• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long-range caliber to reload for the dollar.

clenahan403

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2011
I am building a 1 or less MOA@100 recreational target rifle and had .308Win set in my sights...
Until people started mentioning that other calibers, chiefly 6.5Creedmoor were becoming the target shooters choice...

I have no personal preference to any rounds, other than .308Win, but I will most certainly be handloading my rounds after I accumulate some empty brass.

So my question; Short but I'm sure hardly simple.

What do you guys think is the, we'll say, most practical round to target shoot and economically reload is? With the possibility of reaching 1200-1400 yards.

I am willing to spend the money on the ammo to practice up to and beyond 1200.
My thoughts circle around .243,6.5,260,270...I know sub-30cal rounds have better long range trajectories and cost less to reload..

I will say i'd like to keep it under a buck a *reloaded* round.

Re: Best long-range caliber to reload for the dollar.

probably still the 308. The trajectory is one thing, but the BC is another and a heavier bullet will travel with less drift than a lighter bullet. 1200+ is a stretch for a lot of calibers, so do you're research before you decide. If I was planning on going that far then I would probably upgrade to a bigger caliber, but if all you're doing is punching paper then the terminal ballistics/velocity doesn't really matter. the 6.5 is a good round for punching paper, but 6.5 bullets don't come cheap! I'm not sure what to recommend, but I'd think that you would want to consider the build cost as well. You can get into a 308, probably, cheaper then anything really as there should be a lot of good used guns out there and if money is no object on a build then the cost of shooting shouldn't really be a problem either. A 300WM or 6.5/284 would be excellent considerations if more then paper punching is desired. They will reach the distance and provide pretty darn good terminal ballistics at the ranges you want. I've read of people saying they can reload for less than $1 a round on some big cartridges, but I don't know exactly what or all they are adding in. If it's just the components it takes to reload a round then yeah you probably can, but if they are factoring in the cost of brass and such then no you probably can't. I don't factor in the cost of my equipment and brass when I figure my dollar per round, as it is not practical at that point really.

You see my point..As you said I'm not worried about terminal ballistics..

This is a strictly out-of-the-box build, gunsmithing (what I can't do atleast), adds up-front cost and build-time. Also, although I know the advantages of accurizing a rifle, I plan to upgrade pieces over time anyways. So aside from reciever/action work it would <span style="font-weight: bold">"</span>almost<span style="font-weight: bold">"</span> be wasted money.

Found a 1900rounds fired creedmoor online USD2100 with alot of kit and accurizing but it sold last year.

Still, is the creedmoor (mind handloaded not factory ammo) the best? I mean it looks like a decent price/round (factory 1.75usd, handload ~.55usd) but I've got room to go up there.

I could chart out all the rounds I know up to 30cal and price them out to reload, but I'm just trying to draw on some experience and narrow my selection down a bit.

I have used .260 Rem for LR for about a decade. It's effective, but borderline underpowered beyond 1000yd. I'm working at developing the .280 Rem as a more potent replacement that combines reasonable handloading costs and reasonable recoil to get out beyond 1000yd with more authority.

I would really like to see Savage adopt this cartridge as a factory chambering for heavy barrel rifles, like their BR and F Open, as well as LR Hunters and the 110 BA. I think they could sell a lot more long action rifles if they did.

We here have long suggested they re-adopt the .260 Rem, they finally did, and the rifles are moving. I think the same thing could happen with the .280 Rem.

Greg

I'm looking to stay out of the new new, I like the established calibers for there variety of bullets and not going off the market any time soon..

but yes both the 260 and 280 have some advantages over the 6.5mm, i see almost across the board ~100-200 more fps in the same weight of bullet.

