it seemed kind of too cheap to be true, I decided to take a chance on one because most of the reviews out there on it are pretty good and sooner or later my luck with just using Strelok Pro was eventually going to run out so I had to find a new chrono. Since I got rid of the Labradar, I'd just been using Strelok's truing feature for a while*.

Verdict: the ProChrono is easily the best one I've used. Super easy to deal with, registered every shot (sunny clear day no doubt helped). It's old school optical, but I kinda dig that because I can use it to chrono my USPSA/IDPA loads too. Their Digital Link app is new school, yet stone simple and mostly idiot/fudd proof... the only time you need to touch the actual unit is to switch it on once you've got it where you want it, you do everything else in the app. You don't ever need to touch any of the buttons on the actual unit if you don't want to.

The bluetooth connection to my phone worked perfectly, it "talks" to tell you your speeds and automatically records all your data including weather, zero cords whatsoever to deal with, no BS at all really. I got a $25 Amazon tripod to work with it and the setup is tits. I splurged and spent an extra $5 for the tripod with a hook on the bottom to hang a bag if it's ever really windy, that also buys you a QD attachment so you can screw the plate adapter on the bottom of the unit once and leave it there forever. The whole range-ready setup was ~$150 all-in, and that's including the $20 storage bag Competion Electronics makes. For perspective, I probably spent half that on just the accessories I had to buy for the Labradar just to use the thing.

Recommended (y)
There are caveats though: if you plan to chrono your stuff in inclement weather and/or 10-15ft in front of your shooting position happens to be in the shade, pretty much bet 100% on this thing fucking up, it's a known issue/compromise. I tried it in the shade with my kid's pellet gun and it worked about 50% of the time... if I were shooting real-deal rifle rounds I'd be pissed with that ratio. But, science: it doesn't "see" so good under certain lighting conditions.

*FWIW/FYI, for anyone who doesn't already own a chrono, or for when one doesn't have their chrono with them and needs to check their speed, using Strelok's truing feature and a known-distance target at 400-600rds is pretty damn good, usually within ~30fps of the real chrono'd speed. It won't give you SD or ES data, but it will get you within .1 mil of the right elevation. It works, I've hit past 1000yrds using it without ever seeing a chrono.

The pics tell the story: packs up compact and weighs nothing.

image0-6.jpeg
image1-5.jpeg
image2-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Just found this thread. Bought a Caldwell w/ lights. Seemed ok but wanted blue tooth, so sent it back for the next version up, the Caldwell G2. Waste of money. Look at the results. The circled are my shots. The rest? EVERYONE else's that were as far as 25 feet away! Called Caldwell... apparently it works not only by light but by percussion. WTF. LOL. So I ask the Caldwell guy what the hell is the sense of having a chrono that records.... and an app that saves a profile of my velocity recordings plus + everyone's on either side of me? He told me to record with no other guns around. Sure. Ok. I'll just tell everyone at the range to hold fire till I'm done. 🤣

I can't really justify the Lab one. Maaaaaybe the Magento 3. Problem with the M3 is fitting with the fat flat muzzle breaks on both my rifles.

@THEIS where do I find the Oehler 85? Any idea the cost? Not sold on their site and can't find it else where either.

Screenshot_20210406-130142_Chronograph1.jpg

Last edited:
Ohler don't sell much stuff anymore. I has a 35 a few years back, or was it a 25 ? Either way, via an unfortunate event, I do not have it anymore. (No, I didn't shoot it!)

I have a Caldwell G2 and completely love it. Never experienced what You had going on, the only thing I noticed once, when I was by myself, I got weird reading errors, and it was a REAL sunny day. Repositioned myself and chrono to be in shade, BAM 100% reliable again.

Weird you had issues, never had heard or part audio for a trigger ? I'd love to open one up and see what's in it, but don't want to ruin a perfectly working one.

Ohler don't sell much stuff anymore. I has a 35 a few years back, or was it a 25 ? Either way, via an unfortunate event, I do not have it anymore. (No, I didn't shoot it!)

I have a Caldwell G2 and completely love it. Never experienced what You had going on, the only thing I noticed once, when I was by myself, I got weird reading errors, and it was a REAL sunny day. Repositioned myself and chrono to be in shade, BAM 100% reliable again.

