• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Best fire arms lubrication article I have ever read 1911 specific

Damn, I have been using 5W 40 synthetic for 32 years on everything but glocks( they don’t need lube)
I had no idea oil so darned specific, or lubing is being blown way out of proportion.
Cheers

With red dots or wearing glasses?

Nice article

Been using this on my pistols and BCGs.

And G96 spray to preserve the metal bits

Glad this came back up. I didn't see it on the first go round. Good read. The rule of thumb I've used is "If it rotates, oil it: if it slides, grease it".

Now to buy a gallon of Mobil 1 and a plastic soakin' pan.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Reactions: 912173
What do you guys think of using White lithium grease on pistol rail contact points?
I bought a tube of sta-lube white lithium grease from an auto parts store for bolt lugs and It works great on my 1911. I just did two days of pistol classes with zero issues and it also cycles way smoother than oil. This article confirms some of my own findings.

Seems I recall seeing this back when it was first posted.
Gun lube and machine lube has been a big topic in my world lately so I thought I'd share.

Greg Krebaum built me a couple custom Hi-Cap pistols and this what he suggested. It's been my go to gun lube for quite some time now.

"Gregs Pistol Piss" (I gave it the name)
15oz STP Oil Treatment
1qt Mobile 1 10-30 Full Synthetic
1/2qt Mobile 1 ATF Synthetic

I've also been playing with Permatex Ceramic Extreme, Brake Parts Lubricant.
I'm not really finished testing this however on what I've used it on so far (Gun, Automotive, ATV/UTV, etc) I've been pretty pleased with it.
I've also used this in conjunction with Gregs PP above on a few things. No issues so far.
I've started using this on items I've traditionally used Copper Anti-seize.

So,,,,,,,
Is sperm whale oil still the best??
what is shelf life on whale oil?
how does all this 'Grease and oil' perform in a Michigan winter?