• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hunting caliber for barrel length 16.5-20"

Interesting thread, I have my Defiance AntiX on forever order but while I wait I've been pondering whether or not to do a 22" Proof CF prefit in 6.5 Creed or a 20" CF in 308, I too will shoot suppressed with Ultra 5 (I've found it to be plenty for hunting situations).

@MOUNTIC hunts with a 18" 6.5PRC. From the sounds of it, it's a money setup. Hopefully he will chime in about it as I don't want to misspeak for him.

I'll be hunting with a 24" 6.5prc with a Magnus-SR as both my cans are 9" long and I don't want to buy another one lol

Interesting thread, I have my Defiance AntiX on forever order but while I wait I've been pondering whether or not to do a 22" Proof CF prefit in 6.5 Creed or a 20" CF in 308, I too will shoot suppressed with Ultra 5 (I've found it to be plenty for hunting situations).
Of those two, I'd vote the 20" 6.5 😏

Reactions: 2c1fr and tex68w
35F5C734-C5F6-40D3-B54A-252CD34257DA.jpeg

I sure do like my 20” Tikka CTR 308 in a McMillan A3 Edge stock. It is a handy rifle that is still comfortable to shoot at the range.

Tac Ops has proven the 308 is a certain efficient case that works in a shorter barrel. I would go 16" 308 of the 2.
This is commonly repeated, but I don't understand what actual metric people are referring to.

There's not a barrel length where 308 outperforms any of the creedmoors.

To put animals down quickly I want bullets going >=1800fps. 22, 6, and 6.5s can carry that speed way way further than any 308.

A 16" 6.5 with the right bullet is good for nearly 575 or so while the 308 will fall to that velocity 20% sooner. My 22 GT with 88s is like 700 yards.

I have a couple 16" 308s, and realistically they're fine for all the ranges I kill animals, but the smaller diameter high BC bullets are objectively better in every way, plus they kick less which matters a lot- I love watching bullets hit animals through my scope.

Not to hate on 16" 308s, it's just an objectively inferior platform in every measurable way.

Last edited:
This is commonly repeated, but I don't understand what actual metric people are referring to.

To put animals down quickly I want bullets going >=1800fps. 22, 6, and 6.5s can carry that speed way way further than any 308.

A 16" 6.5 with the right bullet is good for nearly 575 or so while the 308 will fall to that velocity 20% sooner. My 22 GT with 88s is like 700 yards.

I have a couple 16" 308s, and realistically they're fine for all the ranges I kill animals, but the smaller diameter high BC bullets are objectively better in every way, plus they kick less which matters a lot- I love watching bullets hit animals through my scope.

Not to hate on 16" 308s, it's just an objectively inferior platform in every measurable way.
Which brings us back to 338 lapua for the win. Only thing it cost is recoil, like red heads cost alimony and LS with a Turbo cost gas....

Depends on the situation IMHO. My 18" 308 within 600yds with the 168gr TMK at 2650 (which should be pretty attainable) bested my 18" 6.5x47 in all the numbers I ran with my both my loads of 123s and 130s. Almost 200ft-lb energy more on target with equal or maybe a 10th of wind difference.

308 overbore or lack there of does have it's benefit as the barrel shortens. It's not to say that you can't push a 6 or 6.5 to work reasonably well out of short barrels but it's certainly less efficient, the major jump in BC helps tremendously. Our 17" 243 with a max load is pushing 105s at an anemic 2700fps and is an absolute fireball. You could take a 16" 308 with 155s and be much more effective in my experience. I've also just not had good luck with the 105gr VLD (for another day). Sure there give and takes from gun to gun and load preferences. It's not all as black and white as it used to be when the only 30 cal bullets to be used were the old SMK lineup with meh BCs for today's standards. Now you have 165s not all that far off from 130gr 6.5s in BC. Speaking of which I had my brother's 165gr TGK at 2755 out of his 20" 308, the numbers are pretty damn good for the boost in energy on target within respectable ranges.

Don't get me wrong, BC is still the alpha and omega but there are scenarios in which I would rather have my XM3 than either of my 6.5x47s or our 6CM or 243. I think it's more situation dependent is all.

Reactions: Jsp556
Depends on the situation IMHO. My 18" 308 within 600yds with the 168gr TMK at 2650 (which should be pretty attainable) bested my 18" 6.5x47 in all the numbers I ran with my both my loads of 123s and 130s. Almost 200ft-lb energy more on target with equal or maybe a 10th of wind difference.

308 overbore or lack there of does have it's benefit as the barrel shortens. It's not to say that you can't push a 6 or 6.5 to work reasonably well out of short barrels but it's certainly less efficient, the major jump in BC helps tremendously. Our 17" 243 with a max load is pushing 105s at an anemic 2700fps and is an absolute fireball. You could take a 16" 308 with 155s and be much more effective in my experience. I've also just not had good luck with the 105gr VLD (for another day). Sure there give and takes from gun to gun and load preferences. It's not all as black and white as it used to be when the only 30 cal bullets to be used were the old SMK lineup with meh BCs for today's standards. Now you have 165s not all that far off from 130gr 6.5s in BC. Speaking of which I had my brother's 165gr TGK at 2755 out of his 20" 308, the numbers are pretty damn good for the boost in energy on target within respectable ranges.