I agree with Greg, I shoot a 260 as well and love the caliber. Bullets are fairly easy to get, the .264 or 6.5mm bullets have been around for a long time it's just in the later years the 260 was turned a factory offering from the old 6.5-08 wildcat. I have shot mine to 1100 yds with success and inside of that it is a great choice, all components are reasonable. Beyond that 1100 yd mark thought I would go for heavier and faster like the wssm's or some of the Ackleys and a bullet 160 grains or more. Do some homework on the ballistics charts. But remember if 80% of your shooting is inside of 1000 you are beating yourself and your pocket book up to shoot one of the big boomers all the time. Big difference in recoil and expense when you go from 30 or 40 grains of powder to 65 plus! Good Luck.

7mm Rem Mag might be another option to think about. The costs of just about everything goes down when you stick to the 'established' calibers, for lack of a better word. And the performance is not too shabby either.

unfortunatly i dont think the words "long range" and "economic" go together

6.5 is good , 338 mag is good , or 300 mag , any of those will do.

If *value* is crucial, I believe 308 is THE answer.

If you're buying quality ammo factory ammo, you'll save a lot with a 308 compared to anything else.

If you're loading ammmo: Bullets are a tick more expensive than other calibers, and you'll use a tick more powder than others, but...the barrel lasts way WAY longer. Brass is anywhere between free, and only "moderately" priced.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MickyTwoshoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my question; Short but I'm sure hardly simple.

What do you guys think is the, we'll say, most practical round to target shoot and economically reload is? With the possibility of reaching 1200-1400 yards.</div></div>

1400 yards basically puts the 308 out of contention. 1300 it can do, 1400 is "over the edge", 1250 is more like its real terminal limits at sea level and std atmospheric conditions. You might be able to load a 208 and get 1325.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MickyTwoshoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So my question; Short but I'm sure hardly simple.

What do you guys think is the, we'll say, most practical round to target shoot and economically reload is? With the possibility of reaching 1200-1400 yards.</div></div>

1400 yards basically puts the 308 out of contention. 1300 it can do, 1400 is "over the edge", 1250 is more like its real terminal limits at sea level and std atmospheric conditions. You might be able to load a 208 and get 1325. </div></div>

Very true. When I suggested 308, I was hoping the OP was being a little optimistic/exaggerating the 1200-1400 yard need.

I contend that a 308 is pretty darned decent at 1000, fair at 1100, poor at 1200, unsatisfactory at 1300 and hopeless beyond 1300.

I know, I know... someone has scored a hit at 2 miles with their 308....

for all practical purposes, the 308win doesn't fit what you're asking for so, you might as well shelf that one.

Bases on your criteria, there are a LOT of choices.

I like the 260..or, what's the new Lapua round 6.5x48? ( I don't remember ).... or, you can jump to a magnum... 7mm wm, 7mm wsm, 300wsm, 300wm ( and there are a lot of others too ).

calibers like the 270 won't really work... not that it's not a nice caliber but, to shoot truly long range, somebody has to make bullets for it that have a high ballistic coefficient... the 270 isn't one of those calibers that mfgrs are making those bullets for.

I'm pretty sure you can load all of those for under a buck/round. I load the 300wm for less than that.

Honestly, the 308win may make 1400yds if you live in the mountains but, even so, I wouldn't suggest it to shoot 1400yds with.

The downside to getting some of the hotter calibers is that you will be changing barrels more often.

If you don't really plan to shoot more than 1000yds often at all, get the 308win... you can put 5k rounds down the barrel of one of those before you have to change it. If you plan on shooting a lot of rounds outside of 800yds, buy something else. ( IMHO )

Also, the assumption that sub 30cal bullets are better all depends on the application. The bullet caliber really means nothing when considering what to get.... it's all about the availability of high ballistic coefficent bullets... so, for example, if a bullet has a ballistic coefficient of .649 and another has a ballistic coefficient of .600, launched at the same speed, the .649 bullet will go a lot farther... it makes no difference which one is heavier or larger in diameter ( typically heavier bullets have better BC but, this is not always so ).

A good example of this is that the published ballistic coefficient of a 220gr sierra match king 30 caliber bullet is like .629 and the published BC of a 208gr AMAX is .649.... the 208gr can be made to go faster than the 220gr bullet simply because of the weight of the bullet alone but, because the BC is higher in the 208gr already, the choice is simple.

