• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best Hunting Scope under $2k

I know it isn't going to have the glass clarity of others, but it would be worth your while to take a look at the Burris Veracity. I have a bushnell dmr2, burris XTR2'S, steiner p4xi and a zeiss v4 conquest and i just like my Burris Veracity more for my hunting rifle. The ffp e1 reticle uses a progressively thick reticle and is easy to find at low power and low light because of this excellent reticle. It has the optional exposed turret, and like my XTR2, it is excellent.
This is the 3-15×50 that i just got. Sorry about the phone pics, it is hard to bto hold steady. The trees are about 200 yards and this is at 4 and 6 power

Attachments

• 20210318_142345.jpg
    20210318_142345.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20210318_141833.jpg
    20210318_141833.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: J-Ham and D_TROS
Also, how is Burris's warranty?

Says "Forever warranty no questions asked" right on the box. If concerned about reticle being too thin, don't get the SCR2. Also, the illuminated is supposed to be a touch thicker.

Reactions: D_TROS
Looked at NXS, but have heard NX8 has slightly better glass
Just depends what you really need. If you are out to spend the most money possible then go buy an ATACR. NXS glass is crystal clear. If you are inclined to spend more money, I’d buy a Mark5HD 3.6-18. No need for 32 power hunting.

Reactions: dmossu
By that standard the NF ATACR is behind the razor gen II. The forum was for a purchase for a new hunting gun and he was thinking about NF. But why would he pay 2000k for a scope or 1800 for a gen 2 when he can pay 1500 for one that has the same QC from the same factory in China or Korea.
The sample size is far too small on all scopes except the Gen 2 to accurately describe anything else.
You assume that because something originates in the same place that they are equal, but that doesn't actually check out in real life. On top of that, Vortex disassembles the G2s in house and adds proprietary parts and then does a final QC check.

Just depends what you really need. If you are out to spend the most money possible then go buy an ATACR. NXS glass is crystal clear. If you are inclined to spend more money, I’d buy a Mark5HD 3.6-18. No need for 32 power hunting.
Really just looking for the best quality optic for the least amount lol. You think it's worth saving a few bucks and getting the NXS

Really just looking for the best quality optic for the least amount lol. You think it's worth saving a few bucks and getting the NXS
Yeah I think you have to decide what magnification you want. For what you listed for on a hunting rifle, you will just have to decide if 10x is enough. I have a 30-06 hunting rifle with a nxs 2.5-10 on it. I am the same as you. 500yards and in. You can usually find the nxs models for around $1300 used. If you are going to drop that kind of money though, you may want to go to a dealer and look at a few side by side.

Yeah I think you have to decide what magnification you want. For what you listed for on a hunting rifle, you will just have to decide if 10x is enough. I have a 30-06 hunting rifle with a nxs 2.5-10 on it. I am the same as you. 500yards and in. You can usually find the nxs models for around $1300 used. If you are going to drop that kind of money though, you may want to go to a dealer and look at a few side by side.
I was thinking the 4-32 magnification would be nice, but like you said, probably unnecessary and useless for majority of hunting. I have also read NX8 really gets blury/has bad edge clarity (no idea if that is true).

Looking now at the NXS, Zeiss V6, or Burris XTR3 - seems that the few extra $ doesn't really get you any more. I looked at the Mark 5HD, but have read a lot of complaints too

I was thinking the 4-32 magnification would be nice, but like you said, probably unnecessary and useless for majority of hunting. I have also read NX8 really gets blury/has bad edge clarity (no idea if that is true).

Looking now at the NXS, Zeiss V6, or Burris XTR3 - seems that the few extra $ doesn't really get you any more. I looked at the Mark 5HD, but have read a lot of complaints too
The only NX8 I’ve had experience with is the 1-8. I didn’t care for it at all. Globe effect around the edges at 1x power bothered me personally. I think the x8 magnification ranges still need to be improved on. The x5s and x6s are pretty mature and clear. Nightforce is a solid company. Reliable. They are proven in the field too.

You have a nice build going though. I’d use that extra money you save on a scope for another tag 🙂

The NX8 is better than the NXS in terms of glass. I had a NXS and sold it because my Sightron SIII had better glass. The atacr is another class above the NX8. You can pick up the NXS for $1300 ish area on here tho. NX8 or atacr will obviously be more $$

Reactions: D_TROS and dmossu
You assume that because something originates in the same place that they are equal, but that doesn't actually check out in real life. On top of that, Vortex disassembles the G2s in house and adds proprietary parts and then does a final QC check.
No, I assume that he would want to save 300$ for the same quality scope of he could do so. You obviously didn't read the entirety of my posts with that response.

