• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Best method for aligning a base and receiver?

glock24

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2006
    West Michigan
    After mounting my Stiller 20 MOA base to my Stiller TAC30 action, I added a pair of 34mm Seekins rings and a Premier 3-15x.

The damn thing took almost 6 mils of windage to obtain a 100 meter zero! This is the most windage I've ever had to use, especially on a semi-custom receiver.

I tried lapping the rings, but that only brought it back about 0.3 mils.

My question is, have I overlooked something important when mounting the base? I can tell you I paid no attention to how the base fit (left to right), I simply added the Torx screws and tightened 'em up. Normally I do bed the base, but this one fit very good and I saw no need to do so.

Is there a preferred method for mounting a base? Should I have left all the screws loose and then pushed the base one way or the other to account for any slop in the screw holes?

I mounted the rings using the normal "push foward" and torque procedure, so I feel the rings aren't the problem.

Thanks

Re: Best method for aligning a base and receiver?

Anybody?

I guess this means you guys simply slap on the base and torque it down as well.

Any suggestions on taking out some of that excessive windage? Should I consider this excessive windage?

Re: Best method for aligning a base and receiver?

You should check to see if the base is level on the receiver if not bed it. All you need to do is place the rifle with bipod mounted on a level table. Put a small level on the top of the base. I have had bases that mount nice and level and some that have to be bedded to be level.

You can check to see if the base is off, your receiver and or the screw holes. Just place the base on a level table and put a level on top. It's probably not the base. The holes in the receiver could be drilled a little off center.

If none of the above is the problem, I don't know.

GC