Your answer is not a simple one to come up with but, you have to decide what you want.... I know some guys shooting a super hot 6.5x284 and they buy three barrels at a time because they change them every 600-900 rounds... I chose something sort of inbetween..... 300wm will get the job done, the 208gr AMAX bullet is simply amazing. I can shoot it well in excess of 1500yds (many are shooting this combo out to 1800-1900yds ) without even loading it really hot.... I I don't have to overwork the brass so, I get great brass life and I get over 2k rounds from it and, if you're careful and don't overheat your barrel much, you can get more barrel life than that.

My advice to you is make sure and frame what it is you're trying to do. I hate to see guys trying to soup up their 308s when they shouldn't have bought a 308 to do the job at hand. Make sure and get the right tool for the right job. I've got 308s and, they're great but, I don't shoot them much outside of 800yds. I'll take it out at the 1000yd line sometimes but, the 300wm shines at the 1000yd line and, when the conditions are not terrible, I can hit as many 4" clay targets as I miss with the 300wm at 1000yds... this is much harder to do and honestly, I've never seen anyone have much luck with 4" skeet with a 308 at the 1000yd line.

If you do decide to get a magnum, put a muzzle brake on it.... it will save your shoulder and add a lot to the enjoyment of shooting it ( mine doesn't push at all with a brake on it ). If you plan on going F-Class match route, buy a 260 or 6.5 and call it a day. (IMHO).. they don't burn as much powder and are a lot easier on the shoulder. ( since you can't put a brake on a rifle you shoot in an F-class match )

I'm sure I haven't helped you much but, I hope me and all the others that posted before me helped you make a better, informed decision.

I suggest you start with a 308, learn from your mistakes and preferences, then build a 300 win mag, then a 338 lapua. Those calibers work for the SEALS, what's not to like?

If you want a mild recoiling rifle, the 6.5s are great.

A 7mm magnum is superb especially with those 180 grain pills. But recoil is obviously a factor.

The venerable .30cal will easily get you to 1000 yards when pushed hard (155 scenars are good for this). If the MV is questionable, a .30cal magnum will easily get you there. 210 and 240 SMK's rock the casbah when pushed at good speeds
smile.gif

OP... when I read your post the first answer that came to mind is the 7WSM. If you want something to do 1000+yards then I consider anything outside of 300 Norma Mag a waste of time in any .30 configuration. Heres why. Anything the .30s will do, the 6.5s and 7mms will do it better in most aspects for cheaper with less recoil...that's the bottom line. If you want an easy shooter then go .260 or at least 6.5creed. If you want a more dependable shooter to a mile then go with a 7mag or a 7wsm or a 7saum in the least. Put a break on the 7s and ease your pain. All of these are less than a dollar a pop to load you own.

I highly suggest abandoning the .30s for what you want. I see your typical .308 as a 800-900 yard gun. Unless your a Palma shooter with a 30" barrel then something else will do much better than that. 300wsm...- in short to much recoil and the bullets still suffer in the BC.

7-08 easy to find brass, more high BC bullets than you can shake a stick at and my current load doesn't drop bellow 1000fps until 1 mile. All on a 308 case with 47.2g of H4350

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7-08 easy to find brass, more high BC bullets than you can shake a stick at and my current load doesn't drop bellow 1000fps until 1 mile. All on a 308 case with 47.2g of H4350 </div></div>

What bullets you shooting and what's your muzzle velocity? That makes me want to get a 7-08.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jsthntn247</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7-08 easy to find brass, more high BC bullets than you can shake a stick at and my current load doesn't drop bellow 1000fps until 1 mile. All on a 308 case with 47.2g of H4350 </div></div>

What bullets you shooting and what's your muzzle velocity? That makes me want to get a 7-08. </div></div>

Perhaps the most suitable 708 bullet is the 162gr Amax, or the 162 Hornady HPBT. I'm not sure of the BC on the HPBT, but the amax has a published BC of .625. Most 708s can sling them out at 2750fps or so.