There is a thread on the new minox lr. Looks to be a good scope

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I have a Razor AMG on my 300WM hunting rifle and a LRHS on my .308 and they both work great, but I think i prefer the LRHS for hunting. Compact, good-enough glass and a great reticle make it tough to beat for me.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I have a Razor AMG on my 300WM hunting rifle and a LRHS on my .308 and they both work great, but I think i prefer the LRHS for hunting. Compact, good-enough glass and a great reticle make it tough to beat for me.
Yep many good suggestions on here. I think at the end of the day it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

NXS is cheapest, but lowest quality/outdated
NX8 is a little better glass but more money
MK5HD appears the best, but for illuminated reticle is the most money

The illuminated MK5HD is not far from the ATACR line in price, so it just builds from there haha.

^I would love to check one out - supposedly tier 1 glass, light weight, and only 30mm. Negatives might be reticle, moa only, and limited adjustment range.

On hunting rifles I have several Swaro Z3 and Z5s. Lightweight, great glass. I get the BT models then replace the elevation turret with an exposed MOA marked one, and get the reticle with windage holds.

4-16 mag range would be sufficient, higher mag gives you better identification of course. Hunting setup you will want something light. And not the most busy reticle.

Yep many good suggestions on here. I think at the end of the day it just comes down to how much you want to spend.

NXS is cheapest, but lowest quality/outdated
NX8 is a little better glass but more money
MK5HD appears the best, but for illuminated reticle is the most money

The illuminated MK5HD is not far from the ATACR line in price, so it just builds from there haha.
Wouldn't say NXS lowest quality, I'm sure the are still built the same as they always were. Wish I still had mine, don't feel glass quality held me back.
NX8's have some quirks that are talked about in here.

Wouldn't say NXS lowest quality, I'm sure the are still built the same as they always were. Wish I still had mine, don't feel glass quality held me back.
NX8's have some quirks that are talked about in here.
Yeah I have never looked through one, trying to base it off people on here. I think I ruled out NX8, really now it is deciding if I want to save some money and buy an NXS for like $1,700 or try to find a used ATACR on here for like $2k

Yeah I have never looked through one, trying to base it off people on here. I think I ruled out NX8, really now it is deciding if I want to save some money and buy an NXS for like $1,700 or try to find a used ATACR on here for like $2k
Don’t pay $1700 for the NXS. They go on here for $1250-$1500 in the px regularly

Both scopes will be reliable. The Atacr is 34 mm tube vs 30 on the NXS. The glass is better on the atacr. The illumination is way better on the atacr. Red/green and adjustable. The NXS is a pull knob and you need to take the cap off to adjust the brightness. Both have the rotating ocular which is disliked by many. But the ATACR comes with tenebrex caps that rotate and make that issue non existent

If your willing to spend $1700 on the NXS then definitely spend the few hundred extra and pick up a used atacr. If you have a $1500 max budget then NXS is a contender

I’ve owned both, they both work, they’re both worth the $$, but the NXS isn’t on the same level as the atacr. The NX8 splits the difference and takes away the rotating ocular if it’s truly that big of an issue

Don’t pay $1700 for the NXS. They go on here for $1250-$1500 in the px regularly

Both scopes will be reliable. The Atacr is 34 mm tube vs 30 on the NXS. The glass is better on the atacr. The illumination is way better on the atacr. Red/green and adjustable. The NXS is a pull knob and you need to take the cap off to adjust the brightness. Both have the rotating ocular which is disliked by many. But the ATACR comes with tenebrex caps that rotate and make that issue non existent

If your willing to spend $1700 on the NXS then definitely spend the few hundred extra and pick up a used atacr. If you have a $1500 max budget then NXS is a contender

I’ve owned both, they both work, they’re both worth the $$, but the NXS isn’t on the same level as the atacr. The NX8 splits the difference and takes away the rotating ocular if it’s truly that big of an issue
How much do the ATACR's usually run on here? For the 4-16?

How much do the ATACR's usually run on here? For the 4-16?
I paid $1700 for mine. 4-16 X 42 ATACR F1 with MOAR reticle

I paid $1250 for my NXS 5.5-22 moar reticle on here just for reference. I sold that as my Sightron SIII 6-24 had better glass
D32DC1AC-29C4-488C-8E33-456165BD23AD.jpeg

NF 2.5-10x24 if you can find one.
On a .300? No thanks. 0% chance of spotting your impact

A x32 will have a more forgiving eyebox and a x42 will have an even better eyebox along with a higher price tag and adj parallax.