Weird you had issues, never had heard or part audio for a trigger ? I'd love to open one up and see what's in it, but don't want to ruin a perfectly working one.
Yeah, the whacky readings threw me for a bit bc they were also very intermittent... took awhile to figure out it was the larger caliber rifles causing the reads. I'd sit there just watching the screen and with pidley little ARs, nothing. But when it was a loud decibel bang, as I imagined was, a 300 wm, 300 prc or bigger... instantly the number would sometimes change. But then the tech guy said a dust particle could cause it too.

Caldwells exact words "It measures light (by passing shadow) and percussion. It will also measure a dust particle."

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng
I was trying to see how fast it could read, in rounds per second. I had a gelblaster doing 33rps and was giving me weird strings, errors, velocity, etc. Figured that was about the limit.

Got some more gels, dried them on a towel first, then shot them. Yup, worked perfectly and didn't miss a beat for like 150 rounds straight. I noticed there was a sort of water "mist" in the air. The water droplets were upsetting it.

I'm still curious about the audio / pressure piezo idea. If I open it and find nothing, then it's bunk, however I don't want to void my warranty.

Magneto won't pick up gels, neither will LR. Weirdly I'll never do it again, was an experiment.

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
I got a chance to use my new-to-me Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX. Chronos I've used and have experience with include: Labradar, Magnetospeed Sporter & V3, and the ubiquitous Caldwell it seems everyone knows...

Even though it seemed kind of too cheap to be true, I decided to take a chance on one because most of the reviews out there on it are pretty good and sooner or later my luck with just using Strelok Pro was eventually going to run out so I had to find a new chrono. Since I got rid of the Labradar, I'd just been using Strelok's truing feature for a while*.

Verdict: the ProChrono is easily the best one I've used. Super easy to deal with, registered every shot (sunny clear day no doubt helped). It's old school optical, but I kinda dig that because I can use it to chrono my USPSA/IDPA loads too. Their Digital Link app is new school, yet stone simple and mostly idiot/fudd proof... the only time you need to touch the actual unit is to switch it on once you've got it where you want it, you do everything else in the app. You don't ever need to touch any of the buttons on the actual unit if you don't want to.

The bluetooth connection to my phone worked perfectly, it "talks" to tell you your speeds and automatically records all your data including weather, zero cords whatsoever to deal with, no BS at all really. I got a $25 Amazon tripod to work with it and the setup is tits. I splurged and spent an extra $5 for the tripod with a hook on the bottom to hang a bag if it's ever really windy, that also buys you a QD attachment so you can screw the plate adapter on the bottom of the unit once and leave it there forever. The whole range-ready setup was ~$150 all-in, and that's including the $20 storage bag Competion Electronics makes. For perspective, I probably spent half that on just the accessories I had to buy for the Labradar just to use the thing.

Recommended (y)
There are caveats though: if you plan to chrono your stuff in inclement weather and/or 10-15ft in front of your shooting position happens to be in the shade, pretty much bet 100% on this thing fucking up, it's a known issue/compromise. I tried it in the shade with my kid's pellet gun and it worked about 50% of the time... if I were shooting real-deal rifle rounds I'd be pissed with that ratio. But, science: it doesn't "see" so good under certain lighting conditions.

*FWIW/FYI, for anyone who doesn't already own a chrono, or for when one doesn't have their chrono with them and needs to check their speed, using Strelok's truing feature and a known-distance target at 400-600rds is pretty damn good, usually within ~30fps of the real chrono'd speed. It won't give you SD or ES data, but it will get you within .1 mil of the right elevation. It works, I've hit past 1000yrds using it without ever seeing a chrono.

The pics tell the story: packs up compact and weighs nothing.