708 is a great caliber. I DAMN near chose that caliber myself, but instead chose a 284win for a little more juice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGosnell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.284 win. </div></div>

As excited as I am for my 284, the 708 is a tough act to follow:

1. Good brass super available and easily formed
2. More efficient - thus requiring less barrel length
3. Good to go on a short action. 284 is "best" on a LA.
4. Better barrel life

I have guns that I have shot at 100 yards:
17HMR, .22lr, .222, .223, .243, 6mmBR,.243Win, 257 Roberts AI, 260Rem, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57mm, 7mm Rem mag, 30 Mauser, 7.62x25mm, 30-30, 303Sav,.308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 300RUM, 7.5 Swiss, 7.62x39mm, 303Brit, 7.62x54R, 8x57mm, 338WM, 44 mag, 45acp, 45Colt, 45/70, and 12 ga slugs.

I have guns I have shot at 200 yards:
.223, 270, 7mmRemMag

I have guns I have shot at 500 yards:
270, 7mmRemMag

I have a gun I have shot at 600 yards:
7mmRemMag

I had some missed shots in 2008, so I started reading Snipers hide. In just 3 short years, my range for clean kills in windless conditions has moved from 400 to 500 yards.

At the rate I am improving, I should be getting clean kills at 1200 yards in 21 more years of reading Snipers Hide.

best bang for the buck. And just fun!

I run the 162bthp because I was having stability problems with the amaxes past 1100. I'm getting 2780fps out of my 26" barrel. OAL is 2.870 so I can also easily mag feed and with a brake installed it kicks less than a 223 so impacts are easy to adjust onto target.

Good luck,
Pm me if you have any more questions.

Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tango__Down</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP... when I read your post the first answer that came to mind is the 7WSM. If you want something to do 1000+yards then I consider anything outside of 300 Norma Mag a waste of time in any .30 configuration. Heres why. Anything the .30s will do, the 6.5s and 7mms will do it better in most aspects for cheaper with less recoil...that's the bottom line. If you want an easy shooter then go .260 or at least 6.5creed. If you want a more dependable shooter to a mile then go with a 7mag or a 7wsm or a 7saum in the least. Put a break on the 7s and ease your pain. All of these are less than a dollar a pop to load you own.

I highly suggest abandoning the .30s for what you want. I see your typical .308 as a 800-900 yard gun. Unless your a Palma shooter with a 30" barrel then something else will do much better than that. 300wsm...- in short to much recoil and the bullets still suffer in the BC.

</div></div>

Tango_Down summarized my thoughts. I went with a 7mm WSM, but any of the 7mm mags will do. 338 Lapau and 50cal as well, but recoil is significantly higher as well as cost.

I don't think the 7mm mags recoil are that bad that you absolutely need a muzzle break, unless you are shooting for extended sessions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MickyTwoshoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to stay out of the new new, I like the established calibers for there variety of bullets and not going off the market any time soon..

but yes both the 260 and 280 have some advantages over the 6.5mm, i see almost across the board ~100-200 more fps in the same weight of bullet. </div></div>

.280 is not a New caliber. It would be a new chambering for Savage.

Also .260 is a 6.5 bullet. Think of it as a 6.5-08 (Parent case is .308).

Very seriously, I think we've been overlooking the .280 Rem for far too long; probably because better 7mm LR bullets have not been available until relatively lately.

It does everything the .260 or 7-08 will do but with considerably more authority. I think it can also sling lighter bullets better/further than the .30-'06; achieving at least comparable LR performance with a smaller recoil penalty. Where the .30-'06 can marginally rival the .300WM, the ,280 can do it better, with less recoil, and without requiring a magnum bolt face.

Throat wear-wise, it's a little more aggressive than the .30-'06, but I don't think it's as aggressive in that as the 6.5-284.

I have too many irons in the fire right now, but the .280 remains one of my more compelling projects. Right now, this Winter, it's holding onto the back burner among the .30BR and 7.62x39 200yd projects.

