• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hot weather full face motorcycle helmet?

I always wondered who bought these DTC motorcycles?

KILM gear and KRIOS helmet if you are going off road. Klim pants and Alpinstars adventure boots with Krios helmet,, if you are looking to add blue tooth go to the Cardo site and pick out your helmet from the list they have with the com system you plan to get. I ride 25-35 k miles per year, in very hot and very cold weather., dirt/adventure/harley/ r6 small sport bike, s1000rr big sport bike, road racing, track tracing , enduro racing, single track racing, and just frikken running from the cops racing, this is my gear, put your plate on a rubber hinge.

Last edited:
This is what I use/used, and believe me, it was VERY EFFECTIVE when I was all-the-sudden riding through hail. The helmet is highly recommended.
The hail, not-so-much.

There are open-able and close-able vents front and back, that allows you to control the amount of airflow through the helmet. It looked hot and bulky at first, but it was actually comfortable on the highways.

The added 'automatic sunshade' that is inside makes it REALLY nice to use.

get the Klim or a Bell with the transitions shield, you wont be sorry, buy a white or light color that will keep you mostly as cool as you will get... and dont be a pussy, just hydrate a lot,,, I have klim back pack with hydro I will donate to you. PM your addy, spend the money on gortex pants with crash pads and good boots.

Reactions: Alan Warner
Yes, that too. Good one AJ, for riders REALLY need to use good riding gear. Mine is First Gear, which is also VERY well vented and adjustable.

Remember, "function" over 'fashion'. There's a difference.

Yes hydrate a LOT .
Taken that trip a few times on a Bike to Vegas and into AZ. from OR. . You are loosing a lot of water going down Hwy. to Vegas and South in the mid of summer . 100+ deg. moving down the Hwy. you are dry as a bone and you evaporating sweat faster than you think .
You can cruse at Nighttime, go a little slower and be cooler . It can get hot, Remember one time was 115 deg. when pulling into Bullhead AZ. .

Good vented helmet and zip-open venting on your jacket .

I have a Schuberth E1 helmet. I’m wondering if there is something cooler. It’s white and red to match the bike.

I had a Harley for 10+ years and like the AT DCT a lot more.

I like the ARAI Signet-X, has plenty of vents. It is the only full face helmet I own any more for the street, have never seen a Schuberth so no way of comparing it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
ive always been leary of the flipup helmets. what happens when you eat shit and land face first?

I wear Arai because that's what fits me the best and they crash really well. I am the the poster child for $900 helmet for a $9 head.

That's an interesting helmet

Is it approved for the streets or just snow?

These are DOT approved, as well as mine came with two separate visor-windows. A single-pane for summer riding as well as a 'dual-pane' for winter use.
I don't use the winter one though, with putting the chains on the tires I can't get up to speed near as fast. So I don't bother. ;)

The one thing the guy didn't talk about in the video were the 'openable' and 'closeable' vents to control the airflow through the helmet. That ventilation is nice.

I know it's a dirt scooter helmet but I love the fox v3 and v4 helmets I could feel air flow. 30 or 45 minutes in to a hour race in 80 degree heat it was nice

I’m using Bell carbon lids now. Lightweight, lots of vents and a really wide field of vision so they don’t feel claustrophobic.

I used to wear Arai but I think the Arais are due some modernisation.

Sean the Nailer

Have you worn it in warm weather?
In the summer of '05 I wore it to Princeton MN, Sturgis SD, and all through Western Canada. Is it warmer than a 'skull cap' yes, but is it like wearing a skidoo suit in summer, no. As stated, the air vents worked well for me. Add to that the hail-storms that came out of no-where helped me out. And when it rains, well,,,, there's nothing better than a full-face for when it's raining.

Unless you're one of those riders who stops, and hides under a tree during a rainstorm. I rode past MANY of them around Sturgis, Deadwood, and (that other city I forget it's name) back then. Couldn't believe the amount of sugar-cubes hiding under any/all cover they could find. I just putted on by....

I’ve heard the Shoei GT Air 2 is supposed to breath very well. I’m actually gonna need to buy a nee helmet soon and am considering them, but I’ve always been a Shoei guy, so maybe I’m biased. The RF1200 has served me pretty well even in hot AZ summers, but more air would be better. Now that I’m up here in Indiana though, I don’t need it to breath quite as well as I would have back in AZ.

I have only used Shoei modular, the later models have pinlock inserts that prevent any fogging.

It's rare that I open it up while on the move, but the convenience when, say, gassing up is incomparable. I wear polarized sunglasses so often ride with the visor open so other than when it rain, ventilation has never been an issue but when needed, they vent just fine.

Motorcycle rider for over 20 years here, I bought nothing but Arai helmets after buying one Shoei I thought I might like but didn't, and trying on a lot of others.

A full face is going to be a little warm if you are sitting still, the Arai tends to move a lot of air as long as you are moving.

Motorcycle rider for over 20 years here, I bought nothing but Arai helmets after buying one Shoei I thought I might like but didn't, and trying on a lot of others.

A full face is going to be a little warm if you are sitting still, the Arai tends to move a lot of air as long as you are moving.

A perfect example of why it’s important to try helmets on for yourself. I’ve always wanted to try an Arai, I hear they’ve fantastic lids. But they don’t fit my melon nearly as well as Shoei do, so I’ve never taken the plunge as of yet!