For what you’re looking to do the 4-32 is perfect. If you want to shed some weight then get a 2-10x32/42.

I wouldn’t equip a rifle with anything but a Nightforce on an even somewhat “special” hunt.

Surprised everyone went full tactical with this thread.

https://www.eurooptic.com/53174-Leica-LEICA-MAGNUS-18-12x50-i-L-Ballistic-BDC--MPN-531.aspx over 2k but this is a true alpha scope, close to price range.

If you want to be under, get a zeiss v6. Damn good glass.

I’d also consider finding a used kahles 6-24 for hunting. Best eye box and huge FOV. 2k is kinda a bad spot to buy a new scope at. You can go more and get better bang for your buck like the Magnus, or go 1600ish and get a scope that meets your needs. I’d focus on used market and cast a wide net, you can catch alphas at 2k used all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigwatchpilot
Anyone have any experience with a Swaro X5 5-25? I can get one for $1,700

How does it compare to the above

A friend has one.

I've got a S&B PMII 5-25, a couple March FFP scopes, and the X5 has better glass to me.

But I don't prefer the reticle, the tall elevation knob, or the weight. Everytime my bud goes to rezero it on another rifle it requires 'THE" special tool. No I can't remember how that all works but that's the jist of it.

Maybe not a lifetime hunt but for regular hunting I want to use my new Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR scope. Everything about it seems stout and I can't complain about the glass. Love the new thicker mil reticle with .3 mil center dot, circle of death, and locking turrets. You WILL NOT lose this reticle against dark backgrounds on low magnification but still have a huge FOV to take advantage of.

Whether tougher or not I couldn't say but I like that Helos more than these scopes I've owned, NF NXS 5.5-22, NF F1 3-15, NF 2.5-10, Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21, Bushnell 3-12 LRHS, and a slew of lesser scopes that to me aren't worth mentioning. It's that good!

Last edited:
A friend has one.

I've got a S&B PMII 5-25, a couple March FFP scopes, and the X5 has better glass to me.

But I don't prefer the reticle, the tall elevation knob, or the weight. Everytime my bud goes to rezero it on a another rifle it requires 'THE" special tool. No I can't remember how that all works but that's the jist of it.

Maybe not a lifetime hunt but for regular hunting I want to use my new Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42 DMR scope. Everything about it seems stout and I can't complain about the glass. Love the new thicker mil reticle with .3 mil center dot, circle of death, and locking turrets. You WILL NOT lose this reticle against dark backgrounds on low magnification but still have a huge FOV to take advantage of.

Whether tougher or not I couldn't say but I like that Helos more than these scopes I've owned, NF NXS 5.5-22, NF F1 3-15, NF 2.5-10, Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21, Bushnell 3-12 LRHS, and a slew of lesser scopes that to me aren't worth mentioning. It's that good!
I hear good things about the Athlon, I plan on getting one of those for another hunting rifle I own just to try them out. I think though I am going to try to find a used 4-15x50 ATACR F2 for my long range gun.

I went from a 5.5x22 NXS to a 3.3x18 XTR3. While the NXS was good glass, they are outdated and not a fair comparison to the new Burris.

Find an old Premier Reticle Light Tactical (3-15x50) scope. They awesome and outstanding as a hunting scope. They came with MOA or Mil reticles and turrets. You should be able to find one here in the Hide for a great price.

Reactions: ACW39
Used is definitely your friend here. You can sometimes pick up some top shelf glass here for that price. I've seen some Kahles pop up here and there for around that price point.

Surprised everyone went full tactical with this thread.
Yeah, i have plenty of target scopes and they don't make good hunting scopes at low light in a wooded area unless it is lighted, and i just never turn on the lighted reticle. It does make a difference that a well designed hunting reticle is used in a hunting situation. Sure you can always use something for what it wasn't necessarily designed for since hunting is only a week a year, but it matters to me.

Swarovski Z6 maybe? Disclaimer: I don’t own one (yet) although I have several other Swaro optics. For an upper tier lightweight hunting scope with excellent glass that’s where my thoughts usually land....
Agree with this, except I've owned 3, and kick myself for selling them.

They can be had used under $2k, or even new, depending on model.

Reactions: fanninland
that's funny.

nightforce doesn't have a scope i'm interested in. their reticles suck for hunting.

if the nxs 2.5-10x42 would go FFP and the Mil r a bit thicker.. i'd own one again.

till then swfa 3-9. everytime.