As a deer hunter, it's become my longer distance rifle of choice using a Ruger MKI sporter and Hornady 139gr SST Superformance loads. Shorter distance deer work is allocated to either 20ga slug guns or my Win 94AE 44Mag.

As a target caliber, it's still in early load development stages for another Ruger MKI with its Varmint weight barrel, and I could benefit from a more accessible range with 500+yd capability.

As a LR, non-magnum chambering, I consider the .280 to have seriously better than average development potential for a serious attempt to master the 1400yd regime. I see it as especially appealing to folks with long actions and .473" bolt face diameters as a switch barrel chambering. It could be especially interesting with significantly longer barrels, which could make better use of the additional case capcity. Considering the prospect of shooting a 150gr bullet supersonic to 1000yd is soooo tempting.

Folks like us never had a problem recognizing the .260's potential even back when the rest of the shooting community was ho-humming it into an early grave.

Just as the 260 seems to be the 308 optimized, I think the .280 represents the .30-'06 optimized.

Now, I think that in our haste to dance the dance of the .260, we overlooked the .280.

Time overdue to correct that one.

Greg

Greg,
I know I have talked to you befor about the 280. My soninlaw has one in a hunting rifle with a Kreiger hunting weight barrel on it and its very accurate.

I just built a 284 and really like it. Its a hammer to say the least. Its the most "Consistantly" accurate rifle I own right now. I have shot it out to 1200yds with no problems and it groups well even at those ranges. On a decent day it will shoot around .5MOA 5 shot groups at 1000yds.

My soninlaw has gotten into shooting tactical matches now and was so impressed with mine that now he is building a 284 for himself. The Winchester brass is great brass and works very well and is cheap to buy there is also a lot of data out there on the 284s now that they are doing so well in the F Class matches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. Where the .30-'06 can marginally rival the .300WM, the ,280 can do it better, with less recoil, and without requiring a magnum bolt face...</div></div>

I have converted a surplus Mauser VZ24 to 300 Win Mag and I have converted another to 7mmRemMag.

I have opened the bolt faces up on the lathe.

VZ24magnummodifiedandoriginalc.jpg

Mauserboltfacemagmodandoriginal.jpg

It is an uninterrupted cut in surface hardened steel, but the amount of metal removed is the size of a match head, so just go slow.

I have worked up loads to the threshold of long brass life with both the 1889 Mauser case head used in the 280 and the 1925 Holland and Holland case head used in the 7mmRemMag, and the magnum can go to a higher pressure without loose primer pockets.

The 7mmRemMag is hard to beat for long range hunting.

My vote is for the 6.5x47 Lapua. Many will argue the cost and availability of brass is an issue but buy in bulk. I have a 123 Lapua Scenar load that uses 37.4 gr of RE15 and gets me 2890 FPS. I was at the range today getting some shots with IMR 8208XBR and 130 Berger's. I'm pushing the Bergers with 35.0 gr and getting 2815 FPS. ES was 9 and accuracy was very good with no signs of pressure. I believe I can improve the accuracy and get a little more velocity but that will take a couple more trips to the range.

Excellent disscussion so far.

For me, vs in general. I think i'm almost sold on 6.5mm (narrowing make down)

Value isn't number 1, ballistics and range is. But value is certainly 2nd with the number of shots I usually take in an afternoon. and I will sacrifice some value for a gain in ballistics and range..

Like i said i'm willing to reload for a buck(bullet/powder/primer)...that's quite a spread of calibers..

Any of the 6.5s (6.5x47 lapua, .260rem, 6.5cm) will cost about the same to reload as .308 but will reach out farther and fill the ballistic gap between .308 and the magnums. Magnums cost more to load as they use nearly twice as much powder.