Don't get me wrong, BC is still the alpha and omega but there are scenarios in which I would rather have my XM3 than either of my 6.5x47s or our 6CM or 243. I think it's more situation dependent is all.
If you're the kinda guy that handloads 168s and 105s at like velocities and "energy on target" fires your cylinders, 308 sounds like a great option for you 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 5RWill and MOUNTIC
I don’t regret my 16.5” 6.5cm at all. It’s light, handy, accurate, and quiet. If I remember correct im getting around 2550 fps with the 143 eldx. Haven’t used it on game other than hogs yet though.

Attachments

• CB950245-EB54-44B3-B7DD-5F27ADC3BA06.png
    CB950245-EB54-44B3-B7DD-5F27ADC3BA06.png
    1 MB · Views: 186
running a .308 with a 17.5" barrel Suppressed shooting factory 150gr Hornady Whitetail SP. it splits their wig pretty good.

Reactions: tex68w
I have a 18" 6.5 Creed Carbonsix and a factory Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC. I dropped the 6.5 PRC into a MDT HNT26 and it will be getting a 20" Carbonsix and will probably end up with the Dominus or the re-cored 30P-1 on it. I will keep the factory barrel and stock, may try it in the factory NRL Hunter.
126.JPG
124.JPG
154.JPG

I have a 18" 6.5 Creed Carbonsix and a factory Tikka Roughtech in 6.5 PRC. I dropped the 6.5 PRC into a MDT HNT26 and it will be getting a 20" Carbonsix and will probably end up with the Dominus or the re-cored 30P-1 on it. I will keep the factory barrel and stock, may try it in the factory NRL Hunter.View attachment 7990998View attachment 7990999View attachment 7991000
My tikka in 6.5 PRC identified as a 6.5CM when using factory ammo. I load 147gr eldm at over 3.00” OAL stuffed with 60gr + of retumbo and I am at 2915fps. Much better. I can go faster but it shoots very well here and an extra 50fps makes little difference. The factory 6.5prc barrels are throated long and I’m guessing that’s one reason they are as slow as they are with factory stuff.

My tikka in 6.5 PRC identified as a 6.5CM when using factory ammo. I load 147gr eldm at over 3.00” OAL stuffed with 60gr + of retumbo and I am at 2915fps. Much better. I can go faster but it shoots very well here and an extra 50fps makes little difference. The factory 6.5prc barrels are throated long and I’m guessing that’s one reason they are as slow as they are with factory stuff.
I forgot my magnetospeed at the house, so I will have to get velocities later. I sighted in a Roughtech in 7mm mag for a guy and it was 25fps faster than what the Hornady Superformance box said.

I have N565, N570, H4831sc and a little bit of Rl26 and H1000 to try. Probably won't mess with the Rl26 or H1000 since I don't have much. I have some 143 Norma Bondstrikes to try and will probably get some more 147s since it liked the 18 I have shot through it so far.

I'm seeing a pattern here - lots of "147's shot well", that has been my experience with 6.5 Creedmoor, almost every barrel seems to prefer the Hornady ELD-M 147's... curious how many have used these pills for big game and how they performed?

I'm seeing a pattern here - lots of "147's shot well", that has been my experience with 6.5 Creedmoor, almost every barrel seems to prefer the Hornady ELD-M 147's... curious how many have used these pills for big game and how they performed?
I haven’t tried them yet but have 500, 140 eld and berger 140 hybrids always shot amazing for me, but every caliber I’ve seen on forums, people say eldm do good on game

I’ve killed plenty of deer, hogs, and aoudad with 140gr and 147gr eldm bullets to know they work well. Expect leadnose hunting bullet performance. I don’t hunt anything larger than that.

I’ve killed plenty of deer, hogs, and aoudad with 140gr and 147gr eldm bullets to know they work well. Expect leadnose hunting bullet performance. I don’t hunt anything larger than that.
Funny how a manufacturer will make a bullet "special" for hunting and the match bullets end up performing better, I've seen this before.

Funny how a manufacturer will make a bullet "special" for hunting and the match bullets end up performing better, I've seen this before.
Not all of them do. 175gr Match kings are explosive until they aren’t and then pencil. Hornady 140gr BTHP 6.5mm act the same. Never again. Maybe its the HPs that suck.

I don’t regret my 16.5” 6.5cm at all. It’s light, handy, accurate, and quiet. If I remember correct im getting around 2550 fps with the 143 eldx. Haven’t used it on game other than hogs yet though.
Damn, that's what I'm getting out of my factory 20" CTR barrel. I've been contemplating going to 17" and just might have to. More than enough for the distances I shoot at game here in Nebraska.