View attachment 7598343View attachment 7598347View attachment 7598348
Nice comments, all good!
I gave up on optical chronographs 6 years ago, just too many issues with light conditions. I need accurate velocities for precision rifle shooting, Magnetospeed came along and has proven to be good for that. I never have seen POI shift on the rifle I am concerned with, the barrels are fairly heavy and have very effective brakes on them. I am forming an opinion that these two factors are likely why I don't see POI shift. Everyone seems to note heavy vs light barrels shift less. I believe that if the Magnetospeed bayonet is placed too close to the muzzle, say less than an inch, gas following the bullet out is deflected away from the bayonet and may disrupt the bullet. If this is true, a brake should make quite a difference in routing most of the gas away from the bayonet. At this point it is just my theory. I like to shoot all my test and practice rounds over the Magnetospeed to get all of the data possible from the time and dollars spent. I found the bayonet often shooting loose too, so I made a mount to get it off the barrel and hold it securely, this has made it so much easier to mount and use that I actually enjoy using it. This is a custom mount that will only fit similar guns, but I have decided to design and build a mount the will fit most rifles out there with very little screwing around. I am starting on a couple prototype units now and will see how it goes.

I think all of the chronographs have their places where they shine and fit the owners needs.
I'm good with Magnetospeed for my rifle, though I did use it on my STI 2011 once.

Nice comments, all good!
I gave up on optical chronographs 6 years ago, just too many issues with light conditions. I need accurate velocities for precision rifle shooting, Magnetospeed came along and has proven to be good for that. I never have seen POI shift on the rifle I am concerned with, the barrels are fairly heavy and have very effective brakes on them. I am forming an opinion that these two factors are likely why I don't see POI shift. Everyone seems to note heavy vs light barrels shift less. I believe that if the Magnetospeed bayonet is placed too close to the muzzle, say less than an inch, gas following the bullet out is deflected away from the bayonet and may disrupt the bullet. If this is true, a brake should make quite a difference in routing most of the gas away from the bayonet. At this point it is just my theory. I like to shoot all my test and practice rounds over the Magnetospeed to get all of the data possible from the time and dollars spent. I found the bayonet often shooting loose too, so I made a mount to get it off the barrel and hold it securely, this has made it so much easier to mount and use that I actually enjoy using it. This is a custom mount that will only fit similar guns, but I have decided to design and build a mount the will fit most rifles out there with very little screwing around. I am starting on a couple prototype units now and will see how it goes.

I think all of the chronographs have their places where they shine and fit the owners needs.
I'm good with Magnetospeed for my rifle, though I did use it on my STI 2011 once.

I like the Magnetospeed setup, they've been accurate for me and fairly easy to use. I don't really care about any POI shift with them because I use the chrono for testing only and then it comes off and goes back in the box, I don't do any real shooting with it... I usually just shoot my chrono rounds into the berm. Some of this has to do with philosophy, I know some guys (David Tubb is supposedly one of them) like to shoot with the chrono rolling the whole time... I'm not one of those guys, once I'm confident I've got a solid speed reading, I'm all set.

If my usual shooting spot wasn't setup great for using an optical chrono, I would've definitely gone with a Magnetospeed. I'm lucky because there's a ~15ft "warning track" for going prone or whatever in front of all the benches at my local club, no trees or shade whatsoever over the track, so the optical chrono works perfectly there (weather permitting).

I'll say this though, and this isn't just because I bought one: Magnetospeed AND Labradar really could learn a thing or two from Competition Electronic's Digital Link app. It's so much better and easier to use than Magnetospeed and Labradar's apps, and being more expensive options, they shouldn't be getting outclassed so badly by the far cheaper ProChrono DLX.

As an aside, nothing to do with the topic really but still chrono-related: I hadn't clocked my pistol ammo since the beginning of last summer (have been running the same load)... shot a mag over it out of my CO Shadow 2, 23+1: SD of 3 over 24 shots, SD 3! Precision 9mm yo!

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
While Im waiting for a reply from Magneto.... anyone know if the Magneto 3 work with a flat rectangular muzzle brake that measures 1" x 2" W x 3.25" L? I see they have an adapter... but its another $150. on top of $380. for the M3

not sure I can call it the best , but for the last 2 years my Magneto Speed V3 Ballistic Chronograph has done me no wrong I have tried other people's lab radars and while I had to think it would be really nice the extra functions like the wireless connection to another device like a phone would be sweet the money saved from not spending what they did has also been really nice . A note book and a pen and I can record my own data same as them and recall it anytime I want note books being under a dollar and a pen pretty cheap as well Id call it pretty even on the time it takes to set up either , and the data was close enough on either that both worked one being 300 dollars cheaper either should be considered a good buy . Good luck to you on what ever brand you decide to get .