• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best long range calibers for the newbie reloader?

TwoNiner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Hi guys, I'm in the process of researching my first precision build. I've gained a lot of knowledge and confidence lately about tackling my first build in terms of actions, barrels, mil/mil scopes and quality of glass and tracking, etc. However, one thing I see limiting my success is my lack of reloading knowledge for precision bolt action rifles.

I originally was planning on a .284 cartridge rifle, however, it seems that there is a lot of work that goes into preparing the brass, and I don't see any good sources (eg. lapua) for the brass.

From your real world experiences, would starting out with a more common caliber (such as .308) be more appropriate? Perhaps something with a source of quality brass that cuts out some of the headache? I'm a bit intimidated by having to resize/neck-up/down brass, weigh/sort it and so forth. I feel like I'm getting in a bit over my head here! The extent of my reloading skills is basically reloading simple pistol calibers with my uncle in his garage on a sunny afternoon. How much reloading experience did you have when you got your first precision bolt action?

What I'd like to do is spend most of my time shooting instead of on the reloading bench (smacking my head against it). Thanks for all your advice!

Re: Best long range calibers for the newbie reloader?

I would start with a .308 because even in the "panic" ~ Parts for the rifle are still readily available because they're widely common.

What you could also do is buy something like a Savage Action, start on a .284 and then later move to a .308 ~ Could even go from a .223 and up -- With a savage, all you'd have to do is buy the new face and barrel...

Reloading parts for the 308 aren't so readily available on the other hand ~ You can order ammo but, I wouldn't expect it for 2-3 months, easily.

Thanks. I'm not concerned about immediate availability as I plan on having my build completed in the fall. Hopefully this whole mess will have blown over by then and components will be back in stock. As it stands now most everything from my usual component store (Cabelas) is out of stock anyways. I've had primers and powder on back order for a month now.

I would consider the 280 Remington. Ballistically the same as a 284 but with a long action. In a pinch you can neck down the 30-06 brass. Factory ammo is available as well if needed. New posers like Reloader 17 are really doing great in that cartridge.

The advantage to the 284 is a shorter COAL. You need to speak to your gunsmith about the best magazine or feeding methods for seating the heavy bullets long on a 280.

If you are shooting.. you are reloading. Brass prep isn't a big deal for say 100 rds.. but 500 can be a pain unless you do them over a few weeks. I changed to Lapua brass and love it. So good long range calibers Lapua has would be the .260 and 6.5-284. The .260 goes a long way and will be less harsh on barrels. You could just got to 338LM and be done. :) I must admit I try to stick to calibers that Lapua makes brass for, and they fill all the nitches.

I would offer some encouragement to not worry so much about a seemingly endless list of possible brass prep work tasks.
It may or may not be needed with ANY brass manufacturer-a strong case in point- how much brass prep do you think goes into factory Federal gold medal match loads and how well can that load shoot in soooo many rifles? The answer is none and extremely.
I have found that some bit of the brass work and cleaning black arts may be more to increase my confidence vs any difference on paper. YMMV

I first got into reloading a couple years ago. Everyone said read and reread a few books, start with a single stage... Blah blah blah

This ain't rocket science. Anyone with a 50iq can do it. Just remember this can kill you though. Do whatever caliber you want to go with. Research the hell out of it. Watch YouTube vids til the sun comes up, and for goodness sake get the best components and tools you can afford. I started off with the dillon 550b because I am a 1911 guy. Now that I entered the bolt world, I got a single stage for presicion.

Barrel life is definitely a concern for me. I don't want to change barrels every 1000 rounds.

On the other hand, terminal ballistics don't matter as I will be shooting paper or steel.

Recoil and cost per round is a factor, so no .338 Lapua for me. The .260 and .280 sound promising.

I don't know that any long range caliber is actually easier to laod than any other long range caliber.

They all got powder / primer / case / bullet.

I recommend full length sizing every case every time.

Other than that, its all easy.

I too would suggest 308 as there's a buzzillion powders / bullets for you to find the perfect load for your gun.

cant go wrong with 308 all the load data is out there, last match i went to the winner was using a 260.. im goin with a 6.5-06 but barrel life isnt great. i recommend u hang around the reloading section here theres much to b learned

Another vote for the .308 Winchester. My experience has been its very easy to load for.

