• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best hunting scope under 2000.00

Vortex LHT 4.5-22. More by process of elimination than anything. As mentioned before, doubt it will be mind blowing in any way, but as long as I get one with OK QC, it's a "safe choice".

Runner ups were the Sightron S3 and NF ATACR 4-16x42:
S3 PLR - seems like it was done by the same OEM (Kenko Tokina) as the LHT to slightly different specs, with about the same level of technology, street prices are close. S3 PLR looks like it's a little more target shooting oriented though, so going with the Vortex.
ATACR - per the few people I asked who have seen both, 4-16x42 ATACR >= LHT for glass / image quality (not a huge surprise given that 4-16 is "previous gen" ATACR). Tracking is about the same. ATACR is more robust, has better turrets, and better other "nice touch stuff" vs the LHT is "good enough" in these areas, but it's still 30oz vs 21.7oz and about 2x the price.

Burris / Steiner - I went outside and dusk and dawn with the SCR reticle again on my current Burris several times. Realized this was going to be a bit like me "forcing" something to work rather than "it just works". Also, yes, the Burris is fine, but at the same time yes, glass could be slightly better.
used S&B - couldn't find the right one for sale used within this time period
Zeiss LRP, NF ATACR 4-20x50, Tract Toric - didn't realize these were that heavy.
NF NX8 - can pay a little more and get an ATACR. This is also not much lighter than the ATACR.
NF SHV - got to talk to a handful people who have one and apparently for the same money the image quality and several other aspects of the optic are either not as good or at best par with the other newer options here. i.e. old tech vs new tech.
Zeiss V6 - no illumination and still not a huge fan of the reticles. I can let it slide with the v4 going on sale for $800 as the reticle is still workable, but not at $1500+ with the v6, even if the v6 has better glass
Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 - want more than a plex reticle and the FFP option with the horseshoe center doesn't seem ideal for hunting.

Did you look into the Trijicon Credo or the Tenmile?

I may end up trying a atacr 4-16 on my main rifle next year before I get my tikka built. I like my lht but it’s the only SFP optic left in the safe and the mag ring really pissed me off this year. I’ve never had a scope with a mag ring so damned tight.

I still like the scope but I feel like I’m gonna turn it in it’s rings just changing magnification. If bushnell would drop a lrts2 with a single dot illum like the Swfa 5-20hd I’d buy a couple and be done worrying about hunting scopes

Reactions: echamp8
I just cant pull the trigger on that scope yet until they make revisions. All the threads of it losing zero if bumped etc is a no go for me for a hunting rifle. I cant confirm zero everytime I bump the scope hard against something. Hopefully they have already fixed the issue but im not sure.
When asking the store/seller I was told, without asking, that there were some initial issues in the first few months which included the loss of zero issue. Several months ago Vortex did fix some things, which they don't specify in great detail to the sellers, but since then, the reported issues are have mostly disappeared from what they've heard.

I also realize it's in their interest to tell me everything is fine to sell me the optic, but if that's the case, why bring this up - and they did tell me other likes *and* dislikes about *each* optic I asked about. Or maybe I set the bar too low going into this thinking "it's Vortex I'll probably need to be careful and do some extra QC myself"... but I also realize from a design / engineering perspective that the weight savings have to come from somewhere and I understood before the purchase that realistically, it just won't be as robust as a heavier scope.

Did you look into the Trijicon Credo or the Tenmile?
Yes, but hesitant to buy something that's so heavily discounted due to EOL. I don't doubt that Trijicon will try to support me - I've gotten great support from them multiple times in the past for multiple products. But I do doubt their ability to fix something that they themselves can't procure, get parts for, etc. - especially given that it's manufactured by another OEM and not in house.

Last edited:
Reactions: HogsLife
  • What is the platform for the scope? Bolt Action, Tikka, 300WSM
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 300WSM
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Hunting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight, Lowlight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 100-600 yds
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Illuminated, Lightweight
  • What is the price range you can afford? $2000 or less

I'm trying to put a new scope on my 300WSM. This is going to be used for hunting purposes out to 500-600yds. Shots can be all the way down to sub 100yds as well. I keep coming back to the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x50 in the Illuminated Fire Dot or TMOA reticle also looked at the Burris XTR iii in SCR Illuminated. Just wondering if there's a scope out there I'm missing on my short list before I pull the trigger on one. I've went back and fourth between SFP vs FFP. I want this to be as geared for practical hunting purposes and situations as possible. Any feedback or suggestions???
The Schmidt bender zenith is the best hunting scope under 1800.

It can be had for less at eurooptic

And yes I have one on my hunting rifle.

A lighter less expensive scope is the sb classic.

But if I had 2k I’d buy the zenith.

The classic definitely has different technology with the illumination. Superior being the zenith. Other than that, classic is lighter, and my eyes can not tell a difference. They both track accurately, the glass is second to none. And I just bought tangent theta 315 lrh. Every one said it’s the best of best, I do not feel it is any better than either Schmidt’s, besides I do like the turret, but I hate it’s turret the same. Also I can’t stand the adjustable parallax has no numeric markers, I just feel I never adjust our parallax correctly. I most likely will sell the tt315 and put the classic back on that rifle.