• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Best coating for my bolt?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    With all the stories of suspected damage and the $200 minimum charge for MMI-Trutec's salt-bath nitriding, I've decided not to use it as the coating for a couple of my Remington 700 bolts.

That said, I'm in the market for a good alternative. I'm looking for something black in color, and something with a better surface bond than all the typical thermally-cured polymer finishes like Cerakote.

Any suggestions? Is PVD a viable option? Any places coating gun parts?

Thanks

Re: Best coating for my bolt?

Birdsongs Black-T has held up pretty well on a couple pistols I have coated with it. I also have some Robar "Rogard" coated parts on other guns that have held up well. You could give a look into those as they are both a self lubricating black matt finish.

Thanks guys,

I decided to go with ION-bond from Phantom finishing.

I know you have a product in mind, but have you given any thought to Perma-Slik? It's the stuff used to coat M-16 mags, and sometimes weapons/ parts. Self lubricating soild film that comes in a spray can. I have used it a few times on entire weapons, the stuff is a pretty good coating, wipe the part with some MEK and a few light coats. It produces a dark finish that is quite durable. Fairly cheap too... about $12 a can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys,

I decided to go with ION-bond from Phantom finishing. </div></div>
    I think you will be very happy with your choice. I really like it on my bolts. I had it done on my 591 and my AR10 BCG. It is the only coating that I know of that after 2000 cycles the bolt still looks new.