A multitude of primer/powder/bullet combinations will work very well, barrel life should be 5-10 or 12000 rounds, lots of load data out there, shoot the barrel out and then try a 7-08 or something else. My 2 cents worth.
wink.gif

There is no practical diffence bewteen the .280 and .284. Brass prep will be the same for both. Wicnchester makes .284 brass, and you can come by it with relative ease. Forget all the bench rest brass prep voodoo. Do the LEAST amount of work you can to get the accuracy you seek. I take once fired Lake City military brass, (no weight or headstamp sorting) resize it, fill it with powder and shoot it with 1/2MOA results from a gas gun. NO primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, etc.

If I wasn't getting the results I was after, I'd starting adding these processes one by one from least to most time consumng until I did. Simple.

To start, I'd suggest staying away from any fireforming, etc. Just my opinion. I would not advise a .308 to start (although I love my .308s). There are just so many better cartridges that don't really cost any more to reload for. There are plenty of threads here to help you find a caliber. A few to consider would be .243, .260, 7-08 in a SA.

If terminal ballistics are not a factor you may want to try the 6.5 creedmore. Recoil will be easy, ballistics are great,barrel life is pretty good, feeds well and Hornady makes factory ammo and components.

I really like the fact that the load is labeled on the ammo box. How is that for an easy starting place? You can tweak it to your individual rifle but chances are that you won't need to.

I guess it would help to know what "long range" means to you as well. I was in the same boat last year and initially felt a bit overwhelmed. Now am reloading for 308, 243, 300 win, 280AI and about to start on 204. Pouring over the stickies in the reloading section here was invaluable. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference in finding accuracy if you have a procedure to follow step by step. That said, I did find that the 308 and 243 were the least finicky about powder and bullet selection--it was almost hard to find an inaccurate combo.

6.5 Creedmoor.

And I say that as a guy with two 260s in the safe.

Not sure how you're defining "long range," but 6BR is a super accurate and easy to load for cartridge that will get you out to 600+ with the heavy pills.

Long range for me would be 1000+ yards. I figure I can get by squeezing 600y+ out of my AR with Hornady 75g a-max bullets I have sitting in my reloading stash. Of course they might not go through the cardboard that the paper is stapled onto!

What would you guys consider the maximum effective range of some of the calibers mentioned including the 6.5 creedmoor and the 7mm-08? By effective range, I mean until the bullet becomes unstable or starts getting bullied around too much by the wind. Right now I'm leaning towards the 7mm round for the extra mass to resist wind at longer range. I have been reading through the caliber sticky and the 7mm-08 seems to have a lot of good feedback. I've also checked midwayusa and brass is plentiful as Winchester, Norma, and Nosler all make it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mike1023</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pouring over the stickies in the reloading section here was invaluable.</div></div>

Thanks for turning me onto the stickies in that forum--you've officially shot my weekend plans! Wow lots of great info in there. This forum = awesome.

According to my trajectory sheet from jbm a moderate load for .260 and 6.5 creedmoor will easily get you supersonic past 1500 yards. I didn't go past 1500yds on the sheet I printed out. I've settled on one of those two calibers for the AI I plan on getting soon just can't decide between the two....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikeltee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I first got into reloading a couple years ago. Everyone said read and reread a few books, start with a single stage... Blah blah blah

This ain't rocket science. Anyone with a 50iq can do it. Just remember this can kill you though. Do whatever caliber you want to go with. Research the hell out of it. Watch YouTube vids til the sun comes up, and for goodness sake get the best components and tools you can afford. I started off with the dillon 550b because I am a 1911 guy. Now that I entered the bolt world, I got a single stage for presicion. </div></div>

Since you started reloading pistol, any idiot can just throw powder in a case and jam in a bullet.

But since the OP is wanting the best accuracy possible, he needs to read and understand.

Ex. annealing, bumping shoulders back only .002", measuring off the lands, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6.5 Creedmoor.

And I say that as a guy with two 260s in the safe.</div></div>

+1 for 6.5 CM

Everyone should have a .308 but if don't want one just for the sake of having one, some the 6.5's are great (accurate, common, good barrel life) - .260, 6.5x47, 6.5 Creedmore.
6.5x284 is great but shorter barrel life it sounds like you don't want.

Does anyone besides Hornady make 6.5 creedmoor brass? I have been reading some mixed reviews on the quality of the Hornady brass.

