• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best Heat Resistant Wire Wrap?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Is there one thing that'll work better than another for running a wire next to a hot barrel? Was looking at fiberglass on Amazon, it was cheapest and can handle 500deg. contact and 2000 ambient.

And you reckon it'd be best to get it a bit oversize? I think that may help with contact. Say 1/2" for a 1/4" wire?

I'd like to be able to find it at an auto parts store but don't mind ordering it if it's really worth it. Don't wanna spend much, really only need few inches or so...

Anybody have any extra foot or so laying around that'd work I could throw you a few bucks and cover the shipping? That'd be ideal really. PM me if you do.

I was thinking rigid carbon fiber tubes, e.g. arrow shafts and used for making offshore game fishing rigs, would be a good choice.
    Inexpensive, come in cammo patterns if thats important, easy to fabricate to length, come in various diameters, melting point 3600 deg C!, easy to fix to a rail. Buy arrow tube stock or an arrow and you are done. For a hot barrel application, I do not know of any marine electrical shrink wrap tubing that will do well with those temperature exposures. Advise against cannabalizing your RRS carbon fiber tripod in a pinch.
    Here's some 1/4" stock examples.
    IMG_5020.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5022.jpg

Last edited:
    I knew a guy who made suppressor covers out of the Kevlar aerospace sleeving mentioned above, and then dipped the ends in silicone. Granted, I never tested one out, and he was sketchy as #2 pencil in a French art class, so your millage may vary. The silicone was something like this, and may be useful for an extra layer of heat protection: https://www.amazon.com/Mold-High-Resistant-Silicone-Rubber/dp/B00IZNNIU8

Hey, thanks. I picked up this stuff at O'Really's for running wire through, it's either kevlar or fiberglass (probably fiberglass) with a metallic covering. I may need to paint it, I don't know. It's 3/4" though so I don't know if it'll even work, may be too big. But it lays flat so that should help. If it doesn't work (or someone PM's me with something better) I'll go to Amazon and find something.

It's going inside the handguard on a Tavor and it requires basically wrapping a wire around the barrel while somehow avoiding the charging mechanism (which is why what I got may have to go back, may need something smaller). For them to design the rifle to accept this sight and the button, they sure made it a pain in the ass to install. Oughta be cool once it's done though.

I was thinking rigid carbon fiber tubes, e.g. arrow shafts and used for making offshore game fishing rigs, would be a good choice.
    Inexpensive, come in cammo patterns if thats important, easy to fabricate to length, come in various diameters, melting point 3600 deg C!, easy to fix to a rail. Buy arrow tube stock or an arrow and you are done. For a hot barrel application, I do not know of any marine electrical shrink wrap tubing that will do well with those temperature exposures. Advise against cannabalizing your RRS carbon fiber tripod in a pinch.
    Here's some 1/4" stock examples.View attachment 7271076View attachment 7271077View attachment 7271078

That's a good idea I'll hang onto in the future. It's not flexible so it won't work this time but I have a plan to build or modify a FF carbon fiber handguard for an AR that has the PEQ, light and LRF all in one. One day maybe... Too many plans, not enough time or money. But that'd be a solution for running the wires

Reactions: G-Dog
    Well, that didn't work, just too damn big.

Found McMaster McCarr, they have something good to 1100deg. and I talked to them about the application, told 'em it'd be housing a wire basically wrapped around a barrel and they said it'd work fine and is what they'd actually have recommended given the size. It also comes in 5/16". You can spend more but this stuff gets it done and it looks like what IDF uses/was using anyway.

I'm thinking of going back to them for this stuff to make suppressor wraps since it comes in a braided tube the right size already and they make some that go over 2000deg....

SO ANYWAY, now that I'M the guy with the stuff, if anyone needs any I can make it happen, I had to buy five feet of it and I need less than one. If you got a Tavor SAR and wanna use that button in the handguard, you're gonna need it. As far as that button goes, I think Graybar, etc., sell a button that fits that slot perfectly (its in some other forum if you search for it).

PM me if you need any of this stuff. It's white fiberglass wire insulation, pretty basic but resistant to oils and solvents and at 5/16" it's just right for most wires and the extra room helps with insulation. Cost me $13 something so I'll sell it at $2 per foot, I have a few feet to spare, plus a few dollars for actual shipping in an envelope (unless you want it Priority flat rate).

The silicone works really well in hot engine compartments. We used it in Ultra4 racing and the only time we had to replace it was to put in a bigger piece when more wire was ran.

Well, I took apart the Tavor this morning and tried to run the wire to see if it'd work, of course it's too short. From what I can tell you can't get the proper length cable so I'm gonna have to splice it --solder, heat shrink, insulation. The insulation I ordered was pretty cheap, only $4.50 (+$8 shipping) for five feet and it's good to 1000 or 1100 degrees and they said it was what they'd recommend for this application.

Oughta be pretty slick when done though.