• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best cooler

Smokin7s

Lawyer, Astronaut, Pathological Liar
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2020
Oklahoma
Want something smaller and not a damn yeti who’s making a good one I can save some cash on

Orca. I’ve tried them all.

I’ve tried yeti, rtic, k2, bison, and orca. Orca has done the best by far. My 50qt lives on the back of my welding rig, and holds ice 7 days. That’s cooler gets opened up a dozen times a day to get a water out.

Sportsman guide has a private label called guide gear that is made by orca for a good deal

The Lifetime company that makes kayaks and awnings and swingsets and stuff makes coolers that are very comparable to yeti quality (may be a bit better) and are loads cheaper. My brother took one and stuck it in the back of my truck in direct sun during a week long 85 degree elk hunt and the thing handles it like a champ. I was really impressed with it and bought one after and found if you pre chill it and your food/drinks the thing holds ice for what seems like forever too.

Most of the rotomolded coolers (yeti, etc.) are the same. You just paying for the label.

I bought a “Brute” a while ago... its not a high visibility thing like a Yeti (those suckers get stolen).

My next cooler will be an orion. Wont save any money, but I don't care. They are made in Tennessee.

My main issue with all the other coolers except orca is that the lids warp in the sun and let warm air in. My coolers sit in the blazing sun all day long so the lid gets blazing hot. Orca is the only cooler I have used that the lid doesn’t warp in the heat and let warm air in. If the cooler is going to be in the shade it’s whole life, just pick one, they will all perform the same. If it’s going to live in the sun get an orca

I have (2) K2 coolers that work really well. Similar to Yeti and the rest. They take a lot of abuse in the duck boat and grin and bear it.

What’s the best cooler to keep things cold when hunting? I keep hearing about Yeti and ORCA any of you used them? I have a Coleman regular cooler which only keeps ice from melting for about 24 hours which is no Bueno. Would like it to keep ice from melting for at least 2 or 3 days.
My recommendation is still Orca.

Have the cooler pre chilled and everything that goes in it. Fill with ice. It’ll last.

Not bashing: Just make sure your cooler is made in the USA. Spend what you can afford, never pay retail.

IMG_0266.jpg

Reactions: MPrimo
Have a Yeti and a RTIC , can’t tell much difference except cost. When it’s over 90*f with 90% humidity , if you open them much , ice becomes h20 most Ricky Tick.
Need to try a Orca I reckon 👍

What’s the best cooler to keep things cold when hunting? I keep hearing about Yeti and ORCA any of you used them? I have a Coleman regular cooler which only keeps ice from melting for about 24 hours which is no Bueno. Would like it to keep ice from melting for at least 2 or 3 days.
Do you not know how to read?

The guy you quoted TOLD YOU in that post that he uses Orca coolers in his welding truck all day every fucking day

Askholes should be banned

Lifetime and Ozark Trail Coolers are pretty good without costing 2 days wages.
I have an orion cooler made by, I think, Jackson Kayak.
It's a pretty damn nice cooler, but spendy.
I got it with my boat, so it is used as a seat and dry storage.
Don't know why, my boat has sufficient storage, Momma doesn't want me to use it as a cooler so it doesn't stink.🤷‍♂️

Orca’s are my favorite. When I bought mine they were made in the USA and had a good warranty. It has been in the back of my truck for 4 years and is still going strong. Lid seals good.

I have a yeti roadie that a company I do business with gave me and it have traveled all over the Caribbean with me. They are expensive but it has been a good one.

I had 3 Rtic’s and the lids on them all warped in the Alabama heat. They did replace them but after the 3rd one I sold them all.

You get what you pay for. If I ever have to buy another one it will be an orca or yeti.

I have a Coleman regular cooler which only keeps ice from melting for about 24 hours which is no Bueno. Would like it to keep ice from melting for at least 2 or 3 days.

the Coleman Xtreme is a great cooler and (i know its anecdotal) will keep ice better than the yeti and RTIC which are 3 times the price. i dont know if they make them anymore. but we just had ours filled with ice and drinks Sunday, i emptied the cooler yesterday, still had some ice floating in the VERY cold water.

grays-coleman-chest-coolers-3000002011-64_600.jpg

Laws of thermodynamics mean you just cant keep ice indefinitely. keeping the lid closed and the space inside full helps a lot.

Reactions: 308pirate
My main issue with all the other coolers except orca is that the lids warp in the sun and let warm air in. My coolers sit in the blazing sun all day long so the lid gets blazing hot. Orca is the only cooler I have used that the lid doesn’t warp in the heat and let warm air in. If the cooler is going to be in the shade it’s whole life, just pick one, they will all perform the same. If it’s going to live in the sun get an orca
I got one of the Walmart rotomolded coolers. It's sits in the Texas sun and I've noticed some warpage.

I have to add ice every third day in the 100 degree heat but the melted ice water is still cool which to me is perfect for drinking. Plus, if some methhead steals it, it's not grand theft like a Yeti.

Lifetime and Ozark Trail Coolers are pretty good without costing 2 days wages.
I have an orion cooler made by, I think, Jackson Kayak.
It's a pretty damn nice cooler, but spendy.
I got it with my boat, so it is used as a seat and dry storage.
Don't know why, my boat has sufficient storage, Momma doesn't want me to use it as a cooler so it doesn't stink.🤷‍♂️
Lifetime's coolers are made 7.2miles from where I'm sitting right now at work.

Cheapie large Lifetime coolers work great for under 48 hours. Great value for a trip 2 days or less.

Cooling your cooler interior off with refreezable ice packs or actual ice BEFORE adding the actual trip ice makes a HUGE difference for me with different coolers I've used in the past. So you don't melt some of your trip ice right off the bat.

Cheapie large Lifetime coolers work great for under 48 hours. Great value for a trip 2 days or less.

Cooling your cooler interior off with refreezable ice packs or actual ice BEFORE adding the actual trip ice makes a HUGE difference for me with different coolers I've used in the past. So you don't melt some of your trip ice right off the bat.
I'd rather add a block of dry ice wrapped in paper bags and plastic

Reactions: Hookturnr
Orca and Pelican are my choices as well.

I have an old RTIC and it's fine and I have an old Cabelas that also works well.

I'm not sure if the quality of the new RTIC and Cabelas are to the same standards as the old ones though.

Coleman Xtremes. Its all I’ve used on our 5-7 day Voyageurs trips since they first came out. And that is a screaming deal on that $120!!

Pelican if for nothing more than the hard latches vs rubber lid stays that almost every other company uses, especially if it will be in the sunlight more of its life than not.

I don't know whats best? When I was working I would buy a Coleman or Igloo in the Spring and within 30 days something would be broke. The latch, a hinge, something. By the time Summer would really get here the top would be warped and it would keep ice for less than a day. And with the top warped dust would get in it. About 8 or 9 years ago my Wife bought me a Yeti. Its been in the back of my truck 24/7/365 every since it was new. It still keeps ice for 3 or more days in the hot Summer. And the top is still intact. I let it get dirty and beat up so it won't get stolen. I mean it looks like hell but it still works. I expect most of the newer high-end coolers would do just as well but the Yeti is the only one I have experience with.

I bought a Cordova, and only stays cool about 3 days. Very heavy. Not worth the money.