Yes, Nosler has added 6.5cm to their 2013 line. My guess is more will probably follow soon. The .260 by far has more choices in brass right now if that's a problem and will have similar ballistics.

I would be interested in seeing what people have to say about the 7WSM comparing it to some of these other suggestions. I am going to build one as a duel purpose elk hunting/long range target gun and will likely reload. I have only minimal reload experience too

With the 6.5 creedmoor Will I want second $4000 rifle with a 7mm bullet in a couple years when I want to shoot a steel plate at 1500 yards? I like that the 6.5 creedmoor is designed for these longer bullets to help maintain velocity but my concern is the maximum effective range with wind for something that weighs only 140g. In the desert where I am shooting it can be a windy environment.

I own a .260 and have owned .308's, and shoot 7mm in WSM and RSAUM. I have shot all past 1000 yards. Hands down the .300WM I own is my favorite rifle. Bullets from 110gr=240gr allow you to take all sizes of game and you have the ability to shoot 1600 yards with the heavier bullets. Brass is readily available and I have achieved 1/4" groups from Remington and Winchester brass properly prepped. (this is a custom built tactical rifle but the brass doesn't keep it from attaining its maximum level of precision). Forced to choose one rifle, .300WM is my choice. A good muzzle brake will reduce recoil down so that it isn't an issue. Good luck on your purchase.

I'd suggest you go with a Savage action, build up your 6.5, 308 or what ever you like for now, then swap bolt face, mag and barrel and go with a 6.5x284 or maybe a 300mag, as mentioned, for your 1500yard work.

If you're looking at spending 4K for a rifle, with the Savage action, you can probably get your short range and long range setup complete for that price.

I'm unsure if the 284 require any special brass prep, maybe full length resize. But as to other special prep...depends on what you want to do.

If you're doing Benchrest shooting, yes, there is a lot of work. I'm not talking about just general shooting from a rest but true benchrest competition where a few thousandths of an inch can separate the top 3 positions. If you're just shooting 1/2 MOA for groups or shooting steel...don't bother, you'll never see the difference.

My case prep consists of chamfering the mouth, trimming and neck sizing...that's it.

I originally was planning on a .284 cartridge rifle, however, it seems that there is a lot of work that goes into preparing the brass, and I don't see any good sources (eg. lapua) for the brass.

My Match Brass Prep for 284:
Run through Die
Prime
Pour in ample amount 4831sc
seat 162 A Max
Repeat.

That is it,and it works beautiful!

.308 is a nice choice to start, and you can switch to 6.5 Creedmoor, .260, or a number of other useful and common calibers simply by switching barrels later on.

You are correct, way easier to start with really good ammo.

If you don't like the idea of a 308, then I would suggest the 6.5 creedmoor. Reason being they both have good to excellent factory match ammo available, and reloading is a wash. Ive never known a round to be any harder to reload for really, but I would strongly recommend the ability to buy quality factory match ammo. When I re chambered my match rifle I went 6.5cm so I didn't HAVE to reload 500 rounds at a time. Very happy with that decision 2 weeks out from the bushnell brawl.

short and sweet answer... since you felt the need to ask on the forum...

.243 or .308 both are idiot proof... easy to reload for.. tons of data. easy to buy factory ammo... easy to buy componates. cut your teeth on one of these and then try out some wildcat odd ball deal!

Since you already have a lot of experience with shooting and your only concern is reloading. The best way to do is to reload your existing caliber you shoot the most. Use once fired brass from your earlier shooting to gain first hand reloading experience is the easiest and cheapest way to find your answer. After you are confidence about reloading, pick the caliber you like the most. Then, enjoy your favorite custom-made.

Go with the 6.5 creedmor. I've got .300's , .308's, ar15's .223 encore, 17hmr ,.280 ect..., and by far the Creedmor is my favorite. Brass is not like the normal Hornady brass. It almost seems like this is hornadys pride and joy (I guess since they came up with it). I've got several pieces I've shot 9 times just to see longevity. Still kicking. As far as manufactures ammo it is the best I've ever seen.

I started with a 308 many years back. I now shoot a 260 rem. with 139 scenars under h4350. Lapua brass is good to go for a 260. 260 is easy to load and shoots lights out in my GAP. I wish I would have started with a 6.5 years ago. SW ammo and Copper Creek Cartridge offer excellent 260 ammo, when I don't feel like loading!