Don’t skimp on a helmet. I know some people do, but they’re your protection in a crash, your air circulation system, your head rest, your windshield, your hearing protection (I still wear plugs under mine), your sound system (if you use one), etc., etc. A good helmet is worth the investment if you’re gonna ride regularly!

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
c51a0bffd5955e8081c65dbce7c49fae.jpg

or lol

ed2b94f2-e8c4-46cb-8bc8-f1390c58f4ae_1.49bec8bb271565373be1659dab616c64.jpeg

Last edited:
A perfect example of why it’s important to try helmets on for yourself. I’ve always wanted to try an Arai, I hear they’ve fantastic lids. But they don’t fit my melon nearly as well as Shoei do, so I’ve never taken the plunge as of yet!
Need to get the one that fits the shape of your head. I have a narrow/long melon, Arai fits, Shoei is for more of a round head.
Don’t skimp on a helmet. I know some people do, but they’re your protection in a crash, your air circulation system, your head rest, your windshield, your hearing protection (I still wear plugs under mine), your sound system (if you use one), etc., etc. A good helmet is worth the investment if you’re gonna ride regularly!
Full face for protection in a crash, yes...if the crash is kills you, maybe an open casket. I ride a Harley Street Glide, don't get enough air when it's warm out, so I wear a half helmet, unless it's below 32ºF. Open casket be damned, enjoy the life insurance check.

Reactions: Basher
Need to get the one that fits the shape of your head. I have a narrow/long melon, Arai fits, Shoei is for more of a round head.

Definitely this.

I tried many types at local stores before choosing Shoei. They are not all alike. Doesn't make one better than another, just a better fit.

One of my friends is so fanatical that his first daughter's middle name is Arai. :oops:

Shoei or Arai go try them on and get one that fits SNUG the foam will Loosen up and form to your head. Should pull your ears pretty good putting it in.

Learn the vent system and how to open them to get the best draw of air in and around your head.

I wore full face and a leather jacket at all times on my bike in the Texas heat. If you have ever slid down a concrete highway then you’ll know why. Dirt bike wreck taught me that lesson lol.

Reactions: Basher
Helmet interior shapes vary by brand and model. Arai seems to be the only full face helmet brand that caters to someone like me with a long oval head shape. The Arai Signet model is my go to as its interior fit doesn't create a hot spot on my forehead like rounder interior shapes will. The Arai helmet line moves air inside better than other brands as well.

I ride a BMW R1200GS, so in the summer I leave the Arai Signet on the shelf and put my Suomy dirt helmet on with sunglasses. I still get full face protection, but the airflow is much more than any enclosed street helmet can ever provide. The Suomy caters to a long oval head shape like I have.

Shoei or Arai go try them on and get one that fits SNUG the foam will Loosen up and form to your head. Should pull your ears pretty good putting it in.

Learn the vent system and how to open them to get the best draw of air in and around your head.

I wore full face and a leather jacket at all times on my bike in the Texas heat. If you have ever slid down a concrete highway then you’ll know why. Dirt bike wreck taught me that lesson lol.
I bought my first helmet after I wrecked a dirt bike and broke my elbow. I wrecked many times before that, but that one got my attention...and I was getting ready to enter my first motocross race...although delayed with healing, the helmet was required. Now I always wear a helmet, just like a seat belt...will it keep me from being a greasy spot on the asphalt? Maybe, maybe not.

Helmet interior shapes vary by brand and model. Arai seems to be the only full face helmet brand that caters to someone like me with a long oval head shape. The Arai Signet model is my go to as its interior fit doesn't create a hot spot on my forehead like rounder interior shapes will. The Arai helmet line moves air inside better than other brands as well.

I ride a BMW R1200GS, so in the summer I leave the Arai Signet on the shelf and put my Suomy dirt helmet on with sunglasses. I still get full face protection, but the airflow is much more than any enclosed street helmet can ever provide. The Suomy caters to a long oval head shape like I have.
I made a mistake buying my first full face helmet, it felt fine in the shop I bought it from...but after being on a scooter for an hour or two, I got the same "hot spot" on my forehead, it SUCKS. Make sure the helmet fits your melon...speaking from experience.

Arai XD4 if you have a long bean
I've used the XD series in Death Valley in 120-129 deg heat on several trips.
I ride a BMW 1150gSAdventure and an R100pGsPD- both with crap windscreens
Wear you hair short and learn how to use a wet a chamois or dewrag or bandana under your helmet.
Same with hydration, precooling with an ice vest and using with damp Icebreaker base layers or thin cotton. Evaporative cooling is about all you've got.
BTW, I'm a thermophysiologist who has spent a lot of my career helping people, mostly world stage athletes, stay cool in the heat.
So, short of putting a thermoelectric Peltier cooler in the helmet like AGV once did, and Feher (cooled helmets) does now, there's not a lot you can do.
09F135CE-5D4C-49BC-B66A-F97F85BA7463.jpeg
91196838-1326-4249-B517-552E6D3C8CCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gigamortis
Arai may be better suited to you, but definitely go to a shop that has them all to try on. You want it super tight around the cheeks, it will loosen up.
Agree. Yes, around the cheeks and jaw. The foam around the top of your head doesn't loosen up, the padding will, that still won't make it be comfortable on your head. That's where you need to make sure it is formed for the shape of your head to begin with. It doesn't matter if you like the design, if it's not comfortable, you will hate it.

you can guess at it, or go to a shop that knows how to get a helmet that will fit your melon. It's worth it. Or don't, and you'll understand later.