• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best LRF for under $500?? Sig Kilo 2200, Leupold 1200?

glockguy56

Private
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2017
Looking to get a finder and have found a Sig kilo 2200 for $350 and the leupold rx-1200i TBR for $250. Going to be used for elk hunting and ranging steel targets at the range.

Looking at the descriptions alone the Sig seems the way to go but I have found numerous reviews online saying they received faulty Sig 2000's and that they were hit and miss. Have the problems been fixed with the 2200 model? and what are your experiences/recommendations with LRF's?

Even when you sort of get a "miss" on the 2200, its better than the Leupold. Get the sig from a reputable place like cabelas and if it isn't satisfactory return it. The only lasers better than the sig is $2000+.
I have the Sig 2400 and it is a slight cut above the 2200 lasing wise...at $1500.

I purchased a Kilo 2200 from member khdudley13. Great person to deal with and I'm happy with the performance. I believe he sells them regularly in the PX.

I agree that to beat the performance of the 2200, a big jump in money is needed.

2200 is the way to go. I have one and can range out target trailer at 1800 yards. Hard to beat at the price point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Picked up the 2200 during my lunch break. Tested it shortly and so far so good. Cant wait to take it out to the range on friday.

Had the Sig2200 and finally took it to ELR shooting last week. It wouldn't range anything pass 600 yards. Target was a 36" steel plate at 2080 yards. Can't range brushes beyond approximate 600 yards. Ranging was on the flat surface with mild mirage. I mount it on the tripod for more stability, still doesn't work. My buddy happen to have the sig2400 and his unit can't range anything pass 600 yards too. We try to range the 2nd tower from the picture and nothing happen...... Another buddy try with his sig2000 wouldn't range the steel plate too. When i got back home, i can range a building from my backyards up to 2200 yards. i guess it performances differently in harsh environment. I doubt all 3 units are defective.

20171119_071547.jpg

Attachments

• 20171119_071547.jpg
    20171119_071547.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I previously used a leupold rx-2 for mostly archery , sometimes id try to range a 25x30 inch piece of white target paper with very little luck even when mounted. for bow hunting or anything very reflective its great.
i picked up a sig 2200mr from a dealer on here at a decent cost too! So far, i have ranged deer out to 752 yards . and turkey at around 400 something i just forget . i also have ranged houses and buildings bc there ezer to find then deer sometimes lol out to 2260 if i recall correctly. I was amazed how fast this thing is, i cant stress enough the speed of returns! i like the smaller aiming circle . As long as it dont stop ranging im very happy for what i paid

Very bizarre. I range stuff at 1500+ in that same sort of environment with the 2400 in CO all the time.

Also, a steel plate at 2080m will be very challenging for the sig. while rated for that sort of range, it isn't going to be easy to get on at that distance.

If you are 2km plus, get the vectronix or similar. I look forward to reviews on the Leica 2700B which also might work well.

Cabelas had the Sig 2200 at $ 350 yesterday . Waiting to see reviews
on the new Leica 2700 , bean divergence is much better ( smaller ) than
the Sig .

I have the Leupold 1200 and it has trouble getting anything to range past 800 yards. 600-700 is the max on most days. I just got the Leica 2000 last week and I’m very impressed with it. Was ranging a barn at 1981 and a field at 1850 both freehand. Haven’t had a chance to test it on steel yet.

Ranging across flat ground with a decent amount of mirage has been difficult for my LRF's also. I have had days where the furthest I can range a cow is 700ish and others where I can hit them out to 1500. Environmental conditions definitely play a role.

Have you used the active junky site? It sounds appealing but also sounds like a scam to get card info

Yeah, I have.

Not sure how or why it all works but I've received back around $90 back from Active Junky.

I have a SIG 2200 and and the Leica 1200 and really like the SIG. Very good value that I highly recommend. The best one If have owned so far by a wide margin.

Found a nice spot to shoot 1400 meters yesterday , hilltop
to hilltop over an 1800 ft valley . Could not get a return from
my Sig 2200 on big trees , rocks or the grassy hillside .
This same unit has delivered a 3200 meter return off a
building before - I don’t shoot buildings though !

Fortunately we had dropped a pin in Geoballistics for range .
Regretting selling my Terrapin today , even though I made over
$ 1k on it .....

I have the sig 2200 as well and had a hard time ranging past 600 yards. So what I did was use reflector tape I had left over after painting my trailer you know the red and silver strips with the adhesive on the back. I was able to range out to 1760 repeatedly. It’s not the most ideal way but I’m not a hunter so the tape is cheap enough.