Damn, that's what I'm getting out of my factory 20" CTR barrel. I've been contemplating going to 17" and just might have to. More than enough for the distances I shoot at game here in Nebraska.
I keep hearing Tikka barrels are slow, switching to a different maker might buy you some “free” MV.

Reactions: godofthunder
I think both mine are 21", so they don't count. 6 Creed {mid load of H4350 gets me 2950 with a 105} and 280 {Heavey load of H4350 gets me 2900 with a 162 ballistic tip midway blem{SST or A-max with cannelure} . I was about to order an 18" 6.5 Creed barrel the other day. I used RL15 and 123s in my 21" 6.5 Creed barrel.

Reactions: 65x55guy

Those are the three main things we hunt/manage/eradicate as well.

View attachment 7993145
View attachment 7993146
16” 6.5 PRC is basically full length 260 in a handy package. Works great in tight spaces while hunting out of blinds and tree stands. Love my shortie 260 and 7mm-08, but this one packs little more oomph

Details on load for the 6.5PRC out of that shorty? Do you think any factory load would perform well for it at that length? 7pt cull?

Tikka rifles tend to have long throats and are slow. I won a TAC A1 6.5 Creed at a match and it identified as a 6.5 Grendel. With a 140gn ELD-M seated to absolute max mag length I was still over .100" jump and it took a full grain more than my other rifles to get in the ballpark of where MV should be. It shot well, it was just anemic.

Does anyone offer a 18" threaded barrel 308 factory hunting rifle? I see that Christensen Arms has the Ridgeline in a 20" with CF barrel and that's tempting if one can get past the QC issues but it appears nearly all others are 22-24" barrels, some of which aren't even threaded.

Does anyone offer a 18" threaded barrel 308 factory hunting rifle? I see that Christensen Arms has the Ridgeline in a 20" with CF barrel and that's tempting if one can get past the QC issues but it appears nearly all others are 22-24" barrels, some of which aren't even threaded.
Nobody is going to Pat your back and say you’ve got the most luxurious rifle, but all the savages I’ve owned in the last 10 years would outshoot me. If you can find one of these it might be worth it.

I believe Ruger sells a short barrel American Hunter model with the magpul stock in 308 as well. IIRC its 18"

I've got one on the way. With a 3-15x-ish plex reticle optic it should be perfect for use in the blind with a suppressor.

Now to settle on a caliber for my APR custom for Elk and Mulley's out west that I plan to order in the spring. Right now I am torn between 28 Nosler, 300 WM, 300 PRC and possibly 300 RUM, again looking for a good factory load option.

I tried mine yesterday on a 70lb Arkansas deer. 70yd shot quartering away, entered taking out 3 ribs on the way in shedding the jacket and found a small portion of the core stopping just inside the offside shoulder. Running about 2680 out of my 20" Creedmoor, bullet did its job and it dropped where it stood but I expected a exit.

Lots of good options but I built a 20” proof barreled 6.5prc and I’m getting 3000fps with 140 vld. Also using an ultra7 and it balances great.
I’m building a 20” proof PRC now. Have ya shot the heavier bergers? What kinda glass are ya using and how far ya shot so far? Sorry for all the questions lol. I haven’t found a ton of info on compact 6.5 PRC builds lol

I’m building a 20” proof PRC now. Have ya shot the heavier bergers? What kinda glass are ya using and how far ya shot so far? Sorry for all the questions lol. I haven’t found a ton of info on compact 6.5 PRC builds lol

im using a mk5 3-18 on it at the moment. Will likely switch to a lighter nxs 2-10 soon though. I have not tried the heavies yet. Killed 2 bull elk with the 140’s so I don’t feel the need to change anything. I shoot to 750yds as that’s the farthest I have access to. I actually shot the best group I’ve ever shot with this setup at 750. Put 3 rounds in <1”. Yes, it’s a cherry picked group that I can’t repeat regularly but I was thrilled regardless.

Reactions: el-rey and 260284
im using a mk5 3-18 on it at the moment. Will likely switch to a lighter nxs 2-10 soon though. I have not tried the heavies yet. Killed 2 bull elk with the 140’s so I don’t feel the need to change anything. I shoot to 750yds as that’s the farthest I have access to. I actually shot the best group I’ve ever shot with this setup at 750. Put 3 rounds in <1”. Yes, it’s a cherry picked group that I can’t repeat regularly but I was thrilled regardless.
All that makes me super stoked lol. I ordered an action today, already have a manners CS2 and was looking at either a NF NX8 2.5-20 or a ZCO 420. I’m hoping to take a black bear next year with it and possibly big game out west in the coming years

18” 6.5cm works pretty well. I don’t reload. Either 95vmax or 140 eld/ Amax

Not all of them do. 175gr Match kings are explosive until they aren’t and then pencil. Hornady 140gr BTHP 6.5mm act the same. Never again. Maybe its the HPs that suck.
Polymer tip is where it’s at for me for terminal performance.

Reactions: wade2big