6.5x47L brass is a little costly but getting better, 7-08 brass cheaper 7mm bullets easier to find at least where I live, 7-08 been used for long range shooting along time 6.5 has higher BC then 7mm, I have a 7-08 so of course I like the 7-08

I would think 260rem, 7mm08 and I have heard of people having success with 30-06 and 208amax. If you want a mag then 300win or something 7mm would be your best bet. Tons and tons of good 6.5, 7mm and 7.62 bullets out there for not much $$$$ and brass for those calibers is easy to find.

The endless argument of the best caliber choice. Just be realistic with your goals and have fun. You'll have other guns so for now get whatever floats ur boat and worry about another caliber another day. Focus on one!

6BR improved or Dasher as it's known. Should still be running 1300+ at 1400 yards
and doing it on a very small amount of powder and 107 grain bullets. Lead and copper still are sold by weight for the most part as is powder. The 6BRX should deliver about the same velocities with a little easier case forming. These guns are
really starting to prove themselves in competition and already hold some records
that may never be broken in aggregate scoring. Which is the true measure of what
a gun can do consistently (Or should I say what a shooter can do with a particular
gun consistently.) Boomers wear you down over time and the record books prove
that out.

http://www.6mmbr.com/6brimproved01.html
http://www.6mmar.com/6mm_Dasher.php

I think the 260 or any 6.5 variant is tough to beat. I reload my 260AI for approximately $.50/round.

IMHO the 6mm and 6.5mm bullets rule LR competitions for a reason, high BC bullets and low recoil are the reasons, I always want to shoot a round that can feed from a short action magazine, and not go in the poor house using brass that costs 1 dollar a piece or more, the cost of the brass is important to me because I leave 50% of my brass in the dirt\grass at a match, I chose 260Rem 2 yrs ago, and I'm glad I did.

Between my .260, .308 and .300 WM, the .260 puts the biggest smile on my face for the least dollar (I reload for all 3).
.300 WM with the new 225 Hornady bullet @ 2820 is badass but you pay the price in recoil (even with a brake), burns more powder, less barrel life. I shoot mine, but not nearly as much as I do my .308 and .260.
-------
.308 components are abundant, load recipes are endless, match grade ammo is usually always available and internet knowledge on this caliber is endless......etc, etc, etc, Yes it would do the job, but don't know that it would be your best choice to meet your listed criteria of shooting to 1400 yards with it. Possible but not probable!
-------
.260 It puts the biggest smile on my face and I have yet to regret switching from the .308. The ballistics are superior and the recoil is nil. Shooting suppressed is just silly. Its like shooting a 22 lr with .300 win mag ballistics. No the .260 does not hit the steel as hard as the .300 WM, but a hit is a hit! All the 6.5 variants (6.5 CM, 6.5x47 are viable choices I'm sure) 6.5 CM has gained popularity due the low cost of factory match ammo compared to .260 or 6.5x47....More time shooting, less time reloading is the theory.
Lot of good drivers on here shooting all the calibers you listed!

I'm with 427 and TresMon on this one!

The 6.5s are very appealing, but 7mm is king in my opinion! Only drawback is more recoil...

Before building my 284, I was SOLD on a 260 or 6.5CM, but because a bit of recoil doesnt bother me at all, the 7s called to me! Sorry, but there is nothing anyone can argue that can convince me their (slightly) higher velocity 6.5 is superior to the excellence that are the BCs available in 7mm....provided we're staying in the realm of "reasonable" calibers that can comfortably be fired a lot with no brake or can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 6.5s are very appealing, but 7mm is king in my opinion! Only drawback is more recoil.....</div></div>
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18220/sku=902-000-074/Product/Limbsaver-Grind-Large
Limbsaver.jpg

I can see 12 rifles I have with large Limbsaver grind to fit recoil pads, that I did not grind.
Recoil pain is from too many pounds per square inch of pressure on skin that has nerves in it.
The ways to reduce peak pressure is to <span style="color: #CC0000">spread the recoil over area, time, distance, and dampening</span>:
1) Soft [compliant] recoil pad that conforms to the shape of the body, so whole area of the pad applies pressure to the body.
2) Large area recoil pad. The larger the area, the lower the pressure.
3) Correct softness of thick recoil pad should compress full length but not bottom out, thus spreading the recoil over the time it takes to compress the pad that distance.
4) Make pad of a material that is lossy [converts recoil energy into heat], and Limbsaver* is the one that does that.

