• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best magnification for 1000 yard F-class

shortstick

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
Kentucky
I am wanting to get into f-class shooting and was wondering what magnification would be best. Fixed or variable doesn't matter, but at what magnification does mirage wash-out the scope and make it unusable? Thanks for any and all help.

Re: Best magnification for 1000 yard F-class

Obviously depends on the weather. That is why, IMHO, a variable is better if going high-magnification. The 12-42x NF is a good choice in a variable. If going fixed, I personally wouldn't go that high.

Although I have a 6-24X scope, because of mirage I often find myself shooting at 18X to 20X.

Don

I have an 8-32 but stick to 16-20 depending on the mirage.

Usually run in the 16 to 18 power range. Have used 20 a couple times but it has to be pretty sweet conditions for that.

F-Open or F T/R?

I run a 8-32X56 in F-Open, almost always at 32X.

Run a 5.5-22X50 in F T/R, almost always at 22X.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F-Open or F T/R?

I run a 8-32X56 in F-Open, almost always at 32X.

Run a 5.5-22X50 in F T/R, almost always at 22X.
</div></div>

Open, I have a h-bar with 1/9 barrel that I thought about tring ft/r but not at 1000. The only group that does the f-class shooting that I can find close shoots at 1000 at Fort Knox.

I set my 3.5-15X50 Nightforce NXS to 15 and never had a problem. 10" to 13" five shot groups all day long.

The Williamsport boys like the 12x42. Check with Bill Shehane as he is a NF dealer and 1000 yard guru.

I run a 12-42NF br on my x47
Mag setting depends on conditions i tend to run on high end.

Like USSR, I run a 6-24X, and typically use magnifications at around 18X-20X for midday Summer-ish 1000yd shooting. Mirage tends to make the higher mags less attractive at the greater distances. But the higher mags become more useable at shorter distances, where mirage can often be less disruptive, so I do get to use the top-end mags quite a bit anyway. Nowadays, my shooting is mostly done at 200yd, and the 24X magnification makes a big difference. I had initially swapped out the 6-24X for a Weaver V-16 (4X-16X) based on the asssumption that more was not needed at that distance, and found that swapping back improved my overall performance after all.

The moral of this story, if there is one, is that current needs are often overshadowed by events, and adaptability is desirable, even if the need does not appear so great at the time one makes one's money decisions. Let your capacities be more flexible, rather than less so.

Greg

I love the moral of your post. Now please tell me again what you are trying to say; I could not quite make it out.

I find in F-class that most newcomers saddle themselves with scopes that do not have enough magnification, many of them saying they heard horror stories about "mirage" on the Internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F-Open or F T/R?</div></div>

I have yet to determine how class would determine scope magnification. Same target @ same distance.

Moral: avoid choices that limit your capabilities.

I used a 5.5-22x50 NF and also saw through a 8-32x56 NF-- both were very good.

I'm now using an S&B 5-25x56--excellent. I didn't really need the difference for 1000Y, but I found the S&B gave me resolution to see bullet holes on high vis targets at up to 500Y when mirage was low.

Sir
for what it is worth I shoot a straight 20X Supersniper (good value) and it works OK at 1000. Mirqage is sometimes an issue on hotter days. My next scope will be a varible power to help deal with mirage.
Good luck and good thought to post here - these guys are great with info.

Better to have more mag and not use it, than be wanting more after dropping $$ on a good scope

Nightforce 12-42x56 Benchrest scope. Awesome scope that will serve you well!

I use a 12-42x56 Nightforce for F-Class and sling shooting from 300-1000yd. I mainly use the highest power and rarely dial down. I will dial down at the lower distance so that I can see the number boards

22 lb rifle on rest and rear bag in open class is a lot more stable than a 18ish lb rifle on bipod and bag in F T/R.

5.5-22X50 is also touch lighter than the 8-32X56. Most open rifles have weight to spare, plenty of F T/R rifles do not.

Thamks - I settled on a Sightron SIII 8-32X56 SF - I'll let you knwo hwo I like it and how it performs once I get it.

BTW +1 for Scott at Liberty Optics!

Scott Berish
> Liberty Optics LLC
> An Official Vendor of Sniper's Paradise & Sniper's Hide.
> "See Better, Shoot Better"
> www.libertyoptics.com
> 406-890-2714 (W)
> 352-572-1469 (C)

I think you made a good choice. The target dot is 1/4 MOA and the adjustments are 1/4 MOA also. With 70 MOA of total travel you will be well served with this scope. I look forward to a report and your impressions with this scope.

Those scopes are the best I swear! I have the 6-24x50 and love it. I debated whether or not to go with the 8-32x56 but it was a little much for my gun. You will love the scope.