With this system I can shoot a 338 Win Mag 250 gr 2650 fps from a rifle + scope = 9.25 lb and feel no pain.
So shooting 7mmRM 150 gr bullets 3150 fps from a rifle+scope+bipod = 11 pounds is like shooting a varmint rifle.

*"Sims Vibration Laboratory
NAVCOM™ the Magical Material
NAVCOM™ (Noise And Vibration Control Material) is a highly effective vibration control material that absorbs the transmission of vibration throughout the broadband spectrum of 10 to 30,000hz. It was developed by Steven C. Sims in 1980 after 18+ months’ testing and trying various combinations of butyl, raw silicone rubber, sorbothane, neoprene and numerous other visco elastic materials in reducing direct vibration. It gained its initial success in the audio, consumer electronics, aerospace and automotive industries. NAVCOM™ has since been used in numerous patented products including recording studio insulation, computer hard drive isolation, mounting grommets, equipment handles and multi-purpose vibration absorption pads. More recently NAVCOM™ is being applied to recreational and sporting equipment to improve performance and increase the participant’s comfort. Some of the prestigious companies using our products made of NAVCOM™ are Louisville Slugger® baseball bats, PowerBilt® golf clubs, PSE® bows, Hoyt® bows and Remington® Arms recoil pads to name a few.
Simply put, NAVCOM™ has the highest energy absorbtion rate with the fastest settling time characteristics of any material tested to date.
Each graph illustrates the amplitude of the generated wave as a function of maximum change in decibels. The horizontal axis shows the decay time in milliseconds. It is evident from testing that NAVCOM™ outperforms the other visco elastic materials in reducing direct vibration. This test represents only a small amount of the complete test data recorded for NAVCOM™."

I have settled with the 6.5mm Creedmoor, ballistics on factory and certainly reloaded ammunition are excellent and on par with the rest of the 6mm to 6.5mm range but the design and powders used in it extend barrel life between 400 and 1100 rounds depending on the load against the others, as I've read.

Also finally went to my semi-local gun shop and had a chat with the old man. He's shooting 6.5creedmoor and won't be switching any time soon.

Its an excellent caliber you will be happy.

Good luck,
Merritt

I believe the 308 is the best value. Good bullet selection, and still very cheap to reload. Plus everyone has one for sale. I have pushed mine to 1430, but it is a stretch. A buddy is having good luck with his 280. better ballistics, but it costs more to reload. I also have a 6.5/264 but it is a little light at distance for game. It all boils down to personal preference. Shoot what you like. My two cents.

I really think a 260 or 260AI is the best bang for the buck. Amax bullets are cheap, not a lot of powder consumption, wide range of brass and good barrel life. 1400 is very doable for the 260 and more so for the AI. I don't really think you can reload for 308 cheaper than 260 and the 260 slaps it around easily.

When I was making this decision I was almost reaady to pull the trigger on 7mag and then I went and shot a friends 300wm. He had a great break on it where the recoil was almost unfelt. The muzzle blast, however, had me flinching after about 15 rds. Then someone pointed out the 260 and I have never looked back. it is so easy on recoil that i can shoot all day with no issues and the ballistics are just flat out phenominal. Barrel wear is middle of the road and reloading is fairly cheap. I am using 7-08 brass necked down to the 260 so I can use the winchester brass and havent had any problems with brass life.
I am seriously thinking about getting a barrel chambered in 284 for F-class though because it is such an awesome round and a lot of the top F-class guys are moving that direction.

P.S. Why be stuck with one choice....284 has no problems on a short action, I have recently had a 308 barrel built for TR class and practice, use the 260 for tactical comps and will have the 284 barrel built for open class...all on the same action....just change barrels. You could add a 7-08 barrel if you like ...mix and match and have fun.